In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Red Hal » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:28 am UTC

In 'n' Out, for example. You can order a 4x4 Animal style. Of course, you can't order a 20x20 any more, but even a 4-by-4 is going to damage your arteries.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap

Tesla demonstrates their battery-swap technology. They "refill" an Electric-car's battery in 90-seconds. They didn't say how much this service would cost however... but demonstrates that battery-swapping can happen with Tesla cars.

For those unacquainted with the technology, it solves several difficult engineering problems. The Tesla battery pack is 992 lbs / 450 kg. Swapping out a half-ton battery in 90 seconds is an impressive feat indeed.

Unfortunately... $100k for an electric car is prohibitively expensive for most people. So this technology is clearly aimed at early-adopters only right now. That said, Tesla says they're finally working on an average-priced $30k car, which would definitely put electric cars in a price range that the typical person can enjoy. I think the future is bright for electric...
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

So basically, you replace the battery with a charged one, then someone else replaces their battery with your old battery, and so forth. Sounds good.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap

Tesla demonstrates their battery-swap technology. They "refill" an Electric-car's battery in 90-seconds. They didn't say how much this service would cost however... but demonstrates that battery-swapping can happen with Tesla cars.

For those unacquainted with the technology, it solves several difficult engineering problems. The Tesla battery pack is 992 lbs / 450 kg. Swapping out a half-ton battery in 90 seconds is an impressive feat indeed.

Unfortunately... $100k for an electric car is prohibitively expensive for most people. So this technology is clearly aimed at early-adopters only right now. That said, Tesla says they're finally working on an average-priced $30k car, which would definitely put electric cars in a price range that the typical person can enjoy. I think the future is bright for electric...

My understanding is that Telsa intentionally chose to make their signature vehicle a top-of-the-line sportscar so that they could effectively demonstrate how well the technology works without having to worry overly much about hitting a sensible price point. In some sense, the $100k vehicle is a prototype for more cost-effective models.

induction

Postby induction » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

Sizik wrote:
RollingHead wrote:I'm pretty sure the sandwich picture is shopped, the cheese slices obviously repeat themselves.

Doesn't necessarily mean the sandwich doesn't exist, though. Most fast-food ads are fake.

Example
r-HEALTHIER-TACO-BELL-large570.jpg

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Riot after Chinese teachers try to stop pupils cheating

By late afternoon, the invigilators were trapped in a set of school offices, as groups of students pelted the windows with rocks. Outside, an angry mob of more than 2,000 people had gathered to vent its rage, smashing cars and chanting: "We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat."

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Riot after Chinese teachers try to stop pupils cheating

By late afternoon, the invigilators were trapped in a set of school offices, as groups of students pelted the windows with rocks. Outside, an angry mob of more than 2,000 people had gathered to vent its rage, smashing cars and chanting: "We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat."

Wait what? Something lost in the translation, perhaps?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

They argue that cheating is endemic in China, so if their children can't cheat, they are behind the rest of the other children everywhere else.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

Oh, thank you. It makes more sense now. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth to that. EDIT: read the article. I'm not sure what I think the solution is.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Oh, thank you. It makes more sense now. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth to that. EDIT: read the article. I'm not sure what I think the solution is.

Maybe something like this.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
Роберт wrote:Oh, thank you. It makes more sense now. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth to that. EDIT: read the article. I'm not sure what I think the solution is.

Maybe something like this.

Wouldn't that ruin the point of those specific tests?

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:In 'n' Out, for example. You can order a 4x4 Animal style. Of course, you can't order a 20x20 any more, but even a 4-by-4 is going to damage your arteries.

A web search turned up this order (second picture, in the box) that looks like it might be a 40x40.
In all fairness...

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

British museum launches gay history guide

They've written a guide that focuses on the elements of homosexual history that can be found in their collection. I thought the idea was pretty cool.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Angua wrote:They argue that cheating is endemic in China, so if their children can't cheat, they are behind the rest of the other children everywhere else.

Pretty simple solution: Create a new test, and this new standardized test is simply set as "no cheating". Admit the previous test is a failure in culture, and has been ruined by cheaters. The new test will be more strictly monitored.

Of course, the costs of running two standardized tests will be twice as much, but with infinite resources, that might be the best solution to this kind of problem.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Pretty simple solution: Create a new test, and this new standardized test is simply set as "no cheating". Admit the previous test is a failure in culture, and has been ruined by cheaters. The new test will be more strictly monitored.

Yeah, the problem would be getting everyone, including the schools, to agree to do so. Its a prisoners dilemma where you know there is not just one but an endemic infestation of finks/rats/informers/ect.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Angua wrote:They argue that cheating is endemic in China, so if their children can't cheat, they are behind the rest of the other children everywhere else.

Pretty simple solution: Create a new test, and this new standardized test is simply set as "no cheating". Admit the previous test is a failure in culture, and has been ruined by cheaters. The new test will be more strictly monitored.

Of course, the costs of running two standardized tests will be twice as much, but with infinite resources, that might be the best solution to this kind of problem.

What do You call cheating?
I was scheduled to take a Test.

I was an Adult. I was Reading The Book.
Most Tests come with a Book.

Some Asshole called that Cheating.
He accused me of Cheating, because I read The Book.

I did not consider that Cheating.

Cheating in Tests? Yep. What is Cheating?
Sitting near a group of friends?

Then saying numbers and getting letters back?
That's Cheating? No! That is so much Fun!

What happens in Real Life? Yes. Have you heard That Stupid Argument?
When You Grow Up and These Guys are Not Around, What will You Know?

What If: Chinese People are trying a Western Style Educational Experiment;
The Parents may be upset because it prevents Their Children from Working with Others.

Yes. If the Guys Named (X), (Y), and (Z) are not around, Then there might be some other people with other names that Know stuff.
It is Western and it is Profoundly American to think that 'I the Individual Knows-it-All'.

Of course, They might be talking about a different kind of Cheating.
It is Cheating for a Group of People to Walk into a Woman's Home and destroy her things.
It is cheating and it is a good way to Get What You Want.

How does a Person commit an Act a Violence that is Cheating in an Academic Environment?
Cheating. Like Politics?

Who is Harmed when We Share Knowledge?
Inside a Test is the Wrong Time to argue.

And!! It is supposed To Be Quiet!
Besides; You might be Wrong.

My instructors did not care if we cheated.
It may have been Dr. Bob's entertainment.

I Loved that man. He was Great!
Did we Cheat? ptt.

If someone asked me a question I answered it.
I would sometimes ask questions.

So, funny in Retrospect. I did not Know those people from any other context.
I have asked someone, "What is 34?" We were in a Test.

One guy Looked at me in Shock. He tried to warn me.
He seemed to be really Frightened. So, I leaned in to see what was the matter with him.

Then he became even More Upset. The Poor man. He got up; Went to Dr. Bob and moved to a different seat.
Dr. Bob was like Sagan.

He liked us to talk about the subject matter.
No arguments during Test! No Arguments, ever.

If you and I disagreed; Then we agreed to disagree or we could go to Dr. Bob.

What do You think is Cheating? Getting the Tests Before hand?
No. That is, just, Stupid.

The tests tell The Student and The Teacher what The Student understands.
If a student fails all the tests, the student fails the class. Simple.

Only it gets complicated. I earned an F. The instructor called me into his office and we had a Nice Long Talk.
If he had given me an F. I would not have been able to go to school anymore. He didn't do it. I got a D.

He explained the Auditing System to me. It is a Great System.

What I had done is Audit a very difficult class.
It was fine. I had not been much trouble.

He asked Why I kept coming. I said I was waiting for something to make sense.
He asked If it ever did. I said, "Yes. Some of it did."

I could Not do The Math. We went for a little walk in our Mind's Eye through the Department.
I would listen to His lecture then wander through The Department.
Geology.
Chemistry.
More Geology.
Some Chemistry.

Then I would go outside and None of it made any sense at all.
Of course, When I walked out of The Physical Science Department I walked into the Real World.

After we talked about concepts for a while, he made me promise to take a Math Class.
I never did. Did I? (shrug.)

Who cares what you know on a Test? The Physical Science Department has changed.
I was in The Area of My Old School. I loved that Department.

I suffered a great deal in that Building.
It is Like an Old Church, to me.

The Physical Science Department looked Like a High School had taken over.
The Inmates run The Asylum?

They don't have a Biological Mole, anymore.
During the Ordeal that is Chemistry;
That Biological Mole was a sign of Intelligent Life to me.

Simple misunderstandings across disciplines. Funny, stuff.

What is Cheating? Well; If you are an American, you Cheat all day every day and Know everyone else is Too.
It is a Matter of Cheating where it counts. Right? Hey! I am guessing.

If the Rules Say, "Every Man For Himself!"
Then any cooperative effort is Cheating.

They all cheat. We All Cheat if that is Cheating.
What does it teach us when we can't share the answer?

Yes. It is important to have the Room be quiet.
What is Cheating? Do Adults away from School do it?

We do what we learn to do in School.
Do we learn to be careful not to Cheat?

What is Cheating? I have heard of people telling others the Wrong answer; On purpose.
That is Mean and that is Cheating! It is the risk one takes for not Knowing The Answer.

Not good when an argument of That Kind breaks Out.
Or; Maybe very Good when an argument of that Kind breaks out.

A Hapless Hero says, "That's not The correct answer."

In Science we often have One Right Answer.
Not like the Liberal Arts Department.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:00 am UTC

Theperson who disrupted the 2012 Oxford Cambridge boat race, then found guilty and jailed is being deported. Apparently the home office says, "We refused this individual leave to remain because we do not believe his presence in this country is conducive to the public good"

He disrupted a boat race. Didn't steal anything, didn't injure anyone, didn't kill anyone but he is being deported. Despite the fact he has a British wife and a child on the way.

Edit: There's a petition to sign if you think that deporting him is a bit extreme.
Last edited by Sytri on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 am UTC

Coyne wrote:
Red Hal wrote:In 'n' Out, for example. You can order a 4x4 Animal style. Of course, you can't order a 20x20 any more, but even a 4-by-4 is going to damage your arteries.

A web search turned up this order (second picture, in the box) that looks like it might be a 40x40.
Since 2006 the biggest you can order is a 4x4.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

sigsfried

Postby sigsfried » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

He disrupted a boat race. Didn't steal anything, didn't injure anyone, didn't kill anyone but he is being deported. Despite the fact he has a British wife and a child on the way.

But it was the boat race, things don't get much more serious than that.

Clearly the establishment protects other aspects of the establishment. This is what happened here, at as outrageous as it is it is a far bigger problem than this case.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Sytri wrote:Theperson who disrupted the 2012 Oxford Cambridge boat race...

I don't think you understand the seriousness of the situation!

(This does seem quite extreme, although it's not surprising that people at the Home Office take this seriously. :wink: )

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

Yay!
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/24/us/colora ... rl-school/
Transgender first-grader wins the right to use girls' restroom

The article uses correct pronouns the entire way through and a nice little summary (that I only skimmed) of what being transgendered means and the state of school regulations across the US.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

sigsfried wrote:

But it was the boat race, things don't get much more serious than that.

Clearly the establishment protects other aspects of the establishment. This is what happened here, at as outrageous as it is it is a far bigger problem than this case.

I agree that what has happened since the race is outrageous (prison alone was disproportionate and deportation is absurd). I do however want to point out that (I'm not sure whether I'm arguing against others in the thread here or whether they'd agree with me, so far the discussion has not made it clear) what he was doing should certainly have resulted in conviction albeit probably only a fine.

I am almost certain the river the was closed by the harbour master and so he was at least in violation of that which itself carries fines and possibly prison sentences (although for this, as I say, prison was disproportionate) but also that his protest, had it continued longer could easily have caused substantial property damage and possible injuries to himself or others and so he was arguably guilty of reckless endangerment.

Like I say, he should have been fined and it been left at that. I just wanted to point out that his arrest, trial and conviction are not the injustice here. That lies solely in the sentence and the deportation.

bluebambue wrote:Yay!
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/24/us/colora ... rl-school/
Transgender first-grader wins the right to use girls' restroom

The article uses correct pronouns the entire way through and a nice little summary (that I only skimmed) of what being transgendered means and the state of school regulations across the US.

Yay!

The school's letter was pretty shitty though with its consistent misgendering despite the girl in question having her gender recognised on her state ID.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:The school's letter was pretty shitty though with its consistent misgendering despite the girl in question having her gender recognised on her state ID.

Yeah. I could understand them screwing it up if they were just being consistent with the legal documentation etc. But if she's got a state-issued ID that says she's female, it seems petty and spiteful to refuse to recognize that.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Is there really a point to separating the bathrooms at all, actually? The only thing I can think of is the difference in how you urinate based on genitalia, so...since this judgment has passed, why not just give up the ghost and have coed bathrooms?
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

I personally think there should be two sets of bathrooms: ones that say 'Urinals' and ones that say 'Stalls'. Stalls would have locking doors and sit-down toilets. Urinals would have urinals. A stall is essentially a private space, mostly, so that should be better than the current situation, IMO.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:24 am UTC

Why have urinals at all?

Seriously.

I don't really see any benefit to them and almost always choose a cubicle anyway. Seems ridiculous that anyone would get hung up on people using the "wrong" gendered toilets.
my pronouns are they

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:24 am UTC

Urinals do use less water.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:55 am UTC

And the space-packing efficiency for urinals is a lot higher, as well as turnover rate; it's a pretty efficient system. It's a shame it only works for you guys, though =P
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:58 am UTC

The real reason for gendered restrooms is to punish women with long lines for being out in public.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:59 am UTC

I much prefer using urinals, at least the good ones (individual, floor-to waist height urinals, rather than just a wall or the small bowl-type ones) to using toilets. They're faster than disrobing in order to sit down on a toilet, and require significantly less accuracy than using a toilet standing up.

EDIT: Personally, I'd have no problem with unisex washrooms with both stalls and urinals.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Plus, the women's bathrooms are so much filthier, which causes some women to hover, which makes it even filthier...

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:02 am UTC

yurell wrote:And the space-packing efficiency for urinals is a lot higher, as well as turnover rate; it's a pretty efficient system. It's a shame it only works for you guys, though =P

The packing efficiency really isn't that great once you factor in the awkwardness buffer and the turnover is more to do with peeing standing up than it is to do with urinals (and peeing standing up is certainly possible in cubicles and there's no reason why it ought to lead to unpleasantness for future users).

Cubicles take up about the same amount of space when awkwardness is avoided and have similar turnover (there's a slight delay from shutting the door but that's it). They have greater privacy, allow for gender-neutrality and therefore transpositivity and accommodation of non-binary genders. The only real disadvantage I can see is the point about water Thesh mentioned.
my pronouns are they

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:09 am UTC

But just because people don't like to stand adjacent to someone while using a urinal doesn't mean they won't do so if it's the only one available. At times where the washroom is busy and packing efficiency is important, the awkwardness factor is far less important to most people than fast turnaround.

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:14 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:The packing efficiency really isn't that great once you factor in the awkwardness buffer and the turnover is more to do with peeing standing up than it is to do with urinals (and peeing standing up is certainly possible in cubicles and there's no reason why it ought to lead to unpleasantness for future users).

Almost all the male ... hrmmm, what are they called? It's not 'bathroom', since there's obviously no bath ... gentleman's facilities (that probably too close to 'gentleman's club', but whatever) I've been in here (sometimes the ladies' is just too filthy to use) have a long, continuous urinal along one wall. Doesn't that change the 'awkwardness buffer'? And do those urinals remain unused if there's a queue? I would have thought if a lot of people wanted to go, they'd pack despite the awkwardness.

I would have thought that the advantages would be sufficient to give the urinal its own little room (a la biggleworth's idea), leaving stalls for a (now much expanded) unisex facility.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Restrooms or toilets depending on region work.
GNU Terry Pratchett

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:18 am UTC

Angua wrote:Restrooms or toilets depending on region work.

Thanks; at home we have our toilet in a bathroom, and when I'm out I just ask for 'the ladies'', so I've never faced the problem of communicating this idea before =P

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:20 am UTC

I have heard people as for 'the gents' come to think of it as well.

I have found that Americans don't like to use the word 'toilets' and prefer the more euphemistic 'bathroom' or 'restroom'. The British are much more likely to say 'toilets'.

This is in my experience - other people may disagree.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:23 am UTC

Angua wrote:Restrooms or toilets depending on region work.

My old office had a 'Rest Room' (that's what the sign on the door said). It had comfy recliner chairs and dim lighting. I think more than one American visitor to the office was confused by that one.

yurell wrote:And do those urinals remain unused if there's a queue? I would have thought if a lot of people wanted to go, they'd pack despite the awkwardness.

In my experience, I have never seen someone wait, leaving a urinal unused, in order to avoid standing adjacent to someone. Even if there isn't a queue behind the person who has to make the choice, the preference is always for expediency over proximity-awkwardness, from what I've seen.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:34 am UTC

I have seen people go into the stalls to pee when the urinals are mostly full.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:29 am UTC

I personally feel like deliberately *not* peeing is more awkward than packing in. That leaves you standing around, effectively aimlessly, trying to figure out where to look.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Return to “News & Articles”