Poll: Would you sell your right to vote for...?

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

What would you sell your vote for?

Nothing.
14%
$5.50.
7%
An iPod touch.
8%
Free tuition to school.
27%
A million dollars.
38%
Unsure.
7%

Total votes: 224

lowbart

Re: Poll: Would you sell your right to vote for...?

Postby lowbart » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

Even in a semi-swing state like Virginia or New Jersey (the places I have been eligible to vote), a million dollars would enable me to cause a hell of a lot more political change than one vote in the worthless Electoral College.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Znath

Postby Znath » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

Maybe I would for enough to retire well in a tax haven that... doesn't vote anyway like Puerto Rico or something :P

GourdCaptain

Postby GourdCaptain » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

Heck, there's nobody I want to vote for anyway in most federal elections, and I know all my personal beliefs wouldn't result in a working government, so...

The only problem is, I actually want to vote on some of the issues.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:47 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:In America, with the electoral college, it is arguably economically irrational to vote (outside swing states, for sure). Wasting several hours of time waiting in line, maybe even forgoing a partial workday depending on how long they are.

Why don't they increase capacity so there are no lines? It seems weird to demand hours of waiting in order to be able to vote from people.

I've never had to wait more than two minutes to vote here, and I don't think I'm much of an exception.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

Mavketl wrote:
meatyochre wrote:In America, with the electoral college, it is arguably economically irrational to vote (outside swing states, for sure). Wasting several hours of time waiting in line, maybe even forgoing a partial workday depending on how long they are.

Why don't they increase capacity so there are no lines? It seems weird to demand hours of waiting in order to be able to vote from people.

I've never had to wait more than two minutes to vote here, and I don't think I'm much of an exception.

I don't know why. When I was in college wait times were in excess of 2 hours no matter what time you lined up. Now I live in a Chicago suburb and it's busy as hell. If they'd let people go to whichever voting area in their state, it might be different. But we can't.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

tendays

Postby tendays » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 am UTC

Where is the "I would not sell my vote for any amount whatsoever" option?
<Will> s/hate/love/
Hammer wrote:We are only mildly modly. :D
Beware of the shrolymerase!

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

At the top.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Osha

Postby Osha » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

Boise has the line problem handled pretty good, at least around my area. I ended up waiting in line like... 0 minutes last time.
That said, assuming there was no chance of anyone ever finding out, and that it was one of those big votes (not a jury vote or anything), and that I had no reason to be suspicious of the person offering to buy it (not going to happen in real life), then yeah. I'd sell my vote for tuition or 1,000,000 dollars; after all, it would increase my leverage when it comes to getting stuff changed, not decrease it.
'Course you could sell your vote, and then actually vote how you were going to originally. They're secret after all right? Although probably a person or organization willing to pay you so much for a single vote (a demon?!) would be able to tell through magic / spies / hidden cameras / a ridiculous action movie scene involving switching out the truck carrying the votes with a fake one.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:At the top.

The confusion I believe is that I would sell my vote for nothing, could also mean I would give you my vote for no recompension, as opposed to I would not give you my vote for recompension regardless of the amount.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:38 pm UTC

On the basis of a one-off contest like the general election just gone in the UK, where I was a Conservative voter with an option of balloting in hardly-marginal seats for the Labour and Liberal Democrat parties, and assuming no recriminations for my actions, I'd sell myself out at the iPod Touch level. I don't want an iPod Touch per se [damn Apple products in their corporate shinies] but that sort of level of cash recoup or a similar level of tech would be enough to swing me back to my political apathy side and away from being the statistical blip changing Joe Bloggs of the Tories getting 9.8% rather than 9.7% of the vote-share.

Permanent basis or widescale national basis where many civilians were engaging in it, then I'd have a rethink.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

I'd sell my vote for a box of donuts. I should probably care about it more, but I simply don't.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:

The confusion I believe is that I would sell my vote for nothing, could also mean I would give you my vote for no recompension, as opposed to I would not give you my vote for recompension regardless of the amount.

ah, sorry. the top option is meant to be the one where you wouldn't sell it for anything. I see how the double negative can be confusing
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

nicolebeckett

Postby nicolebeckett » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

Wouldn't sell it for anything... Too many Americans have given their lives so that I could have the right to vote.

tendays

Postby tendays » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:31 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:

ah, sorry. the top option is meant to be the one where you wouldn't sell it for anything. I see how the double negative can be confusing
Yes, especially as they seem to be sorted by increasing value.

/me votes "Nothing", but wonders how many people voted that thinking it meant zero.

I doubt many people gave their lives so that I could vote (especially not Americans), but I still have this romantic view of democracy where one (adult) person has one vote, no more and no less.
<Will> s/hate/love/
Hammer wrote:We are only mildly modly. :D
Beware of the shrolymerase!

Another

Postby Another » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:32 am UTC

A rational person's threshold (one who cares about politics and not so much about legality of vote selling*) would be the cash amount equal to the average vote cost in that area multiplied by the probability of successfully arranging such vote buying himself.

That strategy would either on average help that person's own political agenda while costing him nothing or maintain political status quo while enriching that person.

It may look paradoxic but without laws a unified strictly determined vote cost instantly pops into existence and there are no rational reasons to sell for lower amount and to not sell for a higher amount regardless of your own vote value estimates.

*Rationality of a person who doesn't care about laws at all is highly questionable.

Return to “News & Articles”