2011 Floods in Australia

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

2011 Floods in Australia

Postby Red Hal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

I haven't seen anything in these fora about this year's flooding in Queensland, Australia so apologies if my search-fu failed.

An area roughly forty-three percent larger than that of Texas (1,000,000km2 as against Texas' 696200 km2) has now been affected, with the number of dead into double figures. To get an idea of the scale of the problem, watch this video of the aftermath of the 24 foot wall of water that hit Toowoomba. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-FT-skins .

For more news, here is a primer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12158608
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/n ... 340513.stm
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: 2011 Floods in Australia

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

Yeah my Dad and Brother live in Brisbane but they live higher up so they won't really be affected by the flood. That said I heard the CBD, valley, and pretty much every area long the river is fucked.

This vid is good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY

24/7 updates: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/fl ... 5985436806
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

I'm a little disturbed at how this slipped by. After reading this here I asked around and no one I know has heard about this. Its probably due to the shooting overshadowing it, but still seems important to hear about in the news...

Argency

Postby Argency » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

I'm from Toowoomba and living in Brisbane - my family are all safe in Tbar but here I'm just about to evac - the water is on my back steps and spurting out of the storm water drains on the street. This is it people.

There will come a day when the strength of men fails, and the black tides sweep across the land. This is not that day. This day, we SWIM!
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Just some further data regarding the parts of Brisbane that will likely be effected, the areas effected by the last big flood in Brisbane.

http://www.brisbanebusinessfinance.com/ ... od_map.pdf
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

Eh, won't be anything like the scale they're seeing up north. Glad my house is situated in on a hill, though, in any case. My thoughts are with everyone in Brisbane and affected areas around the country right now.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:Eh, won't be anything like the scale they're seeing up north. Glad my house is situated in on a hill, though, in any case. My thoughts are with everyone in Brisbane and affected areas around the country right now.

Of course. Also Ballarat is higher up so I doubt it'll be an issue for us.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

It's kind of sadistically ironic how some places that ~5 years ago were in the grips of a severe drought are now under water...

As of last night, the figures were 10-12 dead, 78 missing, 18 of those feared for. This morning, the missing tally has gone up to 90, and I read somewhere of 30 deaths. Waters are still rising in Ipswich, and Brisbane is set to cop it today it seems.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:11 am UTC

dedalus wrote:It's kind of sadistically ironic how some places that ~5 years ago were in the grips of a severe drought are now under water...

In Victoria a couple of years back, there was one place which had massive rainfall over a couple of nights and got flooded... but the total rainfall for that month (and the preceding months) was still way below average, meaning it was officially in drought and flood at the same time.

MadParrot

Postby MadParrot » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 am UTC

Does feel bizarre, its the sunniest day we've had for a bit here in Brisbane, (of course), and I'm sitting at home (on a hill) due to flood risk near work. We all got told to shove off yesterday at ~2, and they've shut for the day today. Of course the problematic water is already in the catchment.

On a side note - yay for wivenhoe dam. If they'd not built that (after the 74 floods, for future flood mitigation) Brissie would've flooded well and truely before now.

aldonius

Postby aldonius » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:20 am UTC

I'm actually almost getting cabin fever.
Sitting at home with ABC radio on, constant stuff on the floods (as it should be, that's it's job in circumstances like these), but on occasion it will go to actual news and ...

<rant> For the love of all that is holy tell me about something outside of Queensland!!! </rant>

Was at supermarket earlier, it's also a little surreal, people have been kinda panic buying. Stocking up for the next week is sensible, however.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:12 am UTC

...Apparently there is a bull shark swimming through a flooded street in Goodna, according to the ABC.

A shark. Swimming through a town. I can't even think of the appropriate response to that.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:...Apparently there is a bull shark swimming through a flooded street in Goodna, according to the ABC.

A shark. Swimming through a town. I can't even think of the appropriate response to that.

I can think of many responses, but they're all a bit too much bad humour to be appropriate...
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:59 am UTC

Something about Mr Jackson and sharks in the lane? I really do feel for you guys, especially as it appears to be gathering relatively little international coverage. It should be a major headline worldwide.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:07 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:Something about Mr Jackson and sharks in the lane? I really do feel for you guys, especially as it appears to be gathering relatively little international coverage. It should be a major headline worldwide.

The death toll is still quite low - it's not a humanitarian disaster like Pakistan.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:15 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:...Apparently there is a bull shark swimming through a flooded street in Goodna, according to the ABC.

Most of my responses involve new ideas for Aussie lingo, Steve Irwin references, and jokes about alcoholism. The same as dedalus; nothing tasteful.

But, this actually reminds me of something. What if that shark died 500 miles inland, and was fossilized. Then, in a few million years, when people (human or otherwise) discover it, will they claim Australia was underwater, or that sharks evolved there? I wonder how many fossil oddities we discover are because of something like this.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:33 am UTC

Have they built any dykes or whatnot in Australia? A video I saw from Toowoomba and it looked like the riverbed was about level with a parking lot at normal times.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:42 am UTC

In some places, definitely. I can't attest to Toowoomba specifically, though. The town isn't exactly New Orleans - it's inland, nearly 700m above sea level and has been in a drought for years.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 am UTC

Yeah, the last event like this for Brisbane was in '74, so spending several billions for a one in 30 year event maybe isn't the best use of resources.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:14 am UTC

It's easy to say that...until you have sharks swimming in your streets.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 am UTC

I think I heard a figure for the total cost to the country of $6 billion. If anyone wants to contest that then sure; it was off the television.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:It's easy to say that...until you have sharks swimming in your streets.

The thing is, if you look at the suburbs around surfers paradise, there's a big canal network that connects to the estuary there, and they are full of sharks already, so... its not much of a stretch. I mean, it must be pretty terrifying for the people involved, but also pretty inevitable. The Brisbane river is full of sharks in the tidal zone.

As for the cost benefit of dams etc I'm sure the government inquiries after the event will look into in a lot of detail. Lets wait for the numbers to come in before we start suggesting that these were preventable. As someone else mentioned, the area effected by the floods is bigger than the state of Texas. That's a lot of water to try to stop.

Puggle

Postby Puggle » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:27 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Have they built any dykes or whatnot in Australia? A video I saw from Toowoomba and it looked like the riverbed was about level with a parking lot at normal times.

Toowoomba doesn't normally have any rivers. Just a few creeks and you could probably step over them.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:45 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:As for the cost benefit of dams etc I'm sure the government inquiries after the event will look into in a lot of detail. Lets wait for the numbers to come in before we start suggesting that these were preventable. As someone else mentioned, the area effected by the floods is bigger than the state of Texas. That's a lot of water to try to stop.

From what I've been hearing, the QLD government built a dam after the 1974 floods which has actually spared Brisbane and surrounding areas from a worse fate had it not been there. Like the Victorian bushfires a while back, though, there will be investigations and royal commissions and blame aplenty to go around once the waters recede.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:52 am UTC

I think that my roommate just came up with the only reasonable response:

"Would the gentleman want a whisky with his cigar?"

When the world has gone to strange, be polite and get people drunk.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:46 pm UTC

After the '74 floods, they did build a dam, but the dam is over 175% capacity*. If they don't release now, they can't safely control the releases. Unfortunately, that water has to go somewhere, and ... oh shit, today there was a king tide.

/angell

*The dam was designed to hold up to 225% of it's functional capacity, in case of flood.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

dedalus wrote:

I can think of many responses, but they're all a bit too much bad humour to be appropriate...

Something about land sharks? Or Australia already had so many deadly blah blah etc.?

I really think the shooting is the reason this is not getting international headlines, although of course the shooting was an attempted assassination attempt, so it deserves headlines too, and the news can now only follow one story obsessively. *kicks cnn*
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

It is a sad event. We can avoid some of the disasters, but not always all of them. Unless you move all towns and cities to really safe locations.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:I really think the shooting is the reason this is not getting international headlines, although of course the shooting was an attempted assassination attempt, so it deserves headlines too, and the news can now only follow one story obsessively. *kicks cnn*

I don't watch the news on TV, so there's probably enough arguments for it there, but I felt cnn news site did a good job with the reporting. Event reporting the first day, reaction, follow up, opinion the next, then they leave headline space to other stories like the snow storm and the flood, and today: Haitian orphans still in shelters

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:It is a sad event. We can avoid some of the disasters, but not always all of them. Unless you move all towns and cities to really safe locations.

Problem is nobody wants to live in flood-safe, or fire-safe locations. It's always near rivers (floods) oceans (tidal-waves, hurricanes, global warming ocean rise) or up on dirt roads in forested mountains, where the trees are tinder-dry and fire-equipment will sink in to the underdeveloped roadways.

I'm largely of the opinion that much of mankind is actively pursuing the masochist portion of a S&m relationship with Mother Nature.

As far as news coverage, Devner, Colorado's channel 7 local news has been following the Australian floods.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

I haven't seen if the Australian government has asked for assistance, have they?
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

I think any calls for assistance will come after the damage to Brisbane has been seen. The Brisbane River peaked this morning at 4AM (about an hour ago) at a lower level than expected, so there's some good news at least, but it won't be until emergency crews can get into the city that anyone can say what will be needed there.

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:I haven't seen if the Australian government has asked for assistance, have they?

The Queensland government has set up an appeal which had raised over $30 million as of yesterday, but nothing has been said about asking for international aid. The Indonesian government pledged $1 million yesterday though.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

Quick Post - internet is intermittent, I can only get like one page to load before it quits out (unless it just fixed itself (Nope)).

Victoria is getting flooded, I have no idea how it is compared to QLD though (probably nowhere near as bad) as my internet is fucked up and our phone line seems to be quasi-down. Ballarat is perhaps the safest place to be since it has amazing drainage and it's up on a hill (and I, specifically, am up at like the highest point in Ballarat) so my town is nowhere near any trouble. However my sister's horses are situated out in the country, and some of the brief messages she's got from out there suggest that the situation is pretty bad, water up to horses' shoulders, higher than fences, stuff like that. She might lose em, we'll see.

I actually am writing this post up while offline 'cause I could only load the reply page before my net cut out again, not sure if it's an issue with the floods or an issue with my router (my router has encountered similar problems in the past).

Good luck to all those dealing with flood waters anywhere. Once my net goes back up for a split second again I can send this post...

Edit: Seems like my net is okay now.

Edit: No, not really. I can just do more than one thing before my net cuts out now.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nation ... 5986702803

Notice a theme in that report?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:16 am UTC

Missing deceased found 80km away. And we've barely even begun to calculate to clean-up efforts required.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:57 am UTC

Kind of really, really odd that it hits above and below; we've had a moderate amount of rain in NSW but nothing even threatening a chance of flooding, least not on the coast.

I hope everyone is alright - saw a thing on the news about the cleanup to come, looks pretty bad.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:52 am UTC

Whilst not detracting from the devastation in Queensland and potentially parts of Victoria, it looks like Australia isn't the only place being hammered by storms and floods. Severe flooding is occurring in Brazil where 500 people are dead, as well as damage across Sri Lanka and the Philippines. (source)

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

First fish, then Birds, now floods? Truly these are the end of times.

Tasteless humour aside, wow. The past week has been fucking crazy, nature-wise. The Brisbane River peaked at a bit over 20 metres in Ipswich. That number is too big to comprehend as a river depth for me.

Thoughts and love to Queenslanders and Victorians.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:The past week has been fucking crazy, nature-wise. The Brisbane River peaked at a bit over 20 metres in Ipswich. That number is too big to comprehend as a river depth for me.

20 meters is in the neighborhood of 6-7 stories high (assuming I got my math right, but it's pretty close)

The office building I work in would be completely submerged and still have over 10 meters of water above it. (It's 3 stories tall, I work on the 3rd floor) Most of the city I live in would be completely submerged under 20 meters of water.

Most large ships could float over a home and not hit anything.

It's almost enough to float the largest supertanker ever built (Seawise Giant, with a draft of 24.611 meters)

Thoughts and love to Queenslanders and Victorians.

Agreed.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Return to “News & Articles”