The Darker Side of the News

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

addams

Re: The Darker Side of the News

Postby addams » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:55 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:
addams wrote:
Zohar wrote:At least the citizenship question is off the census!
It is??
Citation Please.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/27/politics/census-supreme-court/index.html
Thank You.
And; I looked for myself, too.
What I found was not Happy-Dance Music.

The Administration thinks they will still get the question 'ON'.
They have until October to bully the Courts.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:38 pm UTC

Was sent a link to a twitter feed. Clicked link in twitter feed. Site inaccessible without adblocker. Will try again. Ah. Huffpo just has a "subscribe" pop up. This is better. URL is amazingly ugly. Anyway, here's text:
Woman Charged With Manslaughter After Gunshot Wound Causes Miscarriage

An Alabama woman who reportedly suffered a miscarriage after being shot in the abdomen has been charged with manslaughter in the death of the fetus.

Marshae Jones, 27, of Birmingham, was indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury on Wednesday and was ordered jailed on $50,000 bond. She was accused of starting a Dec. 4 fight with another woman who fired the shot, AL.com reported.

The accused shooter, Ebony Jemison, 23, was initially charged with manslaughter, but a grand jury declined to indict her and the charge was dropped, the news outlet reported.

Jones was five months pregnant when Jemison shot her outside of a Dollar Store during an argument over the father, according to Pleasant Grove police. Cops called the shooting an act of self-defense.

“The investigation showed that the only true victim in this was the unborn baby,’’ Pleasant Grove police Lt. Danny Reid said after the shooting, according to AL.com. “It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby.”

Police, reached for comment by HuffPost on Thursday, referred questions to the district attorney’s office, which did not immediately respond to requests for comment. It’s unclear whether Jones is represented by an attorney.

Alabama’s Yellowhammer Fund, which advocates for abortion rights in the state, cautioned that Jones’ treatment is part of “a new beginning” in Alabama’s zeal to undermine women’s reproductive rights and the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion.

Alabama’s governor in May signed the nation’s strictest abortion law, making it a felony for a doctor to perform an abortion in nearly all cases, including rape and incest.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:11 am UTC

Okay, Sableagle;
You win.

That is Dark News.
It's beginning to look like we may need to outlaw Dollar Stores.

Spoiler for Tastelessness.
Spoiler:
That woman may qualify for the Darwin Award Honorable Mention.
If she has lost her reproductive organ, she becomes the rare Living Darwin Award Winner.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:07 am UTC

Well, was she liable for the shooting, and not just in a “she was scary, so OF COURSE I assumed she was going to kill me, so I shot her” sense? The person who bears the responsibility for the shooting should presumably bear the responsibility for the outcome of the shooting.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:59 am UTC

As far as I could tell, she got charged because she started the disagreement. At least according to the judge. So us wimmins best never do anything to make a man upset, cause he can then shoot us, killing our babies while he’s at it, and it will all be our own fault.
I know that there are some good people in Alabama, but right now I just want to carpet bomb the whole fucking state.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:54 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:As far as I could tell, she got charged because she started the disagreement. At least according to the judge. So us wimmins best never do anything to make a man upset, cause he can then shoot us, killing our babies while he’s at it, and it will all be our own fault.
I know that there are some good people in Alabama, but right now I just want to carpet bomb the whole fucking state.

Looks like it was a grand jury in both cases (accepting the self-defense statement from the shooter and indicting the victim of the shooting).

Maybe this is some Stand your ground thing or something but doesn’t self defense with a firearm require some level of actual danger going on? Or is any feeling “threatened” sufficient to allow someone to actually shoot you?

idonno

Postby idonno » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:53 pm UTC

According to CBS
According to the grand jury indictment, Jones "intentionally caused the death of her unborn baby by initiating a fight knowing she was five months pregnant,"
Does intentionally have some sort of bizarre legal definition they are using here? I find it hard to believe that anyone could think she intentionally got shot in the stomach to kill the fetus. Are they worried that women are going to start getting in fights just so they can get shot to terminate pregnancies. Even if you take a hard line pro life stance, this case sounds delusional. I could see a pro life argument for negligent homicide but manslaughter just seems crazy.

Chen wrote:Maybe this is some Stand your ground thing or something but doesn’t self defense with a firearm require some level of actual danger going on? Or is any feeling “threatened” sufficient to allow someone to actually shoot you?
I would assume that the fight was a physical altercation which would involve some level of actual danger. I don't know what physical condition the other person was in but it seems pretty likely that if she was able to physically disengage enough to draw a gun, she could have just gotten away from the fight. Five month pregnant women aren't exactly known for their speed.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:44 pm UTC

Or you know, just decided NOT TO USE A GUN.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:34 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Or you know, just decided NOT TO USE A GUN.
Ooorrr....be Very, Very careful at Dollar Stores.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:59 pm UTC

idonno wrote: I would assume that the fight was a physical altercation which would involve some level of actual danger. I don't know what physical condition the other person was in but it seems pretty likely that if she was able to physically disengage enough to draw a gun, she could have just gotten away from the fight. Five month pregnant women aren't exactly known for their speed.

Yeah this is kinda my point. A grand jury accepted the self-defense aspect of the shooting. Unless its a stand your ground thing, I would think the justification of self-defense using a lethal weapon needs to be a bit higher than say someone shoving you around a bit. I mean was she physically beating this person so much the other one feared for her life to the extent she was justified in SHOOTING the person? The self-defense part of this seems insane to begin with.

As to the OTHER indictment that did go through, consider the following: The "Woman A" instead of being pregnant has a child in her car. She starts a fight with "Woman B". "Woman B" legitimately feels her life is in danger and shoots "Woman A" and accidentally also shoots the child in the car. Does "Woman A" get indicted in this case? She still started the fight that resulted in the child dying. There should be no difference if the government of Alabama considers a fetus a person.

The fact that Alabama considers a fetus a person is a separate issue here (and one that is already discussed in the various abortion threads on this forum).

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:09 pm UTC

The question is, did the pregnant woman act in a manner which reasonably justified the use of lethal force against her? If the shooter was clearly overreacting, then it is definitely the shooter’s fault.

gd1

Postby gd1 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:26 am UTC

addams wrote:
PAstrychef wrote:Or you know, just decided NOT TO USE A GUN.
Ooorrr....be Very, Very careful at Dollar Stores.

That is not something I would purchase for a dollar.
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:56 am UTC

Update your lexicons--the expression "it's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk" has just been superseded:

Heatwave cooks mussels in their shells on California shore

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:03 am UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:Update your lexicons--the expression "it's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk" has just been superseded:

Is that a particularly cool place in California? I wouldn’t have thought 80 F is THAT hot for there...

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:43 am UTC

Chen wrote:
ObsessoMom wrote:Update your lexicons--the expression "it's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk" has just been superseded:

Is that a particularly cool place in California? I wouldn’t have thought 80 F is THAT hot for there...

temperatures above 100F at low tide, literally roasting in their shells.

Must be quite a lot "above" to literally roast them.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:37 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Chen wrote:

temperatures above 100F at low tide, literally roasting in their shells.

Must be quite a lot "above" to literally roast them.

They state right before that beachgoer’s were enjoying and 80 F day while the mussels were much hotter in their beds. Presumably that temperature delta (between beach and bed) is going to be fairly consistent. Hence me asking if the 80 F was abnormal. Offhand it seems like reasonable temp for late June in California. It was that hot here in Montreal last weekend.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:50 pm UTC

It was above 90F in England on Saturday.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:21 pm UTC

I concede that "roasted" is hyperbole, but if the mussels that evolved in a typically cool area of California (the San Francisco Bay Area, not Los Angeles) died from an extreme temperature event, it doesn't do much good to tell them that it wasn't really that hot when compared to somewhere else.

In Benicia, there are 30.2 days annually when the high temperature is over 90°, which is cooler than most places in California.

https://www.bestplaces.net/climate/city ... ia/benicia

Another very localized extreme weather event, this time in Guadalajara, Mexico:

Mexico hail: Ice 1.5m thick carpets Guadalajara

Apparently the ground was hot enough that the lower levels of that huge quantity of fallen hail melted quickly, causing a flash flood that carried the top layers of fallen hail down the streets, forcefully enough to carry cars. Unbelievable.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:03 pm UTC

Chen wrote:They state right before that beachgoer’s were enjoying and 80 F day while the mussels were much hotter in their beds. Presumably that temperature delta (between beach and bed) is going to be fairly consistent. Hence me asking if the 80 F was abnormal. Offhand it seems like reasonable temp for late June in California. It was that hot here in Montreal last weekend.
Central and Northern California Coasts are traditionally C-O-L-D !
It has been famously said, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a Summer in San Francisco."

That was true in my lifetime.
That is Not true, anymore.

We shivered and fought for blankets while watching Fourth of July FireWorks.
The water was cold we Never went swimming in Ocean water.
The water was so cold our feet became numb when wading.

We went wading to feel the cold sand between our toes and to look at Bivalves, Starfish, Octopus and little Shrimpies.
Eighty Degrees Fahrenheit was bloody well unheard of! Today that is considered 'Normal', I guess. We adapt.
ObsessoMom wrote:Another very localized extreme weather event, this time in Guadalajara, Mexico:

Mexico hail: Ice 1.5m thick carpets Guadalajara

Apparently the ground was hot enough that the lower levels of that huge quantity of fallen hail melted quickly, causing a flash flood that carried the top layers of fallen hail down the streets, forcefully enough to carry cars. Unbelievable.
That's...well...That's weird.
I, kind'a, get it.

There are mountains in the visual distance there.
Thunderstorms can form over the mountains.

Still...That's weird.

edit: AHH!!
Global Heatwaves, Wacky Out of Balance Flooding Events and Human Population Displacement are no longer 'forecasts'.
Those things are Here! And! Now!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48785055
AHH!! It's too late!
We are Doomed!

(sniff-sniff...) Hold my hand....
Hold everyone's hand...

What else can we do?
Bite the hand that can't feed itself?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:10 pm UTC

In the ongoing saga of Heinrich Yaxley,
Supporters of Tommy Robinson stormed through Westminster attacking journalists and shouting abuse at police and MPs after he was jailed for contempt of court.

The far-right activist, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon was handed a nine-month sentence over a video he broadcast on Facebook featuring defendants in a criminal trial – in breach of a reporting ban.

Angry fans of his who had gathered outside court briefly clashed with police as the sentence was announced before marching to Parliament Square.

Police donned riot gear as they were pelted with drinks bottles and cans.

Video appeared to show the group protesters breaking up and destroying pro-EU protests left outside the Houses of Parliament by anti-Brexit campaigners.

A demonstrator interrupted a live BBC broadcast as the presenter spokes to the camera, running in front of him and chanting “Tommy”.

And another video showed a man picking up a lighting stand and smacking someone believed to be a BBC journalist over the head with it in an apparently unprovoked attack.

Earlier Yaxley-Lennon, who was wearing a t-shirt reading “convicted of journalism”, told Sky that he had been jailed for “doing exactly what you are doing now – being a journalist”.

This was despite the fact that the court case for Yaxley-Lennon had no restrictions in place meaning journalists are not breaking the law by reporting on it.

As the group of demonstrators gathered on Parliament Square, some holding flags and others waving placards saying Yaxley-Lennon was a “political prisoner”, they chanted “Soubry is a Nazi” – referring to MP Anna Soubry who has been harassed by some protesters in the past.

And according to reports others chanted “paedo protectors!” at the police and “hang the judge. Hang the judge. String the bastard up”.
Classy as ever.
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:25 pm UTC

Funny or Dark...
It is hard for me to tell sometimes.

This:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZT-_VbKBuc
The large Jelly from southern China has been spotted off Cornwall.

This Jelly clogs and breaks nets and it cuts off oxygen supplies.
It has caused Japan a great deal of trouble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HP0_7_RRwg
(long U-Tube clip about Japan)

Now, it is at Your House! Oh, Dear!
You might have to eat it, too.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:48 pm UTC

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... ew-zealand

The gun store chain that sold the weapons to the Christchurch mosque attacker is planning to open a 300 sq metre megastore in Christchurch.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:53 pm UTC

"You know our stuff works!"
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:29 pm UTC

Three hundred square meters counts as a mega store these days? That’s like, smaller than ANY supermarket that I have ever been to. That’s smaller than my 3-bedroom house!

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:10 pm UTC

I think you may be confusing square meters with square feet? Our house is four bedrooms and 1300 square feet, about 120 square meters. A 300 square meter store would be over 3K square feet. Which is definitely larger than the average store, though not as big as grocery stores, sports stores, etc. I agree the choice of "megastore" is strange.
Last edited by Zohar on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 pm UTC

Yeah, 300 sq metres is like a square that's 17m on a side. It's pretty big for a gun shop.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:47 pm UTC

33 dead after arsonist attacks Kyoto Animation studio.
https://www.apnews.com/b10907eaf37945889d9ee4339df92aaa
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:42 pm UTC

That's so sad.

Hy head knows that all human beings are equally precious, but my heart feels the loss of people who were creators (as in this situation, and as in the Charlie Hebdo attack) a bit harder.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:19 am UTC

Yeah, this is gutting, and we don't even know who all we lost yet. Equipment can be replaced, media assets were hopefully backed up off-site, but the amount of creative talent that could potentially be in the victim list here is staggering. Those guys worked with freakin' everyone.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:31 am UTC

oh...
I'm so sorry that happened.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:52 am UTC

36 were injured, too--some of them critically.

(I'm just thinking out loud--this isn't directed at anyone.)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:38 am UTC

Any news on what they were working on, what the motive of the murder was, etc?

I'm always saddened more by the death of an artist or scientist than for others. It's more than just a life lost, but everything they ever were going to create. I know, it's the same for everyone else who dies early, but it just seems more obvious in that line of work.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:45 am UTC

Well, we can definitely write off any chance of a third season of Haruhi Suzumiya ever being produced. I used to be crazy about that series.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:04 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Any news on what they were working on, what the motive of the murder was, etc?

I'm always saddened more by the death of an artist or scientist than for others. It's more than just a life lost, but everything they ever were going to create. I know, it's the same for everyone else who dies early, but it just seems more obvious in that line of work.

If you listen to rumors, it was a dispute over copycat/theft of ideas. But that's hardly confirmed.
I prefer the rumors that old buildings are deathtraps if a fire starts.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:44 am UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:That's so sad.

Hy head knows that all human beings are equally precious, but my heart feels the loss of people who were creators (as in this situation, and as in the Charlie Hebdo attack) a bit harder.

I remember back in 1999, when NATO controversially bombed a Serbian Radio and TV station. The broadcast news coverage kept making a big deal of how one of the civilians killed was a female makeup artist. It started to really bug me after a while. It wasn't clear whether it was her gender, the creative nature of her work, or something else that made her particularly undeserving of being blown to bits, compared to, say, studio engineers. I can't find any reference to the trope in contemporary online coverage, so maybe it was only on the radio...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:01 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
ObsessoMom wrote:That's so sad.

I remember back in 1999, when NATO controversially bombed a Serbian Radio and TV station. The broadcast news coverage kept making a big deal of how one of the civilians killed was a female makeup artist. It started to really bug me after a while. It wasn't clear whether it was her gender, the creative nature of her work, or something else that made her particularly undeserving of being blown to bits, compared to, say, studio engineers. I can't find any reference to the trope in contemporary online coverage, so maybe it was only on the radio...

Probably an effort to emphasize the most harmless-seeming non-combatant in the bunch.

(And probably also playing somewhat on the traditional calculation that women's reproductive abilities are more limited than men's, so for the perpetuation of the species women are supposed to be the first ones in the lifeboat, etc. Eggs are worth more than sperm. The vice or virtue of the individual women and men who carry them are always irrelevant in that calculation.)

I fully admit that my own bias toward artists is just that--an indefensible bias. The lives of the non-artists who died in the fire are no less valuable. And yet I still feel that bias--probably because I'm involved in the arts myself, and empathy is always easier when you can identify more closely with a victim. Just as you probably identified more closely with the equally-innocent people overlooked in that radio coverage of that 1999 incident. Completely understandable and legitimate on your part, if you're not a female makeup artist.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:40 pm UTC

50-year-old newspaper clipping: https://twitter.com/heidistevens13/stat ... 1813325824

D_4ATjLX4AAmz_u.jpg large.jpg

Nice to know we've changed for the better and nobody rich and fat and comfortable smugly tells the less fortunate that if they don't like it that way they can fuck right off these days, isn't it? Now, we have the far more ... umm ... oh, hey. Nothing's changed. Well, shit.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:19 pm UTC

I've enjoyed hearing snippets from Trump's Inaugural Address in which he did not sound as if he loved things here very much. Apparently running for public office is an acceptable alternative to "Leave It" if you don't "Love It."

Oh, wait, the four Congressmembers that Trump was criticizing did that, too. Oops.

How about "Love It or Leave It, Unless You're White and Male, In Which Case Complaining About How Terrible Things Are in America Is Perfectly Fine"?

gd1

Postby gd1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:11 am UTC

There but for the grace of God, go I.

I can't find it, but there was an article somewhere (or maybe a youtube where a guy reads an article) about how some people complain about taxes and welfare until it helps them and part of the speech says (maybe paraphrasing)... "Maybe he should have said 'There but for the grace of God, go I.'" in regards to having it help them.
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:44 am UTC

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/07/22/j ... residents/

Large group of people all wearing white started attacking protestors in Hong Kong, likely triads working with the Chinese government. There are reports that the police station was closed, 999 operators were hanging up on callers, police walked away from the train station before the attack, and that they let the attackers get away afterwards.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Return to “News & Articles”