Worker fired for atheism, not legally discrimination (Texas)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

psyck0

Worker fired for atheism, not legally discrimination (Texas)

Postby psyck0 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:49 am UTC

link
Amanda Donaldson is a former employee of Eldorado Chiropractic, a “Christ-oriented office,” in McKinney, Texas. Her claim is that upon her employer’s discovery that she is an atheist he became discontent and immediately displayed animosity toward having an atheist working within his business. Soon after this information came to light Amanda had to take time off from work due to breast cancer surgery and rehabilitation. She further claims that on her first day back to work she was fired and the main cause behind it was her lack of belief.

He also treated her like shit over the cancer, threatening to fire her because of the leave she needed to recover.

The worst part:
I have filed complaints with the EEOC, TWC, State Senator Shapiro, Rep Ken Paxton and spoken to several attorneys. They all say the same thing. State Labor Law is set up to protect small business. If there are under 15 employees there is nothing you can do about discrimination of any kind, racial, gender, age, religion or disability. I did however get the Senator’s office to submit a legislative suggestion to try to have the law changed to protect people who work for small businesses and I am supposed to schedule a time to go talk to them this summer. The senate is in session now so I have to wait.

Good ol' regressive Texas. Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

netcrusher88

Re: Worker fired for atheism, not legally discrimination (Texas)

Postby netcrusher88 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:54 am UTC

The exemption from discrimination for small businesses is standard, I believe. In Washington it's 8 employees. Harassment over taking medical leave might be a legal issue, though.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Mon May 18, 2009 5:54 am UTC

I just can't get my head around people who get all worked up over other peoples beliefs. Especially when they don't effect other people.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon May 18, 2009 6:09 am UTC

In Australia I think it's companies under 20 employees. No company should be exempt from unfair dismissal laws :x

There was a case like this recently here where a woman was put on leave without pay, but she couldn't do anything about it because they didn't fire her.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Mon May 18, 2009 6:09 am UTC

The title of this thread makes it sound as if atheists aren't protected from discrimination, rather then small businesses being able to discriminate.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Mon May 18, 2009 6:27 am UTC

Freakish wrote:The title of this thread makes it sound as if atheists aren't protected from discrimination, rather then small businesses being able to discriminate.

Yeah, I agree.

This isn't much of a big deal, It seems like a hiccup in the law. Hopefully they can get the senate to change the law since there shouldn't be any objections over it.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:31 am UTC

They aren't protected by law under at least some circumstances, ergo they aren't protected by law. Is "some" segregation OK?

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon May 18, 2009 6:38 am UTC

I wonder what political reaction would be if an athiest business fired a Christian due to religion.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon May 18, 2009 6:41 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:Hopefully they can get the senate to change the law since there shouldn't be any objections over it.

Except for "why do you hate small businesses so much?".

As I understand it, small businesses are allowed to hire and fire at will, because it's easy for one bad employee who's not quite bad enough to be fire-worthy to severely damage the company... so the big-business trick of waiting patiently for them to do something (anything) fireable isn't good enough. So they can fire for any (or even without) reason. Which, as a side-effect, makes anti-discrimination laws unenforceable.

I'm not sure yet whether I'm for or against the situation... there needs to be something to reduce the risk to a small company from hiring leeches who work just hard enough to not get fired.

[edit for ninja] psyck0: The problem with the subject line is that it appears to causally link "atheism" with "not legally discrimination"... when they are not causally linked in either case (in big business, it's just as protected as any other religious stance, and in small business, nothing is protected... which, I guess, still makes it just as protected as any other religious stance). The reason why it's not protected in this case is orthogonal to the fact that it's atheism.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon May 18, 2009 8:54 am UTC

phlip wrote:So they can fire for any (or even without) reason. Which, as a side-effect, makes anti-discrimination laws unenforceable.

I don't see why one follows from the other. If there is a clear enough case for discrimination it should be enforcable without damaging the small business itself. Like,"GTFO wetback! I should never have hired a Mexican, you people are scum!" If they fire on discriminatory grounds, they fire on discriminatory grounds. If they fire on no grounds at all that's different, but the wetback comment, or atheist harassment should be a straightforward case. Of course businesses will just begin to fire people on no grounds at all, I know, it's happened to me after compassionate leave of only three days. But discrimination can often be proven on a track record of activity, rather than the actual firing.

I don't see a conflict from a legislative or business point of view with allowing prosecutions for provable discriminatory practice, as long as the business is also allowed to fire people at will. It puts an onus on the employee to document behaviour to protect themselves, but that is a fair trade of to protect businesses from being sued every time they kick out a bad apple.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

MoghLiechty2

Postby MoghLiechty2 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:09 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:I wonder what political reaction would be if an athiest business fired a Christian due to religion.

Name me an "atheist business" that gets tangible business, social, or community value out of being "Atheism-Centered". (I'm sure there's some good examples that do exist, but I just want to see if this business not wanting a Christian really would create a huge political reaction).

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Mon May 18, 2009 10:13 am UTC

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Mon May 18, 2009 12:18 pm UTC

Hmm...

I feel sorry for this girl. She asked when she was hired if her not being a Christian was going to affect her job and was told no. If that’s true, then this company is dishonest and wouldn't ever get my business. (I don’t like doing business with people selling God though anyways, there's always something shady with god/business mixes)

But... (and that’s a big but...)

This is about the monetary power of a small business to be able to handle floating people they don't want around till they provide an 'ethical' reason to be fired.

This is about small businesses needing the ability to not be taken down by spurious charges. How easy would it be to tie up a small business's entire income with one discrimination lawsuit? All it takes is one claim and that business is out of business permanently.

I get the states current view point. It makes more monetary sense. Did she have a pension with this company? Did she have a retirement plan with this company? Had she put in lots of time?

I don’t see the benefit of forcing small businesses to follow the 'big guy rules' when they can't afford medical plans, or retirement benefits, or HR or PR departments.

*shrug*

I don’t see this as an atheist/christian issue. Flip flop them and you'll have public outrage one way or the other. This isn’t about what makes us angry. This is about keeping small businesses alive.

8) HUZZAH CAPITALISM! 8)
Last edited by slow2learn on Mon May 18, 2009 12:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon May 18, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

MoghLiechty2 wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:I wonder what political reaction would be if an athiest business fired a Christian due to religion.

Name me an "atheist business" that gets tangible business, social, or community value out of being "Atheism-Centered". (I'm sure there's some good examples that do exist, but I just want to see if this business not wanting a Christian really would create a huge political reaction).

Why would it need to draw value from being atheism-centered?

All you'd need is a business run by an atheist, that fires poor, hardworking christians with medical problems for believing in their dear and fluffy lord.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Mon May 18, 2009 12:33 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:Hmm...

I feel sorry for this girl. She asked when she was hired if her not being a Christian was going to affect her job and was told no. If that’s true, then this company is dishonest and wouldn't ever get my business. (I don’t like doing business with people selling God though anyways, there's always something shady with god/business mixes)

But... (and that’s a big but...)

This is about the monetary power of a small business to be able to handle floating people they don't want around till they provide an 'ethical' reason to be fired.

This is about small businesses needing the ability to not be taken down by spurious charges. How easy would it be to tie up a small business's entire income with one discrimination lawsuit? All it takes is one claim and that business is out of business permanently.

I get the states current view point. It makes more monetary sense. Did she have a pension with this company? Did she have a retirement plan with this company? Had she put in lots of time?

I don’t see the benefit of forcing small businesses to follow the 'big guy rules' when they can't afford medical plans, or retirement benefits, or HR or PR departments.

*shrug*

I don’t see this as an atheist/christian issue. Flip flop them and you'll have public outrage one way or the other. This isn’t about what makes us angry. This is about keeping small businesses alive.

8) HUZZAH CAPITALISM! 8)

BOO CAPITALISM

I don't see why anyone working for a small business should have any less rights as worker than anyone else - I think the point to remember here is that a person has been deprived of their income because of their beliefs. That's discrimination, it's a horrible, dickish, regressive thing to do and it shoudln't be allowed, small business or big. If someone is running a busniness in a discriminatory way, they shouldn't be being protected by the law. Sure they can't afford dental plans etc. (healthcare should be the state's job anyway) but that doesn't mean they should get carte blanche to be assholes to their employees.

It shouldn't matter how much time someone has been putting into the company, or if they have a pension, you don't get to fire people for their beliefs end of story.

If an emlployer has a "bad egg" in their company, then they clearly have a good reason to fire them, as much as anyone else would and I don't think laws preventing discrimination in dismissal would prevent this. If a worker is working hard and putting the hours in, then they have as much right to be working as anyone else, regardless of beliefs. Why should small businesses have the power to arbitrarily fire people? In what way is that any better than big busninesses arbitrarily firing people? This is exactly the reason why unions were set up, to stop this kind of thing happening.

Also, I think in America, you'd get a faaar greater public outrage if it was a christian being discriminated against by atheists.

[/rant]
The first one to fall asleep when the revolution comes.
Cheese wrote:We should never talk ever again. Ever.

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Mon May 18, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

An Amphibious Royalty wrote:I think the point to remember here is that a person has been deprived of their income because of their beliefs. That's discrimination, it's a horrible, dickish, regressive thing to do and it shoudln't be allowed, small business or big.

I want to clarify and declare that I'm not 'pro-horrible, dickish, regressive' things.

I'm just certain that providing the power to take out good small businesses with mere claims of dickery does more harm than leaving the dickish ones in place.

Also, I think in America, you'd get a faaar greater public outrage if it was a christian being discriminated against by atheists.

And since when do we justify the right and the wrong by % public outcry?

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Mon May 18, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

I wasn't suggesting that % of public outcry defined right/wrong, just that in America, atheists are generally seen (from what I have been told/have seen)as less "American" than Christians or even agniostics.

And yeah, sure, there may be some frivelous lawsuts, but I dount they will be that common. Also, I don't think the possibility of that happening is worse than businesses being allowed, protected even, to discriminate against their workers.
The first one to fall asleep when the revolution comes.
Cheese wrote:We should never talk ever again. Ever.

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Mon May 18, 2009 1:06 pm UTC

King of Frogs wrote:I wasn't suggesting that % of public outcry defined right/wrong, just that in America, atheists are generally seen (from what I have been told/have seen)as less "American" than Christians or even agniostics.

Well, I agree with you there. :)

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon May 18, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:

Uh, that's kind of exactly the point. There's like, no % public outcry over this particular instance, and that's troubling. There'd be outcry the other way around, and the only problem with it is that it would be hypocritical, not that it exists.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Mon May 18, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
slow2learn wrote:

Uh, that's kind of exactly the point. There's like, no % public outcry over this particular instance, and that's troubling. There'd be outcry the other way around, and the only problem with it is that it would be hypocritical, not that it exists.

If your goal is to create more public outcry... then. I have nothing to say to you except... good luck with those angry mobs. We all know angry mobs get things done the right way. Angry christians certainly have proven their point all across the nation...

If your goal is to establish the 'dickery' of this company, that's been amply done by people more qualified than you (aka Amanda)

If your goal is to create a place where discrimination can be punished w/o harming healthy businesses, then I suggest we look into a way to punish business in ways that don't tie up so much resources as a claim of discrimination and legal shit would.

I dont see the real problem in the business, aka It's no surprise that there are 'horrible, dickish regressive' companies out there. The real problem is that the govt has zero control over small business discrimination practices that dont also give the competition the ability to shut down other businesses 'no questions asked.'

Anyone got suggestions that clear both of these problems?

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon May 18, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

If your goal is to create more public outcry... then. I have nothing to say to you except... good luck with those angry mobs. We all know angry mobs get things done the right way.

Umm...has it escaped you that we live in a democracy? And therefore, if you want to change anything, you have to make people care first?

Say what you will about angry mobs: they certainly know about the problem, and they aren't apathetic about it.

They/them

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Mon May 18, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
If your goal is to create more public outcry... then. I have nothing to say to you except... good luck with those angry mobs. We all know angry mobs get things done the right way.

Umm...has it escaped you that we live in a democracy? And therefore, if you want to change anything, you have to make people care first?

Say what you will about angry mobs: they certainly know about the problem, and they aren't apathetic about it.

I take no issues with democracy. I take issue with using emotion as a basis for decision making. I understand that that is how the majority of shit gets done in this country. I resent when emotion is used as the birth place of policy.

Again I repeat,

Anyone got suggestions that clear both of these problems?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon May 18, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

I take issue with "we need to protect small businesses in lieu of their employees' rights". As for "the two problems", of which I only see one:
The real problem is that the govt has zero control over small business discrimination practices that dont also give the competition the ability to shut down other businesses 'no questions asked.'

How does "don't harass the sick employee" lead to "competing businesses can drive you to bankruptcy"? (apologies if I misread your sentence; it was ambiguously worded)
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Mon May 18, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:How does "don't harass the sick employee" lead to "competing businesses can drive you to bankruptcy"? (apologies if I misread your sentence; it was ambiguously worded)

I don't consider myself an innovative person. Nor am I very good with English. :)

The two issues that need handling are (1) preventing discrimination and (2) not giving big businesses the strong hand over small business when it comes to the legal department.

In order to 'prove yourself innocent' in court you're gonna need to pay plenty of legal fees. Small businesses dont have the pockets to take on anyone accusing them of discrimination. This isn't a walk in the park through the judicial system. We are talking large legal fees, months of reviews and trials...

If prolonged they'll be forced to close up shop, independent of the truthfulness of the discrimination accusation.

It gives big business the strong arm.. They have the pocket books to discriminate, and pay the legal fees and still keep a successful business. Small businesses will wilt at the mention of discrimination if we extend the same legal standards to them as big business.

If you wanna blame anyone, start blaming the judicial system's inability to clear someones name w/o first charging them an arm and a leg.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Mon May 18, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:In order to 'prove yourself innocent' in court you're gonna need to pay plenty of legal fees. Small businesses dont have the pockets to take on anyone accusing them of discrimination. This isn't a walk in the park through the judicial system. We are talking large legal fees, months of reviews and trials...

Um, you realize that the person bringing up a discrimination suit also has to pay legal fees, right?

Also, you seem to be implying that large businesses will somehow use this as leverage for anticompetitive practices. I'm not sure how you think that is even possible in this situation.

Also:
Small businesses will wilt at the mention of discrimination if we extend the same legal standards to them as big business.

THIS IS EXACTLY THE POINT. If small businesses have to work under the threat of legal action from discrimination, that gives them a pretty strong incentive not to discriminate. It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Mon May 18, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

Will wrote:
slow2learn wrote:In order to 'prove yourself innocent' in court you're gonna need to pay plenty of legal fees. Small businesses dont have the pockets to take on anyone accusing them of discrimination. This isn't a walk in the park through the judicial system. We are talking large legal fees, months of reviews and trials...

Um, you realize that the person bringing up a discrimination suit also has to pay legal fees, right?

Also, you seem to be implying that large businesses will somehow use this as leverage for anticompetitive practices. I'm not sure how you think that is even possible in this situation.

Yes. I'm certain that many businesses are cutthroat enough to supply funding to those 'victims' who've suffered 'discrimination' at the hands of a the competion.

I understand that hopefully wont be the majority of the issues brought to case. But, somehow, most states feel that small businesses need protection. I mean, small businesses definetly didn't default have protection when things first started out. I was under the impression that these 'free zones' for small businesses was a recent thing in legislation. As in... they need this protection in order to remain lively. Aka too many people abuse the legal system with complaints that would choke out small businesses that we need to make a loop hole for them.

Small businesses will wilt at the mention of discrimination if we extend the same legal standards to them as big business.

THIS IS EXACTLY THE POINT. If small businesses have to work under the threat of legal action from discrimination, that gives them a pretty strong incentive not to discriminate. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Its a bug when the businesses main concern isn't making money, but making certain that in no way shape or form they annoy their employees, who have the power to bring them to the ground with one lawsuit.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon May 18, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Yes. I'm certain that many businesses are cutthroat enough to supply funding to those 'victims' who've suffered 'discrimination' at the hands of a the competion.

I am pretty sure that bankrolling a third party's lawsuit against your competitor is illegal.
Its a bug when the businesses main concern isn't making money, but making certain that in no way shape or form they annoy their employees, who have the power to bring them to the ground with one lawsuit.

Oh noes, caring about business ethics is so *hard*, can't I get an exemption?

They/them

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Mon May 18, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Oh noes, caring about business ethics is so *hard*, can't I get an exemption?

Yup. Thats exactly what happened. Someone decided that small businesses shouldn't have to deal with the bullshit legal department that the rest of the world has to deal with.

Your mock tone isn't helping here.

Let me be clear. It was a dick move to fire Amanda. But the govt doesnt have any solution to the problem that wont just cause more problems. I expect people and businesses to create problems. I dont need my govt causing more.

Is anyone suggesting that the govt wanted small businesses to discriminate, so they passed laws allowing it?

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon May 18, 2009 3:23 pm UTC

Yup. Thats exactly what happened. Someone decided that small businesses shouldn't have to deal with the bullshit legal department that the rest of the world has to deal with.

And my point is that operating your business ethically should be part of the cost of doing business. If you can't manage it, that's your business's problem, and you should fail. At no point should "treat our employees unethically so we can afford to operate" become an option, much less a legally protected one.

After all, if someone were producing poisonous snackfoods from their small business, but removing the poison would be so expensive you guys, we wouldn't give them a poison exemption. We'd shut them the fuck down.

They/them

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Mon May 18, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

Belial wrote:After all, if someone were producing poisonous snackfoods from their small business, but removing the poison would be so expensive you guys, we wouldn't give them a poison exemption. We'd shut them the fuck down.

So why doesn't the govt here?

IMHO

-because in the political realm, your going to get more bonus points coming off pro-small business, than you are anti-discrimination.
-because no one cares about small business employees. They are risk takers. They have no where near the kind of rights a Unionized, Big Pockets, National business chain does.
-because it recongizes that something is beyond fucked up in our legal system where the accused are blocked from continuing status quo business practices.

I get your point Belial. I just disagree. I put small business importance over discrimination right now. You dont.

Thats cool. :)

Will

Postby Will » Mon May 18, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:-because in the political realm, your going to get more bonus points coming off pro-small business, than you are anti-discrimination.

Yes. And the entire point of this conversation is that this is bullshit

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon May 18, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

I get your point Belial. I just disagree. I put small business importance over discrimination right now. You dont.

To rephrase: You put the right of a business to make money over the rights of its employees to be treated ethically.

They/them

EnderSword

Postby EnderSword » Mon May 18, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

I also found the title of this very misleading, soundsl ike the issue is more the small company rules, which I happen to mostly agree with.

While a small business shouldn't be allowed to blatantly fire someone due to religious beliefs of something, it also shouldn't be held hostage by 1 employee with a lawyer.
The subtext of that article sounds more like the person was fired for not coming in to work ever. It's nice that large companies can support people on mat leave or out with cancer or some other issue that causes them to not be working, but a company with 10 people can't just pay an 11th not to show up.

I'd prefer to see this headline than 'Alexandra's Waffles files for Bankruptcy after hiring a Wiccan who won't work and has lawyer'

So, yeah it would be nice to see the rules enforced in a way that doesn't harm the business itself, but its hard to really think of a way to do that unless it was like waterboarding the owner or something.

I don't think everyone is just entitled to their own job, it should be based on performance and someone should be able to be replaced at any time if someone better comes along, this is particulaily true for small businesses who need everyone really working well. Firing someone for something as simple as a personality conflict seems ok to me.
I think on some size level if you want an all christian or all muslim company or something, it should be allowed until some certain size.

Protection of beliefs, on some level, should extend to protection of people's right to associate with people of their own beliefs and in their own comfort zone.

There's a ton of restuarants, small stroes etc... run by families or people of only one religion or origin, and a very large number of those aren't white protestant. It could be potentially devastating to make them all potential legal targets, and I think would be in violation of their rights to assume control of their businesses in that way.

I am pretty sure that bankrolling a third party's lawsuit against your competitor is illegal.

Why would this be illegal?
WWSD?*
*what would Sheldon do?

Will

Postby Will » Mon May 18, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

Right, she was fired for not coming to work. While she was recovering from major surgery.

What a lazy twat, right? Can't even be arsed showing up to work while she's being put under the knife for a life-threatening condition. I mean, if I had cancer I would have shown up to work all the same, you know, had the surgery on my lunch break or something.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon May 18, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

EnderSword wrote:Why would this be illegal?

Conflict of interest, for one. But mostly, I'm basing my supposition on the idea that, if this were even vaguely legal, it would happen a lot more often.

They/them

slow2learn

Postby slow2learn » Mon May 18, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

Belial wrote:

To rephrase: You put the right of a business to make money over the rights of its employees to be treated ethically.

Yes, I'll agree with that rephrasing.

Also, i'd like to point out that as soon as someone figures out a way to get both of us happy... I'm on the boat. :)

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon May 18, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:I'm on the boat. :)

You most certainly are not. You may have your swim trunks and your flippie-floppies, but it doesn't change the fact that you're just at Kinko's straight flippin' copies.

Enjoy that, while I'm over here bustin' five knots, wind whippin' at my coat.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon May 18, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:Yes, I'll agree with that rephrasing.

Sucks to be anyone who can't afford to switch jobs to escape the small businesses, amirite?

Also, i'd like to point out that as soon as someone figures out a way to get both of us happy... I'm on the boat. :)

That....doesn't mean anything. "I'm all for protecting the rights of workers, as long as it doesn't cost anything!"

They/them

Will

Postby Will » Mon May 18, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

slow2learn wrote:Also, i'd like to point out that as soon as someone figures out a way to get both of us happy... I'm on the boat. :)

In other words, you want a perfect solution. Yeah, good luck with that.

In the meantime, those of us that live and work in the real world would rather these laws error on the side of protecting workers and forcing employers to, *gasp* act ethically.

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

Will wrote:In other words, you want a perfect solution. Yeah, good luck with that.

In the meantime, those of us that live and work in the real world would rather these laws error on the side of protecting workers and forcing employers to, *gasp* act ethically.

I wholeheartedly support this. As the old saying goes, 'lead by example', from the president/queen on down.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Return to “News & Articles”