Lulz Ensue Worldwide as Ahmedinejad's [FAKE] Past Comes Out

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

EMTP

Re: Lulz Ensue Worldwide as Ahmedinejad's Past Comes Out

Postby EMTP » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:
I don't know, you sound pretty upset about it.

How so? I didn't learn to write on the interwebs, so I have a habit of writing in complete sentences, which can make me sound solemn. It really seemed to me like you were upset; this thread was dying a quiet death before you bounced in to denounce me as "hating." Which is a pretty strong word when the most negative adjective I used was "gullible." But if you're good, and I'm good, we're all good. Except Philly, who has evidently taken on the role of Digital Phantom of the Opera. We love you, Philly. You can't go wrong with a golden retriever.
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."
-- Alan Watts, "The Way of Zen"

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:45 pm UTC

Simmer, children.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

EMTP wrote:
tzvibish wrote:
I don't know, you sound pretty upset about it.

How so? I didn't learn to write on the interwebs, so I have a habit of writing in complete sentences, which can make me sound solemn. It really seemed to me like you were upset; this thread was dying a quiet death before you bounced in to denounce me as "hating." Which is a pretty strong word when the most negative adjective I used was "gullible."

I can insult you using nonsense words that wouldn't even qualify as "negative adjectives" and it would STILL sound insulting, you sploogy quidder. It's all about the tone; I figure you might already know this since you just called Philwelch a "golden retriever". From someone who doesn't give a damn about this argument at all, your initial post came off as more than a bit angry.

If this story has truly been thoroughly debunked, then we ought to just lock this thread. We're not going anywhere positive. The initial story was chuckleworthy but also pityworthy, because what is more ironic and sad than hating what made you, you?

Anyway can we stop the bickering and the snide insults, please?
milk from space is good for you!

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote: It's all about the tone; I figure you might already know this since you just called Philwelch a "golden retriever".

Nope, you misread. Take another look. I suggested he might benefit from taking a golden retriever as a pet. Mistakes of that kind make me less impressed with attempts to analyze my tone. Get the declarative meaning right and you'll have more credibility talking about the connotative.

The initial story was chuckleworthy but also pityworthy, because what is more ironic and sad than hating what made you, you?

Except of course that there's never been any evidence that the man hates Jews. That's just slander passing for fact. Doesn't like Zionism, says dumb things about the Holocaust -- although there, again, mostly about the way the Holocaust has been used to justify Zionism. He has never claimed the Jews are all-powerful or greedy or all of one mind (1). Nor has he claimed that Jews are stupid, or not clean, or inherently violent (those are all examples of racist beliefs about Arabs affirmed by seventy percent or more of Israelis under 25). There's no evidence he hates Jews, it's simply a claim that certain people who hate him like to repeat over and over.

Seconded.

1. I checked some news accounts, and apparently he made a speech to the UN General Assembly in 2008 in which he is said to have alluded to "Zionist control of international finance." If that's an accurate representation of what he said (the news articles do not give a direct quote) I'd consider that an anti-Semitic remark.
Last edited by EMTP on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

EMTP wrote:
Spacemilk wrote: It's all about the tone; I figure you might already know this since you just called Philwelch a "golden retriever".

Nope, you misread. Take another look. I suggested he might benefit from taking a golden retriever as a pet. Mistakes of that kind make me less impressed with attempts to analyze my tone. Get the declarative meaning right and you'll have more credibility talking about the connotative.

The initial story was chuckleworthy but also pityworthy, because what is more ironic and sad than hating what made you, you?

Except of course that there's never been any evidence that the man hates Jews. That's just slander passing for fact. Doesn't like Zionism, says dumb things about the Holocaust -- although there, again, mostly about the way the Holocaust has been used to justify Zionism. He has never claimed the Jews are all-powerful or greedy or all of one mind. Nor has he claimed that Jews are stupid, or not clean, or inherently violent (those are all examples of racist beliefs about Arabs affirmed by seventy percent or more of Israelis under 25). There's no evidence he hates Jews, it's simply a claim that certain people who hate him like to repeat over and over.

Seconded.

After all that, you seconded the call for no bickering. Now that's ironic. :lol:
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:After all that, you seconded the call for no bickering. Now that's ironic. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

There's a difference between bickering and simply holding an unpopular view. If you can point to any part of that post that qualifies as bickering, please point it out. As far as I'm concerned it's just explanatory.

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

EMTP wrote:
tzvibish wrote:After all that, you seconded the call for no bickering. Now that's ironic. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

There's a difference between bickering and simply holding an unpopular view. If you can point to any part of that post that qualifies as bickering, please point it out. As far as I'm concerned it's just explanatory.

Come on now. You know you can't use your Hitler-lightning until you give in to your anger.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

EMTP wrote:

Hi, I'm the English ANY language, and I just came to tell you that I can be taken multiple ways, as can most logical thought processes, unless you make them with discrete time. It did seem that you were implying that Phillwrench was a golden retriever, rather than (completely out of context) saying that he should get one. Now shush, all of you. Have some tea.

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:Hi, I'm the English ANY language, and I just came to tell you that I can be taken multiple ways, as can most logical thought processes, unless you make them with discrete time.

As the English (or any) language, you should really work on assembling yourself into coherent sentences. It should be a point of pride for the avatar of language, I would think. Then again, maybe assembling yourself into sentences is hard, like yoga.

It did seem that you were implying that Phillwrench was a golden retriever, rather than (completely out of context) saying that he should get one.

Unless you've been reading the thread for more than five posts, which I find is useful if you want to understand what's happening.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

EMTP wrote:
The Reaper wrote:Hi, I'm the English ANY language, and I just came to tell you that I can be taken multiple ways, as can most logical thought processes, unless you make them with discrete time.

As the English (or any) language, you should really work on assembling yourself into coherent sentences. It should be a point of pride for the avatar of language, I would think. Then again, maybe assembling yourself into sentences is hard, like yoga.

It did seem that you were implying that Phillwrench was a golden retriever, rather than (completely out of context) saying that he should get one.

Unless you've been reading the thread for more than five posts, which I find is useful if you want to understand what's happening.

Ruh roh, raggy! When speaking, one doesn't always use proper english. Welcome back to reality. Did you have a nice trip in grammar-1934-germany?

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:Ruh roh, raggy! When speaking, one doesn't always use proper english English. Welcome back to reality. Did you have a nice trip in grammar-1934-germany Germany?

One might want to consider using correct grammar whilst lecturing other people about interpreting language. And correct capitalization whilst excusing your grammatical mistakes (actually I was talking style, not grammar). Or you could just forgo the lecture. Or accept being teased a little. Or to put it informally; Don't start none, won't get none.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:It did seem that you were implying that Phillwrench was a golden retriever, rather than (completely out of context) saying that he should get one.

Your little theory might make some damn sense if it wasn't, you know, completely wrong. Because he said *explicitly* "maybe get a dog". So then, in a later post, saying "goldens are nice" is presumably a reference back to that.

By instead choosing to interpret it as a sudden out-of-the-blue claim that Philwelch *is* a dog, you're the one going completely out of context and being frakking stupid to boot.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

EMTP, Just want you to know, I find your posts highly enjoyable. Like, not a 9 or 10, but usually above a 6, and this is a normalized scale with a gaussian distribution, so that's noticeably above average.
ie, New guy, don't let the 'zionists' get you down.

Philwelch wrote:
EMTP wrote:You need a better hobby than hanging around hoping and praying for an argument with me. Maybe get a dog.

You need a better hobby than denouncing the Jews and justifying the regime that murdered Neda Agah-Sultan.

Oh yes, because sticking to actual factual arguments is just like sucking Ahmadinejads dick. And you also might want to remember that Israel != Jews.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
The Reaper wrote:It did seem that you were implying that Phillwrench was a golden retriever, rather than (completely out of context) saying that he should get one.

Your little theory might make some damn sense if it wasn't, you know, completely wrong. Because he said *explicitly* "maybe get a dog". So then, in a later post, saying "goldens are nice" is presumably a reference back to that.

By instead choosing to interpret it as a sudden out-of-the-blue claim that Philwelch *is* a dog, you're the one going completely out of context and being frakking stupid to boot.

Lol, my bad for skimming over the quibbling to the most recent ones. It was out of context for this page, and, for the sake of quibbling, I only looked at the last 2 or so comments on the previous page to catch up.

Also, the zionists are coming! the zionists are coming! 1 argument if by land, and 2 arguments if by sea!

And regarding languages : zomglivinglanguage. inafterebonics.

clintonius

Re: Lulz Ensue Worldwide as Ahmedinejad's [FAKE] Past Comes Out

Postby clintonius » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:34 am UTC

Also regarding language: shut the fuck up about it or go to the linguistics forum. Both of you.

~CM
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Return to “News & Articles”