Chinchilla voted in as President of Costa Rica.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Chinchilla voted in as President of Costa Rica.

Postby Red Hal » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

The BBC wrote:Costa Rica is set to have its first female president, after election results gave governing party candidate Laura Chinchilla an unassailable lead.

With most votes counted from Sunday's poll, Ms Chinchilla had 47% of the vote, 22 points ahead of the main opposition contender, Otton Solis.

Ms Chinchilla, a former vice-president, has pledged to continue the free-market policies of outgoing head, Oscar Arias.

She has also promised to tackle violent crime, a growing issue in Costa Rica.

"The biggest challenge we face is criminality, violence and drug-trafficking," Ms Chinchilla, 50, told her supporters.

Excellent!

Next up, Hilary Clinton?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Re: Chinchilla voted in as President of Costa Rica.

Postby fjafjan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

Based soley on hearsay and loose impressions, I think Kathleen Sebelious would be a much better President than Clinton.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

I was hoping this would be about the rodent.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

I thought the title was going to be a clever joke about short-eared bunnies. o_O

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

Levi wrote:I was hoping this would be about the rodent.

Ditto this :cry:
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

Levi wrote:I was hoping this would be about the rodent.
Indeed.

I feel taken advantage of.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:"The biggest challenge we face is criminality, violence and drug-trafficking," Ms Chinchilla, 50, told her supporters.

So violence is not a crime, then?

Also, wow, horribly poor English. I suppose that's not the language she originally used in speaking to her supporters. But why would the reporter transcribe her words into poor English?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

MacO'McRance

Postby MacO'McRance » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:I thought the title was going to be a clever joke about short-eared bunnies. o_O

Second, it had so much potential.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

Your title led me to believe that an actual small furry chinchilla had been voted in as president.

I am disappointed. :(
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

I apologise for inadvertently misleading you all. Fjafjan, I shall read up more on this Kathleen Sebelius of which you speak ... of.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
The BBC wrote:Ms Chinchilla, a former vice-president, has pledged to continue the free-market policies of outgoing head, Oscar Arias.

Phew! For a bit there I was worried the US would lose its patsy. Time to get those Costa Rican children some ballet lessons and video games!*

*Inside joke. Pay no mind.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

clintonius wrote:
Red Hal wrote:
The BBC wrote:Ms Chinchilla, a former vice-president, has pledged to continue the free-market policies of outgoing head, Oscar Arias.

Phew! For a bit there I was worried the US would lose its patsy. Time to get those Costa Rican children some ballet lessons and video games!*

*Inside joke. Pay no mind.
And here I was about to quote that line with a positive comment. Oh well, I'll do it anyway.

Costa Rica's a fantastic country; pacifism saves them an amazing amount of money, ecotourism is their primary business, leading to amazing environmental protections, and there's popular support for free trade. It's pretty clear they're moving in the right direction.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:28 pm UTC

She's more a Costa Rican Palin than a Clinton, fyi. Conservative candidate and all.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:54 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:She's more a Costa Rican Palin than a Clinton, fyi. Conservative candidate and all.

Just because she's conservative doesn't mean she's a Palin, Palin gets her own whole category.

Also, is she an economic or social conservative, I don't have a problem with economic conservatism, just social. And contrary to American politics, they aren't the same thing.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:She's more a Costa Rican Palin than a Clinton, fyi. Conservative candidate and all.

I think it's only in the US though that conservative equals braindead. Elsewhere in the world you find plenty of intelligent, well-educated conservatives who are not complete hypocrites and bigotes. Inside the US too, I would imagine, but they seem to be a minority there.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:17 am UTC

Sharlos wrote:

Just because she's conservative doesn't mean she's a Palin, Palin gets her own whole category.

Also, is she an economic or social conservative, I don't have a problem with economic conservatism, just social. And contrary to American politics, they aren't the same thing.

Hey, you're the one who projected the negativity into my statement ;p.

Yes, if you read Spanish, she's socially conservative as well. It's pretty typical of female politicians in the Spanish-speaking world, as they get even more "family-oriented" cred by just the association these societies give women.

I said she's not Clinton for several reasons: Poise, political party (Clinton is a liberal; you can't compare them), and talking points. Granted, her lack of warmongering speech is a nice separator from Palin, but in terms of female faces for conservative movements, Palin's here to stay, whether fiscal conservatives seeing their party hijacked by disgruntled older white men and women like it or not.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Return to “News & Articles”