New Airport Endangers Machu Picchu

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

New Airport Endangers Machu Picchu

Postby jewish_scientist » Mon May 20, 2019 12:22 am UTC

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019 ... ket-newtab

For the most part, the article is exactly what you would expect. I am not that it is a bad article or that this is not a significant news story, just that the situation (indigenous and local peoples suffering by shortsighted pursuit of the economic success of governments and international businesses) is one that has played out in this exact way many times before. The article does mention one really interesting thing at the end though that I thing holds the solution:

There is a “legitimate concern that Cusco’s travel infrastructure is at its limit,” says Mark Rice, the author of Making Machu Picchu: The Politics of Tourism in Twentieth-Century Peru. But the location of the new airport will do a “lot of damage to one of the key tourism offerings of Cusco, which is its scenic beauty”.

The problem is that Machu Picchu is “so singularly dominant for the Peruvian tourism offering”, he says. “The best way I can describe it is if people going to Britain only went to Stonehenge.”

It is never a good idea to base an economy on a single industry or to base an industry on a single product (citation). I think that a better move for Peru would be expanding its entertainment industry, especially music. Non-english songs have received a lot of success in America, so the language barrier is not as much a deterrent as it used to be. Many anime dubs still use the same openings as the original. Building venues for large performances can be a huge return on investment, diversifies the economy, and enhances local culture rather than destroy it.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Re: New Airport Endangers Machu Picchu

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon May 20, 2019 7:03 am UTC

THE PROBLEM: Cuzco's scenic beauty currently attracts more tourists than the infrastructure can accommodate; however, building more stuff for the tourists will damage the scenic beauty that tourists come to see.

THE SOLUTION: Cuzco should destroy its scenic beauty even more. Building more stuff (e.g., performance venues) will get rid of those pesky tourists who care about pretty scenery.

Did I get that right?

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon May 20, 2019 11:36 am UTC

Problem:
too many people depending on revenue from too many tourists.

Solution:

How about instead of an ugly airport they build a nice little Gothic folly or some kind of hacienda or something, and under it they have one end of a long tunnel leading out to the coast, and they use the material from the tunnel to build a causeway and put the airport at the end of that, with a maglev rail link to the inland site? Olantaytambo's only about 360 km from the coast at Chala. That's barely over seven times the length of the Channel Tunnel. I make that about 18.6 million cubic metres of stuff that'd need moving to make two train tunnels and a foot tunnel, enough for a 3.1 km runway on each side of a triangular platform ... 7.74 m deep. Oh. Well, if we leave out the middle of the triangle it can be over 30 metres deep, so we could build that in the sea. It's not like there are any marine ecosystems left to worry about, is it?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Mon May 20, 2019 1:28 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:THE PROBLEM: Cuzco's scenic beauty currently attracts more tourists than the infrastructure can accommodate; however, building more stuff for the tourists will damage the scenic beauty that tourists come to see.

THE SOLUTION: Cuzco should destroy its scenic beauty even more. Building more stuff (e.g., performance venues) will get rid of those pesky tourists who care about pretty scenery.

Did I get that right?

There are more cities in Peru than Cuzco.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon May 20, 2019 2:38 pm UTC

The “proper” profit-maximizing tactic for when increasing capacity is impractical is to raise the per-visitor price until demand shrinks to just above capacity—i.e. charge them so much money that it becomes seen as an elite thing to do.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon May 20, 2019 7:02 pm UTC

That assumes a unified actor, while tourism tends have somewhat diffuse beneficiaries. Machu Picchu itself might raise prices and reduce visits to maximize income. But for the rest of the tourism sector, that would be a pure loss of revenue (and jobs). And not evenly distributed either. The hit would be concentrated on the people that cater to budget tourists. Quite often, those are the people who could use the income most, and the main reason why you want a tourism sector in the first place.

Return to “News & Articles”