1146: "Honest"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6815
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

1146: "Honest"

Postby sardia » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:25 am UTC

Image
Alt text: I didn't understand what you meant. I still don't. But I'll figure it out soon!

A little sad, but it entertained me enough.

User avatar
Quicksilver
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:26 am UTC

Just fake it until you make it. You're only who you present yourself to be.

User avatar
rhomboidal
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:28 am UTC

Is that Tyler Durden on the left there...?

FourTael
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby FourTael » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:42 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Is that Tyler Durden on the left there...?


Two physicists.

mtavs
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:02 am UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby mtavs » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Well, either they're both dryly honest/humorous, or Tyler Durden is a jerk. I like the ambiguity. The alt-text, too.

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Klear » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 am UTC

- Let's be honest here...
- NO! I'm way too insecure for that.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:21 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Is that Tyler Durden on the left there...?


It really works in Brad Pitt's voice. can't get that out of my head now.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5487
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:26 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Just fake it until you make it. You're only who you present yourself to be.

Not necessarily.

I used to be who I really was, and I understood everything just fine without being confused or scared because everything was easy without really trying and bad times were temporary and everything was inevitably getting better.

Then good times became temporary and everything would go to complete hell unless I tried really hard all the time to frantically prop it all up with duck tape and twine, even though I'm scared and confused and don't understand anything anymore, so now I'm really nobody and just keep pretending to be somebody, like you say.

I think something broke along the way somewhere. I'd like to think it could be fixed some day, if I can figure out what it was, since it wasn't always like this.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

squonk
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby squonk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 am UTC

If you're too honest, people will think you have Asperger's. Or even that you're autistic.

nobleham
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:31 am UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby nobleham » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:32 am UTC

This comic, though good, makes the "Liar, Liar" mistake of confusing honesty with being forthcoming.

The Cat

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby The Cat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:38 am UTC

Has anyone ever met someone who always begins a statement with "Honestly"? It has been my experience that they aren't very honest.

I take "I mean, lets be Honest" differently. More of broaching a difficult subject often avoided.


I mean, lets be honest, chemical weapons are the nastiest things on earth.

or

Honestly, I didn't change my position for money. Honestly, I didn't leave the deuce floating in the toilet at the Rayburn House office building. Politicians work well for my analogy.
Last edited by The Cat on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:50 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

david_h
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby david_h » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:39 am UTC

I had to force a reload (Ctrl-F5) to get today's comic to show up - before that I just kept seeing Monday's. Anyone know why that would be? Not behind a proxy here. A bad cache setting last time I looked at it?

VanI
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:54 am UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby VanI » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:56 am UTC

david_h wrote:I had to force a reload (Ctrl-F5) to get today's comic to show up - before that I just kept seeing Monday's. Anyone know why that would be? Not behind a proxy here. A bad cache setting last time I looked at it?

Happens to me sometimes, too. It's just the cache.
I swear, a fireball lied to me just the other day...

toast
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:23 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby toast » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:27 pm UTC

This comic just took my breath away. It's so much what it's like to be me, most of the time. Especially including the mouseover text.

User avatar
a_fuzzyduck
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 pm UTC
Location: Clydebank
Contact:

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:03 pm UTC

squonk wrote:If you're too honest, people will think you have Asperger's. Or even that you're autistic.


and it will show up those people's own bigotry. basically. I have autism, and I'm gonna go ahead and sell t-shirts of this strip, I think.
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Klear » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:12 pm UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:
squonk wrote:If you're too honest, people will think you have Asperger's. Or even that you're autistic.


and it will show up those people's own bigotry. basically. I have autism, and I'm gonna go ahead and sell t-shirts of this strip, I think.


Wait, what is bigoted on correctly identifying that you have Asperger's / autism based on the awkward way you communicate? I would understand how somebody who doesn't have either could be offended, but this?

User avatar
a_fuzzyduck
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 pm UTC
Location: Clydebank
Contact:

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
a_fuzzyduck wrote:
squonk wrote:If you're too honest, people will think you have Asperger's. Or even that you're autistic.


and it will show up those people's own bigotry. basically. I have autism, and I'm gonna go ahead and sell t-shirts of this strip, I think.


Wait, what is bigoted on correctly identifying that you have Asperger's / autism based on the awkward way you communicate? I would understand how somebody who doesn't have either could be offended, but this?


in my experience, making such an assumption is often a precursor to more negative treatment. and having one's assumption be correct is no guard against bigotry. I've had people suddenly become more condescending, more patronising, and more excluding after making that sort of assumption. It makes it very difficult to convince them not to exclude me socially, or in employment. I take it as a very big warning sign, myself.
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Klear » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:
Klear wrote:
a_fuzzyduck wrote:
squonk wrote:If you're too honest, people will think you have Asperger's. Or even that you're autistic.


and it will show up those people's own bigotry. basically. I have autism, and I'm gonna go ahead and sell t-shirts of this strip, I think.


Wait, what is bigoted on correctly identifying that you have Asperger's / autism based on the awkward way you communicate? I would understand how somebody who doesn't have either could be offended, but this?


in my experience, making such an assumption is often a precursor to more negative treatment. and having one's assumption be correct is no guard against bigotry. I've had people suddenly become more condescending, more patronising, and more excluding after making that sort of assumption. It makes it very difficult to convince them not to exclude me socially, or in employment. I take it as a very big warning sign, myself.


I don't mean to nitpick (ok, this thread is supposed to be about honesty, so yeah, I love to nitpick), but while it's sad to hear you are confronted with negative treatment more often than not, assuming that people are going to be treating you like that before they do is a show of prejudice on your part.

CasualSax
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby CasualSax » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

I find the entire concept of identifying a person's behavior as a mental condition offensive - it usually flows into thinking "You said x, therefore you are broken." It usually comes from a position of ignorance on very complex issues and leads to bias and negativity. It also glosses over the discussion about when is a behavior a part of a person's identity versus a "condition" they are "afflicted" with.

EverVigilant
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby EverVigilant » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:Just fake it until you make it. You're only who you present yourself to be.

Not necessarily.

I used to be who I really was, and I understood everything just fine without being confused or scared because everything was easy without really trying and bad times were temporary and everything was inevitably getting better.

Then good times became temporary and everything would go to complete hell unless I tried really hard all the time to frantically prop it all up with duck tape and twine, even though I'm scared and confused and don't understand anything anymore, so now I'm really nobody and just keep pretending to be somebody, like you say.

I think something broke along the way somewhere. I'd like to think it could be fixed some day, if I can figure out what it was, since it wasn't always like this.

I know that only too well. I changed from the real me to something fake around the 7th grade. Finally figured out, at the ripe age of 29, that that has been my big problem with life all along. That's why life is such a chore no matter how much "that was fucking hilarious" fake-laughing I do around people. That's why I don't understand what it's like to be carefree anymore.

This book helped me get a mental grip on a lot of this shit: http://www.amazon.com/Neurosis-Human-Gr ... 0393307751

Unfortunately for me, a mental grip is a long way from fixing the problem, but it's a huge start. Thought I'd share. (You can find it free on scribd I think)

User avatar
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:58 pm UTC
Location: Texas

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby philsov » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

I didn't understand what you meant. I still don't. But I'll figure it out soon!


No you won't :D

People are complicated, after all.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

User avatar
ManyPopes
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby ManyPopes » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 pm UTC

This comic is scarily relevant to what's been going on in my mind in the past few months. Kind of weird for the same topic to pop up on xkcd. Then again, maybe more people go through this than you would imagine...

User avatar
orangustang
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:45 am UTC
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby orangustang » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:58 pm UTC

This comic is especially true during exam week. A common thought for me is, "I don't even know who I am anymore."

User avatar
a_fuzzyduck
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 pm UTC
Location: Clydebank
Contact:

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
a_fuzzyduck wrote:
Klear wrote:
a_fuzzyduck wrote:
squonk wrote:If you're too honest, people will think you have Asperger's. Or even that you're autistic.


and it will show up those people's own bigotry. basically. I have autism, and I'm gonna go ahead and sell t-shirts of this strip, I think.


Wait, what is bigoted on correctly identifying that you have Asperger's / autism based on the awkward way you communicate? I would understand how somebody who doesn't have either could be offended, but this?


in my experience, making such an assumption is often a precursor to more negative treatment. and having one's assumption be correct is no guard against bigotry. I've had people suddenly become more condescending, more patronising, and more excluding after making that sort of assumption. It makes it very difficult to convince them not to exclude me socially, or in employment. I take it as a very big warning sign, myself.


I don't mean to nitpick (ok, this thread is supposed to be about honesty, so yeah, I love to nitpick), but while it's sad to hear you are confronted with negative treatment more often than not, assuming that people are going to be treating you like that before they do is a show of prejudice on your part.


yes, but I have no power over those people in order to use that prejudice in any way. The people who make the assumptions and give the negative treatment often do - usually its employers, often its in social situations. I react with just a flat "yes" and try and steer conversation to another topic... often I end up discarded from the discussion.

The question for me is how to go into these situations with some kind of power and influence, so I don't get ignored or marginalised, especially in looking for work
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Rotherian
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Rotherian » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:13 pm UTC

The Cat wrote:Has anyone ever met someone who always begins a statement with "Honestly"? It has been my experience that they aren't very honest.

I take "I mean, lets be Honest" differently. More of broaching a difficult subject often avoided.


I mean, lets be honest, chemical weapons are the nastiest things on earth.

or

Honestly, I didn't change my position for money. Honestly, I didn't leave the deuce floating in the toilet at the Rayburn House office building. Politicians work well for my analogy.


While my use of "I mean, let's be honest," pretty much matches your use of that phrase, my use of "Honestly," is a precursor to saying something without even a smidgen of tact.

Examples:

Q: "Does this dress make me look fat?"
A: "Honestly, it is probably the extra twenty pounds that makes you look fat, not the dress."

Q: "How do I look?"
A: "If you are referring to overall looks, then you look fine. If you are referring to your clothes, then honestly, that blouse and pants combination is hideous."

Q: "Why do you love me?"
A: "Honestly, because I'm partially disabled, getting fat, and I'm no longer young, so my prospects are rather limited."
There are two general categories of opinion: regular opinions and informed opinions.
Please do not argue with me unless your opinion falls into the latter category.
Image

User avatar
TimXCampbell
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:26 am UTC
Location: Very Eastern Kentucky, USA
Contact:

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby TimXCampbell » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:44 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I think something broke along the way somewhere. I'd like to think it could be fixed some day, if I can figure out what it was, since it wasn't always like this.

In my view, the thing that broke happened millenia in the past. The thing that broke was, metaphorically speaking, our expulsion from Eden. We acquired the ability the make distinctions (for example, saying this is “good” and that is “evil”). That wasn't the entire “break,” though.

The ability to model the world and discern differences is, of course, the thing that gives humans an evolutionary edge. It's what has helped weak little animals like us to thrive. So that part is nifty. But eventually the tool that we used to excel took us over. We started being commanded by the system we'd created. We became cogs in the memetic machine.

Do you want a familiar example? Just think of people fighting or even just arguing on behalf of a particular religion. What's the cause of that furor? Ideas. But not just vague ideas — ideas that people have made a part of their identity.

You observed in your post that things had not always been broken for you. That applies to all of us. We are born innocent, without a memetic load. The older we get, though, the more we're indoctrinated by our parents, our friend's parents (via our friends), by school, by television, by our culture in general. We start encountering unresolvable imperatives, so we try to think them through. But we cannot; we get trapped in a endless cycle of analysis. We are now serving the machine. We live to propagate selfish memes just as surely as we live to propagate selfish genes.

We have no choice about the genes (at this time) but we do have a choice about the memes. Many spiritual traditions have described this problem in the past, but it's only recently that it has been possible to understand the broad picture.

There is cause for optimism. But first we need to be utterly honest with ourselves. Randall's comic showed what can happen when we attempt to do that in public: People don't want humanity's habitual dishonesty highlighted, do they? So perhaps we can choose the time and place to be honest with others. But there's nothing to stop us from being honest with ourselves, always, except the counter-force of the memetic load. Generations-old memes have evolved defense mechanisms. If we can see this, if we can truly grasp that it's so, we might find a way out.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

Rotherian wrote:Q: "Why do you love me?"
A: "Honestly, because I'm partially disabled, getting fat, and I'm no longer young, so my prospects are rather limited."

I do not think that word (love) means what you think it means.

User avatar
Steve the Pocket
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC
Location: Going downtuuu in a Luleelurah!

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:04 pm UTC

The line in the second panel is really awkward sounding. Is it a reference to something? I can't imagine a real person ever lumping "trying really hard all the time" in with being "confused and scared" like that.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

User avatar
ysth
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby ysth » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

Is something wrong with me that I read that as a conversation between d8z and f8d?
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Fire Brns
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Fire Brns » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
a_fuzzyduck wrote:
squonk wrote:If you're too honest, people will think you have Asperger's. Or even that you're autistic.


and it will show up those people's own bigotry. basically. I have autism, and I'm gonna go ahead and sell t-shirts of this strip, I think.


Wait, what is bigoted on correctly identifying that you have Asperger's / autism based on the awkward way you communicate? I would understand how somebody who doesn't have either could be offended, but this?

I agree, it is not bigoted to make logical assumptions from observations. If I see a lady pushing a shopping cart and talking to herself it is not bigoted to assume she is schizophrenic. It's just an identifying tip-off on how to modify your behavior around them.
I would posit it is the opposite of bigoted as I would not use nonliteral phrases that could be misinterpreted by the autistic and as such they benefit in communication by me recognizing their disabilities.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

MadH
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby MadH » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

EverVigilant wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:Just fake it until you make it. You're only who you present yourself to be.

Not necessarily.

I used to be who I really was, and I understood everything just fine without being confused or scared because everything was easy without really trying and bad times were temporary and everything was inevitably getting better.

Then good times became temporary and everything would go to complete hell unless I tried really hard all the time to frantically prop it all up with duck tape and twine, even though I'm scared and confused and don't understand anything anymore, so now I'm really nobody and just keep pretending to be somebody, like you say.

I think something broke along the way somewhere. I'd like to think it could be fixed some day, if I can figure out what it was, since it wasn't always like this.

I know that only too well. I changed from the real me to something fake around the 7th grade. Finally figured out, at the ripe age of 29, that that has been my big problem with life all along. That's why life is such a chore no matter how much "that was fucking hilarious" fake-laughing I do around people. That's why I don't understand what it's like to be carefree anymore.

This book helped me get a mental grip on a lot of this shit: http://www.amazon.com/Neurosis-Human-Gr ... 0393307751

Unfortunately for me, a mental grip is a long way from fixing the problem, but it's a huge start. Thought I'd share. (You can find it free on scribd I think)


I find that what usually causes this is caring too much about what other people think about you.
My cure was stopping to give a fuck about what other people thought of me. Life fell into place and has been pretty great ever since.

Of course, saying something and doing something are two different things. My mind switched over in a single gigantic wrench of thought and stayed on this new track ever since. It took a small personal crisis to do so; it may not be easy for you.

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Adam H » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:07 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Rotherian wrote:Q: "Why do you love me?"
A: "Honestly, because I'm partially disabled, getting fat, and I'm no longer young, so my prospects are rather limited."

I do not think that word (love) means what you think it means.

So what does it mean? If we can be totally honest here, I think YOU'RE the one who doesn't know what it means. :P
-Adam

sep332
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:42 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby sep332 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

MadH wrote:My mind switched over in a single gigantic wrench of thought and stayed on this new track ever since. It took a small personal crisis to do so; it may not be easy for you.

I had a similar experience. It was like a scab falling off a wound and suddenly I could feel things that I had been numb to before. I'm pretty sure some of that stuff had been tucked away since middle school (I was 24 when this happened). A word of warning: although the net change may be positive, there could be some stuff in there you won't like. I found a collection of irrational phobias that took me a couple days to put back away.

User avatar
TimXCampbell
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:26 am UTC
Location: Very Eastern Kentucky, USA
Contact:

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby TimXCampbell » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

sep332 wrote:I found a collection of irrational phobias that took me a couple days to put back away.

Were these phobias you'd previously overcome, but they came back?

MadH
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby MadH » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

sep332 wrote:
MadH wrote:My mind switched over in a single gigantic wrench of thought and stayed on this new track ever since. It took a small personal crisis to do so; it may not be easy for you.

I had a similar experience. It was like a scab falling off a wound and suddenly I could feel things that I had been numb to before. I'm pretty sure some of that stuff had been tucked away since middle school (I was 24 when this happened). A word of warning: although the net change may be positive, there could be some stuff in there you won't like. I found a collection of irrational phobias that took me a couple days to put back away.


Now that I think about it I kind of went a little nuts for my 4 years of high school (my brain-switch happened when I was 14). Really, I'm not sure how much of anything was due to my thoughts changing over and how much was caused by the feeling of being choked by my environment. Also I only slept 3-4 hours a night on weekdays so that wouldn't help in keeping me on an even keel either. So, mental side effects may or may not happen to you when performing such a large change of thought process.

But it is definitely a net positive.

User avatar
Envelope Generator
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:07 am UTC
Location: pareidolia

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:The line in the second panel is really awkward sounding. Is it a reference to something? I can't imagine a real person ever lumping "trying really hard all the time" in with being "confused and scared" like that.


The line is intentionally awkward. The character is trying to say he's trying really hard all time time to understand but he's just expressing himself incompletely because anxiety is messing up his thoughts.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Invertin
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Invertin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:32 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
Rotherian wrote:Q: "Why do you love me?"
A: "Honestly, because I'm partially disabled, getting fat, and I'm no longer young, so my prospects are rather limited."

I do not think that word (love) means what you think it means.

So what does it mean? If we can be totally honest here, I think YOU'RE the one who doesn't know what it means. :P

you can be in a relationship out of desperation
you can't be in love out of desperation

you can convince yourself of the latter thing though. From experience, it's remarkably easy to do so...

EverVigilant
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby EverVigilant » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

MadH and sep332, I think I can safely say you guys had it easy.

"I found a collection of irrational phobias that took me a couple days to put back away."

A couple days, you say? How about having to undo an entire upbringing of being lied to by killjoys about how the world works, thereby making you a killjoy? Talk about irrational phobias. My psyche is a tangled nest of demons. It's only recently that I discovered that the intelligence that got me through school with flying colors can also be used to straighten this stuff out. I'm 29. I've let this shit overgrow for way too long.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 pm UTC

Invertin wrote:
Adam H wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
Rotherian wrote:Q: "Why do you love me?"
A: "Honestly, because I'm partially disabled, getting fat, and I'm no longer young, so my prospects are rather limited."

I do not think that word (love) means what you think it means.

So what does it mean? If we can be totally honest here, I think YOU'RE the one who doesn't know what it means. :P

you can be in a relationship out of desperation
you can't be in love out of desperation

you can convince yourself of the latter thing though. From experience, it's remarkably easy to do so...


I quite like the definition Heinlein proposed - "love is that condition where another person's happiness is essential to one's own"...

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5487
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1146: "Honest"

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:17 am UTC

EverVigilant wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:Just fake it until you make it. You're only who you present yourself to be.

Not necessarily.

I used to be who I really was...

I know that only too well. I changed from the real me to something fake around the 7th grade.

That's not really what I meant. (My condolences with your different struggle, though).

Quicksilver's implied that everyone is nothing but a fake image they decide to present to the world. It sounds like you've been struggling with presenting a fake image while hiding your true self, which is different. I was lamenting that at one time I felt like I had a true self, and everything I did was genuine and heartfelt and earnest and passionate; but now it feels like I don't, that my true self is a kind of null, a dark void, coldly rational, and the only personality I have anymore is the personality I choose to present to the rest of the world, for the sake of not being boring, blunt, or rude. I choose to present something of an idealized version of what I used to be, and in some ways it's nice to be able to do that (to present an idealized version of me of my choosing, instead of just whoever I was), but I feel like I'm just a robot emulating my old self now. I'm someone else carrying on Forrest's life in honor of his memory, because he's dead now, or at least incapacitated.

I connected that to the "too honest" mini-rant in the comic in that nowadays, when I'm "faking it until I make it", I feel that way too, that everything is confusing, I don't understand it at all, and I have to constantly try hard at everything all the time or else it will all fall apart; but back when I was more than just who I presented myself to be, but rather I was just who I was (and didn't present otherwise), nothing was ever confusing, everything seemed easy to understand and work with, and so long as I basically just showed up to life every day it kept sailing along mostly smoothly, with intermittent problems true (some of them big ones) but all of them things outside my control that I couldn't have done anything to prevent. I had bad luck, but never failure; luck drew the boundaries of what options were available and I just cruised easily within those bounds.

That was my whole life well into my mid-20s (I'm 30 now, for reference). Then it seems like, to use the "smooth sailing" metaphor, the rocks kept closing in and there were fewer open seas to sail and eventually I ran aground. And since then there is no ocean, there is no such thing as smooth sailing, there is only hard dry land, and my only option is to take my ship places it can't go, to get out on foot and drag my ship over the rocks. (I.e. the only things available for me to do are things I don't really understand how to do, and every single step of the way is a huge struggle). The only upside to it is that, if onlookers are to be believed, I've gotten pretty ripped from all the constant exercise of hauling my ship over rocks on foot every day, but despite those appearances I just feel sore and weak all the time.

Steve the Pocket wrote:I can't imagine a real person ever lumping "trying really hard all the time" in with being "confused and scared" like that.

When you understand things, they are easy to deal with, so there's nothing scary about them. When they are confusing, dealing with them is really hard, so you get scared. So if you're having to try really hard all the time, chances are you're confused and scared, otherwise you'd just be coasting through it all with certainty and confidence.

CasualSax wrote:I find the entire concept of identifying a person's behavior as a mental condition offensive - it usually flows into thinking "You said x, therefore you are broken." It usually comes from a position of ignorance on very complex issues and leads to bias and negativity. It also glosses over the discussion about when is a behavior a part of a person's identity versus a "condition" they are "afflicted" with.

A thousand times this. I've never been diagnosed with any major autism spectrum disorders (though I had short-lasting ADD and OCD diagnoses at different times in my childhood, and I can see hints of those conditions in my personality today still), but I get really offended whenever I see someone call someone whose communication style they dislike "autistic" or "aspie" or something. Not because there is anything wrong with being autistic or aspie, quite the opposite: because it's being used as an epithet, a pejorative label to say "this is what's wrong with you". No. Fuck that shit. Even if the label is accurate and the person in question really does have such a diagnosis, that's not necessarily a bad thing. In all honesty (see what I did there), from my admittedly limited experience, I would say that people on the autism spectrum are generally better people than the duplicitous, drooling, mouth-breathing, popularity-contest-obsessed neurotypicals infesting the majority of this rock; I would say that it's the vast majority of people who have a (complex of) mental "disorder(s)", and more often than not it's the ones who get labelled "disordered" who have their heads screwed on straight.

But that's just my personal bias about the kinds of people I like, and I keep it in check. I fully support neurodiversity, and believe that whether someone has a "disorder" depends almost entirely on whether they dislike their own mental functioning. If you're happy with the way your mind works, good for you; and if anyone tells you there's something wrong with you because of it, they can go fuck themselves with a rake.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mscha and 111 guests