is this the right place for a disability [safespace]?

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

12obin

is this the right place for a disability [safespace]?

Postby 12obin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:30 am UTC

If there is a better place for this thread, let me know and I will correct the situation. Or if this already exists.

For the purposes of this thread, I am using a social model definition. That doesn't mean you have to be into the social model, just that this is a space for people who would be considered disabled under the social model. i.e. You may be welcome even if you don't personally identify with the label of "disabled".

So that definition would be essentially, people who experience oppression, marginilization, or discrimination on the basis of their abilities. A non-exhaustive list of things this could include: physical impairment, mental illness, learning disabilities, chronic pain, chronic fatigue, chronic illness.

This can be a place for personal experiences, and for (reasonably friendly) discussion of disability theory/ politics/ justice. Just, I only care to discuss disability theory with disabled people.
Robin, she.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: is this the right place for a disability [safespace]?

Postby poxic » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:35 am UTC

There is a safespace thread for people with disabilities over here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38735

It hasn't been active for a while, but you can change that. (Post it and they will come. :D )
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

12obin

Postby 12obin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:45 am UTC

Roger that.
That one seemed to be geared towards day-to-day support, so I tentatively suggest that this could be more for political and theoretical discussion. Both are important and it might be not a bad idea to have them in separate places.
Robin, she.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:14 am UTC

Good point. Change the title?
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

12obin

Postby 12obin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:36 am UTC

I would like to and can't figure out how. I thought maybe that was beyond my powers. Do you know how?
Robin, she.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:07 pm UTC

12obin wrote:Roger that.
That one seemed to be geared towards day-to-day support, so I tentatively suggest that this could be more for political and theoretical discussion. Both are important and it might be not a bad idea to have them in separate places.

I doubt very seriously that [safespace] and 'political and theoretical discussion' could possibly coexist.

... and if you'd like a thread for 'political and theoretical discussion' you're going to need something to start the discussion beyond "let's have a thread for political and theoretical discussion of disability."

12obin

Postby 12obin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:44 pm UTC

Yeah I think by this forum's definition of [safespace] they can't coexist. It's just that that seems to be the only way to have an identity-based space. I don't actually want a [safespace] as it's defined here, just a space limited to people who are disabled. There's a difference between things getting heated amongst people who are affected by a thing, and things getting ridiculous because somebody who has nothing to do with anything decides to play devil's advocate. That was where I was at.
Robin, she.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:15 pm UTC

12obin wrote:Yeah I think by this forum's definition of [safespace] they can't coexist. It's just that that seems to be the only way to have an identity-based space. I don't actually want a [safespace] as it's defined here, just a space limited to people who are disabled. There's a difference between things getting heated amongst people who are affected by a thing, and things getting ridiculous because somebody who has nothing to do with anything decides to play devil's advocate. That was where I was at.

Safespace isn't...exactly that, to my understanding. The purpose isn't exclusionary, it's to avoid argumentative stuff. I believe it is a less "only these people can talk", and more "please be respectful". That's why it's at odds with your goal here.

Plus, there's bound to be edge cases, so a hard exclusion of non-disabled folks is probably difficult to define in any case. I'm certainly open to discussing political theory, etc regarding disabilities, but I do not think this is something that needs to be exclusive. In fact, doing so would likely cripple the discussion itself, or arguing over the exclusion could take it's place(ie, does such and such really count as disabled? What if you WERE disabled, but are not now?).

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:48 pm UTC

12obin wrote:... just a space limited to people who are disabled.

Well, that certainly isn't going to happen in this particular section.

Nor, honestly, should you expect that level of limitation in a thread placed in a more appropriate location (i.e. General or Dear SB). A [safespace] tag would create the most welcoming environment, but I doubt the staff here is going to support (or enforce, or allow enforcement of) that sort of exclusion.

EDIT: If anyone is still listening, I brought this up with the rest of the staff and there is no support for creating such spaces here.

Return to “Serious Business”