What's next? Making rape victims cheer for their assaulters?

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

NecklaceOfShadow

What's next? Making rape victims cheer for their assaulters?

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

Oh, wait.

If someone assaulted you, would you want to then cheer for his performance on a basketball court? A 16-year-old Texas high school student sure didn’t.

High school football star Rakheem Bolton and two others were indicted for sexual assault of a child–identified only as H.S.–at a post-game party in 2008. According to H.S.–a fellow student and cheerleader at Silsbee High–Bolton, football player Christian Rountree and another juvenile male forced her into a room, locked the door, held her down and sexually assaulted her. When other party-goers tried to get into the room, two of the men fled through an open window, including Bolton, who left clothing behind. Bolton allegedly threatened to shoot the occupants of the house when the homeowner refused to return his clothes.

In September 2010, Bolton pled guilty to a lesser charge of Class A Assault and was sentenced to one year in prison, a sentence that was suspended by the judge in lieu of two years probation, a $2,500 fine, community service and an anger management course.

Silsbee school officials had two responses to the incident. First, they urged H.S. to keep a low profile, such as avoiding the school cafeteria and not taking part in homecoming activities. With the support of her family, she refused to do so, rejecting the notion that she had anything to be ashamed of. Secondly, school officials kicked her off the cheerleading squad for refusing to cheer for Bolton. No kidding.

Bolton had been allowed back on campus during a brief period when one grand jury withdrew the charges before another grand jury reinstated them. During a basketball game, H.S. cheered for the entire team but refused to cheer “Rakheem” during his free-throws, so she was off the squad.

H.S.’s parents sued the school for violating her right to free speech, but an appeals court dismissed her case earlier this month. The bizarre reasoning: “In her capacity as cheerleader, [she] served as a mouthpiece through which the school could disseminate speech–namely, support for its athletic teams.” Not cheering for Bolton “constituted substantial interference with the work of the school because, as a cheerleader, [she] was at the basketball game for the purpose of cheering, a position she undertook voluntarily.” In other words, the “work of the school” is basketball, and H.S. was obligated to put on a robotic smile and cheer for the man who had assaulted her.

Silsbee High School officials should be held accountable for their actions. Richard Bain, Jr., the superintendent of schools, allegedly ordered H.S. to cheer for her attacker. Why don’t you tell him what you think? Here’s his contact information:
Richard Bain Jr., Superintendent, Silsbee Independent School District, 415 Highway 327 West, Silsbee, TX, 77656; rbain@silsbeeisd.org; (409) 980-7800

And you can contact the school’s new principal, Eldon Franco, to demand that H.S. be reinstated on the squad:
Eldon Franco, Principal, Silsbee High School, 1575 Highway 96 North, Silsbee, TX, 77656-4799; efranco@silsbeeisd.org; (409) 980-7800

change.org has set up a petition that one can sign to demand that the high school apologize for their piss-poor treatment of H.S. I implore you to sign it if you haven't already.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

M.C.

Re: What's next? Making rape victims cheer for their assault

Postby M.C. » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

The star of the football team is apparently a valuable asset. Good to see the priorities of the school are in order.
Nobody likes Milhouse!

kiklion

Postby kiklion » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

While it can be argued that the assaulter shouldn't have been allowed to participate in sports, I agree with the court here. When you are on a sports team you do what the coach says, unless it's illegal. If you partake in wrestling, and you have a female on your team, you do not complain about training with her, and she should not complain about training with men (assuming there is no girls only or boys only teams.) By willingly being a part of a group, you validate what they stand for. If you join the cheer-leading squad that cheers at sports events, then you validate cheering for all of the athletes at those sport events.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm UTC

I can't believe that country is so backward. Punish the victim by asking her to not attend homecoming? Forcing her to cheer for her rapist if she's on the cheer team? What a messed up culture.

FYI: I live in Texas
Last edited by Роберт on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:37 pm UTC

kiklion wrote:While it can be argued that the assaulter shouldn't have been allowed to participate in sports, I agree with the court here. When you are on a sports team you do what the coach says, unless it's illegal. If you partake in wrestling, and you have a female on your team, you do not complain about training with her, and she should not complain about training with men (assuming there is no girls only or boys only teams.) By willingly being a part of a group, you validate what they stand for. If you join the cheer-leading squad that cheers at sports events, then you validate cheering for all of the athletes at those sport events.

...Uh...no.

Just...no.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

I have to admit needing to take a moment to compose myself after reading that before I posted. The school was way out of line and so was the court. The athlete needs to be thrown out of the program, if not the school. Not to mention, basically punishing this poor girl (hey, you were raped? Sorry. You might not want to go anywhere where you might tick off other students) is ridiculous in the extreme.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:00 pm UTC

While I think the school's behavior was deplorable, I don't see the violation of her free speech.

In terms of her free speech rights, I don't see why she has a right to deviate from the script simply because it would inflict great pain on her, unless she also would when it would inflict no pain on her and she's just being whimsical. There's not a clear standard that justifies that. Absolutely, yes, the school shouldn't have used it's discretion in this way. But that's not the same as saying they don't have the power to require all cheerleaders perform the cheers.

Not going along with the script clearly does detract from the purpose of the activity. Likewise, I would say an atheist who joins a choir at can't skip the word God in a song. You'll rightly point out that one example is way more extreme than the other. But why does the student have more free speech in the extreme case than in the mundane one? Both are equally detrimental to the school's purpose in organizing the activity and both are equally disruptive to the activity. So while what the school should do certainly changes, what the school can do doesn't change.
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

I agree that the school is obviously run by a bunch of fucktards, but I agree with the court. The school shouldnt have done what it did, but I cant really see any legal principle saying that they cant do it.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

How is he not expelled for this?

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

In September 2010, Bolton pled guilty to a lesser charge of Class A Assault and was sentenced to one year in prison, a sentence that was suspended by the judge in lieu of two years probation, a $2,500 fine, community service and an anger management course.

My guess would be that it's not a serious enough offense for the school to expel someone over. While they may suspect him of rape, legally he shouldn't be treated as if he committed it.
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 am UTC

Robstickle wrote:How is he not expelled for this?

I'm guessing this occurred before his conviction (especially since he got prison time, making it highly unlikely he was playing high school ball while serving time).

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:12 am UTC

Aetius wrote:I'm guessing this occurred before his conviction (especially since he got prison time, making it highly unlikely he was playing high school ball while serving time).
He didn't serve any time, his sentence was wholly suspended.
the Article wrote:In September 2010, Bolton pled guilty to a lesser charge of Class A Assault and was sentenced to one year in prison, a sentence that was suspended by the judge in lieu of two years probation, a $2,500 fine, community service and an anger management course.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:31 am UTC

Роберт wrote:I can't believe that country is so backward. Punish the victim by asking her to not attend homecoming? Forcing her to cheer for her rapist if she's on the cheer team? What a messed up culture.

FYI: I live in Texas

Not Texas, mostly just Waco and a few other small towns out East (Just look how close Silsbee is to Beaumont, pretty much all the explanation for this ridiculousness I need)

I really can't believe he was Allowed to play, Texas takes highschool sports pretty seriously, and there's been a real crackdwon in the last ten or twenty years on letting students play with poor academics or bad behavior in or out of school. I bet if there was alcohol or marijuana at that party, these kids would never play sports again...
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:35 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:I agree that the school is obviously run by a bunch of fucktards, but I agree with the court. The school shouldnt have done what it did, but I cant really see any legal principle saying that they cant do it.

This. There is no law against being a fucktard.

But yeah, a school like that deserves to have massive public action taken against it. Best thing that can happen is if parents pull their kids out. What's the likelihood of that happening on a big scale?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:30 am UTC

M.C. wrote:The star of the football team is apparently a valuable asset. Good to see the priorities of the school are in order.

You know what was the highlight of my week? Flunking a football player.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:54 am UTC

I was going to agree with the school can't be sued for stupidity; but wouldn't the girl have action under intentional affliction of emotional distress?
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

engr

Postby engr » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:50 am UTC

Why was the rapist allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge in the first place? I'm not sure I understand this aspect of US judicial system. Do courts do that when they are not sure whether jury will convict or acquit?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. Gilbert K. Chesterton

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:52 am UTC

engr wrote:Why was the rapist allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge in the first place? I'm not sure I understand this aspect of US judicial system. Do courts do that when they are not sure whether jury will convict or acquit?

I believe the normal reason is

A. the evidence amounts to he said she said with little more; and they would rather get some charge then risk aquittal

B. the victim doesn't want to testify, so they try to avoid that with a plea.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:02 am UTC

engr wrote:Why was the rapist allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge in the first place? I'm not sure I understand this aspect of US judicial system. Do courts do that when they are not sure whether jury will convict or acquit?

It's called plea bargaining, and it's a very significant part of US criminal justice today. Most cases are settled not by trial, but by a guilty plea agreed upon by the defense and the prosecution.
Exit the vampires' castle.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:26 am UTC

Lazar wrote:

It's called plea bargaining, and it's a very significant part of US criminal justice today. Most cases are settled not by trial, but by a guilty plea agreed upon by the defense and the prosecution.

And at the risk of derailment, that plea bargaining system is very very horrible. Criminals get away with lighter punishments than they deserve, and innocent people are tempted to confess to a crime they didn't commit in order to avoid an even harsher punishment (which is pretty much the definition of confession under duress).

Back on topic, reading the whole thing makes me blood boil. As despicable as the situation is, the court is right. The point of a cheerleading group is to cheer their entire sports team, and a member who is unable to do that does not belong there. HOWEVER, it should not have even been an issue. The rapist should have been kicked straight off the sports team the moment the school heard about the incident. Instead, they have been treating this girl like she's the one who is out of order. What the shit?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:40 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Lazar wrote:

And at the risk of derailment, that plea bargaining system is very very horrible. Criminals get away with lighter punishments than they deserve, and innocent people are tempted to confess to a crime they didn't commit in order to avoid an even harsher punishment (which is pretty much the definition of confession under duress).

Back on topic, reading the whole thing makes me blood boil. As despicable as the situation is, the court is right. The point of a cheerleading group is to cheer their entire sports team, and a member who is unable to do that does not belong there. HOWEVER, it should not have even been an issue. The rapist should have been kicked straight off the sports team the moment the school heard about the incident. Instead, they have been treating this girl like she's the one who is out of order. What the shit?

He wasn't convicted of rape, he was convicted of assault. Much the same however, when it comes to being in a school sports team.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:59 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Back on topic, reading the whole thing makes me blood boil. As despicable as the situation is, the court is right. The point of a cheerleading group is to cheer their entire sports team, and a member who is unable to do that does not belong there. HOWEVER, it should not have even been an issue. The rapist should have been kicked straight off the sports team the moment the school heard about the incident. Instead, they have been treating this girl like she's the one who is out of order. What the shit?

While I agree they treated the girl in a thoroughly unacceptable manner, they can't take action against the guy until there has been a conviction. This is a public school, not the NBA; he has the right to participate until he loses that right via due process.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:09 am UTC

Aetius wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Back on topic, reading the whole thing makes me blood boil. As despicable as the situation is, the court is right. The point of a cheerleading group is to cheer their entire sports team, and a member who is unable to do that does not belong there. HOWEVER, it should not have even been an issue. The rapist should have been kicked straight off the sports team the moment the school heard about the incident. Instead, they have been treating this girl like she's the one who is out of order. What the shit?

While I agree they treated the girl in a thoroughly unacceptable manner, they can't take action against the guy until there has been a conviction. This is a public school, not the NBA; he has the right to participate until he loses that right via due process.

Alright then, kicked out the moment he pled guilty.

Look, from the school's point of view there was a problem. You have a guy in the sports team who is despised by a girl in the cheerleading team, and this needs to be dealt with. You have two options: kick the guy out of the sports team or kick the girl out of the cheerleading team. Which do you choose? But then add the fact that the guy has pled guilty to assaulting her (never mind sexual assault, which wasn't the final conviction), and suddenly the decision is incredibly easy. You boot that son of a bitch off the team so hard his head spins, because he's the fucker who deserves to be punished. Thus, peace is restored to both the cheerleading and sports teams.

But they didn't do that. They took the stupid and wrong option.

Edit: looking at it from that point of view, I retract my earlier statement that the court was right. The court should have told the school to expel the jock from the team and invite the girl to re-join the cheerleaders.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:16 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Alright then, kicked out the moment he pled guilty.

Look, from the school's point of view there was a problem. You have a guy in the sports team who is despised by a girl in the cheerleading team, and this needs to be dealt with. You have two options: kick the guy out of the sports team or kick the girl out of the cheerleading team. Which do you choose? But then add the fact that the guy has pled guilty to assaulting her (never mind sexual assault, which wasn't the final conviction), and suddenly the decision is incredibly easy. You boot that son of a bitch off the team so hard his head spins, because he's the fucker who deserves to be punished. Thus, peace is restored to both the cheerleading and sports teams.

Edit: looking at it from that point of view, I retract my earlier statement that the court was right. The court should have told the school to expel the jock from the team and invite the girl to re-join the cheerleaders.

From the article:

Bolton had been allowed back on campus during a brief period when one grand jury withdrew the charges before another grand jury reinstated them. During a basketball game, H.S. cheered for the entire team but refused to cheer “Rakheem” during his free-throws, so she was off the squad.

So legally, at the time H.S. refused to cheer for Bolton he was just as innocent and free from suspicion as anyone else on the team, he was not even considered a defendant. Hence the school would have (presumably) no legal way of kicking him off the team.
Saying that if you want to be on the cheerleading team you cheer for everyone, period, is a defensible course of action IMO*, so I agree with the court. The rest of the school's behaviour (e.g. suggesting H.S. avoid the cafeteria) is absolutely not defensible though.

*Though extremely dickish in this case.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:18 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Alright then, kicked out the moment he pled guilty.

Considering the assault took place in 2008, the plea was just entered a month ago and the assailant is now 19, I'm guessing he has never played for the school post-conviction.

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:22 am UTC

johnny_7713 wrote:So legally, at the time H.S. refused to cheer for Bolton he was just as innocent and free from suspicion as anyone else on the team, he was not even considered a defendant. Hence the school would have (presumably) no legal way of kicking him off the team.
Huh? There a legal right to be on a team now? Can I sue my school for not getting picked for mine?

They could have kicked him off at any point for any reason. The only excuse they have if they didn't is that the allegations hadn't arisen. From the moment the allegations were raised, and were credible, he should have been suspended. If it subsequently gets proved the allegations were lies, then he deserves an apology and some form of redress. But while the allegations are neither proved nor disproved, she deserves protection.

There is a reason why we remove children from parents accused of crimes against them even before the crimes are proved (so even while the parent is still innocent in the eyes of the law), and the same line of reasoning applies here.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:10 am UTC

elasto wrote:They could have kicked him off at any point for any reason. The only excuse they have if they didn't is that the allegations hadn't arisen. From the moment the allegations were raised, and were credible, he should have been suspended. If it subsequently gets proved the allegations were lies, then he deserves an apology and some form of redress. But while the allegations are neither proved nor disproved, she deserves protection.

There is a reason why we remove children from parents accused of crimes against them even before the crimes are proved (so even while the parent is still innocent in the eyes of the law), and the same line of reasoning applies here.

Yes because, it is totally a good idea to allow charges that have been suspended to carry effect. Because a accusation of rape *always* mean that the guy is guilty and should be hanged from the nearest tree.

If you read that, it's clear that he was initially suspended from campus as soon as charges were brought. When charges was then dismissed by a grand jury, they allowed him into campus and the football team again (as they should, it's a horrible idea to let charges that have been dismissed to carry any weight, for any number of reasons). Then when the charges was reinstated by another grand jury he was kicked off campus again.

So far the school has acted completely right.

Of course, the part where they told her to keep a low profile was just horrible. And kicking her off the cheerleading team is fairly insensitive (could have been handled a lot better).

But the part where they allowed him back when charges was dismissed? Completely correct behaviour by the school.

The analogy with removing children is actually spot on. We remove the children if charges are brought, just to be safe (aka. kicking him off) campus, if charges are then dismissed, you know what happens? They get the children back.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:34 pm UTC

Schools are allowed to kick anyone off for any reason. And they could have easily suspended him while the trial was running, even if one grand jury temporary dropped the charges. Schools are not courthouses, they are allowed to act on mere suspicion. I agree that you shouldn't suspend someone merely on an accusation, but in this case there were witnesses and all.

And if you have to allow him on the tema, what's wrong with a compromise? Allow him to play, allow her to cheer, and allow her to cheer not for the bits where he's playing solo. Surely that can't be that hard a compromise.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

The NFL: Now available at YOUR high school!
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

Not a big deal but the guy plays basketball, not football. A football player was a cohort but not the guy behind all the legal stuff.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

So, the email of the principal was listed by the OP; this is one of those rare cases in N&A where we can perhaps do something proactively. Does anyone want to draft a letter, post it in the thread, and everyone who wants to can send it to the principal?

Maybe spread this around on facebook?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

I'm a horrible writer but I think that is a good idea. I'd totally email it if someone wrote it in an agreeable way.

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:
elasto wrote:They could have kicked him off at any point for any reason. The only excuse they have if they didn't is that the allegations hadn't arisen. From the moment the allegations were raised, and were credible, he should have been suspended. If it subsequently gets proved the allegations were lies, then he deserves an apology and some form of redress. But while the allegations are neither proved nor disproved, she deserves protection.

Yes because, it is totally a good idea to allow charges that have been suspended to carry effect. Because a accusation of rape *always* mean that the guy is guilty and should be hanged from the nearest tree.

If you read that, it's clear that he was initially suspended from campus as soon as charges were brought. When charges was then dismissed by a grand jury, they allowed him into campus and the football team again (as they should, it's a horrible idea to let charges that have been dismissed to carry any weight, for any number of reasons). Then when the charges was reinstated by another grand jury he was kicked off campus again.

So far the school has acted completely right.

Of course, the part where they told her to keep a low profile was just horrible. And kicking her off the cheerleading team is fairly insensitive (could have been handled a lot better).

But the part where they allowed him back when charges was dismissed? Completely correct behaviour by the school.

The analogy with removing children is actually spot on. We remove the children if charges are brought, just to be safe (aka. kicking him off) campus, if charges are then dismissed, you know what happens? They get the children back.

Why were the charges dismissed though? Was it on a technicality?

See, there are actually three distinct situations here:
(1) The guy is accused of rape and found guilty, and suffers legal sanctions
(2) The guy is accused of rape and there is not enough evidence to convict
(3) The guy is accused of rape and it is concluded the accuser gave false testimony, and she suffers legal sanctions

In case 1, obviously the guy should suffer all possible sanctions.
In case 3, obviously the guy should suffer no sanctions at all
In case 2, it's important to note that just because someone has not been found guilty, it doesn't mean they aren't guilty. Legally, obviously, there can be no consequences. But, socially, people have to make a judgement call: Forcing a girl to cheer the person she has accused of rape is a terrible, terrible judgement call for the school to make - and they should rightly suffer for it.

(Incidentally, the same applies to children who accuse their parents of abuse where it has not been concluded that the children have given false testimony. Legally there can be no sanctions. But social services (or the equivalent for your country) definitely need to stay involved).

Btw, this line is quite irritating:

Because a accusation of rape *always* mean that the guy is guilty and should be hanged from the nearest tree.

There is a middle ground between 'hanging him from the nearest tree' and forcing the girl to cheer for him. I believe most people are arguing for that middle way here. The school should have used their common sense.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

At some point things become so tragic and backwards that i can't help but find them funny. I guess because i'm a bad person.

this other article wrote:I have no hard feelings," said Bolton. "I never have and I feel like it was just a misunderstanding."

That's right, he forgives her.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:

Which is a reasonable response if he didnt actually rape her, and she falsely accused him. We dont know if he did or not.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:
Spambot5546 wrote:

Which is a reasonable response if he didnt actually rape her, and she falsely accused him. We dont know if he did or not.

Except he pleaded guilty.

mb2612

Postby mb2612 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
BlackSails wrote:
Spambot5546 wrote:

To something other than rape, hence he legally did not rape her

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

mb2612 wrote:
Diadem wrote:
BlackSails wrote:
Spambot5546 wrote:

To something other than rape, hence he legally did not rape her

But still to assault. Which makes the whole 'I forgive her for falsely accusing me' line a bit unrealistic.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:28 am UTC

That's not what he said. It's likely that he honestly believes that her accusation was unreasonable and off-base. It's entirely possible that he's right.

Without knowing the specifics of what transpired, it's not a productive avenue of discussion.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

mstjarna

Postby mstjarna » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:47 am UTC

Kag wrote:That's not what he said. It's likely that he honestly believes that her accusation was unreasonable and off-base. It's entirely possible that he's right.

It is also entirely possible that he thinks he should not be held accountable for his actions, because he feels privileged, and feels no compunction in lying and manipulating people to maintain his privilege.

You know, he's a star, a local celebrity, who brings honor to his school. Rules and responsibilities are for other people, and she should have shut up.

Who doesn't know a couple people who have such self/other feelings?

Return to “News & Articles”