Man donates reward on rape case to victim

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Man donates reward on rape case to victim

Postby the_bandersnatch » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

Time for some news that shows not all humans are dicks:

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8300451.stm

"A waiter given a £10,000 reward for helping to convict a rapist has donated the money to the victim.

Lloyd Gardner, 22, of Ottery St Mary, Devon, contacted police in 2006 after seeing CCTV footage of a man wanted in connection with the rape in Exeter.

He spotted two women he knew on the film - and they led police to rapist Jakub Tomczak.

Mr Gardner said he did not deserve the reward and hoped the cash would help the woman rebuild her life.

He said: "I was told I was entitled to a reward because I gave police the lead they needed as I recognised the two girls and through them detectives were able to track the man down.

I would have probably spent it on an expensive car or something which doesn't seem right so I am happy with my decision
Lloyd Gardner

"It was a difficult decision to make because it is a lot of money and it would have been very helpful but I didn't feel like a deserved it at all.

"With the state that the girl was in after the incident, I really felt that it would go towards making her life a lot better over the next couple of years."

The 48-year-old woman who was attacked in July 2006 was found naked and unconscious in Exeter.

She had suffered a skull fracture and brain damage in the attack and her injuries were so severe she was left with no memory of what had happened and now uses a wheelchair.

Mr Gardner added: "I know that it was the right thing to do. I would have probably spent it on an expensive car or something which doesn't seem right so I am happy with my decision."

Jakub Tomczak, a Polish national, was found guilty of rape and causing grievous bodily harm at Exeter Crown Court in January last year and was given two life sentences to be served in Poland.

The 25-year-old, who was a law student at the time, had been on a night out in the city, and his movements were tracked by CCTV camera.

After the attack, he returned to Poland where, four months later, he voluntarily gave a DNA sample to local police at the request of UK officers.

The sample was analysed in the UK, where it matched the DNA profile taken from semen found on the victim.

He was brought back to the UK to face trial under a European arrest warrant, before being repatriated to Poland after his conviction.

He had denied the attack, saying he had gone home after becoming separated from friends."
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Re: Man donates reward on rape case to victim

Postby Hawknc » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

Top. Bloke.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

Awe *claps*
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

Hey, that's not right! Human beings are supposed to be icky and selfish!

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Bravo that man. I remember that case hitting the news when I was at uni in Exeter, awful.

Also, he's from a village with one of the best Nov 5th celebrations tar barrels :)

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:26 pm UTC

Two life sentences in a Polish prison? Am I a bad person for finding this a very satisfactory punishment?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

wst

Postby wst » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

I don't usually agree with the whole MBE/OBE thing, but I reckon, compared to our athletes from 'Team GB', this guy deserves one. Am I alone in thinking this?
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Return to “News & Articles”