What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyone?

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Max™

Re: What’s the best piece of advice you could give to everyo

Postby Max™ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:44 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Oh, of course, ping pong at parties. That's why there are ping pong balls on the beer aisle in Kalamazoo. Because people bring beer to parties, and they also play ping-pong at parties!

Hmmm, wonder if we could find a way to combine the two?

Pingbeer!
mu

RoberII

Postby RoberII » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:00 am UTC

On chess and parties:

There is a variation of chess called The Philosopher's Chess. I believe they play it quite a bit in the Philosophy department in Aarhus, Denmark, hence its name.

The rules are simple: You drink while you think.

As for my advice to people:
Always make the decision you will regret the least. And mistakes aren't always regrets.
IcedT wrote:Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.

I write poetry!

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:35 am UTC

This may seem like more than one piece of advice but they are all connected
Always be prepared to reassess your opinions/accept that you may be wrong/don't assume people that don't share your opinions are stupid/discuss, do not argue and don't bring emotion into the discussion at all, trust logic and experience.

Basically every time you have a conversation or discussion where opinions clash, don't get angry by the fact, listen to your opponent, and don't feel like you are defeated if your opponent makes a good point. Take everything you hear or read on board. if you believe something someone has said is stupid or wrong, don't get angry, be polite and informative.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:49 pm UTC

Blackdomino wrote:Wear sunscreen.
Well played.

Advice: Treat everyone as they would like to be treated. If you can't find out what that is, treat them as you would like to be treated unless they tell you otherwise.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

bantler

Postby bantler » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:Always be prepared to reassess your opinions/accept that you may be wrong/don't assume people that don't share your opinions are stupid/discuss, do not argue and don't bring emotion into the discussion at all, trust logic and experience.
Basically every time you have a conversation or discussion where opinions clash, don't get angry by the fact, listen to your opponent, and don't feel like you are defeated if your opponent makes a good point. Take everything you hear or read on board. if you believe something someone has said is stupid or wrong, don't get angry, be polite and informative.

You’d make a terrible Republican.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

bantler wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:Always be prepared to reassess your opinions/accept that you may be wrong/don't assume people that don't share your opinions are stupid/discuss, do not argue and don't bring emotion into the discussion at all, trust logic and experience.

You’d make a terrible Republican.

Here's some advice: stop stereotyping and saying ignorant, negative things about groups of people. Seriously.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

He should have said "terrible politician", and it's ok to stereotype them, they aren't people. :P
mu

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:14 pm UTC

"have you tried turning it off and on again"

seriously. it fixes 99% of tech problems. Someone with no other tech knowledge can become the office "computer person" with it alone.

I sometimes even have to catch myself and remind myself to try this, even when I'm sure it won't work because often it does work.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:He should have said "terrible politician", and it's ok to stereotype them, they aren't people. :P

Oh, that advice was given to him for a lot more things than just that statement. And a politician at at least as much of a person as a corporation is.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Max™ wrote:He should have said "terrible politician", and it's ok to stereotype them, they aren't people. :P

Oh, that advice was given to him for a lot more things than just that statement. And a politician at at least as much of a person as a corporation is.

A hollow, empty, soulless shell that we all smile and pretend is a real person?

You might have a point.

bantler

Postby bantler » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

With a bit of focus and 10 diligent days, you can be better at most anything than most anyone.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:14 pm UTC

bantler wrote:With a bit of focus and 10 diligent days, you can be better at most anything than most anyone.

Assuming you mean what I think you mean, this is not true.

But if you basically mean "most people really suck at most things" that's true.

bantler

Postby bantler » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:18 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
bantler wrote:With a bit of focus and 10 diligent days, you can be better at most anything than most anyone.

Assuming you mean what I think you mean, this is not true.

But if you basically mean "most people really suck at most things" that's true.

Most people could easily crack well into the planetary top 1% at most anything in 10 days.
Even if you only include able-bodies.

induction

Postby induction » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:57 pm UTC

Probably true for certain values of 'most', considering the number of people who will never have done whatever you're talking about before. There are about 7 billion people on the planet, so you would only have to crack the top 70 million. This amounts to what Po6ept said, but doesn't actually sound like advice.

If you're saying that you can be world-class at pretty much anything in 10 days, I'm gonna have to disagree.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

Quoth the Wikipedia page on Outliers (book)

A common theme that appears throughout Outliers is the "10,000-Hour Rule", based on a study by Anders Ericsson. Gladwell claims that greatness requires enormous time, using the source of The Beatles' musical talents and Gates' computer savvy as examples.[3] The Beatles performed live in Hamburg, Germany over 1,200 times from 1960 to 1964, amassing more than 10,000 hours of playing time, therefore meeting the 10,000-Hour Rule. Gladwell asserts that all of the time The Beatles spent performing shaped their talent, and quotes Beatles' biographer Philip Norman as saying, "So by the time they returned to England from Hamburg, Germany, 'they sounded like no one else. It was the making of them.'"[3] Gates met the 10,000-Hour Rule when he gained access to a high school computer in 1968 at the age of 13, and spent 10,000 hours programming on it.[3]

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

bantler wrote:Most people could easily crack well into the planetary top 1% at most anything in 10 days.
Even if you only include able-bodies.

This is...remarkably true. Learning things to a basically competent level is a lot less hard than many people make it out to be. Consider my favorite example, programming. Cracking the top 1% should not be very difficult, as the vast majority of people don't know how to code at all....and there's a surplus of books that purport to teach you how to code a language in x days(for small numbers of x). Realistically, there's a TON of free stuff online that's probably better, but either way, you can be a pretty decent coder for basic stuff in a week or two. You're not gonna understand complex theories, a lot of the funky data structures, langauge specific stuff, etc...but cmon, that stuff gets used relatively infrequently anyway. 90%+ of the stuff is remarkably basic.

Hell, you might be able to boost that to the top .1% or so for most skills.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:17 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

I'm not sure how to take that.

bantler

Postby bantler » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Hell, you might be able to boost that to the top .1% or so for most skills.

At the very least 10 days will get you over the hump of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2 ... ger_effect

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:42 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

Corporations and politicians are wrongly considered people over here in the US.
mu

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

Sort of. I still sadly cannot vote for Google for president.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:15 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:
Роберт wrote:

The bit I wasn't sure how to take is now bolded for clarity. I was wondering what other things I had said or done that makes Роберт think I'd be a terrible politician, and I'm hoping they are because I'm too nice, but there are other less nice reasons to make a terrible politician, like being evil.

In other words I hope he means terrible as in unsuccessful, not terrible as in evil.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:
Роберт wrote:

The bit I wasn't sure how to take is now bolded for clarity. I was wondering what other things I had said or done that makes Роберт think I'd be a terrible politician, and I'm hoping they are because I'm too nice, but there are other less nice reasons to make a terrible politician, like being evil.

Ummm... I was talking to bantler about stereotyping people. I wasn't saying you'd make a terrible politician.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:
Роберт wrote:

In other words I hope he means terrible as in unsuccessful, not terrible as in evil.

Evil is sort of a prerequisite for being a good politician, isn't it?

Good advice: don't be evil.
mu

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:Evil is sort of a prerequisite for being a good politician, isn't it?

Good advice: don't be evil.

Ah, so that's why I can't vote for Google.

The Synologist

Postby The Synologist » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

Never allow yourself to have 100% belief of anything.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:56 am UTC

boXd wrote:
krogoth wrote:Taste a meal, before salting it.

No no no, you have it all wrong, buddy. :wink: (I do actually agree with the premise of that comic.)
The advice you should take from that comic is "advance your culinary skills to the point where your food is seasoned correctly more than one meal in a thousand".

Sorry to reply to such an old post, but I really couldn't let that go.

Anyhow, here's my generally applicable piece of advice:

You will probably, at some point in your life, learn a difficult skill with a large creative component to it. Something like music or writing or computer programming or chess. If you're anything like me, you'll probably be fascinated by the way that people who are very good at those things put their fingerprints on their work, so to speak. There will probably be an urge to develop your own signature style, so that people who see your work will say "Hey, look at [those features]! That's classic [your name]; (she|he) always does [whatever] that way."

Don't do that. Whatever skill it is you're learning, there are a million basic skills that you have to be very, very good at before anybody gives half a damn about your 'fingerprints'. I'm not saying don't experiment, but at the sub-expert level your focus should be getting all those million little things right. Make that your signature style.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

thalia

Postby thalia » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:18 am UTC

Blackdomino wrote:Wear sunscreen.

I was waiting for this :wink:

Here's mine, and I'm very, very serious about it:

Don't smoke.
One of these days.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:02 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Sort of. I still sadly cannot vote for Google for president.

Hahahaha! It's funny because he believes in democracy. Google's an autocratic hivemind, your silly notions of public representation are useless.

In regards to advice:
The person responsible for your welfare is you. Not your parents, not your boss, not the government. Life can throw you curveballs, but in the end it's you that has to make due. The less you rely on others for the solutions to your problems and the more you rely on your own skills and abilities, the less you'll be left disappointed and SOL. You have a brain, use it.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

Velexia

Postby Velexia » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:11 pm UTC

Fall in love with everyone and everything (start with yourself). Which can be shortened to "Fall in love with the universe." (But that could be misunderstood).
Hail Eris!

addams

Postby addams » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:13 pm UTC

The Threes:
(to do.)

1. Be Simple.
2. Be Obvious.
3. Be Elegant.

(to be)

1. Be Usefull.
2. Be Loveable.
3. Belong to somebody.

Now; Go outside and play.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

XTCamus

Postby XTCamus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

Do be do be do.

Spoiler:
But mostly just be. Yourself.

selfassembled

Postby selfassembled » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:59 pm UTC

The best piece of advice I can give to a certain kind of person, one not too rare on an internet forum I expect, is to completely give up watching porn, and to stop masturbating. It's a really difficult climb for some who've had the habit for years, but once on the other side you will notice significant improvements in your physique and demeanor. A lot of my depression actually seems to have been caused by the crash experienced whenever I wasn't doing that. After a month or so, I have more energy to exercise and think, and my performance in bed is much better.

I really don't think it's a very natural behavior, even though many say it is, I'm also sure it isn't natural when combined with porn.

boXd

Postby boXd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

selfassembled wrote:[...]

I'm not buying any of this.

selfassembled

Postby selfassembled » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:10 pm UTC

Try it and find out. There are reputable papers proving it decreases sperm count, testosterone levels, testosterone reception, and increases estrogen reception. Many of these effects act directly on our brains and muscles. I have been shaving twice as often since I stopped, the clearest example of things, I also gained a bit of weight (I've always been underweight.) As for performance in bed, I get erections whenever I hear my girlfriend's voice now, it translates well to bed.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:50 pm UTC

At the very least, it could be an interesting learning experience.

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying something relatively harmless! Assuming that it will always be relatively harmless (or assuming that it will always be beneficial) is where the problems start.

boXd

Postby boXd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:20 pm UTC

selfassembled wrote:Try it and find out. There are reputable papers proving it decreases sperm count, testosterone levels, testosterone reception, and increases estrogen reception. Many of these effects act directly on our brains and muscles. I have been shaving twice as often since I stopped, the clearest example of things, I also gained a bit of weight (I've always been underweight.) As for performance in bed, I get erections whenever I hear my girlfriend's voice now, it translates well to bed.

Ok, so what I'm writing below is slightly TMI, but...

I didn't masturbate until I turned 18, and I can easily say that I was far more stressed then than I am now. (And there's much more going on in my life now) As for testosterone and all that, *looks at his body hair* yeah, I think I'm fine. Not to mention that if I don't masturbate for a few days, I'll just have a wet dream to get the stuff out. Of course, I can see the wisdom in not masturbating ten minutes before having sex, but for most healthy young guys there shouldn't be much of a problem otherwise.

Not saying it's harmful to try to abstain from masturbating, but beside it being generally accepted as a healthy thing, I don't really see the point.

XTCamus

Postby XTCamus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:29 pm UTC

I am curious whether we see these same negative consequences for men who have sex with their partners at the same frequecy? Or is this just a weird woo-powered effect, where the body somehow knows when it is having real sex? Do you think there are similar negative effects for female self-diddlers?

addams

Postby addams » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:24 am UTC

XTCamus wrote:Do be do be do.

Spoiler:
But mostly just be. Yourself.

Be Yourself, assumes that the listener is a fine human being.

It is not always true. There are people that do not like themselves.
These people know.

For those people: Be A Better You!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:59 am UTC

boXd wrote:Not to mention that if I don't masturbate for a few days, I'll just have a wet dream to get the stuff out.

I tried not knowing myself for about three months when I moved into a dorm. I eventually decided it was less troublesome to try and find alone time than it was to discretely change my underwear in the morning without my roommate or floormates noticing (there was only a group bathroom) every couple of weeks.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

Return to “Serious Business”