Secrets

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

delfts

Secrets

Postby delfts » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

A friend told me some time back that he thought there should be no secrets. I first thought he meant that the government and other large, prominent groups should allow everyone access to everything they hide from us -- which I understand. However, he proceeded to explain that he meant there should be no secrets at all -- everyone should be able to gain as much information about anyone or anything at any time. The way I think of it is just like in an MMO, where you can scroll your mouse over another character and see his stats (his name, his level, the guild to which he belongs, a personal message, etc.) -- except that you can see every single detail about that person. Nothing would be hidden. You could see everything from what that person had for breakfast that morning to everyone he's slept with.

I thought this would be problematic. There are many things that people keep secret (or, rather, don't reveal), because they're 1. too minute, 2. too personal or taboo, or 3. too self-demeaning. My friend argued that if everyone could know anything about anyone, we could sift through all the trivial details, nothing would be considered taboo or embarrassing, and we would strive to do better so as not to incriminate ourselves (or perhaps we'd just learn to accept that no one can get away with a completely life record, which would be better, too).

I see his point, but I'm still unsure about the advantages and disadvantages and how they compare. It may be interesting to perform a social experiment in which a secret-free environment is set up to see how people interact with one another and how they grow.

What do you think about secrets? Does my friend have a good idea?
My blog about a bunch of random ideas, which are pretty darn interesting.

curtis95112

Re: Secrets

Postby curtis95112 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

The completely unrestricted sharing of all information would turn us into a hive mind. (Assuming that enough information would have us thinking in the same way, of course. This is disputable but I think we would settle into that phase with enough time spent with perfect information.)
While a hive mind would do everything better, I kind of value my individuality.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

i think your friend is a dunce.

banking information is something we keep secret, because we like other people not taking our money out of our accounts. so simply removing the secret here (your pin number or cc number etc...) wouldn't fix any issues regarding people stealing your shit. all of society would have to NOT desire taking other people's shit...which we know is not the case

medical information is kept secret for a lot of reasons, not least of which being people's reactions to finding out other people are sick. ostrasizing people because they don't want to catch whatever it is, etc...
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

cephron

Postby cephron » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

I think it's also a bit of a moot point. Die gedanken sind frei - people can always keep secrets in their thoughts. I imagine we would instinctively keep secrets from anyone we don't trust absolutely.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:i think your friend is a dunce.

banking information is something we keep secret, because we like other people not taking our money out of our accounts. so simply removing the secret here (your pin number or cc number etc...) wouldn't fix any issues regarding people stealing your shit. all of society would have to NOT desire taking other people's shit...which we know is not the case

medical information is kept secret for a lot of reasons, not least of which being people's reactions to finding out other people are sick. ostrasizing people because they don't want to catch whatever it is, etc...
I disagree with the banking point - we would know that the person stole and so we would easily put the robbers behind bars. This brings up an interesting point about crime. If a crime is committed, it could only because the person reasons that the benefits outweigh the punishment (or they are just irrational). Detective work would basically be replaced by a much more nuanced judicial system.

As for the medical information - I doubt anyone would be ostracized over a medical condition, in a world where everyone knows every horrible thing everyone's ever done. People would have a much different opinion on what is taboo.

Obviously it's a moot point but it's interesting to think about alternate realities.
-Adam

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

This is basically the "wouldn't universal mind reading be awesome?" thread.
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
DSenette wrote:i think your friend is a dunce.

I disagree with the banking point - we would know that the person stole and so we would easily put the robbers behind bars. This brings up an interesting point about crime. If a crime is committed, it could only because the person reasons that the benefits outweigh the punishment (or they are just irrational). Detective work would basically be replaced by a much more nuanced judicial system.

As for the medical information - I doubt anyone would be ostracized over a medical condition, in a world where everyone knows every horrible thing everyone's ever done. People would have a much different opinion on what is taboo.

Obviously it's a moot point but it's interesting to think about alternate realities.

but it wouldn't be theft. you gave the person your account information.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

I think this topic was explored quite well in "The Light of Other Days", actually. Not so much mind reading, there, as the ability to literally view anything that happened anywhere in the past.

And yes, assuming we had a way to enforce transparency, the bank details think would be silly. The point of a PIN is to make sure you aren't lying to the bank about your identity - if everything was open to them, it would be unnecessary.

Obviously enforcement would be difficult - having more information publicly available about makes it easier for others to put on that false face.

Personally, I think maximum transparency is a great goal, but we are not really advanced enough socially for it yet. It hides symptoms while letting the diseases of society flourish... but we are making progress.

Personally, the only secrets I have are related to security - a defense against the dishonesty of others, if you will. But I understand for people in different positions, its simply not possible to operate that way.

but it wouldn't be theft. you gave the person your account information.

I fail to see how the ability to successfully pretend they are you would make it not stealing. Explain.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

curtis95112 wrote:The completely unrestricted sharing of all information would turn us into a hive mind. (Assuming that enough information would have us thinking in the same way, of course.)

Yes, if we make the assumption that enough information will turn us into a hive mind, then enough information will turn us into a hive mind.

I do get what you're saying (the question of "are different thoughts/decisions merely the result of having different information available on which to base them?"), but assuming the conclusion isn't particularly useful for trying to prove a statement.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

Griffin wrote:Obviously enforcement would be difficult - having more information publicly available about makes it easier for others to put on that false face.
I interpret the question such that it would be literally impossible to put on a false face, because that means keeping your real face a secret.

Enforcement would be trivial in the OP's hypothetical world, I think. Anyone could report a crime, and they couldn't lie about it. And as soon as you saw a person you would know if they committed a crime.

DSenette wrote:but it wouldn't be theft. you gave the person your account information.
Then make it illegal to use other people's account information (if it isn't already a crime).
-Adam

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:34 am UTC

Adam H wrote:As for the medical information - I doubt anyone would be ostracized over a medical condition, in a world where everyone knows every horrible thing everyone's ever done. People would have a much different opinion on what is taboo.

Haters gonna hate is not a meaningless and sourceless phrase. Some people just hate, that's the way it is. I am pretty sure that there is still AIDS discrimination in the US, and the discriminators and haters know how some people with AIDS may have gotten it. There are still people out there who categorize people who have AIDS as having caught it in an innocent fashion or a guilty fashion. So yeah, ostracism happens, it is very real, and not uncommon, and not just with AIDS. That was just one of many potential examples.

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:37 am UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:
curtis95112 wrote:The completely unrestricted sharing of all information would turn us into a hive mind. (Assuming that enough information would have us thinking in the same way, of course.)

Yes, if we make the assumption that enough information will turn us into a hive mind, then enough information will turn us into a hive mind.

I do get what you're saying (the question of "are different thoughts/decisions merely the result of having different information available on which to base them?"), but assuming the conclusion isn't particularly useful for trying to prove a statement.

Point taken.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:

masher

Postby masher » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:06 am UTC

DSenette wrote:but it wouldn't be theft. you gave the person your account information.

There is a difference between giving someone your account details and giving them permission to use those details.

delfts

Postby delfts » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

I spoke to my friend and brought up the bank account pin number point, and he said that stuff like passwords and pin numbers would be kept secret, but information about the account (ex. how much someone has in an account/earns annually/took out two days ago) would be public.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

Your friend isn't very consistent.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

What about military secrets? For example, the plans and details of the Osama Bin Laden mission. If all the information was public, we wouldn't have been able to take him out.

Furthermore, it is difficult to force enemies to tell us their secrets. If we are a secret-less society, then our enemies have all of the military advantages of secrets, while we won't. It'd be an unfair advantage to our enemies.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

delfts wrote:A friend told me some time back that he thought there should be no secrets. I first thought he meant that the government and other large, prominent groups should allow everyone access to everything they hide from us -- which I understand. However, he proceeded to explain that he meant there should be no secrets at all -- everyone should be able to gain as much information about anyone or anything at any time. The way I think of it is just like in an MMO, where you can scroll your mouse over another character and see his stats (his name, his level, the guild to which he belongs, a personal message, etc.) -- except that you can see every single detail about that person. Nothing would be hidden. You could see everything from what that person had for breakfast that morning to everyone he's slept with.

I thought this would be problematic. There are many things that people keep secret (or, rather, don't reveal), because they're 1. too minute, 2. too personal or taboo, or 3. too self-demeaning. My friend argued that if everyone could know anything about anyone, we could sift through all the trivial details, nothing would be considered taboo or embarrassing, and we would strive to do better so as not to incriminate ourselves (or perhaps we'd just learn to accept that no one can get away with a completely life record, which would be better, too).

I see his point, but I'm still unsure about the advantages and disadvantages and how they compare. It may be interesting to perform a social experiment in which a secret-free environment is set up to see how people interact with one another and how they grow.

I think that your friend has a point. I also think that we have this, now.

It is called friendship. As a friendship develops more and more is exposed.

Some friendships develop, quickly. Some friendships develop, slowly.

Some friendships don't develop at all.

You are fortunate to have such an open and thoughtful friend.
This person sounds like a lot of fun.

That friend makes you think. That friend inspired you to begin this thread. Lucky you.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:What about military secrets? For example, the plans and details of the Osama Bin Laden mission. If all the information was public, we wouldn't have been able to take him out.

Furthermore, it is difficult to force enemies to tell us their secrets. If we are a secret-less society, then our enemies have all of the military advantages of secrets, while we won't. It'd be an unfair advantage to our enemies.

"Unfair Advantage"?

Child, part of warfare is piling "unfair" advantage on top of "unfair" advantage. More troops, better training, better intelligence, better equipment, better tactics. More defensible positions, stronger allies, less vulnerable supply trains. Attack where your enemy is weakest, while not letting him do the same. Defeat the enemy before you even face him on the field, if you can. Break the morale and the enemy's will to fight; failing that, break their ability to fight.

Had you said "advantage" instead of "unfair advantage", I world not have been so harsh.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:What about military secrets? For example, the plans and details of the Osama Bin Laden mission. If all the information was public, we wouldn't have been able to take him out.

"Unfair Advantage"?

Child, part of warfare is piling "unfair" advantage on top of "unfair" advantage. More troops, better training, better intelligence, better equipment, better tactics. More defensible positions, stronger allies, less vulnerable supply trains. Attack where your enemy is weakest, while not letting him do the same. Defeat the enemy before you even face him on the field, if you can. Break the morale and the enemy's will to fight; failing that, break their ability to fight.

Had you said "advantage" instead of "unfair advantage", I world not have been so harsh.

Agreed. The word "unfair" was inappropriate. Nonetheless, my point remains the same.

Why deprive our troops of the intelligence advantage? Prevent our enemies from knowing our plans. Secrets play a key role in that.

aoeu

Postby aoeu » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:30 pm UTC

delfts wrote:I see his point, but I'm still unsure about the advantages and disadvantages and how they compare. It may be interesting to perform a social experiment in which a secret-free environment is set up to see how people interact with one another and how they grow.

Your friend may have a good idea but will he ever have a realistic way to implement it? A lot depends on what future technology will be like. If it can be trivially used to cause massive harm then there must be a good deal of secrecy.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

aoeu wrote:
delfts wrote:I see his point, but I'm still unsure about the advantages and disadvantages and how they compare. It may be interesting to perform a social experiment in which a secret-free environment is set up to see how people interact with one another and how they grow.

Your friend may have a good idea but will he ever have a realistic way to implement it? A lot depends on what future technology will be like. If it can be trivially used to cause massive harm then there must be a good deal of secrecy.

Again, This is what friendships are. Right?

Oh. Then, the logical next step is these friends against those friends?

It is true that there are bad people in the world. Secrets and lies do not make us safer.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

MartianInvader

Postby MartianInvader » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Yeah, my main beef with a completely secretless society is that every fanatic and irrational lunatic knows how to make a nuclear bomb, knows where all security forces are stationed in all locations in the world, and where civilians are completely unprotected.

More importantly, poker wouldn't be fun anymore.
Let's have a fervent argument, mostly over semantics, where we all claim the burden of proof is on the other side!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:01 am UTC

MartianInvader wrote:More importantly, poker wouldn't be fun anymore.

Yeah it would! Well, at least to us Actuaries, Statisticians, and Mathematicians with a concentration in Probability.

Oh, and KnightExemplar, sorry about being a bit arrogant. Just that people complaining about fairness in warfare is a pet peeve of mine (unless it involves one side blatantly committing war-crimes).

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Yeah it would! Well, at least to us Actuaries, Statisticians, and Mathematicians with a concentration in Probability.

Have you tried this? It could be sort of "who's best at head-calucalting probalities" game, for those who enjoy that. But even assuming that would be fun, isn't it usually pretty clear who has the best cards, without much challenge?

MartianInvader wrote:Yeah, my main beef with a completely secretless society is that every fanatic and irrational lunatic knows how to make a nuclear bomb, knows where all security forces are stationed in all locations in the world, and where civilians are completely unprotected.

But people would also know that they are fanatics, and what their plans are, etc. A lot of security is only required because you do not know if, when or how people might want to challenge whatever you are securing.

A world completely without secrets would be very different from ours, and strategic concerns (as in, how should I act with respect to adversaries of any kind) in particular would be extremely different. I am not sure we can even imagine how it would be. But nearly every concern that we protect with secrecy is in some way also related to secrecy in other ways than its protection.

delfts

Postby delfts » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

Actually, my friend emphasized the importance of there being no military secrets. He argued that if everyone knew (for instance) everyone else's troop movements, we'd all be a lot more comfortable. He's definitely lampooning the whole concept of war here, and like you guys have said, he's vouching for world-wide friendship and trust. I think I have to agree on this point. Certainly, if everyone knew what everyone else was doing during times of war, there wouldn't be much of a point to having wars/they'd have to be had in a totally different -- perhaps civilized, which would be great -- way.

EDIT: I sort of ignored the second part of your post. Obviously, the whole idea is very quixotic, and you're right: if we tell the enemies our secrets (which, at this point, I don't think is going to happen any time soon), they're not going to feel obligated to tell us theirs.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Yeah it would! Well, at least to us Actuaries, Statisticians, and Mathematicians with a concentration in Probability.

Have you tried this? It could be sort of "who's best at head-calucalting probalities" game, for those who enjoy that. But even assuming that would be fun, isn't it usually pretty clear who has the best cards, without much challenge?

I might have 60% odds to win, but if the pot is $50 and I raise $10 you shouldn't fold. But yeah, I see your point.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

delfts wrote:

Actually, my friend emphasized the importance of there being no military secrets. He argued that if everyone knew (for instance) everyone else's troop movements, we'd all be a lot more comfortable. He's definitely lampooning the whole concept of war here, and like you guys have said, he's vouching for world-wide friendship and trust. I think I have to agree on this point. Certainly, if everyone knew what everyone else was doing during times of war, there wouldn't be much of a point to having wars/they'd have to be had in a totally different -- perhaps civilized, which would be great -- way.

EDIT: I sort of ignored the second part of your post. Obviously, the whole idea is very quixotic, and you're right: if we tell the enemies our secrets (which, at this point, I don't think is going to happen any time soon), they're not going to feel obligated to tell us theirs.

When countries are open about what they do and why they're doing it, it is called diplomacy. And we all want more diplomacy. The United Nations was set up to prevent any more World Wars, because as long as countries are communicating with each other, hopefully situations can be diffused before a world war becomes necessary.

Its currently working... (a little slowly... but working nonetheless) with the Russians and Chinese. But some groups, such as Al Queda do not negotiate, they do not reason, they do not do diplomacy. And thus, we have war.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

A world without secrets is a very, very bad idea, in my opinion. A world without secrets is one in which you cannot run from your own past, should you choose to do so, for everybody you meet will know whatever it is you would like to put behind you. A world without secrets would also make it trivially easy for a repressive dictatorship to crush any resistance movement before it got off the ground. There would be no hope for revolution under such a system if it became necessary. And there are a host of other reasons I don't have time to go into here.

In fact, I believe that the freedom to use strong encryption should be protected just as strongly as the freedom of speech, but that's a different debate.

aoeu

Postby aoeu » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

scarecrovv wrote:A world without secrets is a very, very bad idea, in my opinion. A world without secrets is one in which you cannot run from your own past, should you choose to do so, for everybody you meet will know whatever it is you would like to put behind you. A world without secrets would also make it trivially easy for a repressive dictatorship to crush any resistance movement before it got off the ground. There would be no hope for revolution under such a system if it became necessary. And there are a host of other reasons I don't have time to go into here.

In fact, I believe that the freedom to use strong encryption should be protected just as strongly as the freedom of speech, but that's a different debate.

Information works in favor of a revolution. It's hard to organize if you don't know anybody else and can't get your message out there.

maxmillean

Postby maxmillean » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:15 am UTC

delfts wrote:Actually, my friend emphasized the importance of there being no military secrets. He argued that if everyone knew (for instance) everyone else's troop movements, we'd all be a lot more comfortable. He's definitely lampooning the whole concept of war here, and like you guys have said, he's vouching for world-wide friendship and trust. I think I have to agree on this point. Certainly, if everyone knew what everyone else was doing during times of war, there wouldn't be much of a point to having wars/they'd have to be had in a totally different -- perhaps civilized, which would be great -- way.

I feel like if everyone knew each others troop movements would be like having the generals/strategists playing a game of Risk with real people. Yes you know the troop movements, but you do not know what the person is planning....that is unless one person has been planning this for some time, which would then make that plan a secret and thus known to everyone. So pretty much battle strategy would be a lot of quick decisions based off what the enemy is doing ATM.

As for people's personal secrets, until the time comes where there is no prejudice against anything then a person will have to keep secrets. Even friends may have to keep secrets from each other in fear of that friendship being tore apart due to a difference in beliefs (I know this for a fact as I am in the middle of one of these situations which has been working out fine).
"We have choices. Some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free."
"This is not the end, this isn't even the beginning of the end. What we have may just be the end of the beginning."

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:07 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote: But some groups, such as Al Queda do not negotiate, they do not reason, they do not do diplomacy. And thus, we have war.

Well, that's certainly not the _only_ reason we have war.
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 am UTC

Reasons for war

1) Group A or their leaders wants more resources*, and thinks it can get them cheaper by stealing from Group B than by working and trading for them.
2) ???

*Farmland, women, water, workers, oil, copper, tin, bat-shit, iron, gold/silver, trade routes, tourism, have all been reasons for war.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:09 am UTC

Leader A thinks he gain get more power, personally, by using some foreign group as a convenient scapegoat, and wars are good ways to rally and unite the base under their leadership.

Leader B thinks Group C is a potential threat, and wants to eliminate them before they have a chance to do more damage.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:18 am UTC

Griffin wrote:Leader A thinks he gain get more power, personally, by using some foreign group as a convenient scapegoat, and wars are good ways to rally and unite the base under their leadership.

Leader B thinks Group C is a potential threat, and wants to eliminate them before they have a chance to do more damage.

Quite sure that Leader A counts in my reason.

As for B, Group C is attacking because of the reasons I stated, so B are defending themselves. Or think they are, at least.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

maxmillean wrote:Yes you know the troop movements, but you do not know what the person is planning...
If we are still talking about the original hypothetical scenario, then you WOULD know what the other person is planning. THERE. ARE. NO. SECRETS.
-Adam

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
maxmillean wrote:Yes you know the troop movements, but you do not know what the person is planning...
If we are still talking about the original hypothetical scenario, then you WOULD know what the other person is planning. THERE. ARE. NO. SECRETS.

Well, that really depends on what you mean by "no secrets" though. Are we talking about some hypothetical means of actually forcing people (and nations) to always reveal the truth; or is this simply an agreement? If it's the latter, what is to prevent a person (or a nation) from keeping secrets anyway? How would you even know?

maxmillean

Postby maxmillean » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:20 am UTC

Adam H wrote:

Did you not read the rest of what I said??
"We have choices. Some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free."
"This is not the end, this isn't even the beginning of the end. What we have may just be the end of the beginning."

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

cphite wrote:Well, that really depends on what you mean by "no secrets" though. Are we talking about some hypothetical means of actually forcing people (and nations) to always reveal the truth; or is this simply an agreement? If it's the latter, what is to prevent a person (or a nation) from keeping secrets anyway? How would you even know?
I'm just going off the OP.
delfts wrote:everyone should be able to gain as much information about anyone or anything at any time... you can see every single detail about that person. Nothing would be hidden.

maxmillean wrote:Did you not read the rest of what I said??
I suppose you mean this...
maxmillean wrote:that is unless one person has been planning this for some time, which would then make that plan a secret and thus known to everyone.
But it would be a secret no matter how long he's been planning it...
-Adam

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 am UTC

delfts wrote:nothing would be considered taboo or embarrassing

I read this to mean that even our thoughts would be shared.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:56 am UTC

While "Sharing thoughts" is an interesting concept explored in some anime (Neon Genesis Evangeleon and Code Geass), I doubt that it applies to real life.

Return to “Serious Business”