Kremlin Hates HBO Chernobyl Mini-Series; Vows To Make Their Own

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Kremlin Hates HBO Chernobyl Mini-Series; Vows To Make Their Own

Postby The Great Hippo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 pm UTC

So, like -- there's almost certainly room for a conversation about how an American-produced television show (though, I'll quickly point out, with a cast that's overwhelmingly not American) has taken another country's tragedy and turned it into something to be consumed by the West. And if that's what the Kremlin was taking issue with, I'd find it hard to fault them.

But no, that's not what the Kremlin is saying:
AV Club wrote:Part of this crusade is a Russia-produced series from the country’s NTV channel. Directed by filmmaker Alexei Muradov, their project will focus not on the aftermath of the explosion, but instead on what Shepelin calls a “conspiracy theory” that inserts American spies into the narrative.

Of his story, Muradov says, “One theory holds that Americans had infiltrated the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and many historians do not deny that, on the day of the explosion, an agent of the enemy’s intelligence services was present at the station.” The heroes, then, will not be the scientists, soldiers, and civilians who helped prevent a further spread of radiation, but rather the KGB officers trying to thwart these CIA operatives.
I find this legitimately amazing.

CorruptUser

Re: Kremlin Hates HBO Chernobyl Mini-Series; Vows To Make Their Own

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 am UTC

Many historians "do not deny" that because no one seriously claims that. Few historians have ever denied that Ceaser Augustus was actually a sentient potted plant, because no one ever claimed that.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:25 am UTC

Not that surprising really, pretty much classic propaganda and revisionist history. Just more evidence that we're in conflict with Russia again.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:15 am UTC

This story seems to be a descendant of an older story, how the CIA organized a gas line explosion in the Soviet Union through software tricks.

This older story has little evidence either. But intriguingly, its source is some mate of Reagan - the point of the story is "See, we actively won the cold war, we weren't just the guys in place when it ended."

This attitude meshes well with a certain brand of Russian nationalism, "The Soviet Union was stabbed in the back".

solune

Postby solune » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:07 pm UTC

I actually would like to see more high budget movies about the glorious parts of Russian history; biased toward the Russian point of view, but just believable enough to be watched by a western audience. That would change from the usual war movies which are recruiting advertisements for the american army.

The only movie that I know that looks like that is Enemy at the Gates, but it's a western production.
I'm given to understand that the reason why the Russian movie business is inexistant is that their government has hunted down every movie director for their tendencies to disagree with the powers that be.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:40 pm UTC

The Russians make loads of movies about Russian history? Including a lot about warfare. The largest box-office success in Russia was literally Stalingrad

Though if you really want non-American glorious war movies, China's the place. I bet you could start watching today, and die of old age before you've seen all Chinese WW2 movies.

Edit: I tried to find some list of Chinese war movies, but it's hopeless. The best I could find was a quote from 2013 "The state administrator approved 69 anti-Japanese television series for production last year and about 100 films." (AFAIK, "anti-Japanese" just means that the movie is about the war against the Japanese. It is not necessarily negative about the Japanese. Though usually they are)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:56 pm UTC

In fairness, the best Soviet-era films all came from the satellite states such as Poland...

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:58 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:The largest box-office success in Russia was literally Stalingrad

which is a brilliant movie, if you haven't seen it.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Return to “News & Articles”