In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Decker

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Decker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

M1k3_Nix wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2007356/Shocked-woman-dies-funeral-heart-attack.html

Story
Spoiler:
A woman died from a heart attack caused by shock after waking up to discover she had been declared dead - and was being prepared for burial.

As mourning relatives filed past her open coffin the supposedly dead woman suddenly woke up and started screaming as she realised where she was.
Fagilyu Mukhametzyanov, 49, had been wrongly declared deceased by doctors but died for real after hearing mourners saying prayers for her soul to be taken up to heaven in Kazan, Russia.
Fagilyu Mukhametzyanov pictured with her husband Fagili. The Russian woman died from shock after waking up at her own funeral
Devastated husband Fagili Mukhametzyanov, 51, had been told his wife had died of a heart attack after she'd collapsed at home suffering from chest pains.
Mr Mukhametzyanov said: 'Her eyes fluttered and we immediately rushed her back to the hospital but she only lived for another 12 minutes in intensive care before she died again, this time for good.
'I am very angry and want answers. She wasn’t dead when they said she was and they could have saved her.'

Hospital spokesman Minsalih Sahapov said: 'We are carrying out an investigation.'

Reckon this was a jaw drop funeral moment....

Well...good thing they had a coffin already I suppose.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

M1k3_Nix wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2007356/Shocked-woman-dies-funeral-heart-attack.html

Story
Spoiler:
A woman died from a heart attack caused by shock after waking up to discover she had been declared dead - and was being prepared for burial.

As mourning relatives filed past her open coffin the supposedly dead woman suddenly woke up and started screaming as she realised where she was.
Fagilyu Mukhametzyanov, 49, had been wrongly declared deceased by doctors but died for real after hearing mourners saying prayers for her soul to be taken up to heaven in Kazan, Russia.
Fagilyu Mukhametzyanov pictured with her husband Fagili. The Russian woman died from shock after waking up at her own funeral
Devastated husband Fagili Mukhametzyanov, 51, had been told his wife had died of a heart attack after she'd collapsed at home suffering from chest pains.
Mr Mukhametzyanov said: 'Her eyes fluttered and we immediately rushed her back to the hospital but she only lived for another 12 minutes in intensive care before she died again, this time for good.
'I am very angry and want answers. She wasn’t dead when they said she was and they could have saved her.'

Hospital spokesman Minsalih Sahapov said: 'We are carrying out an investigation.'

Personally, I would have liked a headline suggesting the woman dying (again) from the realization that she was a zombie.
I looked out across the river today …

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:15 pm UTC

Story
Spoiler:

Heaven is apparently located in Kazan, Russia.
/themoreyouknow
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

faranim

Postby faranim » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

Apartment Complex uses DNA samples to fine residents who fail to scoop their dog's poop

Spoiler:
LEBANON, N.H. -- The management of a new apartment complex in Lebanon is asking residents with pets to submit DNA samples from their dogs to determine who's leaving dog waste around the complex.

Debbie Violette, the apartment manager at Timberwood Commons, said she's fed up with residents who aren't scooping up after their dogs.

"I don't want it to get any worse, and it's not acceptable the way it is," she said.

So, she took matters into her own hands by purchasing commercial DNA sampling kits to find the perpetrators. She said the samples taken from each dog using a cheek swab will be sent to a lab.

The next step is a dirty job, but Violette said someone has to do it.

"We have to take a sample of the dog doo doo," she said.

The lab will then match it with the DNA on file. Violette said she's serious about tracking down owners who don't clean up after their pets.

While some residents said DNA testing is a bit unorthodox, they said it beats the alternative.

"I think the DNA is a little way over the top," said resident Billy Clough. "Coming out in your dress shoes first thing in the morning, you step in a pile. That's no fun."

Violette said she doesn't know how much the fine will be for anyone caught using the DNA evidence. But she said it's all just an effort to keep the new apartment complex clean.

Not totally sure why I find this funny, perhaps because it seems like such a huge amount of effort for such a minor thing.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

Living in a country where surveillance powers granted to counter crime & terrorism have been used to spy on people letting their dogs poop, I find that more depressing than surprising. At least it's been stopped here.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Greyarcher

Postby Greyarcher » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:32 am UTC

I got a good laugh from a BBC article about Canada and the visiting royal folks.

I'm surprised someone used a phrase like "support for Crown rule" without being tongue in cheek. Ties to the monarchy are a practically irrelevant historical throwback. "Crown rule" indeed--there's nothing worthy of the name.
In serious discussion, I usually strive to post with clarity, thoroughness, and precision so that others will not misunderstand; I strive for dispassion and an open mind, the better to avoid error.

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:55 am UTC

Eight States Have Banned Tylenol In Anti-Marijuana Hysteria

http://beyondchronic.com/2011/06/eight- ... marijuana/

Spoiler:
It’s called the Law Of Unintended Consequences, also known as “what happens when a bunch of ignorant legislators try to interfere with people’s lives without having a clue.”

According to a press release apparently from the Retail Compliance Association (a trade association for sellers of “synthetic marijuana”, a.k.a. “spice”), eight states, including Texas, Wisconsin, and Florida, have effectively banned Tylenol in their ban-braining zeal:

“What we are finding is amazing, everything from artificial chocolate flavor, to synthetic motor oil contains analogues to the synthetic cannabinoids that have been banned, it’s brand new science, these receptors are responsible for so many bodily functions that it seems impossible that the new laws did not go way overboard in their extremely vague descriptions of potentially banned compounds,” said Daniel Francis, Executive Director of the RCA.

The specific language in Texas SB 331 says ”any quantity of a synthetic chemical compound that is a cannabinoid receptor agonist and mimics the pharmacological effect of naturally occurring cannabinoids…”

As regular readers may remember, I found out back in February that one of the ways Tylenol works is by activating the CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptors in the body. This was all written up in an article that I just realized was also the precursor to my FDA Profiles series on The 420 Times.

I’ve looked up the Texas statute, and indeed it was passed, signed by the Governor of Texas, and will go into effect September 1. So, I guess we can expect to see SWAT raids on every pharmacy, supermarket, and Costco warehouse in Texas by Labor Day.

The legislators involved won’t have a bit of shame, or see their own hypocrisy, but we can just add this to the pile of evidence already showing that marijuana prohibition is a farce at best and a deliberate ongoing conspiracy to control citizens for power and money at worst. The chemistry part is just more proof that cannabis and the human body (and mind) are inextricably linked, and the sooner legislators understand that it’s natural (and, dare I say, NORML to ingest marijuana), the better it will be for all humankind.

Proud to be Texan. :oops:

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:14 am UTC

Roundabout revolution coming to USA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13863498 I made up that headline which I think would be better :)

It's also funny the comments about people who resist roundabouts -
But beyond Carmel, there has been greater resistance to them. One newspaper columnist in Atlanta says this undesirable European import will lead to higher taxes and accidents.

And Dan Neil, a motoring journalist at the Wall Street Journal who personally welcomes their arrival, thinks there is something deep in the American psyche which is fundamentally opposed to them.

"This is a culture predicated on freedom and individualism, where spontaneous co-operation is difficult and regimentation is resisted.

"You see it in the way Americans get in line, or as the Brits say, queue. We don't do that very well.

"Behind the wheel, we're less likely to abide by an orderly pattern of merging that, though faster for the group, make require an individual to slow down or, God forbid, yield."

Americans tend to be orthogonal in their thinking and behaviour, he says.

"We like right angles, yes and no answers, Manichean explanations. Roundabouts require more subtlety than we're used to."
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:49 am UTC

Link to the Atlanta commenter.

Rotaries are where four streets intersect and merge into a circle. Motorists drive round and round, just guessing which one has the right of way and trying to figure out how to exit. Some believe this to be the origin of the word roundabout.

Until now, this type of motoring nightmare has been limited to European countries, British television, and inebriated college students after any home football victory. Mostly this novelty has been laughed at by Americans, but not anymore. There’s one being constructed in our fair county, and downtown is ground zero.

There’s an old saying, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Growing up at 110 Flamingo Street we had another saying, “If it’s broke, I didn’t do it.” When it comes to driving we have a rather simple system in the United States: red means stop, green means go, and yellow means ... well, that depends if there’s someone watching or not.

All in all the system works. Buy a bunch of stop signs and traffic lights and before you know it you have a thriving city — all funded by people who don’t stop at those traffic lights and stop signs. There’s balance in the universe. Not so when roundabouts come to town.

When four cars from four different directions approach an intersection outfitted with stop signs, the guy on the right goes first, then the person on his right, and so on. Everyone takes a turn. As systems goes this one is just about perfect for all — unless of course you don’t know your right from your left. In that case, you should just stay home and spend your time deciding which shoe goes on which foot. Hint: the one with the laces goes on the right foot.

Our traffic system works. Not so with a roundabout. There’s no right, or left, or even making a turn for that matter. To enter a roundabout one just takes a gap and gives a gap – simple by design. Yeah, right. Just ask how that gap thing has worked for those poor folks trying to access the highway in downtown Atlanta during rush hour.

The universe is out of whack when roundabouts are constructed and the economy suffers. Not one, but two industries are suddenly out of business. There’s no longer any need for stop signs or traffic lights. I ask you, in this economic climate, is this a time to put all those people out of work? But that’s just the beginning of the economic impact.

Roundabouts will have a devastating effect on the revenues of our county and city coffers. First, someone has to pay for the construction of roundabouts. That would be us. Importing those British engineers and constructions workers I’m sure wasn’t cheap. How they got in through Georgia’s new immigration law is amazing.

Second, with fewer stop signs and traffic lights it will mean fewer tickets ... fewer tickets less revenue ... less revenue higher taxes. Someone has to make up the shortfall. That also would also be us. Independence Day is right around the corner, and those Brits are causing us to pay higher taxes once again.

It’s going to be like getting stuck on Interstate 285, except you don’t have to drive all the way to Atlanta. There’s even a green space area complete with park benches. I guess so people can watch the show. Special note for them there revenuers: Charge admission. That could bring in more money in a month than all those previous traffic fines did in a year.

See, it’s a vicious circle. Hey, I bet if they rename roundabouts Vicious Circles, none would be built. I guess I could just go around the new roundabout and avoid the thing entirely, but that wouldn’t make much sense, now would it?

So for now, I’ll stand on my soapbox in the center of our downtown and shout NO! No to roundabouts! Rise up, fellow countians – it’s Independence Day once again. The Roundabouts are coming and with them will come higher taxes, job losses, and huge increases in law enforcement overtime.

Who else do you think is going to help all those residents stuck in the roundabout find their way out? On second thought, overtime pay for our overworked and underpaid police officers ... maybe roundabouts might not be such a bad idea after all.

I’ve even heard our neighboring city has a double roundabout. Instead of going round and round, they get stuck doing figure eights in a parking lot — just like those inebriated college students after home football victories.

Great, a town full of drunken college students. Yep, this roundabout thing is going to work out just fine.

That right, folks. Roundabouts mean higher taxes and job losses. It's a wonder that Britain isn't a third world country, what with all these roundabouts festooning the place.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE TRAFFIC LIGHTERS?

Postby Felstaff » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 am UTC

The universe is out of whack when roundabouts are constructed and the economy suffers. Not one, but two industries are suddenly out of business. There’s no longer any need for stop signs or traffic lights. I ask you, in this economic climate, is this a time to put all those people out of work? But that’s just the beginning of the economic impact.

It's a common fact that the government replaces all traffic lights and STOP signs every two weeks anyway, just to keep Joel H. Stopsigner & Co in business.

Anyway, the universe is out of whack when stop-lights are put up and the economy suffers. Not one, but two industries are suddenly out of business. There's no longer any need for construction workers or architectural engineers. I ask you, in this economic climate, is this a time to refuse these people work? But that's just the beginning of the economic impact.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:It's a common fact that the government replaces all traffic lights and STOP signs every two weeks anyway, just to keep Joel H. Stopsigner & Co in business.

And that is after the invention of switchable electric lights. Before that, stopsigners painted the "lights" green and red every turn. I think at their peak, they employed something like 0.7% of the entire workforce. All unemployed now.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:38 am UTC

all those stop signs are going to have to be replaced with roundabout signs anyway.

also roundabouts are good places for little gardens, which will brighten your day! and give work to landscape gardeners and other such people.

not to mention the savings in brake pads and taking less time to get to work, and less traffic.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:41 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:all those stop signs are going to have to be replaced with roundabout signs anyway.

also roundabouts are good places for little gardens, which will brighten your day! and give work to landscape gardeners and other such people.

not to mention the savings in brake pads and taking less time to get to work, and less traffic.

No no, roundabouts are strange and confusing, and therefore must be opposed.

Edit: otherwise it's a slippery slope towards this.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:47 am UTC

Their greatest fear is that it's a slippery slope towards this, though.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:50 am UTC

And they're right to fear it. One minute you're using an apparently innocuous road feature from Europe, the next minute BAM, you've caught communism off them.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:02 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:And they're right to fear it. One minute you're using an apparently innocuous road feature from Europe, the next minute BAM, you've caught cooties off them.

FTFY

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:04 am UTC

That explains why I'm left-wing! Proximity and visits to Milton Keynes as a child.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:06 am UTC

Also, they make you dizzy so you can't think properly. Makes you dizzy enough to think that more roundabouts are a good idea. It's a vicious circle (pun intended).

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:09 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Also, they make you dizzy so you can't think properly. Makes you dizzy enough to think that more roundabouts are a good idea. It's a vicious circle (pun intended).

would have been funnier if the article you posted didn't use the exact same pun,

i think the biggest annoyance is the painted on "mini" roundabouts that started showing up in the last 10 years,

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:12 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Also, they make you dizzy so you can't think properly. Makes you dizzy enough to think that more roundabouts are a good idea. It's a vicious circle (pun intended).

would have been funnier if the article you posted didn't use the exact same pun,

D'oh.

i think the biggest annoyance is the painted on "mini" roundabouts that started showing up in the last 10 years,

I just ignore them for the most part and drive straight over them. It's the only way I know how to register my disgust for them.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:18 am UTC

They're not even roundabouts! You can't turn around on them!!! (Yes, I know it's possible, but it's against The Code)

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:23 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:

D'oh.

I just ignore them for the most part and drive straight over them. It's the only way I know how to register my disgust for them.

i protest them in a "work-to-rule" fashion

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:34 am UTC

When four cars from four different directions approach an intersection outfitted with stop signs, the guy on the right goes first

Maybe it's because I don't drive, but.. what? On whose right? Isn't everybody on those whacky American roads on the right?
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:43 am UTC

Goldstein wrote:
When four cars from four different directions approach an intersection outfitted with stop signs, the guy on the right goes first

Maybe it's because I don't drive, but.. what? On whose right? Isn't everybody on those whacky American roads on the right?

The commenter is talking about an intersection. If you and another car approach an intersection from different directions, and the other car is coming from your right s/he goes first.

Which is exactly how rundabouts work (at least in Holland), a roundabout is a perfectly normal road that just happens to be going in a circle. If you are on the roundabout people entering it are coming from your right and thus have right of way, unless it's differently signed. There's no self-organising cooperation required, its all covered by the rules.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:04 am UTC

There's four cars in his example. Every car has a car on its right. If it didn't, how could the car on the right of the car on the right go second, as he suggested?
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:14 am UTC

Goldstein wrote:There's four cars in his example. Every car has a car on its right. If it didn't, how could the car on the right of the car on the right go second, as he suggested?

Yeah, that was the joke.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:There's four cars in his example. Every car has a car on its right. If it didn't, how could the car on the right of the car on the right go second, as he suggested?

In this case, all parties are federally mandated to get into an accident.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:

Bah, the conundrum requires that licensed drivers know the official rules of the road in the first place. Everyone knows in the real rules of the road the most crazed motherf-er goes first.

This rule applies to intersections and roundabouts... and lane changes.. and on/off ramps... and straight sections of road...
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:

Yeah, that was the joke.

if that's true then it goes against the tone of the article which is against roundabouts, this joke would imply that the current system is flawed and roundabouts would fix the problem, right? unless the joke is the entire article.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:

Bah, the conundrum requires that licensed drivers know the official rules of the road in the first place. Everyone knows in the real rules of the road the most crazed motherf-er goes first.

This rule applies to intersections and roundabouts... and lane changes.. and on/off ramps... and straight sections of road...

Don't forget sidewalks.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

I don't really like roundabouts, although I don't fear dangerous European ideas. They make sense if you have more than two streets converging, and I can think of about a half dozen intersections that would be much improved by them, but elsewhere I don't see much benefit. Is the supposed efficiency gain even real? Or is it based on the sacred The Water Must Flow Doctrine of road design? I also don't like multilane roundabouts, like, why would I ever want to be in the interior lanes?

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:09 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:I also don't like multilane roundabouts, like, why would I ever want to be in the interior lanes?

Like, when you're turning right.

Or left, since I'm guessing you're US'ian and therefore drive on the wrong side of the road.

Here's a handy picture using some weird two-wheeled thingy as an example:

(If you're from the US or any country that drives on the wrong side of the road, just imagine that image mirrored left-to-right. And if you're from Australia imagine it upside down).
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:I also don't like multilane roundabouts, like, why would I ever want to be in the interior lanes?

Like, when you're turning right.

Or left, since I'm guessing you're US'ian and therefore drive on the wrong side of the road.

Here's a handy picture using some weird two-wheeled thingy as an example:

(If you're from the US or any country that drives on the wrong side of the road, just imagine that image mirrored left-to-right. And if you're from Australia imagine it upside down).

found a better image

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:if that's true then it goes against the tone of the article which is against roundabouts, this joke would imply that the current system is flawed and roundabouts would fix the problem, right? unless the joke is the entire article.

Yes, that's would I would guess. peple have been bitching about the roundabout, and this is a parody of them. He picks only the silly complaints. His example of "balance in the universe" is the very one every kid worries about when they first learn the rules of intersections: what if there's a car coming from all sides at exactly the same moment? Which he then "solves":
In that case, you should just stay home and spend your time deciding which shoe goes on which foot. Hint: the one with the laces goes on the right foot.
Hint: which of your shoes has the laces?

Is the supposed efficiency gain even real? Or is it based on the sacred The Water Must Flow Doctrine of road design?
Simplicity is the big one (although this is indeed a lot less in the multi-lane ones). If you approach a four-way intersection, you have to pay attention to several points, and which points depends on the action you want to take. If there is traffic approaching at those points, you have to take them all into account to judge whether you can make your move.

On a roundabout, you only have to watch one thing: is there a gap for me, or not. Of course, traffic lights accomplish the same goal, but they require complications and inefficiencies in timing. You constantly need empty time to clear the space before a next flow can start. And they adjust badly to variations in traffic amount: if there is little traffic and everyone could really just drive on, some lights will still be red.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

Also if someone rams a roundabout, you might have to replace an arrow sign and replant some flowers. It's more difficult to respond to someone ramming a traffic light.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Mittagessen

Postby Mittagessen » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:found a better image

Damn, I never saw it this way. I sincerely apologize to all drivers I've pissed off at that weird 4 lane autobahn-y roundabout in the Netherlands.

Roundabouts aren't made for American cars. I bet they're littered by tipped over SUVs all over the country. At least you get that offroad feeling when driving over that patch of gras in the middle.

EDIT: I just realized I drove around Carmel, IN a few years ago when those roundabouts were first installed. Back then they were literally death traps as most drivers weren't able or willing to figure out the right of way and just drove into the lane without looking left or right. I even remember people using it in the wrong direction, too.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

Well the problem, at least in Colorado anyway, is that they're installing these roundabouts with no "public service" style messages about how they're supposed to be used, the right of way in a roundabout, when to be in what lane, etc. etc. etc.

People who have been driving for decades get presented with this foreign traffic pattern thingy and are expected to work out all the details on these strange new road signs we've never seen before while moving with traffic behind us....

For the most part the majority of people are figuring it out (though I still see people making left turns by going backwards through the roundabout), but I'm sure there's important details where we're clearly "Doing It Wrong".
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Mittagessen

Postby Mittagessen » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:Well the problem, at least in Colorado anyway, is that they're installing these roundabouts with no "public service" style messages about how they're supposed to be used, the right of way in a roundabout, when to be in what lane, etc. etc. etc.

I got my driver's licence in Indiana and I remember that there's half a page in the driver's manual about proper roundabout usage, albeit only single lane. And honestly, if you end up on the "left side" of the road you're doing something wrong.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:14 am UTC

Massachusetts swimming pool used for two days while a woman's body lay unnoticed at the bottom

Spoiler:
Authorities in the US state of Massachusetts are trying to find out how a body lay unnoticed in a swimming pool for more than two days as the public continued to use the facility.

Marie Joseph, 36, had used a slide at the Veterans Memorial Pool in Fall River on Sunday but failed to return to the surface.

The body was found on Tuesday when teenagers broke in for a night swim.

The permit for the pool, described as "cloudy", had expired six months ago.

The woman's body went unnoticed when a city health inspector examined the pool earlier on Tuesday, Fall River mayor William Flanagan told the BBC.

It was found resting on the bottom of the swimming pool.

"The inspector approved the pool, but noted in his report that the water was cloudy", said Mr Flanagan, adding that the public pool had remained open to swimmers from Sunday through Tuesday.

The swimming pool had not previously been inspected in about a year, and its permit had expired on 31 December 2010.

Mr Flanagan has ordered the immediate inspection of 21 public and semipublic pools in the town, while Massachusetts has closed dozens of state-run swimming pools as the investigation into Ms Joseph's death continues.

Two inspectors, who had stopped by the pool on Monday, have been placed on administrative leave.

An autopsy on Ms Joseph's body has been completed but the results have not yet been published.

Ms Joseph, a native of Haiti, had five children and worked as a housekeeper at a hotel in the state of Rhode Island.

'Systematic breakdown'
Health officials sought to allay public concern, saying the chlorine in the water would have offered protection from any contamination.

State public health medical director Dr Lauren Smith said: "I want to reassure the public that, as disturbing as it is to you, there are no health risks associated with this."

State energy and environmental affairs secretary Richard Sullivan told the Associated Press: "The facts appear to indicate that a woman was in the water for a number of days and not noticed by staff, patrons or other inspections that may have taken place."

He said there had been "a breakdown systematically somewhere".

But he said he believed that normal procedures of checking pools after closure had been taken.

"We undergo a procedure with each and every one of our pools. We believe all of those were in place here."

Ms Joseph had reportedly entered the slide with a nine-year-old boy who noticed she had not resurfaced. The pool is at most 4m (12ft) deep.

One of Ms Joseph's friends said the boy had told a lifeguard Ms Joseph was missing but that no checks were done and her friends thought she had simply left the pool.

The body was found 58 hours later by a group of teenagers who jumped a locked fence at about 2200 on Tuesday.

One regular swimmer, Louie Cahill, told ABC: "The pool is 12ft deep. You cannot see anybody in the bottom of that pool."

A spokesman for the Bristol County district attorney, Gregg Miliote, told CNN that a decomposing body could take a couple of days before becoming buoyant.

It was even inspected the day before the body was found. The inspectors noted that the twelve foot deep pool was "cloudy", though they still approved it. All together now: ewwwww.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Return to “News & Articles”