12-yo girls stab friend 19X to impress Slenderman (meme)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sje46

12-yo girls stab friend 19X to impress Slenderman (meme)

Postby sje46 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:36 am UTC

http://fox6now.com/2014/06/02/two-girls ... ll-friend/

This is...a surprising story. I'm not sure I've seen a case of someone taking an internet meme/internet folklore so seriously. The amount of delusion the human mind can experience is incredible--not only do the vast majority of people who follow slenderman and creepypasta understand its fake but these girls had planned this for *months* without coming to their senses.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Derek

Re: 12-yo girls stab friend 19X to impress Slenderman (meme)

Postby Derek » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:56 am UTC

I don't think they understand how slenderman works.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:46 am UTC

I'm really confused from reading the article, both because Fox writers are awful, and because they routinely switch between referring to 'Slender' as a moderator of Creepypasta (/r/creepypasta?), and an urban legend.

Were these girls convinced that Slenderman is real and needed a sacrifice? Or are they referring to a moderator of a website?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:09 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm really confused from reading the article, both because Fox writers are awful, and because they routinely switch between referring to 'Slender' as a moderator of Creepypasta (/r/creepypasta?), and an urban legend.

Were these girls convinced that Slenderman is real and needed a sacrifice? Or are they referring to a moderator of a website?

The writer(s) of the article appear to be under the impression that slenderman is a fictional character created/portrayed online by single person. Like Lonelygirl or something. The girls meanwhile appear to have believed that slenderman was some kind of cult that demanded killings (which is not true even in the fictional stories).

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:20 am UTC

Wow, that article is stunningly badly written. What a mess.

Also:
12-year-old Morgan Geyser, and 12-year-old Anissa Weier were charged as adults on Monday, June 2nd (...)
Each of the girls faces one count of attempted first degree intentional homicide as party to a crime — and each faces 60 years in prison.

I guess we're now not even pretending anymore that courts have anything to do with justice.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

aoeu

Postby aoeu » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:51 am UTC

Derek wrote:I don't think they understand how slenderman works.

They probably understand it full well. There is little reason to think their story isn't made up for the sake of defense.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:29 am UTC

"Kids these days!", this according to the complaint.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:46 am UTC

I haven't read anything into the slenderman mythos outside of the Photoshop thread that spawned it on SA. Anyone got a link to a primer? All this "proxy" business has me confused.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:38 am UTC

Diadem wrote:Wow, that article is stunningly badly written. What a mess.

Also:
12-year-old Morgan Geyser, and 12-year-old Anissa Weier were charged as adults on Monday, June 2nd (...)
Each of the girls faces one count of attempted first degree intentional homicide as party to a crime — and each faces 60 years in prison.

I guess we're now not even pretending anymore that courts have anything to do with justice.

Cheer up. If we were fully in the thrall of internet mob justice, the courts would also be sending their parents to jail for 60 years for, I don't know, giving their children unrestricted access to the internet and kitchen knives.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:57 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm really confused from reading the article, both because Fox writers are awful, and because they routinely switch between referring to 'Slender' as a moderator of Creepypasta (/r/creepypasta?), and an urban legend.

No, they said that slenderman is the leader of creepypasta as in, he's the leader of all the various monsters and such. They are not referring to a moderator, because Slenderman ins't a moderator of a website, he is a fictional monster, and they wanted to become "proxies" of him. And they meant creepypasta.com most likely--I think if they were referring to /r/creepypasta they would have said "a community on reddit" instead.

I haven't read anything into the slenderman mythos outside of the Photoshop thread that spawned it on SA. Anyone got a link to a primer? All this "proxy" business has me confused.

It's pretty difficult to explain because there isn't a central controlling authority that defines the traits of slenderman. After that original SA thread there were numerous vlogs of popularity (marble hornets, tribetwelve, everymanhybrid etc) that contributed to slenderman, often deleting the tentacles, adding elements like teleportation, audio-visual fuck-up-ery, multiple universes, other monsters, etc. "Proxies" came from these to introduce drama to these youtube series--one of the characters would be acting against the will of the protagonist and instead working for slenderman to commit murders and such, because Slenderman himself can't murder.
So essentially becoming a proxy of slenderman is comparable to allowing yourself to be a vessel for satan. Which is understandable if Slenderman was really insistent on killing your family if you didn't...but that idea doesn't make much sense either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slender_Man
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:54 pm UTC

http://kotaku.com/girls-claim-slender-m ... 1585164160

The Kotaku article seems better written. Fox appears to be taking the accused testimony at face value.

Weier told police that Slender Man is the "leader" of Creepypasta, and in the hierarchy of that world, one must kill in order to show dedication. Weier said that Geyser told her they should become "proxies" of Slender Man — a paranormal figure known for his ability to create tendrils from his fingers and back — and kill their friend to prove themselves worthy of him. Weier said she was surprised by Geyser's suggestion, but also excited to prove skeptics wrong and show that Slender Man really did exist.

What I'm surprised about, is that the names of these 12-year olds have been released. Typically, juveniles aren't allowed to have their names released... especially pre-trial. Considering that their account of the myth of SlenderMan is so bad, I think they're just bad Liars. There is no hierarchy of monsters, there are only creepy stories.

Diadem wrote:Wow, that article is stunningly badly written. What a mess.

Also:

Worst case scenario. First degree murderers should face 60+ years in prison. Hopefully, the judge won't give the maximum sentence on 12-year old minors. Fortunately, juries are apparently kinder to juveniles. But seriously, a 12-year old getting sent to real court is damn near unprecedented. I've never heard of a suspect so young.

Apparently, its a bit different in other states. I'm seeing a few google hits to Florida and Pennsylvania where 11 and 12-year olds sentenced as adults.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:11 pm UTC

what's the point in having different rules for juvenile and adult when the prosecution can just decide to apply adult law?

Ormurinn

Postby Ormurinn » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:42 pm UTC

speising wrote:what's the point in having different rules for juvenile and adult when the prosecution can just decide to apply adult law?

If juvenile law is used in most cases, and the option to use adult sentencing is used only for the most severe crimes, then that arrangement is useful.
"Progress" - Technological advances masking societal decay.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

i assume juvenile law has clauses dependant on the severity of the crime, too?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

Here's a BBC article on it which seems a bit better written http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27684258
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:42 pm UTC

speising wrote:i assume juvenile law has clauses dependant on the severity of the crime, too?

There is usually at least some latitude, but it is sharply restricted by the nature of being in juvenile court. I believe normally when you hit the age of adulthood(specific details may vary by state), you're released, and your record is wiped or sealed. For particularly unusual murders, you can see why that might not be considered sufficient.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:48 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Considering that their account of the myth of SlenderMan is so bad, I think they're just bad Liars. There is no hierarchy of monsters, there are only creepy stories.

You apparently didn't hang out with girls when you were in middle school. There's this weird feral mystical stage that a lot of them go through where they draw up really intricate cosmologies inspired by, but not especially beholden to, other media, and then believe the shit out of them. Especially in groups where they can mutually reinforce. The number of weird made-up-on-the-spot cults I was the token-male in between the ages of ten and 14 can be counted on one hand, but only barely.

In other words, the fact that these kids didn't stick to the orthodoxy of 20-something creepypasta storytellers on reddit/4chan/SA doesn't mean they're lying, it could just mean they were sticking to the orthodoxy of 12-year-old storytellers in their bedroom.

Basically what I'm saying is they're motherfucking middle schoolers and middle schoolers get really weird ideas sometimes.

speising wrote:what's the point in having different rules for juvenile and adult when the prosecution can just decide to apply adult law?

"Young people can't make decisions at an adult level, so they shouldn't be beholden to the same types of consequences as the adults who are supposed to be supervising them and keeping them from doing heinous things"

"Okay but what if they do something that really outrages us and pisses us off? What if we have feelings about a thing they did?"

"Oh, well then fuck everything I just said, and hang them out to dry. Obviously."

I'm of the opinion that if the court wouldn't, realistically, have approved a hypothetical petition for emancipation from the defendant the day before they committed their crime, then they can take their attempt to treat them as an adult the day after and shove it. As I don't know any jurisdiction where 12 year olds can become emancipated minors, the court should fuck right off with that absurd bullshit.

But, as is generally the case, the revenge-oriented circlejerk that calls itself a justice system in this country disagrees.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm UTC

Apologies for the badly written article; I didn't really notice how badly written it was. I just went with the one with the most information and context.

What interests me most about this story is the psychology of it rather than the novelty of it. Were they deluded? Are they sociopathic?
I do not know about the psychological history of these girls--if they were bullied, neglected, abused, spoiled, loners, if they abused animals, etc--but reports say that the stabbers were best friends with the victim, that they hung out *recently* (I think day before), and they also planned this for *months*. So they hung out with this girl for *months* while at least thinking about killing her. So in that time period they apparently firmly believed in Slendy enough *to murder someone who was at least nominally one of their best friends*. But in all that time they never *actually* encountered Slenderman because he isn't *real*. They never "wised up". Did one or both of them have delusions or schizophrenia where they would actually see him? And why would they choose to act for him in the first place--he is pretty unambiguously a force of evil in most of the mythos. And why did they appararently not feel any guilt after the act?
Also, it's also odd when you have two best friends doing something crazy. You would think the more sane one would ground the more crazy one, but you see the opposite happening. Although this didn't have a psychocsis element of it, only one of the shooters of Columbine is commonly thought of to have been AsPD, but he convinced his friend to help shoot dozens of innocent people.
Sorry for the armchair psychologist; I'm just interested in hearing more about the psyche of these two girls.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:28 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:Considering that their account of the myth of SlenderMan is so bad, I think they're just bad Liars. There is no hierarchy of monsters, there are only creepy stories.

You apparently didn't hang out with girls when you were in middle school. There's this weird feral mystical stage that a lot of them go through where they draw up really intricate cosmologies inspired by, but not especially beholden to, other media, and then believe the shit out of them. Especially in groups where they can mutually reinforce. The number of weird made-up-on-the-spot cults I was the token-male in between the ages of ten and 14 can be counted on one hand, but only barely.

Lots of kids believe weird crap, but most don't go amurderin' friends based on such beliefs. I don't think the mere fact that they are middleschoolers makes this particularly normal.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

While I agree that most middleschoolers don't murder, the things middleschool girls will do to each other are pretty fucking terrifying.

Edit: The only reason this is a story is because whenever a white person engages in a horrific murder the media has to blame someone else.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:37 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Belial wrote:

Lots of kids believe weird crap, but most don't go amurderin' friends based on such beliefs. I don't think the mere fact that they are middleschoolers makes this particularly normal.

My point isn't that kids murdering each other is normal, my point is that kids will concoct their own beliefs, and the fact that they didn't conform to some external mythos elsewhere is the flimsiest possible reason for believing they were "lying".
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:45 pm UTC

And I knew girls in Middle School who stabbed sticks into each other's ears during a game of "Shame shame shame" (similar to Freeze: whoever moved first loses). My sister in fact could have gotten an eardrum punctured and was taken into care. In 6th grade. In another case, there was a catfight that ended up with a fork in one of the girl's eye. (no long term damage, thank goodness). Little girls can be ruthless for no damn reason. I'm quite familiar with this fact.

And to protect themselves when they are ruthless, they will lie through their teeth to get what they want. Stories can be quite consistent, 12-year olds are smart enough to lie with a consistent story.

Your experiences do not match mine, but we hold the same opinion nonetheless. Girls grow out of this stage, and it is unfair to punish a 12-year old in the same way we punish adults. Punishment... yes they deserve punishment. But not as adults, and certainly more towards reforming whatever toxic behaviors these girls have picked up.

12 years is very young. They are certainly at the age where they can learn from this and become a functional member of society.
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:53 pm UTC

I just played mercy as a kid. Both people try to twist the other's wrist until someone begged for it to stop. I always played with kids bigger than me. Don't think I ever won, but I did get a reputation as the kid who wouldn't back down from a fight.

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:04 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Apologies for the badly written article; I didn't really notice how badly written it was. I just went with the one with the most information and context.

What interests me most about this story is the psychology of it rather than the novelty of it. Were they deluded? Are they sociopathic?

Given that they apparently tried to murder this girl to appease a fictional character, it seems like they're deluded at the very least.

I do not know about the psychological history of these girls--if they were bullied, neglected, abused, spoiled, loners, if they abused animals, etc--but reports say that the stabbers were best friends with the victim, that they hung out *recently* (I think day before), and they also planned this for *months*. So they hung out with this girl for *months* while at least thinking about killing her. So in that time period they apparently firmly believed in Slendy enough *to murder someone who was at least nominally one of their best friends*.

They're 12 year old girls - the definition of "friends" can be very, very fluid. It's not uncommon for groups of kids that age to hang out together but where one or more of them is more a target for the others than an actual member of the group. Certainly it's rare that it gets to the point of attempted murder, but the dynamic is there.

That said, the planning for months thing is one of the reasons I believe they'll be tried as adults.

But in all that time they never *actually* encountered Slenderman because he isn't *real*. They never "wised up". Did one or both of them have delusions or schizophrenia where they would actually see him? And why would they choose to act for him in the first place--he is pretty unambiguously a force of evil in most of the mythos. And why did they appararently not feel any guilt after the act?

Kids can believe some crazy-ass shit at that age, and can adopt some really bizarre mythologies. As for not feeling remorse, it could be that they're just in shock. Or perhaps more likely, that one of them is in shock and the other is just really bat-shit crazy.

Also, it's also odd when you have two best friends doing something crazy. You would think the more sane one would ground the more crazy one, but you see the opposite happening. Although this didn't have a psychocsis element of it, only one of the shooters of Columbine is commonly thought of to have been AsPD, but he convinced his friend to help shoot dozens of innocent people.
Sorry for the armchair psychologist; I'm just interested in hearing more about the psyche of these two girls.

According to the police report it seems like one of them was definitely leading the other along. But either way, they planned this thing for months under the pretense of friendship; and then on the day they attacked, they actually hesitated multiple times - which suggests that on some level they knew it was wrong.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Also, it's also odd when you have two best friends doing something crazy. You would think the more sane one would ground the more crazy one, but you see the opposite happening. Although this didn't have a psychocsis element of it, only one of the shooters of Columbine is commonly thought of to have been AsPD, but he convinced his friend to help shoot dozens of innocent people.

Not that I'm saying this is what was happening, but anyway...

Folie a deux
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:19 am UTC

They clearly need help, regardless of what their particular issue is. Locking them up for their entire young adult life doesn't sound very helpful.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:12 am UTC

Well, this story winds up being creepier than anything in the whole Slenderman mythos.

iChef

Postby iChef » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:07 am UTC

It's unfortunate that no one told them it only costs $20 to get Slenderman to make an appearance.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:45 am UTC

Angua wrote:
sje46 wrote:Also, it's also odd when you have two best friends doing something crazy. You would think the more sane one would ground the more crazy one, but you see the opposite happening. Although this didn't have a psychocsis element of it, only one of the shooters of Columbine is commonly thought of to have been AsPD, but he convinced his friend to help shoot dozens of innocent people.

Not that I'm saying this is what was happening, but anyway...

Folie a deux

Good Call.
This happens, a lot.

Most of our Shared delusions are fine little delusions.
These girls were particularly bad.

I agree with Belial.
We, humans, have a rich history of Adolescent misbehavior.

Even in the US; Maybe, especially in the US, twelve is still a child.
A big, mean, messed up child. Still. A child. Needing supervision.

Spoiler:
I knew an eleven year old girl.
She was Mean.

Her mother Worked with her, a lot.
She was 5 foot 9 inches tall.
She weighed 165#.

She could and would kick a man's ass.
She was still a child. A big mean child.

If course, I liked her.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

spacem24

Postby spacem24 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

wow this is sickening

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:01 pm UTC

It brighter news, the victim is apparently recovering and able to walk in hospital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27727206
GNU Terry Pratchett

Ormurinn

Postby Ormurinn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:21 pm UTC

Angua wrote:It brighter news, the victim is apparently recovering and able to walk in hospital.

Fucking hell humans are tough.
"Progress" - Technological advances masking societal decay.

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:28 pm UTC

Ormurinn wrote:
Angua wrote:It brighter news, the victim is apparently recovering and able to walk in hospital.

Fucking hell humans are tough.

Or just extremely lucky sometimes.

Apparently, one of the wounds came very close to puncturing an artery near her heart.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:23 pm UTC

Belial wrote:"Young people can't make decisions at an adult level, so they shouldn't be beholden to the same types of consequences as the adults who are supposed to be supervising them and keeping them from doing heinous things"
"Okay but what if they do something that really outrages us and pisses us off? What if we have feelings about a thing they did?"
"Oh, well then fuck everything I just said, and hang them out to dry. Obviously."
I have a feeling I am totally going to steal this at some point in the future.

If Criminal Minds is to be believed, when there is a pair (or a group) committing this type of violent killings the crazy, violence instigator goes out of their way to find partners that are psychologically vulnerable and easy to manipulate. The saner of the two isn't going to ground the crazier one because the crazier one chose the other one specifically because they would be incapable of that grounding.

But again, that's what I've learned from a pretty terrible show, so an ocean's worth of salt is applicable here.

cphite wrote:
Ormurinn wrote:Fucking hell humans are tough.
Nah, stabbings just aren't as lethal as one would think.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:00 pm UTC

cphite wrote:
Ormurinn wrote:Fucking hell humans are tough.
Nah, stabbings just aren't as lethal as one would think.

That is a meaningless statement. It's like saying car accidents aren't as lethal as one might think; statistically it's true, but it misses the point. A whole lot of knife wounds aren't lethal because of their location; but just one in the right location can kill you.

She was stabbed near the heart, and the knife just missed a major artery. All things considered, that's more luck than anything.

iChef

Postby iChef » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:14 pm UTC

Stabbings are a very hit and miss thing (pun intended). As someone who has slaughtered animals it is very easy to make a clean kill with one or two cuts. Just depends on what you hit. If you are just blindly hacking you can stab someone all over and not make a kill if you are only hitting fat and major muscles. A clean cut through a major artery without very prompt treatment is the end. Even a nasty wound to the liver could cause you to bleed out rapidly. I've seen sheep go from "baa baa" to wrapped parcels of meat and the start to a fine pair of boots in less than 30 minutes. This was by hand by two people using only some sharp knives a hand saw and some rope.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:46 pm UTC

I am personally generally surprised at just how brutal some surgeries can be. You imagine in your head that it's all a really delicate process, and quite a lot of it is really not. General anaesthesia and pain relief works wonders.

The human body can take quite a lot if you know what you're doing. She's pretty lucky that they didn't manage to hit anything important though.
GNU Terry Pratchett

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:50 pm UTC

cphite wrote:That is a meaningless statement. It's like saying car accidents aren't as lethal as one might think; statistically it's true, but it misses the point. A whole lot of knife wounds aren't lethal because of their location; but just one in the right location can kill you.

She was stabbed near the heart, and the knife just missed a major artery. All things considered, that's more luck than anything.
No no, I think you're missing the point. Although my response was more aimed at the "she didn't die because humans are tough."

If you can be stabbed many, many times without dying - as long as you don't get stabbed in one of the very few, very small, vulnerable spots - then it isn't luck that made you survive. That's would be like saying it is luck you didn't win the lottery. That's not luck, it is to be expected.

She survived because she didn't get extremely unlucky. Which is a very good thing.

Angua wrote:I am personally generally surprised at just how brutal some surgeries can be. You imagine in your head that it's all a really delicate process, and quite a lot of it is really not. General anaesthesia and pain relief works wonders.

The human body can take quite a lot if you know what you're doing. She's pretty lucky that they didn't manage to hit anything important though.
I'm no doctor so I can't say if it is the most brutal, but the surgeries where they get at your heart by taking a spreader and then they literally crack you open, god damn!
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:She survived because she didn't get extremely unlucky. Which is a very good thing.

I don't think you have to be that unlucky to die in the context of two people trying to stab you in the heart 19 times.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:31 pm UTC

Yeah, it's going to be lovely sticking two 12 year olds in prison with probably paroling out in 25-30+ years time. What wonderful people we'll release into society when all they've grown up in is criminal element and no appreciable tradeskills to sustain a life at 40.

It just makes me scratch my head that these two girls get almost life in prison while the New Jersey home invader who brutalized a mother in front of her child and threw her down a set of stairs into the basement was a repeat offender that barely got above 10 years each time he did it.

Shawn Custis, the suspect charged in the brutal home invasion and beating of a Millburn woman — a crime that sent shock waves through the quiet Essex County community — is no stranger to the criminal justice system.

Records show a career criminal who has avoided the toughest penalties most of his life by sticking mostly to home burglaries that carry little prison exposure — crimes that kept him never far from a favorable deal when caught, regardless of how often he was locked up.

Here's a detailed look at the long history of criminal charges faced by this repeat offender:

SHAWN CUSTIS' CRIMINAL RECORD

These are the dates attached to Shawn Custis' criminal file, the counties where the alleged crimes took place, the disposition and the term imposed.

Dec. 9, 1988*: Burlington - Burglary (4 years' probation)

Feb. 15, 1991*: Burlington - Unlawful possession of a handgun (5 years' probation)

Dec. 18, 1992*: Camden - Burglary (4 years' probation)

Jan. 15, 1993*: Burlington - Robbery and assault (10 years in jail)

Feb. 10, 1998: Paroled

April 22, 1998: Violated parole, returned to prison

Aug. 28, 1998: Released from jail

Jan. 14, 2000*: Camden - Resisting arrest/eluding police (9 years in jail)

April 14, 2000*: Burlington - Theft (5 years in jail)

May 14, 2000*: Gloucester - Burglary (5 years in jail)

Jan. 30, 2003: Paroled

July. 8, 2003: Violated parole and is sent back to prison

Feb. 27, 2004: Paroled

Sept. 22, 2004: Violated parole, sent to county jail

Aug. 26, 2005*: Union - Forgery (4 years in jail)

April 26, 2006: Sent to halfway house

July 10, 2006: Escaped from halfway house

Aug. 8, 2006: Union: Returned to prison

March 31, 2008: Released from prison

June 14, 2010*: Essex - Burglary (5 years' probation)

June 18, 2010*: Union - Burglary (5 years' probation)

April 1, 2011*: Burlington, Essex, Mercer, Middlesex - Burglary (3 years in jail)

Dec. 22, 2012: Released from prison

June 21, 2013: Essex - Charged in Millburn home invasion; incident captured on nanny cam

* These entries reflect dates that cases were adjudicated.

NOTE: Records include information from the Administrative Office of the Court, the New Jersey Department of Corrections and county charges. They do not include any crimes, if any, committed as a juvenile.

I mean how in hell can 2 immature girls rot in jail while career rapists and violent burglars keep walking out in shorter sentences to reoffend because they're smart enough to pick specific crimes for which the statutes suck.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Return to “News & Articles”