New York State to ban SALT

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

netcrusher88

Re: New York State to ban SALT

Postby netcrusher88 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:16 am UTC

Most interesting thing I could find was on an New York Times blog:
NYT City Room blog wrote:[New York] City officials also said this will have no impact on subletting because as the law stands, it is already technically illegal to sublet a unit in a residential building for less than 30 days. They also said that law enforcement responds only to complaints and they had no intention of cracking down on individual subletters.

Also, the law does not apply to single-family homes. So your house is safe.

As far as I can tell, for NYC residents nothing will change, and this is one of those cases where the law exists for abuses. The state doesn't give a damn if you want to house-swap or couch surf or take on a boarder for a few days or a couple weeks.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

zorro226

Postby zorro226 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:47 pm UTC

poxic wrote:My first thought was "NY banning the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks? WTF?"

I thought it was referring to the movie Salt, about a Russian spy, in reaction to the recent suburban Russian spy incidents, because it would encourage people to become Russian spies or something stupid like that.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

The Article wrote:Proponents of the bill say that it's an issue of safety, giving examples of fire codes and housing maintenance regulations. Additionally there are tax issues at hand; they claim that it's illegal to run an apartment building as a hotel.

Ah, the fire code excuse
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

peteb

Postby peteb » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

When I lived in China, every kitchen had three white powders:
salt, sugar, and MSG

All in moderation are fine, certainly including MSG! Been used in cooking for centuries!

phonon266737

Postby phonon266737 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

So, if they're already breaking the law..why don't we start enforcing the law?
Writing a new law can not possibly do anything except make some sublettors who are currently in compliance, criminals.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:36 am UTC

*ahem*

netcrusher88 wrote:Most interesting thing I could find was on an New York Times blog:
NYT City Room blog wrote:[New York] City officials also said this will have no impact on subletting because as the law stands, it is already technically illegal to sublet a unit in a residential building for less than 30 days. They also said that law enforcement responds only to complaints and they had no intention of cracking down on individual subletters.

Also, the law does not apply to single-family homes. So your house is safe.

As far as I can tell, for NYC residents nothing will change, and this is one of those cases where the law exists for abuses. The state doesn't give a damn if you want to house-swap or couch surf or take on a boarder for a few days or a couple weeks.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

And while we're at it, might as well ban hamburgers, pizza, ice cream, candy, donuts, and everything else that's unhealthy.

phonon266737

Postby phonon266737 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:42 pm UTC

Why ban them instead of "sin taxes". I mean, a sin tax sucks, but it's better than making it illegal.

Me321

Postby Me321 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:54 am UTC

Here's an idea, how about leaving buisnesses alone. If there food is making people unhealthy and they are dying then one of two things are going to happen: eventualy people will stop eating there, or natural selection kickes in, either way problem solved.

WaterToFire

Postby WaterToFire » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Me321 wrote:Here's an idea, how about leaving buisnesses alone. If there food is making people unhealthy and they are dying then one of two things are going to happen: eventualy people will stop eating there, or natural selection kickes in, either way problem solved.
This is beside the point, but most people don't die from heart disease while they're still in "breeding years", meaning 20s and 30s... So natural selection will do nothing, unless people start choosing mates based on their diets (not to say that they don't do that, but to my knowledge excess salt leads to heart disease and high blood pressure, not obesity as is the usual visible factor in "attractiveness". People could end up living fertile, but shorter lives and natural selection would do nothing.

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:06 am UTC

Me321 wrote:Here's an idea, how about leaving buisnesses alone. If there food is making people unhealthy and they are dying then one of two things are going to happen: eventualy people will stop eating there, or natural selection kickes in, either way problem solved.

Part of the issue is that we're trying NOT to rely on natural selection. Because relying on natural selection alone could very well mean USA would no longer be inhabitable.
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:42 am UTC

Kyrn wrote:

Part of the issue is that we're trying NOT to rely on natural selection. Because relying on natural selection alone could very well mean USA would no longer be inhabitable.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:43 am UTC

WaterToFire wrote:
This is beside the point, but most people don't die from heart disease while they're still in "breeding years", meaning 20s and 30s... So natural selection will do nothing, unless people start choosing mates based on their diets (not to say that they don't do that, but to my knowledge excess salt leads to heart disease and high blood pressure, not obesity as is the usual visible factor in "attractiveness". People could end up living fertile, but shorter lives and natural selection would do nothing.

Why not leave people and restaurant alone based, not on principles of natural selection, but on the principle of treating adults like grown ups. Some behaviors are risking, some will likely decrease life expectancy, but at some point we have to let people take those risks and trade quantity of life for quality of life. If the token by which they make that trade is some sort of wonderful salted, cured meat, then god bless them; if it's fast food every night, then it's not something I'd count as a good trade, but who the hell am I to try to tell them otherwise?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:00 am UTC

folkhero wrote:Why not leave people and restaurant alone based, not on principles of natural selection, but on the principle of treating adults like grown ups. Some behaviors are risking, some will likely decrease life expectancy, but at some point we have to let people take those risks and trade quantity of life for quality of life. If the token by which they make that trade is some sort of wonderful salted, cured meat, then god bless them; if it's fast food every night, then it's not something I'd count as a good trade, but who the hell am I to try to tell them otherwise?

As a government, protection of your citizens is often regarded as important. Note especially that people aren't omniscient, and don't always know what is good or bad, if someone is doing something which they do not fully understand the repercussions, especially if the repercussions are almost fully negative, shouldn't one step in to prevent it?

(Then again, this is a welfare vs freedom argument. If you value freedom greater than welfare, naturally there is a clash of ideals which isn't easily solved.)
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:49 am UTC

Kyrn wrote:(Then again, this is a welfare vs freedom argument. If you value freedom greater than welfare, naturally there is a clash of ideals which isn't easily solved.)
If you want a central planner to dictate what's best for your welfare, by all means, go for it. If some other people else think that they'd rather define for themselves what's best for their own welfare, it strikes me as the height of arrogance to tell them they're wrong and then enact legislation to force your own definition of their welfare on them.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

phonon266737

Postby phonon266737 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:46 am UTC

If the government is expected to pay for the health care of its citizens, then these sort of things become in the governments best interests ( or at least, in political fantasy land, it sounds like it's saving them money), supposing it costs them less votes than raising taxes. Not that banning salt will actually save anyone any money but some moron somewhere has managed to convince a lot of politicians. Probably someone with a potassium chloride salt-substitute company.

Mactabilis

Postby Mactabilis » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

It seems What Mr. Ortiz would really want would be to ban salt at the table, which is the exact opposite of what he is doing.

Return to “News & Articles”