Senator John Cornyn's "Big John" ad

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Senator John Cornyn's "Big John" ad

Postby Lumpy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:53 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vcB7uCqdFk

It is strange and surreal, something you would only expect as a fake commercial lampooning the actual candidate, rather than being used by the candidate himself. Oddly, the Democratic Senatorial Congressional Committee considered it so bad they thought putting the YouTube video on their website would help their cause.

FOX's King of the Hill has been trying to convince me that Texas really isn't like this ever since the start of the series. Maybe they really do dress like that. Right?

0xDEADBEEF

Re: Senator John Cornyn's "Big John" ad

Postby 0xDEADBEEF » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:44 am UTC

The problem is, that when you get out of the "big cities," Texans really are like that.

Believe it or not, a lot of Texans will vote for that idiot because of that ad.

The sad part is, I used to be a Republican until people that Cornyn and Bush took over the G.O.P. I still favor balanced budgets and limited government, but not a naively simple view of the world, nor having Christianity crammed down my throat.

Texas' oil business has still never recovered from the oil "crash" of 1986. There's still oil under the ground here. But are Cornyn and Hutchison doing anything to help the Texas oilfield business? Nope. They're way too busy drumming up the Alaskan oilfield business. I'm not really that opposed to drilling for oil in Alaska, but they need to get their own damn Senators! :x

frezik

Postby frezik » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:58 am UTC

0xDEADBEEF wrote:Texas' oil business has still never recovered from the oil "crash" of 1986. There's still oil under the ground here. But are Cornyn and Hutchison doing anything to help the Texas oilfield business? Nope. They're way too busy drumming up the Alaskan oilfield business. I'm not really that opposed to drilling for oil in Alaska, but they need to get their own damn Senators! :x

You mean this guy? I know he talked about tubes, but I don't think he planned on putting oil down them.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Al Creed

Postby Al Creed » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:21 am UTC

This campaign ad is visual evidence of why the rest of the world hates America.

Woxor

Postby Woxor » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:50 am UTC

MUST

VOTE

BIG

JOHN

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:57 am UTC

So Britain, you know that Declaration of Independence thing we sent you? Yeah, about that. Would you believe that it was just a huge practical joke us colonies played on you? So yeah, if you could just come and take us back over...

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:03 am UTC

In Texas, we ride hosses and wear cowboy hats and watch windmills turn and bully little states somehow. We do the Lord's work, because, y'know, Kansas is slacking on that front and there are no atheists in Texas. No sir.

/sarcasm

*headdesk*
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:33 am UTC

Sartorius wrote:In Texas, we ride hosses and wear cowboy hats and watch windmills turn and bully little states somehow. We do the Lord's work, because, y'know, Kansas is slacking on that front and there are no atheists in Texas. No sir.

/sarcasm

*headdesk*

This is why we allow Oklahoma and Arkansas to exist. Stay the hell out of Missouri you freaks!

But hey, I won out my first bracket down in Texas. You may be bigger, but that just makes your balls easier to hit. Seriously, Handball (the not team kind) seems to have been designed to make as many blue ball jokes as possible.

But minus the Texans Texas is a pretty nice looking place, though there may be some bias as to the 70 and sunny versus the 30 and freezing that it was back home.

Semidi

Postby Semidi » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:34 am UTC

Yet another reason to feel embarrassed when I say that I'm from Texas. Thanks Big John!
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

Green9090

Postby Green9090 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:37 am UTC

I can't believe this ad is serious. How could anybody in a managerial position look at that and say "yeah, that's reasonably close to what we were going for. Let's put it on TV."? Were they just reading out of a book of Texas stereotypes?
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

Better than his opponent's ad..

http://www.thedailytube.com/video/11005 ... or-big-jew
(starts around 2:55)
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

Indon

Postby Indon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Woxor wrote:MUST

VOTE

BIG

BAD

JOHN

Fixed.

That video was horrible.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

FiddleMath

Postby FiddleMath » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

That's a wonderfully-produced, nicely-balanced satire. He's getting votes through clever self-deprecation. It's really quite clever!

... sigh.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

Texan newspaper articles brought up when the keywords "Big Bad" and "john cornyn" in quotation marks are entered suggest to me that he's at least somewhat serious.

Indon

Postby Indon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

Lumpy wrote:Texan newspaper articles brought up when the keywords "Big Bad" and "john cornyn" in quotation marks are entered suggest to me that he's at least somewhat serious.

Or at least, his ad campaign is.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

Never mind the fact that he was born in the 4th largest city in the country, and lived in big cities his entire life, He's a cowboy!

The sad part of all this is that there really are alot of people out there who will buy into the whole "Cowboy doing the lords work for Texas in D.C." message. Even Texans who live their whole lives in major cities are constantly bombarded with images like this, selling everything from pickup trucks to ice cream. So, even if windmills and horses arn't the first thoughts that come these people's minds when they think of home, home is what comes to mind when they see these images.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Texas, the way most southerners claim to love america, but the fact that this kind of thing works just makes me ashamed for the state.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

0xDEADBEEF

Postby 0xDEADBEEF » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

As a fellow proud Texan, I love your avatar, Gonzo!

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

Thank you, it is one of my favorite symbols of Texas. I've actually got a full size flag like it hanging over the couch in my living room.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Herman

Postby Herman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:21 am UTC

Wow. This guy's got my vote, and I live in New Jersey.

Return to “News & Articles”