In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

LaserGuy

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:23 pm UTC

Apple, Google, Adobe, Intel settle class-action lawsuit for $324 million with 64,000 employees for anti-trust activities. LucasFilm, Pixar, and Intuit have also already settled for smaller sums.

Plaintiffs claimed that the companies entered into agreements not to hire each others' employees in an attempt to depress wages in the industry. Had the case gone to trial, damages could have reached $9 billion.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:16 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Apple, Google, Adobe, Intel settle class-action lawsuit for $324 million with 64,000 employees for anti-trust activities. LucasFilm, Pixar, and Intuit have also already settled for smaller sums.

Plaintiffs claimed that the companies entered into agreements not to hire each others' employees in an attempt to depress wages in the industry. Had the case gone to trial, damages could have reached $9 billion.

That's about a $5000 bonus per person. Not really rectifying the problem of low wages, considering, but still a nice boon, I guess.

I wonder if this means hiring managers will be required to hire from the other firms, then.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:That should've been the matrix sequels, where it turned out everyone was in their own personal paradise, but it was causing humanity to die off because everyone was to busy playing video games to save the real world. But nooo, people clearly came for the Kung fu and not the sci fi philosophical mind screws. Thus, the sequels.

I was thinking more like Planetside 2, where there's a persistent world with specific goals and other teams to fight, but no actual danger. All humans would be plugged into the same game, but they could only talk to teammates and wouldn't know the enemy teams are human too.

... I feel like somebody's already written this story. I've heard something like it before.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:46 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:That should've been the matrix sequels, where it turned out everyone was in their own personal paradise, but it was causing humanity to die off because everyone was to busy playing video games to save the real world. But nooo, people clearly came for the Kung fu and not the sci fi philosophical mind screws. Thus, the sequels.

I was thinking more like Planetside 2, where there's a persistent world with specific goals and other teams to fight, but no actual danger. All humans would be plugged into the same game, but they could only talk to teammates and wouldn't know the enemy teams are human too.

... I feel like somebody's already written this story. I've heard something like it before.

Digimon's done it a few times.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

malthrax

Postby malthrax » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:46 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:

Ender's Game... except the bugs are Russian.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:49 pm UTC

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:07 pm UTC

Please be out of context... please be out of context... please be out of context...

*reads article*

How does a teacher demonstrate such... lack of judgment?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:15 pm UTC

This is how I see it went down in her mind:
She was burnt out and looking for a new career. She realized stripping pays more than teaching. But she's 42, she can't just start stripping. She needs an angle. Idea! Get arrested for giving a student a lap dance. Become known as the lap dancing teacher. PROFIT!

**Edit**

For more fun reading, here's some commentary on the article itself. The comments at the bottom are a hoot. http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/story- ... 595421/all

Someone in the comments then said "What the hell is going on with the women in Aldine: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 376882.php"

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:54 pm UTC

Go Houston!
-Adam

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

There was a headline from the Kuwait Times today, that I cannot link to because link is broken, but I found humorous.

"Russia accused of seeking 'WW111'"

...would someone care explaining to me the 108 world wars I've apparently missed out on?

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:51 am UTC

Those'd be the ones we didn't count because the opponents weren't an existential threat to us as we brought the full might of our empires and imperial ambitions against them.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:13 am UTC

So apparently the former KKK leader who murdered three people in Kansas was arrested for having sex with a black transvestite prostitute, despite inciting violence against minorities and homosexuals:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/e ... -1.1767662
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:38 am UTC

Are we sure it's a black man dressed as a woman, and not a black trans woman?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:07 am UTC

yurell wrote:Are we sure it's a black man dressed as a woman, and not a black trans woman?

I don't think so, although as far as I can see, that's only relevant to the narrative if the KKK leader was (outwardly) transphobic but not homophobic, or vice versa.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:12 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:There was a headline from the Kuwait Times today, that I cannot link to because link is broken, but I found humorous.

"Russia accused of seeking 'WW111'"

...would someone care explaining to me the 108 world wars I've apparently missed out on?

That's funny and tragic.

108 Wars short?
No way!

We should have Wars in the Bank.
Who has been taking the Wars?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:21 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
Jave D wrote:So, in Minnesota. Guy on trial for murder, just for defending his life!

Of course, reading the article, it seems a little less clear. (...)

I understand the need and importance of self-defense, but all this seems a bit far too me. A bit crossing of the line. A bit, dare I say, bloody-minded and insane.

Am I missing some sarcasm here, or are you serious? A little less clear? He shot both of them when they posed absolutely no threat to him and he knew they posed no threat to him. He even deliberately executed the girl after he had initially only wounded her. And his actions beforehand clearly show that killing them both was his intention the moment he realized someone was breaking in. If that's only slightly crossing the line, what does it take to cross it completely?

Maybe to cross that line you have to live in a state that doesn't promote such incidents with a "stand your ground" law. Which Michigan has.

(Sign me: Not a fan of "stand your ground.")

Djehutynakht wrote:Man on trial for murder gets permission to hide huge "MURDER" tattoo during trial.

Long story short: Man accused of Murder has the word "MURDER" tattooed across in huge letters backwards across his neck.
State won't allow him to get it removed (tattoo artists can't go to him in prison) so they've agreed to let him wear a turtleneck instead to his trial.

He might want to be careful with his good character evidence; just one wrong word and it he could find himself ordered to expose it. "Goes to credibility."
In all fairness...

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:54 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
yurell wrote:Are we sure it's a black man dressed as a woman, and not a black trans woman?

I don't think so, although as far as I can see, that's only relevant to the narrative if the KKK leader was (outwardly) transphobic but not homophobic, or vice versa.

As the former leader of a bigoted organization I'm sure he was very well versed in the usage of the various terms, and only hated a subset of the LGBT community.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:35 am UTC

Adacore wrote:

It's relevant regardless because misgendering the sex worker in question is a bad thing in and of itself.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:52 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Adacore wrote:

It's relevant regardless because misgendering the sex worker in question is a bad thing in and of itself.

Do we have a reason to assume they were misgendered?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:18 am UTC

Diadem wrote:Do we have a reason to assume they were misgendered?

Sentences like "with a black prostitute who was really a man" ring alarm bells for me, given how often the media misgenders trans sex workers.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:41 am UTC

Yeah, I understand the concern. But I guess we can't be certain without a second source. Male transvestite sex workers are common enough that it's at least plausible that it really was a man.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:13 pm UTC

No, we aren't. But according to the link, it happened in 1980, which is ancient history in terms of trans nomenclature, what to speak of trans rights or trans identity theory. Back then, few people would've made the distinction, and that includes trans people themselves.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:

No, we aren't. But according to the link, it happened in 1980, which is ancient history in terms of trans nomenclature, what to speak of trans rights or trans identity theory. Back then, few people would've made the distinction, and that includes trans people themselves.

He had Sex in 1980?
And; He is still Alive?

Can he remember it?
Poor Thing. It's funny, now.

He is a Ragging Racist, Homophobe and he is told in his old age that he used to fuck Black Men Dressed as Women.

That shit is funny.
How did he take it?

Was there any proof?
Can he remember it?

Has he become self destructive?
Does he drink more?

If we lived in a more fun world,
we could ask him to show up at the Psych Lab at a good school.

It is so funny to watch the skin temperature of people when exposed to visual and tactile stimuli.
Police Departments in the US have that sort of Technology. Not all. Some.

Some of those little cameras can Zoom In.
In a Psych Lab that is fun.
In a Police Cage it is less fun.

For me.
Maybe for you, too.

Random Thought:
In a Psych Lab either side of the Camera is fun.
In a Police Cage only the Observer has fun?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:05 pm UTC

Driver that struck teen suing dead boy's family

Now the driver of the SUV, Sharlene Simon, 42, a mother of three, formerly from Innisfil, is suing the dead boy for the emotional trauma she says she has suffered. She’s also suing the two other boys, as well as the dead boy’s parents, and even his brother, who has since died. She’s also suing the County of Simcoe for failing to maintain the road.

Well then.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

It seems a little Dark.
Humans have a Dark Side.

For me, it is not easy to Laugh at grieving parents.
Unless I know them. Then it seems to be Required.

Graveside humor is strange stuff.
It often Repeats like Cucumbers.

Drowning tears with laughter seems so upside down.
Somehow it works.

Then when it repeats, laughter is drowned in tears.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:45 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:Driver that struck teen suing dead boy's family

Now the driver of the SUV, Sharlene Simon, 42, a mother of three, formerly from Innisfil, is suing the dead boy for the emotional trauma she says she has suffered. She’s also suing the two other boys, as well as the dead boy’s parents, and even his brother, who has since died. She’s also suing the County of Simcoe for failing to maintain the road.

Well then.

wat dafuq.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:51 pm UTC

Wow, she seems pretty horrible.

I mean, I could get traumatic stress. I could see it. But to demand money? It seems to me the point of the stress in the first place is the guilt over killing someone. To subsequently demand money from them seems absolutely contrary to that point.

I obviously don't know enough about the case to say if she was explicitly at fault (she was really only going... roughly 5-6 miles over the speed limit, which isn't horrible, but generally road regulations call for slowing down in rainy/poor conditions), but a claim to money is absurd.

(on that grounds, at least, I'd say the family has the right to countersue her for their own emotional trauma)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:08 pm UTC

Ok, that has to be fake, or critical info is missing. If she's suing, she's hiring an attorney to do so. Despite the public perception, attorneys do NOT like to sue just for anything; a frivolous lawsuit is a huge black mark on an attorney's record, and too many and the attorney gets disbarred.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:34 am UTC

solune wrote:Most worrying is this:
The caller could face multiple charges and may also be required to foot the bill for Tuesday’s police response, which is estimated at $100,000.

Isn't that a classic example of the (very wrong) Eggshell skull doctrine ?

I actually found this to be a pretty fair number.

The FBI is assisting Long Island cops to find the gamer behind a hoax call that brought more than 70 heavily armed officers to the home of a teen who had just defeated him in an online game of Call of Duty.

A prank caller pretending to be Rafael Castillo, 18, of Long Beach, called the police Tuesday and said he killed his mother and brother. SWAT teams, hostage negotiators, ambulance and dozens of police officers surrounded Castillo’s home on Laurelton Boulevard.

That's hundreds of people getting involved at a moment's notice, not to mention all the behind-the-scenes support staff, vehicles (helicopters, ambulances, etc). And all of these factors seem reasonable when we're talking about a situation when a person claims to have murdered and is potentially hostile to others.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:46 pm UTC

See, your assumption there is that this sort of response is warranted even if the call is legitimate.

That part, many of us have problems with. Initial response to a call maybe doesn't need to consist of enough force to invade a small country.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

Project Cars (one of the most "realistic" car simulators) vs Real Life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jc51w_VCzE
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:32 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:Driver that struck teen suing dead boy's family

Well then.

From what I read, this is in response to a "routine suit" that was levied on her for being the driver, and that, despite her speeding, the boys on the bikes were also riding in an unsafe formation, without concessions to visibility.

So, while this is kind of a crappy thing to do, and because of the speeding I'm not inclined to support her, it seems like this is kind of a "I HAVE to countersue" due to being sued by the family before any wrongdoing was actually detected. More of a symptom of a shitty system.

Aaaaaaand the comments for that article already contain people looking up her personal information and deciding to harass her. Yaaaaaaaaay internet, you make me so, like, proud and shit.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:14 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:See, your assumption there is that this sort of response is warranted even if the call is legitimate.

That part, many of us have problems with. Initial response to a call maybe doesn't need to consist of enough force to invade a small country.

I agree.
What the Hell??

One Hundred professionals?
Really? How Stupid.

It is a good way to justify oppression.
It is a good way to extra money and prestige.

Every time those guys put on that outfit, they make Money.
It is something like 75.00 dollars per hour. Hazard pay.

I don't mind professionals getting paid to do their jobs.
I think the Job is defined Wrong and is being done Wrong.

The money is good enough to make setting up some Idiot Gamer look like the Right Thing to do.
Those guys play on-line games, too. Piss them off and wait. Warn your poor Mom.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:53 am UTC

Polish stadium guard sets fan on fire.

It was only for a second. And he was reportedly not injured.

Still, cool photo.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:16 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:See, your assumption there is that this sort of response is warranted even if the call is legitimate.

I decided to look up the number of sworn officers in the police forces of a few smaller cities around here. Lots of them don't have 70 officers, period. I can't begin to fathom how an initial response to one individual could reasonably take more officers than it takes to police a city of 35 000 around the clock. I mean, if you need that sort of overwhelming response for just one person, how on earth would those tiny police forces ever manage to deal with a couple of armed robbers?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:17 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:

I decided to look up the number of sworn officers in the police forces of a few smaller cities around here. Lots of them don't have 70 officers, period. I can't begin to fathom how an initial response to one individual could reasonably take more officers than it takes to police a city of 35 000 around the clock. I mean, if you need that sort of overwhelming response for just one person, how on earth would those tiny police forces ever manage to deal with a couple of armed robbers?

I would presume that smaller police forces get assistance from neighboring towns during major events.

A few years back, in the flat where I lived back then, a couple of mattresses stored in the basement caught fire. The emergency response consisted of 4 fire trucks, dozens of police cars and a mobile command center. After things calmed down I spent an hour chatting with one of the volunteer firemen at the scene, and one of the things I asked him was why such a huge response. The answer was basically that fires are very unpredictable, and smoke is dangerous in a flat if it gets in the ventilation. So they had to evacuate pretty much the entire flat, and smash open every door where no one answered (which was most of them, since it happened during the Christmas break). The response turned out to be hugely over the top, but they had no way of knowing it was over the top beforehand. It's better to err on the side of caution.

I imagine much the same is true here. The report may have said the people were dead, but it's better to send an ambulance just in case. Imagine the uproar if they had not sent an ambulance, and someone died as a result? There were 2 reported victims, so at least 2 ambulances are needed, plus 1-2 on stand bye in case this turns into a shooting match. Sending a SWAT team in is entirely sensible, given the nature of the report. Add a few negotiators. Add some officers to keep the public away, and more officers to cordon of the area securely (don't want the suspect escaping!). Honestly I can quickly see that adding up to 70 people.

The thing of course is that this still doesn't add up to $100,000. Costs like that are largely fictional. If you add up all the salaries of people involved, and the cost of material, and stuff like that, you might get to $100,000. But those salaries have to be paid anyway, and that equipment has to be bought anyway. The actual cost is minimal (gasoline, basically, and a bit of wear-and-tear on equipment). It's like hospitals and MRI machines. A machine costs a few million, which translates to a few thousand per photo. But the actual cost of the photo is still nearly zero. Making extra photos only costs money if they make so many that they need a second MRI. But the fictitious cost of a few thousand per photo is still what they charge patients, because they have to recover the initial investment somehow, and once they start making exceptions in some cases...

While hospitals sending a bill for fictitious cost is normal, police doing the same is not. Police don't bill the public for their services, they are paid for via taxes. So billing is not normal practice, and is basically a fine for bad behavior. I'm fine with fining bad behavior, but a $100,000 fine is excessive.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:49 am UTC

Diadem wrote:The thing of course is that this still doesn't add up to $100,000. Costs like that are largely fictional. If you add up all the salaries of people involved, and the cost of material, and stuff like that, you might get to $100,000. But those salaries have to be paid anyway, and that equipment has to be bought anyway. The actual cost is minimal (gasoline, basically, and a bit of wear-and-tear on equipment). It's like hospitals and MRI machines. A machine costs a few million, which translates to a few thousand per photo. But the actual cost of the photo is still nearly zero. Making extra photos only costs money if they make so many that they need a second MRI. But the fictitious cost of a few thousand per photo is still what they charge patients, because they have to recover the initial investment somehow, and once they start making exceptions in some cases...

While hospitals sending a bill for fictitious cost is normal, police doing the same is not. Police don't bill the public for their services, they are paid for via taxes. So billing is not normal practice, and is basically a fine for bad behavior. I'm fine with fining bad behavior, but a $100,000 fine is excessive.

If it isn't a fine, it might be the case that different departments "bill" other departments for use of their time and resources. So using another department's resources comes out of your department's budget. This happens in companies sometimes, particularly large corporations. So perhaps $100,000 is how much it costs to "hire" 70 armed cops, ambulances and any other hardware or services.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:48 am UTC

Also, even if a personal fine of a few thousand would stop this idiodic act from this ignorant ... so many insults for the like him, anyway, a few thousand may stop him again, the threat of 100,000 has a much better change of deterring other's thinking of copying this 'game'. And it's not like the government would get their money for the longest time.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:42 am UTC

Diadem wrote:But those salaries have to be paid anyway.

Police, at least in the US, are generally paid hourly. And they get time and a half overtime when they get pulled out for something like this. So it's entirely possible that all or most of those 70 officers were pulling down $60-$100 per hour in pay + overtime + benefits. So legitimate personnel expenses exclusively caused by this incident could easily run into the tens of thousands.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

firechicago wrote:
Diadem wrote:But those salaries have to be paid anyway.

Police, at least in the US, are generally paid hourly. And they get time and a half overtime when they get pulled out for something like this. So it's entirely possible that all or most of those 70 officers were pulling down $60-$100 per hour in pay + overtime + benefits. So legitimate personnel expenses exclusively caused by this incident could easily run into the tens of thousands.

not to be cynical, but that could be a good reason why the sent a small army.

Return to “News & Articles”