Think About The Children Watch: Teacher Writes Erotic Novels

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Endless Mike

Think About The Children Watch: Teacher Writes Erotic Novels

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

A series of racy romance novels by an author named Judy Mays are a little too racy for some parents in our area, especially now that they have discovered the woman known as Judy Mays is teaching their children.

Many parents might admire a high school English teacher who is also a published author, but some parents in Snyder County said what their children's teacher is writing about in her spare time might be a little too hot to handle.

Parents said Judy Buranich has been an English teacher at Midd West High School for nearly 25 years, but recently they found out she is a published author and writes under the pen name Judy Mays.

Her book is an erotic romance novel and some parents said they are not happy with the book's content.

Parent Wendy Apple has a son in 10th grade at Midd West High School in Middleburg. His English teacher's name is Judy Buranich. Apple said she recently found out that after school Buranich has a second job; she writes erotic romance novels.

"Now my son knows so how is he thinking when he's sitting in her class knowing what she does on the side," Apple said. She added she found all of the information on the internet. Apple said Buranich writes under the pen name Judy Mays.

If you go to Judy May's website she said she's disguised as a mild-mannered tenth grade English teacher in a small public high school. If you want to get in contact with her you are asked to write to a post office box in Selinsgrove.

A photograph of Buranich matches a YouTube interview in which she talks about her novels.

Parent Deanna Stepp said the evidence is clear. "She is teaching children that are under the age of 18 and definitely the books that she is writing are adult books. I think she needs to make a decision as to what she wants to do. Either be a school teacher or author," Stepp said.

"I was shocked. If you are a teacher you shouldn't be doing that," said former student Shanette Apple.

"I was sort of shocked.Sitting in her class I had no idea. She is a good teacher but I had no idea what was going on behind the scenes," said former student Drew Hollenbach.

Newswatch 16 tried to contact the Midd West superintendent about the novels, he said, "I can not discuss personnel matters or employees. At this point I have no comment."

Newswatch 16 also tried to contact Judy Buranich about the novels but was unable to reach her for comment.

http://snydercounty.wnep.com/news/news/ ... vels/58743

Yes, parents are up in arms because a middle school English teacher also writes erotic romance novels. Think about the children! They might think about her writing sexy books! This is getting to the point where teachers even thinking about sex will be verboten.

Heisenberg

Re: Think About The Children Watch: Teacher Writes Erotic No

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Her book is an erotic romance novel and some parents said they are not happy with the book's content.
Don't let your kids read the book. Hey, that was easy!

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

I also think that parents shouldn't be allowed to raise children because parents have, at least once, had sex. I mean really, should people engaged in such explicit acts be allowed to take care of our young ones?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

I can't access it right now but I know I've seen a poll where females were asked how frequently they engage in sexual acts and/or think about doing so, with the top 3 results being realtors, bankers, and teachers.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Manial

Postby Manial » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

This is why people shouldn't take advice from 90's movies.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:I also think that parents shouldn't be allowed to raise children because parents have, at least once, had sex. I mean really, should people engaged in such explicit acts be allowed to take care of our young ones?

sourmìlk comes out for the anti-adoption lobby.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:I also think that parents shouldn't be allowed to raise children because parents have, at least once, had sex. I mean really, should people engaged in such explicit acts be allowed to take care of our young ones?

No, I'm pro-adoption. Only people who haven't had sex should be allowed to raise children. People who have had sex have done things too inappropriate for them to be trusted.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

You just don't think people who adopt are parents.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Her book is an erotic romance novel and some parents said they are not happy with the book's content.
Don't let your kids read the book. Hey, that was easy!
Exactly! I wouldn't be happy with the content either. The characters are one-dimensional, the dialog is contrived, and the plots are weak.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:I also think that biological parents shouldn't be allowed to raise children because parents have, at least once, had sex. I mean really, should people engaged in such explicit acts be allowed to take care of our young ones?

No, I'm pro-adoption. Only people who haven't had sex should be allowed to raise children. People who have had sex have done things too inappropriate for them to be trusted.

There, fixed that for both of you. I believe that's more what sourmilk meant to say.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:39 pm UTC

And the crusade to censor the world goes on unabated.

For "The Children".
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

I'm baffled as to why this matters. There is no indication that her writing is having any negative effects on her teaching and, to every indication, appears to be behaving perfectly professionally in the classroom.

Kayangelus

Postby Kayangelus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Yes, parents are up in arms because a middle school English teacher also writes erotic romance novels. Think about the children! They might think about her writing sexy books! This is getting to the point where teachers even thinking about sex will be verboten.

Actually, it is a highschool... 10th graders...

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

And this sort of bullshit is exactly why I never became a teacher.

Love teaching, but I'd never be able to deal with the parents and admins.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:I'm baffled as to why this matters. There is no indication that her writing is having any negative effects on her teaching and, to every indication, appears to be behaving perfectly professionally in the classroom.

But how can you be sure?

AngelfishTitan

Postby AngelfishTitan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:I'm baffled as to why this matters. There is no indication that her writing is having any negative effects on her teaching and, to every indication, appears to be behaving perfectly professionally in the classroom.

But how can you be sure?

Well negative effects are subjective and he never said what profession...
Belial wrote:Note: this means you should assume that every post I make has the thrumming, furious power of half a bottle of irish whiskey behind it. Yes, even the ones I make from work. ESPECIALLY the ones I make from work.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:But how can you be sure?
I bet teachers aren't even checked against the terror watch list!

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:

What's the problem with a terrorist as teacher? They are by and large god-fearing people who stay away from smut. Also, very manly and brave. And usually net payers into the school's pension fund.

Also, example of the works in question:

http://books.google.nl/books?id=RtsU-uBk37cC&dq=Judy+Mays&source=gbs_book_similarbooks wrote:Book 1 in the Celestial Passions series: Brianna did what any other decent human being would do-rescue a pair of aliens her boss was about to dissect, and get them back to their space ship. In the process, she was captured by an alien scientist and became a experiment herself-a sexual experiment. Captain Alalakan don al' Chardadon was not about to let Dr. Rodak don al' Bakom conduct his ridiculous sexual experiments on an inhabitant from a newly discovered world. Even if it meant he had to marry the Earth woman to protect her. Marriages were easily dissolved on his planet, and this alien was very beautiful. Besides, he wanted her-in his bed, on the floor, against the wall, or anywhere else he could think of. Brianna had to choose-marry the captain or try to find another way to escape Bakom. Easy choice. Even though he was an alien, Char was the most desirable man she'd ever met. So, Brianna finds herself hurtling through space married to a very sexy alien-with a very flexible tail-from a planetwhere hedonism is the norm and there are three sexes: male, female, and hermaphrodite. But Bakom wanted Brianna too, and is willing to do anything to get her back.
Last edited by Zamfir on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

kadak

Postby kadak » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

She's using a pseudonym, what are these fuckers complaining about?

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
Xeio wrote:

What's the problem with a terrorist as teacher? They are by and large god-fearing people who stay away from smut. Also, very manly and brave. And usually net payers into the school's pension fund.

Also, example of the works in question:

That was brilliant.

On topic, how many parents are outraged and have actually read the books?
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

There, fixed that for both of you. I believe that's more what sourmilk meant to say.

Yes, thank you.

Yeah, unless she's writing stories about teachers having sex with their underaged students, I fail to see the problem. After having read that excerpt, all I can say is that I hope she's not an English teacher.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:

Yes, thank you.

Yeah, unless she's writing stories about teachers having sex with their underaged students, I fail to see the problem. After having read that excerpt, all I can say is that I hope she's not an English teacher.

That's not an excerpt, it's the cover text. Those are written by others. If you click through, you can read the whole book. It's amusing, but by page 42 the hemaphrodite aliens with 3 feet long tails that end in a penis still haven't done anything interesting. The handsome captain of the ship has a normal penis, although he has a tail too.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:That's not an excerpt, it's the cover text. Those are written by others. If you click through, you can read the whole book. It's amusing, but by page 42 the hemaphrodite aliens with 3 feet long tail that end in a penis still haven't done anything interesting. The handsome captain of the ship has a normal penis.

Yeah, there's no way I'm looking at that.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Zamfir wrote:That's not an excerpt, it's the cover text. Those are written by others. If you click through, you can read the whole book. It's amusing, but by page 42 the hemaphrodite aliens with 3 feet long tail that end in a penis still haven't done anything interesting. The handsome captain of the ship has a normal penis.

Why not? If we promote her work, she might be able to afford to lose her day job.

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

"I was sort of shocked.Sitting in her class I had no idea. She is a good teacher but I had no idea what was going on behind the scenes," said former student Drew Hollenbach.

My favourite quote from the article. Not sure why these people didn't just leave it at that.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:

Why not? If we promote her work, she might be able to afford to lose her day job.

a) I'm pretty sure the parents are right in that a minor shouldn't be reading that
b) I'm sure the school will keep her (would it be legal of them not to?)
c) If I did read it I certainly wouldn't buy it. That's not the kind of thing you want showing up in a statement.
d) I value my sanity

31 wrote:My favourite quote from the article. Not sure why these people didn't just leave it at that.

I love this, I really do. The kid is basically saying "Well, the facts support a specific conclusion, that she is a good teacher, but my worldview doesn't agree with that conclusion so clearly the facts were wrong."

savanik

Postby savanik » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:That's not an excerpt, it's the cover text. Those are written by others. If you click through, you can read the whole book. It's amusing, but by page 42 the hemaphrodite aliens with 3 feet long tails that end in a penis still haven't done anything interesting. The handsome captain of the ship has a normal penis, although he has a tail too.

You know, this almost sounds like... furry porn...

***GASP!!***
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
a) I'm pretty sure the parents are right in that a minor shouldn't be reading that
c) If I did read it I certainly wouldn't buy it. That's not the kind of thing you want showing up in a statement.
d) I value my sanity

I think you're somewhat overestimating the depravity of this kind of books. It's not exactly hard core porn. Ignoring the tails (that seem more for couleur locale), it probably sketches more realistic sex than the far majority of screen porn. And it's probably better than a lot of sex ed material too. It decribes the mechanics in detail, but also the build-up to the mechanics, and how people feel during the proceedings.
Last edited by Zamfir on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:
d) I value my sanity

I think you're somewhat overestimating the depravity of this kind of books. It's not exactly hard core porn. Ignoring the tails (that seem more for couleur locale), it probably sketches more realistic sex than the far majority of screen porn.

How can one OVERestimate the depravity of a 3-foot penis-tail?

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Zamfir wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:
d) I value my sanity

I think you're somewhat overestimating the depravity of this kind of books. It's not exactly hard core porn. Ignoring the tails (that seem more for couleur locale), it probably sketches more realistic sex than the far majority of screen porn.

How can one OVERestimate the depravity of a 3-foot penis-tail?

I'd guesstimate myself as above average depraved, despite my below average penis.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

... Tentacle porn. She's teaching modern Japanese subcultures.

Yes, I'm joking.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:How can one OVERestimate the depravity of a 3-foot penis-tail?
I'm thinking you have not been to the internet lately...

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:08 am UTC

Hang on, maybe I'm reading the story wrong, but it seems to me that one of the parents discovered this fact by:

* Discovering that an erotic novel author named Judy was working as a high school teacher in a nearby area
* Looking at a YouTube interview of the author and comparing it to a photo of the teacher

I would have to say that I, offhand, could not tell you if there were any authors of erotic novels living in the same city as me (I assume there probably are). I certainly wouldn't be so au fait with their details that I would be visiting their website. In fact, the only reason I would do so would be because I wanted to find out more about the author, probably because I'd read one of their works, and ... hmmmmmmmmmm.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:23 am UTC

ConMan wrote:Hang on, maybe I'm reading the story wrong, but it seems to me that one of the parents discovered this fact by:

* Discovering that an erotic novel author named Judy was working as a high school teacher in a nearby area
* Looking at a YouTube interview of the author and comparing it to a photo of the teacher

I would have to say that I, offhand, could not tell you if there were any authors of erotic novels living in the same city as me (I assume there probably are). I certainly wouldn't be so au fait with their details that I would be visiting their website. In fact, the only reason I would do so would be because I wanted to find out more about the author, probably because I'd read one of their works, and ... hmmmmmmmmmm.

No no, you see this brave noble parent was voluntarily exposing his/herself to this smut in order to make sure that none of these horrible depraved people was secretly teaching one of his / her children. The same person probably watches lots of porn to make sure none of the actors are secretly working at the school either, y'know for the good of the children...

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:26 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:a) I'm pretty sure the parents are right in that a minor shouldn't be reading that
Sometimes I forget we let the little 'uns in here. *affectionate pat on the head*

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:33 am UTC

sourmilk, I'm pretty certain that whatever romantically described softcore is in that novel (assuming it's not one of the fade-to-black novels), it's nothing compared to the actual porn that the parent's son has probably seen.

Edit: Also, obviously this parent has no idea of the Streisand effect. She's probably guaranteed a thriving, if temporary, readership of these novels among the student population.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Is it wrong that I find the story a little WTF, yet find this thread and the descriptions of the book utterly harlaious?

I don't care. Nothing wrong with Sci-Fi Romance Erotica. It's that kind of stuff that champions free speech and posses off the moral gaudians!

Also, someone else on the thread mentioned sensually the whole world and I instantly thought of that Futurama episode with the intelligent censorship killsat. That was awesome!
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:15 am UTC

Unless the teacher was in a film adaptation of one of the novels, this is nothing more than angry parents scared their child might exist in the real world. Those books are about as sexually explicit as a music video, and aren't even being read by children anyway.
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:30 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:posses off the moral gaudians!

Also, someone else on the thread mentioned sensually the whole world

What.
wee free kings

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:18 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:sourmilk, I'm pretty certain that whatever romantically described softcore is in that novel (assuming it's not one of the fade-to-black novels), it's nothing compared to the actual porn that the parent's son has probably seen.

I suppose this is likely true.

Edit: Also, obviously this parent has no idea of the Streisand effect. She's probably guaranteed a thriving, if temporary, readership of these novels among the student population.

I think the Streisand effect only works if your works don't scare people away.

Ghostwolfe wrote:Sometimes I forget we let the little 'uns in here. *affectionate patronizing pat on the head*

FTFY

As in Escher? Or Hammer? wrote:
Unless the teacher was in a film adaptation of one of the novels, this is nothing more than angry parents scared their child might exist in the real world. Those books are about as sexually explicit as a music video, and aren't even being read by children anyway.

It's not even that. It's "this is noting more than angry parents scared their children might exist in the company of somebody who exists in the real world in her off-time"

Thrice-Angled Homosapien wrote:
Also, someone else on the thread mentioned sensually the whole world

Has anyone really been so far as even go decided to look more like?

Return to “News & Articles”