Male Contraceptives

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

marshlight

Male Contraceptives

Postby marshlight » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:24 pm UTC

Discussion has been had before about how cool this would be, so I thought people would want to be kept up to date:

"Contraception: Progress Brings Hope For New Methods For Men"

I personally think it's a fascinating idea, especially if it has less side effects of female BC. I know fertility is sort of a touchy subject with guys... but I feel like there is more to mess around with when stopping fertility in a female since we kind of take fertility a bit further than guys do. And if you don't have to alter as much, then there might be less problems. Not sure if that's selfish or not ("I have a cycle to mess up, so *you* take the Pill instead!") but at this moment of my month it makes a lot of sense.

Other ideas?
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

vondg

Re: Male Contraceptives

Postby vondg » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:35 pm UTC

The main problem I can see with male contraceptives is that it spreads out the onus of birth control. When the norm is either using a condom or having the woman on the pill the worst that can happen is that a girl either lies about being on the pill or forgets to take it in which case there are alternative solutions.

When it could be either the male or the female who is expected to provide some form of birth control that isn't obviously there (condom) men could lie and get a girl pregnant without her realizing it.

For responsible people it's a cool thing but I'm sure we'll get some horror stories.

paxundae

Postby paxundae » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:59 pm UTC

You're still going to want condoms or barriers for disease control. This would be most useful (like the current pill) for committed couples.

jtniehof

Postby jtniehof » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

vondg wrote:The main problem I can see with male contraceptives is that it spreads out the onus of birth control. When the norm is either using a condom or having the woman on the pill the worst that can happen is that a girl either lies about being on the pill or forgets to take it in which case there are alternative solutions.

When it could be either the male or the female who is expected to provide some form of birth control that isn't obviously there (condom) men could lie and get a girl pregnant without her realizing it.

So women lying isn't a problem, but men lying is?

Colour me woo-hoo on this. It means I can take care of myself, and it means in a committed relationship we have two-factor protection. Hell yes.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

I'd take a male birth-control pill in a heartbeat. One can never be too careful, and when it comes to something that important I don't necessarily want to take someone else's word for it.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

jtniehof wrote:Colour me woo-hoo on this. It means I can take care of myself, and it means in a committed relationship we have two-factor protection. Hell yes.

That's what I'm talking about!

vondg wrote:When it could be either the male or the female who is expected to provide some form of birth control that isn't obviously there (condom) men could lie and get a girl pregnant without her realizing it.

If someone can't be honest with their partner about whether they're going to be knocking / be knocked up that night or not then, um, they really shouldn't be having sex. I have never understood the motivation behind lying to a partner about that.

Also, like with current BC the most responsible thing to do would be to double up on things anyway, so there probably should be a condom on. I have no idea how much that obstructs pleasure for guys, as I'm not one, but it doesn't seem to make a difference on the female end. It's just one of those little necessities.

Now I'm kind of depressed because I realized that there are probably a lot more irresponsible births than there should be, because of this lying business or what have you. Which means the responsible people are not procreating as significantly. Unfortunate.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:39 pm UTC

I have no idea how much that obstructs pleasure for guys, as I'm not one

Significantly, but not completely, or even mostly.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

vondg wrote:The main problem I can see with male contraceptives is that it spreads out the onus of birth control. When the norm is either using a condom or having the woman on the pill the worst that can happen is that a girl either lies about being on the pill or forgets to take it in which case there are alternative solutions.

For responsible people it's a cool thing but I'm sure we'll get some horror stories.
I don't see why the man lying is any worse than the woman lying; in fact, it's better- If the woman lies, the man can't can't force her to get an abortion, whereas if the man lies, the woman can get an abortion.

But, in either event, both parties being on the pill means you have a redundant backup (always a good thing) and sabotage is far harder.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

I mean, I don't see this as getting much popularity in the find-random-girl --> have-sex-with-random-girl --> never-again-speak-to-random-girl crowd, but for people who are in a trustworthy relationship (and obviously no diseases), this could eliminate the pleasure-inhibition of condoms.

Apparently the Pill doesn't have many side effects (and the one that do exist are rare), but it will be interesting to see what side effects this would have. Because if none (or extraordinarily non-serious), I might imagine it being somewhat popular. And I agree with marshlight, in that tampering with fertility in women may well be more serious and prone to problems than with guys.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:36 pm UTC

I don't see this as getting much popularity in the find-random-girl --> have-sex-with-random-girl --> never-again-speak-to-random-girl crowd
Bwuh? Wouldn't they be the ones with the most to lose by getting someone pregnant? Unless I'm mistaken, they're the ones that are more likely to get vasectomies.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Pseudomammal
Honored just to be nominated

Postby Pseudomammal » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:04 pm UTC

You know who would benefit the most from a cheap, reliable, always-active, non-permanent contraceptive for men? Anyone and everyone who ever has straight sex specifically for fun. Man am I tired of this whole sex-and-procreation-being-inescapably-linked thing. It's barbaric is what it is. Given all our technical sophistication and apparently strong motivation, modern BC options are surprisingly terrible.

By which I mean woohoo, about damn time, give these folks more funding!
Stop him! He's supposed to die!

vondg

Postby vondg » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:11 pm UTC

I was just pointing out a potential problem with more commonplace male contraceptives besides condoms. I like that sane couples will be given more options, I'm just being pessimistic.

In my completely baseless opinion, I think that guys are a lot more likely to lie about being on the pill and impregnating an unsuspecting girl than there are women who would lie about being on the pill to trap a man into knocking them up. More likely, not necessarily "better".

Also I don't think women consider getting an abortion to be as routine an operation as some posters have made it sound.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:41 pm UTC

As has been said before, condoms should still be used for anything where you don't absolutely trust your partner not to have diseases. I think this would be great because now if either party likes to go out and have random sex, they can both be confident that they're protected from pregnancy in case something happens (condom breaks, too drunk/stupid to use one etc). It's also great for guys whose girlfriends have trouble taking hormones, and guys who think that any girl they're dating is a bitch who'll secretly stop taking her pill to get pregnant and force her man to marry her. (Note- cattle prods also have appropriate uses in cases like these.)
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:43 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:
I don't see this as getting much popularity in the find-random-girl --> have-sex-with-random-girl --> never-again-speak-to-random-girl crowd
Bwuh? Wouldn't they be the ones with the most to lose by getting someone pregnant? Unless I'm mistaken, they're the ones that are more likely to get vasectomies.

You're starting with the assumption that this breed of fellow does things like take her to his place instead of hers, gives her a last name, gives her a real first name, stays in the same clubs long enough to be tracked down, stays around as soon as he hears "I'm pregnant", and so on.

It's easy to outrun a pregnancy if she has no idea who you are.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:52 am UTC

I am buying this once it's on the market, without a doubt, regardless of how often or with whom I have sex. Hell, I think this should be compulsory for all high school boys once they reach 15, provided there's no significant side effects.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

One of my bio major friends brought up an interesting point when I showed them this - the testes produces sperm AND testosterone, which are perhaps linked in synthesis (I'm not really sure what he said). So he was worried that if one stops producing sperm, the testosterone level would also go down. I believe the quote was "they can't judge how feminine a rabbit is becoming, so until human tests are done I don't believe it will work." I had been wondering why this hasn't been made before - some weird Males Must Impregnate! idea that kept funding from researchers, or something - but maybe it *is* more difficult to impermanently sterilize males than females. Anyone want to back this up? Seems odd to me but what do I know, I'm not a bio major.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:35 pm UTC

Well, you can't judge how feminine a rabbit is becoming, but you can test its testosterone levels.

And yeah, I imagine it's a bit harder to keep the testes from creating their fubillions of sperm that they create round the clock on no reliable cycle, than it is to convince the ovaries not to drop a single egg that they drop once a month on a complex triggering system.

They/them

johnnynoknucklesIV

Postby johnnynoknucklesIV » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:01 pm UTC

Pseudomammal wrote:You know who would benefit the most from a cheap, reliable, always-active, non-permanent contraceptive for men? Anyone and everyone who ever has straight sex specifically for fun. Man am I tired of this whole sex-and-procreation-being-inescapably-linked thing. It's barbaric is what it is. Given all our technical sophistication and apparently strong motivation, modern BC options are surprisingly terrible.

It's biological is what it is, much like how breathing and eating have those nasty side effects of gaining oxygen and nourishment.

While this opens up more options for responsible couples, I personally long for the days when the decision to have sex with someone had some semblance of importance.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:16 pm UTC

Still does. As much importance as you lend it.

They/them

Pseudomammal
Honored just to be nominated

Postby Pseudomammal » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

johnnynoknucklesIV wrote:It's biological is what it is, much like how breathing and eating have those nasty side effects of gaining oxygen and nourishment.

While this opens up more options for responsible couples, I personally long for the days when the decision to have sex with someone had some semblance of importance.

Getting a minor cut and subsequently dying of infection is biological, but we generally don't put up with it anymore.

As long as people have recognizably human emotions, sex will continue to have importance and consequences. We don't need the looming threat of bringing new people into the world before we can care for them to make it special. Intimacy doesn't come exclusively from risk.
Stop him! He's supposed to die!

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:32 am UTC

johnnynoknucklesIV wrote:

Yep. Because there were no unwanted pregnancies back then either.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:34 am UTC

johnnynoknucklesIV wrote:
Pseudomammal wrote:You know who would benefit the most from a cheap, reliable, always-active, non-permanent contraceptive for men? Anyone and everyone who ever has straight sex specifically for fun. Man am I tired of this whole sex-and-procreation-being-inescapably-linked thing. It's barbaric is what it is. Given all our technical sophistication and apparently strong motivation, modern BC options are surprisingly terrible.

It's biological is what it is, much like how breathing and eating have those nasty side effects of gaining oxygen and nourishment.

Sex for human beings, as for many other animals, often carries far more importance than the mere biological one. Humans aren't the only ones that use it, in addition to procreation, for a wide variety of social and emotional reasons. Removing the risk of the biological consequences of having sex for nonreproductive motives is, in my opinion, a Good Thing.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:28 am UTC

Alisto wrote:I'd take a male birth-control pill in a heartbeat. One can never be too careful, and when it comes to something that important I don't necessarily want to take someone else's word for it.

QFT
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:15 am UTC

I'm all in support. Both partners should be responsible for birth control, and if you're not smart enough to take it correctly, or to be honest and mature about your birth control usage during sex, you shouldn't be fucking. That's my two-cents and I'm sticking to it.

Awesomesauce. Horror stories only surround the dumb and unworthy--if a guy or girl is like "Oh me yarm BIRTHCONTROL WE FUCKED UP WAH" I say it's their fault. If you can't trust your partner, who CAN you trust, you pathetic, lying guttersnipe? If birth control was used and there was still an "oops, womb booger" factor, there's alwas EC and herbal abortion. I'd never make a person have a clinical abortion, though I know it's the quickest way. :< God, why don't we fix that technology?

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:35 am UTC

By which I mean woohoo, about damn time, give these folks more funding!

QFT :D
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:22 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:"womb booger"

It has now become one of my goals in life to use that. It could be very endearing, no? "Oy, womb booger, stop bruising my ribs!" I like.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

Khonsu wrote:...if you're not smart enough to take it correctly, or to be honest and mature about your birth control usage during sex, you shouldn't be fucking. That's my two-cents and I'm sticking to it.

Too bad these are the ones that keep breeding. :roll:

"If stupidity were a race, I would embrace their genocide."
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Well, you can't judge how feminine a rabbit is becoming, but you can test its testosterone levels.

Do rabbits have testosterone? Is it (or an equivalent hormone) produced by the same organ which produces sperm?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

I would be pretty surprised if they didn't, since, as I understand it, most other mammals have that configuration.

Thus why castrating horses and dogs makes them more docile.

They/them

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:48 pm UTC

Good point. My bunny stopped peeing on everything when he lost his junk.

He still peed on dskippy the other night, though. :(
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Torwegia

Postby Torwegia » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:12 pm UTC

I agree with Vaniver that redundant backup is a good thing. Life is less stressful the more backups you have

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

Unprotected sex by taking a pill? Where do I sign?
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Return to “News & Articles”