Bus Driver Refuses to Allow Goth "Freaks" on Bus

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Princess Marzipan

Bus Driver Refuses to Allow Goth "Freaks" on Bus

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Article.

Leaving my thoughts absent for discussion's sake for now - I'm more interested in YOUR thoughts. *points at you. Yes. You.*
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

JayDee

Re: Bus Driver Refuses to Allow Goth "Freaks" on Bus

Postby JayDee » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:54 am UTC

Me? I find it pretty funny. Doesn't seem like a real big deal, it's a discriminatory bus driver that something should probably be done about. I get the impression that these two people aren't alone in being treated like this by the driver, but they do probably make the best news.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:00 am UTC

I'm feeling a cross between amusement and disgust, mostly at the girl for letting herself go around on a leash.

At the bus driver himself, well obviously his actions are disgusting and intolerant but neither are they really surprising, there are so many people like that in the world that for me to feel too strongly about this incident seems kind of pointless. To be honest, my reactions might have been similar (not physical reactions, but in my head). I have no problem with goths and even have some friends that are goths but I'd be repulsed at someone who let themselves be taken around on a leash. And at someone who would be willing to do that to somebody else.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:01 am UTC

My thoughts are hopefully the bus driver is fired at the very least. (And why he hasn't been already if there's already been problems like this before from him).

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:57 am UTC

I think we can all agree that the driver probably went a bit too far. But I'm in general agreement with the "What the hell?" attitude towards someone who thinks it the right thing to do to to be walked around on a leash and call that love. That doesn't strike me as a particularly healthy relationship.

But I am glad that they went far towards breaking the stereotype of goths by informing the bus driver that he is a "fascist pig". _That_ should help.

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:59 am UTC

The driver was definitely out of line in calling them freaks. He could have refused to let them on using the "no pets" rule. If she's going to call herself a pet, she shouldn't be allowed on buses or in stores or anywhere pets aren't allowed...*

* sarcasm
Last edited by mandalynn on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:00 am UTC

Cabhan wrote:But I am glad that they went far towards breaking the stereotype of goths by informing the bus driver that he is a "fascist pig". _That_ should help.
Yeah, that couldn't've been more cliched.

I must admit, I don't see anything wrong with the leash and relationship. A little odd, maybe.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:12 am UTC

Speaking as someone who married a corset-and-cape-wearing Goth who often walked around with a home-made leather lash and a spiked collar, I have to say... this happens quite a bit. Many of the bus drivers here have a friendly relationship with the freaks, since it's the people who look like freaks who never cause trouble. It's the douchebags in the regular clothes who cause a ruckus on the bus, but they're a hard group to identify because they look like normal people.

Also, some of my friends do the leash thing now and then, and they do it for a lot of reasons, but the main one? Because it bugs normal people.

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:22 am UTC

Hmm...sticking by my libertarian guns (HA!) on this one. Even though it weirds me out a bit, they're within their rights to go around like that, and they're only bothering closed-minded bus drivers.

I wonder what I_D has to say on the subject.
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:24 am UTC

NightStar wrote:I wonder what I_D has to say on the subject.

"Only a leash???"

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:33 am UTC

mandalynn wrote:The driver was definitely out of line in calling them freaks. He could have refused to let them on using the "no pets" rule. If she's going to call herself a pet, she shouldn't be allowed on buses or in stores or anywhere pets aren't allowed...

She's probably house-trained and not likely to hump anyone's leg, so Ima go ahead and say that's a load of crap.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:44 am UTC

mandalynn wrote:The driver was definitely out of line in calling them freaks. He could have refused to let them on using the "no pets" rule. If she's going to call herself a pet, she shouldn't be allowed on buses or in stores or anywhere pets aren't allowed...

Only if she tried to claim she didn't have to pay to ride, which I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned in the article.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:02 am UTC

"It is definitely discrimination, almost like a hate crime," 19-year-old Miss Maltby said yesterday.

I can't make a post that won't make me look like a total douchebag after that. I tried, it just wouldn't come out.

take that for what you will.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:04 am UTC

I thought discriminating against a person for their chosen lifestyle was a hate-crime. Like if he'd refused to let a man come on the bus because he'd seen him kiss another man at the bus stop. Yeah, it's not much of one, but the quote is "almost like a hate-crime" which is a pretty fair description. It's not quite a hate-crime, but it's going along those same lines.

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:48 am UTC

Hawknc and Bakemaster, allow me to clarify.
I simply meant the bus driver probably could have gotten away with telling her she couldn't ride the bus because she is a pet. Calling them freaks should get him fired.
I most certainly do not think that wearing a leash makes her any less human. I'm sorry the sarcasm didn't really come through in previous post.

Bluecold

Postby Bluecold » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:53 am UTC

Who would like to sit next to a gothic with his girfriend on a leash in the bus?
Im pretty sure everyone in the bus agreed with the bus driver.
Gothics are annoying, without gothics, the world would be a nicer place.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:02 am UTC

Bluecold wrote:Who would like to sit next to a gothic with his girfriend on a leash in the bus?

Most buses I get on have seats that seat only two people.

I'm pretty sure that generalising about what people think without having any idea who they are is idiocy.

Bigoted twerps who are incapable of correctly using commas are annoying. Without them the world would be a nicer place.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Bluecold

Postby Bluecold » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:13 am UTC

Am I bigoted for saying it makes me sad when I see a face like that?
If somebody looks like that, I'm pretty sure I really don't want to know that person.
By dressing like a gothic, they willingly outcast theirselves from the regular society in a vain attempt to be unique in which they utterly fail because all gothics look alike.

PS. @ jestingrabbit
1/3 of your post consists of nagging about buses where you live and another third is whining about incorrect comma use. Think about it.

Maurog

Postby Maurog » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:44 am UTC

Oh, you can feel any way you like about anything. As long as you don't infringe their rights by disallowing them a public service. So you don't like how people dress, that's your problem. For example, I am offended by religion, but if I were a bus driver, I would definitely not refuse someone on my bus just because they wear religious symbols. Simple work ethics, c'mon.

PS: By the way, that face saddens me as well, but the people in the original article look awesome.
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

tiny

Postby tiny » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

I like goths. They are interesting. And I admire the artistic/philosophical approach some of them take when it comes to their lifestyle. They put lots of thought, time and money in there.
Everything I want to say about the busdriver has already been said.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

[Douchebaggery]
Is it wrong for me to just not care? Oh well. When you ask some of the more hardcore goth folk why they do it, they will freely admit it's to bother normal people. When it lashes back at them, and they get denied basically normal treatment, why oh why do they bitch? They literally are asking to not be treated like normal people, since that is what they seem to despise.
[/douchebaggery]

Edit: douchebaggery aside, bus driver acted like a prick anyway, but still. But Still.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

That's very similar to "She dressed to sexy, she wanted to be raped".

The goths I know wanted to be treated normally. Most of them ARE treated normally. They are nice, normal people, who happen to dress differently.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

Bluecold wrote:Image

Not really, I guess.

Bluecold wrote:If somebody looks like that, I'm pretty sure I really don't want to know that person.

Oh - well NOW you're definitely bigoted.

Bluecold wrote:By dressing like a gothic, they willingly outcast theirselves from the regular society in a vain attempt to be unique in which they utterly fail because all gothics look alike.

By using commas incorrectly, you willingly outcast yourself from the regular society of these forums by your vain lack of an attempt to correctly articulate yourself.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

First thoughts: That chick is pretty hot.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

That , M.J., is a perfect example of why you can't judge a book by its cover and I acknowledge it. And no, i would never ever ever say anyone deserved to be raped because she dressed sexy... I would, however, be likely to say "she may have deserved to be treated disrespectfully because she acted like a skank." I have zero problem with people being different, they just have to realize that if you do try to shock people, expect some people to be shocked. And you can't expect everyone to act how you want them to when they're shocked.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Maurog

Postby Maurog » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

I think they're a really cute couple. They look so adorable with the gothy clothes and the collar and the leash and all.
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

Maurog wrote:I think they're a really cute couple. They look so adorable with the gothy clothes and the collar and the leash and all.

Hell yeah. I think maybe the Bus driver is sad that he doesn't have a girl that looks really cute with him.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Sometimes the goth look really works, but on this girl? Meh. I'd go there, but i'd deny it up and down later.

Anyway, i'm pretty sure they were doing the leash thing in public specifically because they wanted something like this to happen.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:Anyway, i'm pretty sure they were doing the leash thing in public specifically because they wanted something like this to happen.

Oh? Have you met them, then?

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

I've met people like them, and it is based on that experience that i make that statement.

Bluecold

Postby Bluecold » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:
Bluecold wrote:Image

Not really, I guess.

Bluecold wrote:If somebody looks like that, I'm pretty sure I really don't want to know that person.

Oh - well NOW you're definitely bigoted.

Bluecold wrote:By dressing like a gothic, they willingly outcast theirselves from the regular society in a vain attempt to be unique in which they utterly fail because all gothics look alike.

By using commas incorrectly, you willingly outcast yourself from the regular society of these forums by your vain lack of an attempt to correctly articulate yourself.

Am I bigoted for saying I wouldn't want to know this person, because by getting to know him requires talking to him and therefore looking at him which makes me sad?

Another third of a post wasted on commanagging

Oh, the argument "girls shouldn't dress sexy if they don't want to get raped" is not comparable to "gothics act different because they want to be treated different" because said girls don't want to get raped, they just want to look nice. Nothing wrong with that.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

I am not getting involved in this discussion, except to say: "gothic" is an adjective. The word you want is "goth".
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

Bluecold wrote:Oh, the argument "girls shouldn't dress sexy if they don't want to get raped" is not comparable to "gothics act different because they want to be treated different" because said girls don't want to get raped, they just want to look nice. Nothing wrong with that.

It's QUITE comparable, because both cases assume that the individual is dressing a certain way because he or she is looking for a certain type of attention. In one case, the attention is a penis, in the other, scornful looks of disapproval from "normies." You don't know this couple's motivation for what they're doing, and you don't know them, so making personal judgments based solely on their appearance is prejudice and bigotry in its basest form.

You of course have every right to look, appraise, and determine you don't want to interact with them. But when you start saying "You can't do this because you're clearly just trying to be special," you are no longer exercising your own rights and are instead infringing upon theirs.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

This is certainly discrimination.

However, the couple sound incredibly lame. Also, they live on benefits and want to start a family, while she identifies herself as pet and claims she does nothing? I think there are some deeper issues that need to addressed before we go nuts over the civil liberties violation.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I think there are some deeper issues that need to addressed before we go nuts over the civil liberties violation.

There is so very much wrong with that sentence, and I don't (just) mean syntactically.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

I find it wierd how a person can look like a type of architecture.

Sarcasm aside, they do look like a decent couple. The Bus Driver is infringing (right word? Spelling even?) on their right to go to school, and thus should be dragged off for lethal injection.

More sarcasm aside, I'm a bit goth myself but only in the mind. If I had the ability to afford the clothing that guy is wearing (original pic, not the atrocity BlueCold posted) I would, but I can't. My darkness is easily expressed in other ways.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

Bluecold wrote:Who would like to sit next to a gothic with his girfriend on a leash in the bus?

Yeah, yeah. We get it. You're trolling.

Here's the thing: You can be as closed minded and bigoted in your own head as you please, but as soon as you're act in a manner that denies fair treatment to someone based on your views, you've broken the law.

But ... you already know this.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

If she wants to be treated like a pet, she shouldn't get angry when she is treated like a pet. Unless Mr. Graves (he HAD to have that changed, by the way) is blind and she is his seeing eye human, the bus operator was within the rules of his bus service to deny them service. He wouldn't have let someone bring their non-service dog on the bus, so why should he let some goth bring his girlpet on the bus? Otherwise, he would be anti-dog discriminatory.

Bluecold

Postby Bluecold » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:More sarcasm aside, I'm a bit goth myself but only in the mind. If I had the ability to afford the clothing that guy is wearing (original pic, not the atrocity BlueCold posted) I would, but I can't. My darkness is easily expressed in other ways.

You crucify little kittens?

@Nougatrocity
No it isn't. If you just read my post carefully, you can see I stated that girls who dress sexy not because of penis, but because they like to look nice.

@Azrael
I never said goths (thanks Belial for correcting me) shouldn't be treated fairly. I said I understand the bus driver for not wanting them on his bus.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

Can he get sued for that? I don't think it's up to him to decide who can and can't go on the bus.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Return to “News & Articles”