The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

dg61

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby dg61 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:15 am UTC

elasto wrote:
Phones can be used with minimal dexterity and voice commands. The small numbers of special users is, once again, exactly why items like this get marketed to the rest of us.

I disagree. To me it's like the (apocryphal) story of the US spending millions on developing a pen that can write in zero gravity and the Russians using a pencil.

There are plenty of simple solutions for shoes for the disabled - sandals, slip-ons, shoes with velcro straps etc; Nike created shoes that can self-tie from phone apps just because they thought it would be cool.

I mean, tbf slip-ons are nice but sometimes you do want lace-ups, and phones are pretty usable if you have low manual dexterity with the right modifications. More generally, a lot of Weird Products are more or less this-products aimed at physically disabled persons

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:48 pm UTC

Progress!

N.I.H. Head Calls for End to All-Male Panels of Scientists
Francis Collins pledged to decline to speak at conferences that do not include enough women in prominent speaking roles.

The New York Times wrote:In an interview after his statement was released, Dr. Collins said, “Certainly white men are wonderful contributors to the biomedical enterprise — I’m one of them. But at the same time, there’s a tendency to neglect the fact that we have lots of other people contributing to research.”

[...]

Dr. Collins said that from now on, whenever he is asked to speak, he will say that “we want to see exactly how you handled this issue of inclusiveness — please tell us what you’re doing.” He will ask to see the final roster 30 days before the event.

Dr. Collins said he was not going to require any quota for women as speakers or direct other N.I.H. scientists to follow his example because “I would not want anybody to do this because they’re forced to.”

He acknowledged that in some areas it might be challenging to bring in a significant number of women. “I want to be totally reasonable about that,” he said. “But I want to see the effort.”

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:35 pm UTC

That is impressive.
It is a delightful example of an ally.

We need examples.
That's how we learn.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “News & Articles”