Couple goes to Maldives for marriage, gets insults

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Couple goes to Maldives for marriage, gets insults

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

From the Beeb.

Spoiler:
Police in the Maldives have arrested two employees of a resort allegedly involved in abusing a European couple renewing their marriage vows.

One of the men acted as the celebrant, who allegedly called the couple "infidels" during the luxury ceremony.

A video of the ceremony was posted on YouTube and went viral, sparking fears for the tourism-dependent economy.

President Mohamed Nasheed has promised new guidelines on conducting wedding ceremonies for tourists.

In his weekly radio address on Friday, President Nasheed described the behaviour of those involved as "absolutely disgraceful".

He said all tourist hotels will be required to follow the rules, which will be issued soon.

He noted that "bad behaviour, such as that depicted in the YouTube video, can cause enormous damage to the country's tourism industry".

The government has launched an investigation into the incident at the Vilu Reef resort.

Both men are being held in police custody while the prosecutor's office decides on charges.

With police refusing to confirm the couple's nationality, their identity remains a mystery, although a Maldives tourism official told AFP news agency they were French.

The foreign ministry identified them as Swiss, however.

The amateur film on YouTube shows a celebrant explaining the ceremony in English before everyone stands and holds their hands up to pray.
'Infidel and atheist'

He uses the intonating style of prayers to unleash a torrent of abuse in the Dhivehi tongue on the unwitting couple, who smile shyly.

"Your marriage is not a valid one," he says. "You are not the kind of people who can have a valid marriage. One of you is an infidel.

"The other, too, is an infidel - and we have reason to believe - an atheist, who does not even believe in an infidel religion.

"You fornicate and make a lot of children. You drink and you eat pork."

The celebrant also makes references to bestiality, sexual diseases and "frequent fornication by homosexuals".

After the ceremony, the couple are taken to plant a coconut tree together, during which various comments are made about the bride's breasts.

The hotel has apologised for the incident and is in contact with the couple to offer compensation, said Ahmed Shakir, the head of Sun Investments, which operates the resort.

He told the BBC he did not know if other couples have been subjected to the same sham ceremony and abuse but the company was investigating the possibility.

Vilu Reef charges $1,300 (£820) for the ceremony, which it says offers couples the chance to "mark a milestone in your amazing journey together".

The full video on Youtube

Basically, a couple goes to an island paradise to get married, the guy conducting the marriage ceremony doesn't like foreigners/non-muslims/perceived-amorality/whatever, insults the couple in his own language, and pretends it's a religious prayer. All while accepting their money for the services. Apparently the priest (or whatever) didn't realize that someone on the interblags might be able translate, and it caused a huge emberassment in a country whose chief export is tourism.

Reminds me of that case where the tattoo artist, tired of preppy white kids getting Chinese/Japanese letter tattoos that they couldn't even read, decided to simply tattoo insults on them. Oh, and in prison he later tattooed insults on the inmates, and had to be placed in a private cell for his own safety.

Zauderer

Re: Couple goes to Maldives for marriage, gets insults

Postby Zauderer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Reminds me of that case where the tattoo artist, tired of preppy white kids getting Chinese/Japanese letter tattoos that they couldn't even read, decided to simply tattoo insults on them. Oh, and in prison he later tattooed insults on the inmates, and had to be placed in a private cell for his own safety.

That was a hoax, see here (fourth item).

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:08 pm UTC

I don't know who the person giving the ceremony is, but he is my new hero. That was absolutely hilarious.

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

Zauderer wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Reminds me of that case where the tattoo artist, tired of preppy white kids getting Chinese/Japanese letter tattoos that they couldn't even read, decided to simply tattoo insults on them. Oh, and in prison he later tattooed insults on the inmates, and had to be placed in a private cell for his own safety.

Nonsensical Asian tattoos are very real, though.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

Outchanter wrote:
Zauderer wrote:

Always stick with elven runes.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexsha ... runes.html

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:08 am UTC

The horror! The etymological horror!

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:02 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:
Outchanter wrote:
Zauderer wrote:

Always stick with elven runes.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexsha ... runes.html

Er, are we talking DnD elvish? Because I'm 90% sure that those are neither Quenya nor Sindarin....
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:44 am UTC

They're certainly not Ardan. Eldanar seems to be a pretty common phonetic construction to sound Elvish, google turns up a few pages about conlangs, some MMO wikis, and a couple of facebook pages (go figure).

A tattoo in Tengwar would be pretty nifty. Though it's easier to go from Latin alphabet to Ereborean runes (and probably more people can read those anyway. Still like 5).
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

RAKtheUndead

Postby RAKtheUndead » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:07 am UTC

I'm inclined to think that this is a punishment to them for getting married in the first place. I'm anything but a fan of marriage, considering it a prison for the naive and idealistic. However, spending that amount of money on the "renewing your vows" ceremony to find out you've been insulted all the time is pretty harsh. It's easy enough to insult somebody's marriage without taking several thousand dollars of their money in the process. That's beyond the pale.
"The outright rejection of technology cripples the otherwise educated mind." - RAK

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:12 pm UTC

RAKtheUndead wrote:I'm inclined to think that this is a punishment to them for getting married in the first place. I'm anything but a fan of marriage, considering it a prison for the naive and idealistic.

I'm inclined to think this is just some asshole who thinks he's funny. I'm also inclined to tell you that nobody cares what you think of marriage.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:36 am UTC

dubsola wrote:
RAKtheUndead wrote:I'm inclined to think that this is a punishment to them for getting married in the first place. I'm anything but a fan of marriage, considering it a prison for the naive and idealistic.

I'm inclined to think this is just some asshole who thinks he's funny. I'm also inclined to tell you that nobody cares what you think of marriage.

I care.

RAKtheUndead

Postby RAKtheUndead » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:17 am UTC

dubsola wrote:

Asshole? Yes. Funny? No. I have my reasons for detesting marriage, and feeling slightly smug when it all goes down the tubes.
"The outright rejection of technology cripples the otherwise educated mind." - RAK

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:33 am UTC

The comments on the youtube video are some of the best I've ever seen in a long, long time. Read some through and you'll remind yourself to commit global destruction the moment you're powerful enough to do so.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:38 am UTC

RAKtheUndead wrote:Asshole? Yes. Funny? No. I have my reasons for detesting marriage, and feeling slightly smug when it all goes down the tubes.

If you don't agree with marriage that's fair enough, you don't have to get married. But to find smug enjoyment at hearing of someone else's not working out? Stick your reasons, there's a word for someone who feels smug at anothers misfortune: twat.

(Ok, so there's many words but today I like that one.)

Hell, the article isn't even about a marriage going down the tubes, it's just about someone being an asshole.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:33 am UTC

I like to do this with dogs. Tell them in a dog-friendly tone that they are dirty carpet-peeers who would be sold for meat if I had my say, and that I am disappointed their skin is so ugly you couldn't make good leather from it. If you do it right, the beasts love you for the attention you give them and want to hear more the next time.

Saying mean things in a friendly tone is somewhat harder than it sounds. You really have to practice before you can say "Rot in hell scumbag" without some harshness slipping in your tone.

Please don't laugh about my hobbies.

The opposite is good against annoying tourists: pretend to be mad at them in your language, while in reality you call them "shoe-polish carrying steam boat", or something like that. Again, the trick is to sound seriously mad.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

This is a skill I have in spades. I can use a "I'm your best friend, and I'm telling you how awesome you are" voice while informing someone that if they continue to step out of line I will shut them down so hard their children's children's children's children's great-grandbabies are going to panic every time they even think about stepping into a street against a red light.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Return to “News & Articles”