Couple Found Guilty of Murder, followed parenting book

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Couple Found Guilty of Murder, followed parenting book

Postby morriswalters » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:But it hasn't sold 800,000 copies. Only 9000 copies have been sold; the rest are given away. That is, most of the people who have this book don't necessarily use it. And this is the reported deaths, it doesn't include deaths that were covered up. It also does not include the tens of thousands of kids that were tortured as a result of this book.
By definition if they are covered up then you can't know they have happened. As to the tens of thousands, unless I misunderstand, you are saying that at least 10,000 children have been "tortured". I don't doubt this is true, but can you demonstrate those numbers in relationship to that book? Perhaps rather than worry about a book that has limited penetration, would society and those children be better served by making corporal punishment illegal period, as in the case of Sweden?

User avatar
Cleverbeans
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

Re: Couple Found Guilty of Murder, followed parenting book

Postby Cleverbeans » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Perhaps rather than worry about a book that has limited penetration, would society and those children be better served by making corporal punishment illegal period, as in the case of Sweden?


I tend to agree with this idea. It's stupid that we outlaw violence except when it's against children.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6896
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: Couple Found Guilty of Murder, followed parenting book

Postby ucim » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Perhaps rather than worry about a book that has limited penetration, would society and those children be better served by making corporal punishment illegal period, as in the case of Sweden?
Does Sweden distinguish between a light tap on the behind and a beating with a stick that breaks the kids hip bones?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10338
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Couple Found Guilty of Murder, followed parenting book

Postby addams » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Cleverbeans wrote:
morriswalters wrote:Perhaps rather than worry about a book that has limited penetration, would society and those children be better served by making corporal punishment illegal period, as in the case of Sweden?


I tend to agree with this idea. It's stupid that we outlaw violence except when it's against children.

Alright! That is three of us!
Now; It's a law. right?

Of course, there is a difference between a love pat and a beating.
Europeans are not are constrained by law from touching their children.

Of course, when FOX News gets done with the Law, it will prevent any mother from touching any child after the umbilicus is cut.
You may thing FOX News and The Onion are the same thing. I don't. I think the Onion is well written, sometimes.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10550
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Couple Found Guilty of Murder, followed parenting book

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:46 am UTC

Make that 4. Whatever is a crime against an adult is a crime against a child. Well, I could be wrong but I doubt it.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Couple Found Guilty of Murder, followed parenting book

Postby morriswalters » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:16 am UTC

ucim wrote:
morriswalters wrote:Perhaps rather than worry about a book that has limited penetration, would society and those children be better served by making corporal punishment illegal period, as in the case of Sweden?
Does Sweden distinguish between a light tap on the behind and a beating with a stick that breaks the kids hip bones?

Jose
If I read it correctly the ban is total. Here is a link.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6896
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: Couple Found Guilty of Murder, followed parenting book

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:53 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:If I read it correctly the ban [on corporal punishment in Sweden] is total. Here is a link.
I suppose it depends on the definition of "corporal punishment" but if it really includes a light tap on the behind of a two-year-old who cannot understand "no, you shouldn't put a fork into the electrical outlet because it will close an electrical circuit, causing electrons to flow from the negative end (or is it the positive end - I forgot how it works for AC*) and the resulting heating could cause a fire, and also if you are also touching something else (I'm not sure how conductive it has to be) some of that electricity could go through your own body, causing your heart to stop... oh yeah, "heart", that's an organ that pumps blood through your body to keep... you need blood to carry food and oxygen to the cells in your... oxygen - it's an element, oh, never mind, it's "air" for all practical purposes. Anyway, it's really not a good idea to put a fork into those holes, and I'd really appreciate it if you didn't do that."...

I suppose Murphy will take care of it all eventually.

Jose
*Actually I do know how it works for AC, but while I'm explaining it to my two-year-old, my three year old is climbing up onto the window sill. I'm not sure I want to get into the laws of gravity and how the rapid deceleration could spoil her day, I just want her to GET DOWN! NOW!
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4585
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Couple Found Guilty of Murder, followed parenting book

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:00 am UTC

ucim wrote:
morriswalters wrote:If I read it correctly the ban [on corporal punishment in Sweden] is total. Here is a link.
I suppose it depends on the definition of "corporal punishment" but if it really includes a light tap on the behind of a two-year-old who cannot understand "no, you shouldn't put a fork into the electrical outlet because it will close an electrical circuit, causing electrons to flow from the negative end (or is it the positive end - I forgot how it works for AC*) and the resulting heating could cause a fire, and also if you are also touching something else (I'm not sure how conductive it has to be) some of that electricity could go through your own body, causing your heart to stop... oh yeah, "heart", that's an organ that pumps blood through your body to keep... you need blood to carry food and oxygen to the cells in your... oxygen - it's an element, oh, never mind, it's "air" for all practical purposes. Anyway, it's really not a good idea to put a fork into those holes, and I'd really appreciate it if you didn't do that."...

I suppose Murphy will take care of it all eventually.

Jose
*Actually I do know how it works for AC, but while I'm explaining it to my two-year-old, my three year old is climbing up onto the window sill. I'm not sure I want to get into the laws of gravity and how the rapid deceleration could spoil her day, I just want her to GET DOWN! NOW!


The Swedes have had the ban in place for forty years. Dozens of other countries around the world have similar laws. They don't seem to have a higher incidence of these sorts of accidents. Though, in Sweden they use different style electrical outlets that you can't really stick a fork into anyway.

Regardless, strictly speaking, what you are referring to here isn't really what would normally be called "corporal punishment", because it isn't, you know, punishment.

User avatar
PeteP
What the peck?
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Re: Couple Found Guilty of Murder, followed parenting book

Postby PeteP » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:10 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
The Swedes have had the ban in place for forty years. Dozens of other countries around the world have similar laws. They don't seem to have a higher incidence of these sorts of accidents. Though, in Sweden they use different style electrical outlets that you can't really stick a fork into anyway.

Regardless, strictly speaking, what you are referring to here isn't really what would normally be called "corporal punishment", because it isn't, you know, punishment.

Can you actually do that with US sockets? I always assumed the talk about putting forks in outlets was people making up a random danger without thinking about how you would do it. I mean our sockets have two small holes if the fork hat the right wide and I removed the inner two prongs it might work, but otherwise I could at most try to stab it through the plastic. Is it easier with the US style?

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10338
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Couple Found Guilty of Murder, followed parenting book

Postby addams » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:45 am UTC

PeteP wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:
The Swedes have had the ban in place for forty years. Dozens of other countries around the world have similar laws. They don't seem to have a higher incidence of these sorts of accidents. Though, in Sweden they use different style electrical outlets that you can't really stick a fork into anyway.
Regardless, strictly speaking, what you are referring to here isn't really what would normally be called "corporal punishment", because it isn't, you know, punishment.

Can you actually do that with US sockets? I always assumed the talk about putting forks in outlets was people making up a random danger without thinking about how you would do it. I mean our sockets have two small holes if the fork hat the right wide and I removed the inner two prongs it might work, but otherwise I could at most try to stab it through the plastic. Is it easier with the US style?

US style modern electric is very safe.
There are circuit breakers on everything.

Many of the machines have circuit breakers.
The outlets have circuit breakers.
There are circuit breakers at the Box, where the power comes into the building and is broken down for use.

There was a time a long time ago, when we had fuses and we often overrode the system.

(pennies added to useless fuses to allow current without a safety mechanism)

Back in the bad old days, children and adults did get shocked; Some fatally.
I got shocked. It was shocking. And; It hurt. Children and adults would do stupid shit.

We have a strange long memory, as a species.
We, Americans, almost remember a danger that has not existed for more than half a century.

Keeping the forks out of the toaster will preserve the heating wires inside the toaster.
If it is required to lie to people to keep the forks out of the toaster, Well......?

I know it is not nice to lie. But; But, but..Fear does motivate people to behave themselves, sometimes.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.