The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

addams

Re: The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future

Postby addams » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

Me?
A heater without a Thermostat?
ech.

Most have some sort of thermostat.
Sometimes the thermostats break or malfunction.

At the moment I live with non-functional thermostats.
It's no big deal. It is not a Space Heater.

It is either On or Off.
None of that weird only so Hot; Cool off; Repeat.

In the Future?
Here in the Future are Ear Buds.

I knew about Ear Buds.
Loads of people have them.

I tried a pair.
!Holy Shit!

I think I want to try it, again.

Ear Buds.
Ear Buds are a Future Technology.

How are we handling Ear Buds?
Like all Technology.

Some of us are handling it better than others.

It is possible for me to have a conversation with another person.
It's Possible! I didn't write, 'Likely.'

I can have a Symphony playing in my head.
The other person can have Rap with a Rugged Tempo playing in their head.

That was always True.
I can have some song running through my head, because I like it and have heard it many, many times and -(do-do-do; hum-dee-dee-dum)-
The very next person inside their own skin may have a very different song running through their head. (do--waop--Ramma-Ramma *ding/dong*)

Today it is a little different.
The songs in the Ear Buds are Good.

So much better to hear Music than to Remember Music.
Ear Buds are a Blessing!

I think This is Music.
You think That is Music.

We stand beside one another and exist in different Universes?
That may not be a Good Thing. What do you think?

I want to try the Ear Buds, again.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:02 pm UTC

"I've solved the interesting research problems. The rest is just business, which is easy, right?" :)
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:28 pm UTC

I'm more interested in a car battery that can be charged in minutes. Would make electric cars much more viable.

Honestly, the electric car market and renewables are marketed to Americans all wrong. Buy Tesla because you love America! When you buy electric cars, you support Americans. When you use electricity instead of oil, you support American families (insert picture of rugged coal miners looking at waving flags) instead of obese oversexed Saudi and Venezuelan autocrats. Electric cars, even if powered by the dirtiest coal, in the end price less than half the pollution of gasoline cars. So electric cars keep America beautiful (insert bald eagle screech)!

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:53 pm UTC

Electric cars are awesome in every possible way, except range and top speed. They are better for the environment, produce less noise, require much less maintenance, have a longer lifetime (except for the batteries), and they accelerate like a bat out of hell. A lack of top speed is something that most people can live with (and I'm sure faster electric cars can be produced, in time). The lack or range is what has been blocking electric cars so far. Being able to charge them in seconds would help a lot - you'd need more stops at the 'gas' station, but if they are sufficiently fast that is not a major issue in well developed areas.

I'm not saying better marketing can't help in getting more people to buy them. But better batteries would be the Big Thing.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:05 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I'm more interested in a car battery that can be charged in minutes. Would make electric cars much more viable.

You may be only interested in the end product that will make your Dreams Come True.

I think you should be grateful that someone else is interested in the Little Things along the way.
It is nice for you and me to make the Intellectual Leap from a tiny battery that charges in 30 seconds to a large battery that charges in 30 seconds.

I am pleased someone is doing that kind of work.
Those Bucky Balls may Save Us All.

I am Ranty, today.
And; For good reason.

I am foe to most.
The rest are protected by a Spoiler.

Spoiler:
Bucky was an American.
Are you so proud?

He had no idea.
Bucky Balls like most Science Shit were here before man.

Bucky Balls like most Science Shit were right there the Whole Time.
Look what Humanity at its best can do!

Sand and Gold become the minds of computers.
Bucky Balls harvest the power of the sun.
Norwegians get Good Coffee and your Prius charges in 5 mins.

Will you quit bitching.
THEY. The mysterious, They, are constrained by the Laws Of Nature, too.
If the story is true. I'm guessing, they are doing their best.

That is good. 30 second charge.
Imagine what they could do if we were on their side?

Give them Half a Break. huh?
Even if it is only Lip Service.

Give your intellectual superiors Half a Break.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:07 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:

"I've solved the interesting research problems. The rest is just business, which is easy, right?" :)

operative statement:
"But the startup [...] is planning to do all that."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:36 pm UTC

Addams, if they can create a small battery that can recharge instantly, they can create a large one that does the same. Having a phone recharge instantly is nice but not so critical, as I can leave my phone plugged in while I'm at work or home or driving. I can't leave my car plugged in anywhere but home.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:38 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I'm more interested in a car battery that can be charged in minutes. Would make electric cars much more viable.

Honestly, the electric car market and renewables are marketed to Americans all wrong. Buy Tesla because you love America! When you buy electric cars, you support Americans. When you use electricity instead of oil, you support American families (insert picture of rugged coal miners looking at waving flags) instead of obese oversexed Saudi and Venezuelan autocrats. Electric cars, even if powered by the dirtiest coal, in the end price less than half the pollution of gasoline cars. So electric cars keep America beautiful (insert bald eagle screech)!

Well, yeah, the Tesla has done the image thing a lot better. Not in exactly this way, but they've gone with an image of awesome, rather than the budget car approach. So, people tend to think of Tesla despite Tesla not actually being that huge in term of automakers.

And yeah, I'd *love* improvements in car batteries. I keep looking eagerly at hybrids/full electrics, but my non-hybrid civic remains sufficiently cost-effective that I can't justify switching. Yet.

Electric cars keep getting better, though.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:35 pm UTC

Vaginas successfully grown in a lab:

http://www.livescience.com/44756-lab-gr ... lants.html

One step closer to building sex bots with living tissue.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:51 am UTC

So... can it be used for trans women?

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:32 am UTC

addams wrote:Give them Half a Break. huh?
Even if it is only Lip Service.

Give your intellectual superiors Half a Break.
I'd rather give them more of my tax dollars, to be honest. The future is basically built on science and ingenuity, and giving money to people with the ingenuity to work on science seems like a good way to get there.
CorruptUser wrote:Addams, if they can create a small battery that can recharge instantly, they can create a large one that does the same. Having a phone recharge instantly is nice but not so critical, as I can leave my phone plugged in while I'm at work or home or driving. I can't leave my car plugged in anywhere but home.
The battery might be able to take it, but delivering enough power to charge a phone in half a minute is much easier than doing the same for a car. A fuel pump at a gas station delivers (potential) energy at a pretty fantastic rate (~20MW), and I'm not sure how we'll match that with an electric connection in the near future. Even accounting for increased efficiency with electric vehicles, power delivery is a pretty substantial issue - to charge a base model Tesla S from flat in 5 minutes would require ~700kW. That's an engineering problem that extends past the battery pack.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:47 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Addams, if they can create a small battery that can recharge instantly, they can create a large one that does the same. Having a phone recharge instantly is nice but not so critical, as I can leave my phone plugged in while I'm at work or home or driving. I can't leave my car plugged in anywhere but home.

Home, Work, While Shopping, While Watching a Film.
"Where there is a will, there is a way."

The whole No Battery Memory is helpful.
The new batteries can be partially filled without ill effects.
The battery will fill completely next time.

That is such a huge improvement.
Don't worry. You will get the car of your dreams.

And; When you do, bitching about the seat covers will be expected.
I sure hope you don't get a short. It could be shocking.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:51 am UTC

Goggles help surgeon see cancer.

It's just being trialled (so news is probably a bit premature), but the components of the tech put together are still cool. You create a protein that binds to your cancer, but not other cells, label it with a nano-particle that emits light at a wavelength we can't see, inject it into the patient, use the goggles to see the light, and cut it out!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:51 am UTC

err.... and some other kinds of technology might struggle to take off:

We've heard a lot lately about the bursting of the tech bubble, but scientists at Bristol University believe their bubble technology could have a profitable future.

Their system for producing bubbles onto which images can be projected and which release a scent when burst will be unveiled at a major conference on human-computer interfaces this weekend.

The video demonstration of what is described as a "chrono-sensory mid-air display system" shows how bubbles of varying sizes can be created, then tracked so that images can be projected on them.

The technology has already attracted interest from shopping malls. The professor imagines a future where a bakery chain releases bubbles containing the scent of sausage rolls to entice people into their stores - although it sounds to me as though that could turn into an olfactory nightmare, with different scents competing for shoppers' attention.

He also sketches out ideas for what he calls an ambient notification system - for instance, a bubble that would float around your office every now and then with a number showing how many unread emails are in your inbox. "You could go even further. If we encode each category of email with a different scent, the smell would tell you vaguely how many emails you had from family as opposed to work-related ones."

Rofl at the absurdity of that one!

elasto

Postby elasto » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:52 pm UTC

This one's cool though:

A company in China has used giant 3D printers to make 10 full-sized, detached, single-storey houses in a day, it appears.

A private firm, WinSun, used four 10m x 6.6m printers to spray a mixture of cement and construction waste to build the walls, layer by layer, official Xinhua news agency reported.

The cheap materials used during the printing process and the lack of manual labour means that each house can be printed for under $5,000, the 3dprinterplans website says.

"We can print buildings to any digital design our customers bring us. It's fast and cheap," says WinSun chief executive Ma Yihe.

He also hopes his printers can be used to build skyscrapers in the future. At the moment, however, Chinese construction regulations do not allow multi-storey 3D-printed houses, Xinhua says.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:41 am UTC

That is amazing.
I don't understand how it works.

How did a 3D printer do that?
3D printers were for tools.

It is a cute little house, anyway.

It is so cute.
It looks like a Vacation Cottage.

How Great would it be to have one of those?
A person would need a Garden to put it in.

What is it like, inside?
So many questions.

If that is True.
Then Woosh!

There goes China!
Woosh! She takes the Lead!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:19 am UTC

elasto wrote:This one's cool though:

A company in China has used giant 3D printers to make 10 full-sized, detached, single-storey houses in a day, it appears.

A private firm, WinSun, used four 10m x 6.6m printers to spray a mixture of cement and construction waste to build the walls, layer by layer, official Xinhua news agency reported.

The cheap materials used during the printing process and the lack of manual labour means that each house can be printed for under $5,000, the 3dprinterplans website says.

"We can print buildings to any digital design our customers bring us. It's fast and cheap," says WinSun chief executive Ma Yihe.

He also hopes his printers can be used to build skyscrapers in the future. At the moment, however, Chinese construction regulations do not allow multi-storey 3D-printed houses, Xinhua says.

This makes me immediately worry about the structural soundness of the printed buildings. There are/were big problems in China with buildings not being structurally sound in the case of earthquakes, for example. Can a 3D printed house automatically incorporate rebar for structural support?

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:58 am UTC

Don't know. Perhaps that's why regulations do not allow more than single-story houses.

How earthquake-proof is the average single-story house in China anyhow? Wonder if the regulations require them to be reinforced to begin with.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:09 am UTC

Swiss scientists studying possibility, dangers of Lake Tsunamis.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27196759

Apparently, the risk is small.

Still, it's a cool phrase: Swiss Lake Tsunamis.

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:39 am UTC

Adacore wrote:

This makes me immediately worry about the structural soundness of the printed buildings. There are/were big problems in China with buildings not being structurally sound in the case of earthquakes, for example. Can a 3D printed house automatically incorporate rebar for structural support?

You can't print the rebar itself (or at least not with the same machine that prints the cement) so you'd have to put up the rebar first and then print the cement around it. That sounds like a tricky problem to solve, but it's probably not impossible.

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:52 am UTC

johnny_7713 wrote:You can't print the rebar itself (or at least not with the same machine that prints the cement) so you'd have to put up the rebar first and then print the cement around it. That sounds like a tricky problem to solve, but it's probably not impossible.

Shouldn't be impossible to mount something like this on the same rails as the cement printer, to move about to print the rebar as you went. Those are likely not that cheap though, plus with a laser that melts steel, you'd have to shield it properly, I suppose.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:43 am UTC

There are Youtube videos and such of their process. eg. this

They don't seem to use any metal rods; They seem to print just using a mixture of cement and recycled construction/mining waste.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:49 pm UTC

johnny_7713 wrote:
Adacore wrote:

You can't print the rebar itself (or at least not with the same machine that prints the cement) so you'd have to put up the rebar first and then print the cement around it. That sounds like a tricky problem to solve, but it's probably not impossible.

Horizontal rebars should be relatively easy to add, you could include some sort of dispenser that drops one onto the wet cement every so often. Now, this doesn't entirely fix the issue, as you definitely want vertical support as well, but it might make an intermediate improvement.

Sintered steel on that scale would be cost prohibative, I imagine.

Still, some sort of automated house-creating machine sounds nifty.

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:40 pm UTC

Thirty-one wrote:
johnny_7713 wrote:You can't print the rebar itself (or at least not with the same machine that prints the cement) so you'd have to put up the rebar first and then print the cement around it. That sounds like a tricky problem to solve, but it's probably not impossible.

Shouldn't be impossible to mount something like this on the same rails as the cement printer, to move about to print the rebar as you went. Those are likely not that cheap though, plus with a laser that melts steel, you'd have to shield it properly, I suppose.

It can make wide thin-walled cylinders, but can it also make thin solid cylinders? Can it produce metal with the desired properties? Is the speed anywhere close to being competitive with traditional manufacturing processes? Does the cement remain unaffected by the heat?

Sorry if I'm coming across as too negative, for all I know the answers to the above questions are all yes. 3D-printing touches upon my area of expertise though and I get a bit annoyed by some of the hype on occasion. Yes, you can do lots of cool stuff with 3D-printing, but no, it's not a magic replicator.

[quote=''Tyndmyr'']
Horizontal rebars should be relatively easy to add, you could include some sort of dispenser that drops one onto the wet cement every so often. Now, this doesn't entirely fix the issue, as you definitely want vertical support as well, but it might make an intermediate improvement. [/quote]

I'm not a civil engineer, but I'm pretty sure the largest loads in buildings are vertical (at least in the walls), in which case horizontal rebar isn't going to do much for you. For floors that would work though.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:57 pm UTC

johnny_7713 wrote:
Thirty-one wrote:

It can make wide thin-walled cylinders, but can it also make thin solid cylinders? Can it produce metal with the desired properties? Is the speed anywhere close to being competitive with traditional manufacturing processes? Does the cement remain unaffected by the heat?

Sorry if I'm coming across as too negative, for all I know the answers to the above questions are all yes. 3D-printing touches upon my area of expertise though and I get a bit annoyed by some of the hype on occasion. Yes, you can do lots of cool stuff with 3D-printing, but no, it's not a magic replicator.

Agreed. My guess is that the speed/quality/cost tradeoff isn't there yet. Cool, tech, to be sure, but going from a prototype to commercial use is often less simple than people believe. Metal 3d printing exists, housing size 3d printing exists, multi-material 3d printing exists, but combining all of those in a manner sufficient to make entire homes is a major acheivement.

Still exciting, though, =)

[quote=''Tyndmyr'']
Horizontal rebars should be relatively easy to add, you could include some sort of dispenser that drops one onto the wet cement every so often. Now, this doesn't entirely fix the issue, as you definitely want vertical support as well, but it might make an intermediate improvement.

I'm not a civil engineer, but I'm pretty sure the largest loads in buildings are vertical (at least in the walls), in which case horizontal rebar isn't going to do much for you. For floors that would work though.[/quote]

I believe a portion of earthquake proofing is lateral stresses...but yes, you also definitely want vertical. Would be vastly better. Placing and printing around vertically placed rebar is...I guess mildly better than just placing and pouring, but it seems to me that there'd be some practical problems(notably, positioning), and you're getting away from the presumable goal of an automated house-creator. Easier than printing the supports in place, though.

addams

Postby addams » Sun May 04, 2014 10:56 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Swiss scientists studying possibility, dangers of Lake Tsunamis.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27196759

Apparently, the risk is small.

Still, it's a cool phrase: Swiss Lake Tsunamis.

Swiss Lake Tsunamis.
That's fun.

A good name for a Drink? maybe?
Something strong and cold with a blue color?

I have thought about lake events, a little.
The principles are the same.

Why not have a wave show up unexpectedly to mess up a perfectly good day?

Seismographs set up at intervals will show landslides and other deformations of the bowl.
Making a picture of that should be fairly straight forward.

How do they test the system?
Like a bunch of Americans?

Set the seismographs up and Thump the ground?
Thump-Thump! With a pile driver. That's ok.

It's when we start setting off charges that ya' have to watch us.
We are none too smart. We are smarter than that, today.
Spoiler:
Cross your fingers, wish upon a star and pray.
We have been powerfully stupid. We might still be.

Spoiler:
At one time the US considered hitting the San Andreas Fault with atomic blasts.
That's funny stuff. It was not considered very seriously.

Well. It didn't make it out of committee.
What a funny idea. It seemed ok at first blush.

We were hitting near. Why not do a direct hit?
That was so NOT what the guy that explained the thing wanted.

He said, "Atomic blast activity, might, cause movement on the San Andres Fault System."
If you squint your eyes, just right, and look again that might start to make sense.

Movement on that fault system relieves pressure that has built up.
If we release the pressure on our time schedule not the schedule of Nature, then Good Things.

That is not exactly the way that system works.
It is not Possible to blow the shit out of it in one spot and expect all other spots to respond predictably.

Do you know how long that system is?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Andreas_Fault
810 miles from tip to tip.

It is a strange thing.
https://www.google.com/search?q=san+and ... 80&bih=593

To study the earth is only right.
The Swiss have movement, too.
Darned dramatic movement.

The earth is rising straight up under their feet.
And; Fast.

Those upthrust mountains are some of the highest in the world.

In the future?
Spoiler:
Will we have international laws setting a limit on elevation of Swiss Mountains?
International Law Encroaching upon Swiss Freedom from all sides!

*excuse* American Conspiracy theories repeating on me.
Like an intellectual cucumber.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

elasto

Postby elasto » Fri May 09, 2014 10:32 am UTC

BBC wrote:A new plastic that "heals itself" has been designed, meaning your cracked phone screen or broken tennis racquet could one day mend its own wounds.

The polymer automatically patches holes 3cm wide, 100 times bigger than before. Inspired by the human blood system, it contains a network of capillaries that deliver healing chemicals to damaged areas.

For decades scientists have dreamed of structures that heal like a plant or an animal heals a wound. Cracks in water pipes and car bonnets would seal up. Satellites could repair their own damage. Broken electronic chips in laptops and mobile phones would spontaneously sort out their own problems.

One of the first big breakthroughs came in 2001 at the University of Illinois. Prof Scott White and colleagues infused a polymer with microscopic capsules containing a liquid healing agent. When the material cracked, the chemicals were released and bridged the gaps.

More recently, concrete, water-resistant coatings, and even electrical circuits have been engineered with self-healing properties.

But even the best self-healing plastics and polymers can only repair small-scale damage, the Science magazine authors note: "Although self-healing of microscopic defects has been demonstrated, the re-growth of material lost through catastrophic damage requires a regenerative-like approach," said Prof White.

To fix larger breakages, he and his team have designed a new, vascular system - inspired by the arteries and veins of the human body. A network of channels delivers a healing agent to the site of damage.

The chemicals arrive via two separate streams. They combine to seal the gap in a two-stage reaction. Initially, they form a gel scaffold across the hole. The gel then slowly hardens into a robust, solid structure.

"We filled regions exceeding 35mm within 20 minutes, and restored mechanical function within three hours," the researchers wrote in Science.

Tests showed the material recovered about 62% of its original strength.

Cool stuff!

speising

Postby speising » Fri May 09, 2014 12:00 pm UTC

that's pretty nice to repair micrometeorite damage in space, for example.

addams

Postby addams » Fri May 09, 2014 2:21 pm UTC

speising wrote:that's pretty nice to repair micrometeorite damage in space, for example.

Wait A Minute!
What??

This sort of thing is how Hal and Dave happened!
Our fairy tails are warnings! Don't do it!!

jeeze. We have rebuilt the Tower of Babel.
Now, you want to teach them to create Themselves.

Like all Gods, our creations will be a reflection of ourselves.
I am, currently, so disappointed in humans, as to worry.

It could Go either way.
Spoiler:
It could become a fucking dystopian nightmare.
We sabotage you. You sabotage us.
Then we both make mistakes and we Go Down Hard.

Or; We could be silly.
Our creations may become a silly and creative extension of our uniquely human desire to live at Peace with God and EachOther.
Deep inside, hiding in Fear, is the Child of God, Brothers and Sisters all. We are an Unhappy Family. We need guidance.

It could be ok.
What way are we going to run?
What way are we going to walk?

Do you remember Mr. Obama's first term?
Do you remember Mr. Obama using the words, "Stumble Foreword" ?

While I was looking for a pep talk from the first term I found an advertisement for the second term.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GOwfCSiuGg

Well...That was Upbeat.
Forward. Forward to where?

It must be a fucking loop.

Not everything is about Sex, Politics or Religion.
Plastic that heals its self. That's just fine.

What could go Wrong?
Plastic Keloid Tissue for one thing.

That would not be so bad, I suppose.
The wages of being clumsy are belongings with texture.

EDIT: We are There! TRIGGER: Naked EyeBall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83LuPGpYVBI

The color of a person's eyes is a Choice.
There are a limited number of choices for The Masses.

Nearly AnyOne can pick a Color and have that Color.
The procedure has risks. EveryThing has risks.

I think Purple Eyes are Great!
Blue Eyed people wearing Blue Contacts often end up with Purple Eyes.

(shrug) I don't know why.
They, just, do.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

elasto

Postby elasto » Sat May 24, 2014 4:28 am UTC

A company in Alabama is using 3-D printing technology to devise prosthetics for children at just $5 a pop.

Prosthetic limbs are an option for children as young as Kate, but they run anywhere from about $10,000 to $50,000, and insurance companies typically don’t cover the cost because young patients will outgrow the devices so quickly. Kate’s family’s insurance would have paid the bulk of the fee, her mother says, leaving the family to come up with the remainder — $3,000 to $5,000 — but the “expense was still a little ridiculous,” Berkholtz says.

Enter Zero Point Frontiers, a space engineering company in Huntsville that heard about baby Kate’s predicament and volunteered to help. Jason Hundley, the company’s president and CEO, was introduced to Kate’s family through his wife, who runs a local children’s gym that the family attends. Serendipitously, Zero Point Frontiers had recently acquired a 3-D printer, which the company’s engineers quickly set about using to devise and build a low-cost, kid-size prosthetic hand. The engineers uploaded the hand design into the printer via a memory card, which the jet printer then used as a blueprint to guide its spray, back and forth, layer by layer, depositing tiny particles of plastic gradually to produce the 3-D object.

Made out of a biodegradable polymer, the hard contraption fits onto Kate’s forearm with Velcro straps and is powered by her wrist movements. When Kate bends her wrist, the wires that act as tendons tighten, curling the little plastic fingers and allowing her to grip and pick things up.

Hundley plans to make a variety of attachments for Kate’s hand — a separate one for bike riding, for swimming, for holding the bow of a violin. While adult prosthetics are designed to accomplish a broad range of functions and to last for many years (and to be flesh-toned, of course), Hundley says that the low cost of producing each of the 3-D-printed devices — about $5 for the hand, mostly to cover the cost of the straps and wires, and $1 for each attachment — means that you can make as many as you want and keep swapping them out as the child grows. “This technology brings something that was the price of a car down to the price of a latte,” Hundley recently told the magazine Orthopedic Design & Technology.

Going forward, Hundley hopes to make Kate’s printed hand modular, scalable and open source. That way, anyone can modify it to fit their particular needs, print the hand’s plastic structure and assemble it from anywhere in the world.

For now, he’s made a remarkable difference in the life of one towheaded toddler. Kate is “wanting to do things that her big brother is doing, like ride a bike or ride a trike, hold onto monkey bars, that kind of thing,” says her mom. “And this technology is going to let us do that like any other kid, for, like, five or ten bucks.”

link

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:34 am UTC

speising wrote:that's pretty nice to repair micrometeorite damage in space, for example.

Assuming the healing agents don't just boil off if they're exposed to vacuum; but it would be cool indeed.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:39 pm UTC

Stolen from another thread, but I think it belongs here: The Moon is now a wifi hotspot, at faster speeds than the typical consumer can get here.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2014/05/28/the-moon-is-now-a-wi-fi-hotspot/#.U4h-t61dX9b
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:34 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Stolen from another thread, but I think it belongs here: The Moon is now a wifi hotspot, at faster speeds than the typical consumer can get here.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2014/05/28/the-moon-is-now-a-wi-fi-hotspot/#.U4h-t61dX9b

That's really neat. But they failed to mention the latency, that would be around a couple of seconds

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:18 am UTC

Our 3D fruit printer will open up new possibilities not only to professional chefs but also to our home kitchens – allowing us to enhance and expand our dining experiences. We have re-invented the concept of fresh fruit on demand.”

Chief Inventor at Dovetailed, Gabriel Villar, adds: “With our novel printing technique, you can not only recreate existing fruits, but also invent your own creations. The taste, texture, size and shape of the fruit can all be customized.”

Print your own fruit

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:23 am UTC

We can send high speed messages around the world instantly, effectively negating all barriers of distance and time in communication between individuals, in formats uncountable, diversifying from simple text to images to moving images to simulations of reality to constructions that have meaning only to humans; all without noticing that the people closest to us are having a rough time.

jseah

Postby jseah » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:05 am UTC

Hrm, what do we have here, Mr Sam Deadwyler?

You have managed to record and play back a memory using a hippocampus implant. (monkey)

You further managed to transfer the memory from a donor to a recipient, effectively transferring the method to solve a task from rats that learnt it to rats that haven't.

=O
Stories:
Time is Like a River - consistent time travel to the hilt
A Hero's War
Tensei Simulator build 18 - A python RPG

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:35 am UTC

jseah wrote:Hrm, what do we have here, Mr Sam Deadwyler?

You have managed to record and play back a memory using a hippocampus implant. (monkey)

You further managed to transfer the memory from a donor to a recipient, effectively transferring the method to solve a task from rats that learnt it to rats that haven't.

=O

Total Recall here we come!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:38 pm UTC

I helped out at the booth at the Royal Society's summer exhibition when we were just starting out with the proto-prototype of these glasses. Cool to see how well it's working now :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27768890
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:47 pm UTC

Super cool.

Return to “News & Articles”