Glowing Trees

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

TheKrikkitWars

Glowing Trees

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

I came across this whilst doing some reading for my current research (it's on the fringe of my field).

Awesome much?
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Re: Glowing Trees

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

Is it sad my first thought was that'd be a neat mod for Minecraft?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Is it sad my first thought was that'd be a neat mod for Minecraft?

Only as sad as my first thought, which was Tolkien's trees in Valinor.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

My first thought was that these trees will be very full of moths.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

Step 1: glowing trees
Step 2: electrified trees

Giant bug zapper!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Step 1: glowing trees
Step 2: electrified trees

Giant bug zapper!

Step 3: "Xtreme tree climbing", and a whole new slug of Darwin Award candidates.

Edit:

Although Lostdreams brings up a good point: As cool as it would be to have bio-luminescent trees as streetlights* they would attract a lot of insects which would mean that they would have to be engineered with some of the genes from plants that make natural insect-repellents. Of course that may result in foul smells which would never work in an urban setting, and/or toxic plants waiting for a whole class of Darwin Award candidates to pluck and eat the leaves on a lark.

* which I fully intend on having in the next futuristic RPG I run.
Last edited by Dauric on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:30 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Is it sad my first thought was that'd be a neat mod for Minecraft?

Join the club. My second thought was of Laurelin and Telperion, if that helps any.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

Coating the forests with nano-particles? What could go wrong?!

Fast forward 50 years from now when the forests are dead because the particles kill or screw up [x], which is required for [y].
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

The additional attracting of insects and thoughts of insect repelling ideas to use against them already makes it seem like an idea that needs a bit more work. Would it even be possible to drive off the newly attracted bugs and not the ones that originally belonged there?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

Why do we need to drive them off any more than we need to drive off the ones that flutter around the current lights?
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

Griffin wrote:Why do we need to drive them off any more than we need to drive off the ones that flutter around the current lights?

Because current lights aren't tasty, tasty munchies to the bugs. Without any sort of biological defense against more bugs you're just setting out dinner and making sure it's properly advertised.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
Griffin wrote:Why do we need to drive them off any more than we need to drive off the ones that flutter around the current lights?

Because current lights aren't tasty, tasty munchies to the bugs. Without any sort of biological defense against more bugs you're just setting out dinner and making sure it's properly advertised.

Provided the insects attracted to the light bright trees also happen to be the type of insects that feed on those trees. Insects aren't exactly equal opportunity feeders.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

Prefanity wrote:
Dauric wrote:

Provided the insects attracted to the light bright trees also happen to be the type of insects that feed on those trees. Insects aren't exactly equal opportunity feeders.

This has brought to my attention the fact that I don't know what moths eat.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm UTC

Am I correct in thinking the article said this would make the leaves glow red? I'm up for brothel-streets.
Ⓞⓞ◯

juststrange

Postby juststrange » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

Prefanity wrote:Provided the insects attracted to the light bright trees also happen to be the type of insects that feed on those trees. Insects aren't exactly equal opportunity feeders.

That, and so far its only a specific type of tree. So these trees could be grown, infused, and planted, knowing they have a limited lifespan (much like a beef cow). The question is, do the cost of driving all these trees around and planting them outweigh the emissions they save? LEDs are low wattage and have a pretty good life, especially compared to the old style bulbs. Curious how the break-even works on this.

That and I gamble those trees are only adapted for one specific climate as it is. Exciting stuff for the future if they can make it work.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

IIRC some moths feed on nectar like butterflies. I forget what else they eat and I'm too lazy to google it right now. Anyhow, the bugs that eat leaves would be feeding on them during the day anyhow so it's not going to change anything. IIRC bugs swarm lights because they mistake it for the sun or moon which they use to navigate, and because it's warm.
I want them to do this to fruit trees so when I pee in the woods after eating some, it glows which is awesome.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:I forget what else they eat and I'm too lazy to google it right now.

My linen closet.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

Yeah, moths eat high-fiber meals like my pants, my kleenexes, my papers... did I mention my pants?

iChef

Postby iChef » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

Nature already has a way to take care of the bug, just like the ones that get attracted to other outdoor lights. Giant freaking spiders. The ones that used to live on the outdoor lights in my old apartment were very well fed.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

With eerie glowing red lights comes a new breed of super spiders. No doubt coloured red to blend in with the blood leaves they live on?
Ⓞⓞ◯

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:31 am UTC

You have to excite the trees with ultraviolet light to get them to glow. So this is the world's dumbest* way to make street lights -- you don't get any energy out of them, except during the day when you don't need them to be turned on.

*Even if it is kind of awesome.

bisurge

Postby bisurge » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:20 am UTC

This was my first thought too.

Anyway, if you can inject a jellyfish DNA into bacteria to make them glow, I don't see why you can't put bio-luminescent material into trees to make them grow. It's eco-friendly, but won't they be too weak? I mean, trees fall over all the time during storms, and lose leaves sometimes (even the trees that shouldn't lose leaves seasonally sometimes lose leaves).

letterX

Postby letterX » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:46 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote: My second thought was of Laurelin and Telperion, if that helps any.

iChef wrote:Nature already has a way to take care of the bug[...] Giant freaking spiders.

I have a feeling this will turn out poorly...

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:00 am UTC

If we can bio-engineer these onto evergreens, I won't have to worry about tree lights again!
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:30 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:With eerie glowing red lights comes a new breed of super spiders. No doubt coloured red to blend in with the blood leaves they live on?
I hate you. *can't sleep, eerie glowing red spiders'll eat me*

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:59 am UTC

bisurge wrote:Anyway, if you can inject a jellyfish DNA into bacteria to make them glow, I don't see why you can't put bio-luminescent material into trees to make them grow.
Inject it into some E-coli so my crap glows too. There, now the image of glowing spiders has been replaced.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:16 am UTC

Bad idea: if these trees spread into the wild, which they will, and start spreading into forests, which they will, it will screw up nocturnal animals shit all over the place. Unless you make them all unable to reproduce, and we know from Jurassic Park how that turns out.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:Bad idea: if these trees spread into the wild, which they will, and start spreading into forests, which they will, it will screw up nocturnal animals shit all over the place. Unless you make them all unable to reproduce, and we know from Jurassic Park how that turns out.

LIFE FINDS A WAY!

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:36 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:Bad idea: if these trees spread into the wild, which they will, and start spreading into forests, which they will, it will screw up nocturnal animals shit all over the place. Unless you make them all unable to reproduce, and we know from Jurassic Park how that turns out.

The idea requires us to physically introduce the nanoparticles into the tree, it wouldn't produce them itself. We simply don't have the GM technology to initiate the biosynthesis of novel compounds; if we did, I'd be out of a job PDQ.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 am UTC

++$_ wrote:You have to excite the trees with ultraviolet light to get them to glow. So this is the world's dumbest* way to make street lights -- you don't get any energy out of them, except during the day when you don't need them to be turned on.

That's what the gold particles are for.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:13 am UTC

Sizik wrote:That's what the gold particles are for.
What's what the gold particles are for? For making it awesome?

Because it clearly has no other purpose when it comes to streetlights. In order to excite the gold particles, you have to provide light at a 285 nm wavelength. That is ultraviolet. Thus, it is not available at night unless you provide it at the cost of energy (and incidentally, it says that the efficiency is on the order of 10-4, so we are putting in WAY more energy than we are getting out). The chlorophyll, by the way, will fluoresce with input of 395 nm light (which is actually visible, though barely), and at a much greater efficiency.

Robert'); DROP TABLE *;

Postby Robert'); DROP TABLE *; » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

Prefanity wrote:

Nobody else thought Pandora?
...And that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

Robert'); DROP TABLE *; wrote:
Prefanity wrote:

Nobody else thought Pandora?

Personally, I've not seen that movie.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

It is still a sweet idea. Imagine; Glowing gold trees along roadways and foot trails.
I know that they said that the trees glow red. Ick. Red glow might be worse than no glow.
I have been in towns that use orange lights. Not nice.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:07 am UTC

I did a double take when I saw this topic since I frequent the mod section of the minecraft forums... It is a mod already too.

Would make for a good x-mas tree

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 am UTC

Personally, I'd love this just for trees in my back garden. Flick on the blacklights, the trees glow! That would be pretty impressive methinks.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

iop

Postby iop » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

++$_ wrote:You have to excite the trees with ultraviolet light to get them to glow. So this is the world's dumbest* way to make street lights -- you don't get any energy out of them, except during the day when you don't need them to be turned on.

Why did they not simply transfect plants with luciferase? Thus, the trees would glow without UV excitation.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

addams wrote:It is still a sweet idea. Imagine; Glowing gold trees along roadways and foot trails.
I know that they said that the trees glow red. Ick. Red glow might be worse than no glow.
I have been in towns that use orange lights. Not nice.

But... But... Red light is splendid for stargazing! (edit: also, helps preserve nighttime vision sensitivity for those of us doing boring things, like watching where we are going as we walk/drive)

Actually, I am not sure if this would be red enough for good astronomy. Would be nice if they gave the actual output wavelength, rather than just throwing in the 400nm gold emission/chlorophyll excitation info.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

So... Neon Trees actually DO exist.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:25 am UTC

letterX wrote:
Aikanaro wrote: My second thought was of Laurelin and Telperion, if that helps any.

iChef wrote:Nature already has a way to take care of the bug[...] Giant freaking spiders.

I have a feeling this will turn out poorly...

So we just need spiders to evolve into Ungoliant to solve all the problems of insects being attracted to the trees.

Of course, then something to prey on the giant freaking spiders needs to be put into place to keep them from eating us...

Combining Arda and science may not have been such a good idea...
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Return to “News & Articles”