1134: "Logic Boat"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

teelo

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby teelo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:39 am UTC

Sir_Read-a-Lot wrote:This is why you present this problem with a dog, a chicken, and bird seed.

Take the chicken across. Come back. Take the bird seed across. Whistle for the dog to swim across.

Tormuse

Postby Tormuse » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:28 am UTC

Klear wrote:BTW, hi Tormuse! I think this is the first time I met someone I know outside the forum where I first met them... =)

Hey, "Klear Nukem!" ;) Yeah, it's me. I go by the name Tormuse on a number of forums on the internet. :)

Wnderer wrote:You have rock, paper and scissors and you can only bring one over at a time.

If you leave the paper with the rock, paper will cover rock.
If you leave the rock with the scissors, rock will smash scissors.
If you leave the scissors with paper, scissors will cut paper.

How do you get them across?

Spoiler:
You can't unsmash the scissors or uncut the paper but you can uncover the rock.
Attachments
Rock Paper Scissors.gif
Rock Paper Scissors.gif (7.65 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
I'm not really that patriotic... really!

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:44 am UTC

Velexia wrote:In regards to the Dinosaur, btw, it can only row the boat after it's been shown how to do it. She's clever, but not ''that" clever (she also gets bored with it and will only do it once, kind of like some cats) Also, no one kills or eats anyone as long as everyone is there to keep tabs on each other. ~_^

OK, that doesn't work. Nobody can be alone in the boat with the ninja except the dinosaur, or the ninja kills them.
The ninja can't row the boat with the dinosaur, because he has to not move.
The dinosaur can't learn to row the boat because she eats anybody who moves.
Unless for unknown reasons the dinosaur doesn't eat you.

Then you take the pirate across the river and you come back.
Then you take the ninja across the river and you come back with the pirate.
You take the dinosaur across the river and you come back alone.
You take the pirate across the river a second time.

But if the dinosaur eats you while you take him across the river, it fails.

Maybe if the dinosaur can be persuaded to swim across the river.
You carry the pirate, the dinosaur swims, and the ninja straps himself to the back of the dinosaur's head where she can't see him, and lets her swim him across.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

awshidahak

Postby awshidahak » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:52 am UTC

But what of the boat after the goat and cabbage (and optionally wolf) have been taken across?

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:03 am UTC

J Thomas wrote:
Velexia wrote:In regards to the Dinosaur, btw, it can only row the boat after it's been shown how to do it. She's clever, but not ''that" clever (she also gets bored with it and will only do it once, kind of like some cats) Also, no one kills or eats anyone as long as everyone is there to keep tabs on each other. ~_^

OK, that doesn't work. Nobody can be alone in the boat with the ninja except the dinosaur, or the ninja kills them.
<snip>
Then you take the ninja across the river and you come back with the pirate.

J Thomas wrote:Nobody can be alone in the boat with the ninja except the dinosaur, or the ninja kills them
Then you take the ninja across the river

You can't take the ninja alone either!

Dinosaur kills that which moves when alone with it. Ninjas don't move.
Ninja kills that which it is alone with except for Dinosaurs.
Pirate in a boat alone steals the boat.

Conclusion:
I on a dinosaur with the ninja cross. There are two in the boat: Dinosaur and ninja. I sit on the dinosaur, because compared to the dinosaur, I have no weight. I row from atop the dinosaur.
I drop off the dinosaur and the ninja on the other side.
I take the pirate across.

J Thomas

Postby J Thomas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am UTC

Elmach wrote:
J Thomas wrote:Then you take the ninja across the river

You can't take the ninja alone either!

Oops!

Dinosaur kills that which moves when alone with it. Ninjas don't move.
Ninja kills that which it is alone with except for Dinosaurs.
Pirate in a boat alone steals the boat.

Conclusion:
I on a dinosaur with the ninja cross. There are two in the boat: Dinosaur and ninja. I sit on the dinosaur, because compared to the dinosaur, I have no weight. I row from atop the dinosaur.
I drop off the dinosaur and the ninja on the other side.
I take the pirate across.

If you and the dinosaur and the ninja can travel together, then you have it.

How about this:

It doesn't say the dinosaur will eat you, though the ninja will kill you.
And it doesn't actually say the pirate will steal the boat.
So first you take the pirate across and come back alone.
Then you take the dinosaur across and back to teach her how to row.
The dinosaur rows across with the ninja.
The pirate rows back for you.

If the dinosaur doesn't eat you and the pirate doesn't steal the boat, it works.

Trasvi

Postby Trasvi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:02 am UTC

Someone at my old work came up with an epic one of these. It began like this:
You are stranded on an island in the middle of an infinite lattice of one-ohm resistors. You have access to a levitating superconductor, a fox, a hen, a 5 litre jug and a 3 litre jug. On the island there is a fountain and a bag of seed in the centre of a labyrinth guarded by two guards, one of whom...
I'll try to find it, the problem went on for about a page or so...

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:25 am UTC

teelo wrote:
Sir_Read-a-Lot wrote:This is why you present this problem with a dog, a chicken, and bird seed.

Take the chicken across. Come back. Take the bird seed across. Whistle for the dog to swim across.

You might run into a problem here. Call the dog across in a southern river and an alligator drags it down, call it across in an east coast river and a bull shark drags it down, call it across in India and a crocodile pulls it down, call it across in Africa and it gets murdered by a hippo.

We may need an encyclopedia to find out which rivers it is save for dogs to swim across. But crap, now you can't leave the encyclopedia with the goat.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:48 am UTC

Trasvi wrote:Someone at my old work came up with an epic one of these. It began like this:
You are stranded on an island in the middle of an infinite lattice of one-ohm resistors. You have access to a levitating superconductor, a fox, a hen, a 5 litre jug and a 3 litre jug. On the island there is a fountain and a bag of seed in the centre of a labyrinth guarded by two guards, one of whom...
I'll try to find it, the problem went on for about a page or so...

I would definitely love to read this if it is obtainable (or reproducible).

AtG

Postby AtG » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 am UTC

Put a mask on the goat. No wolf would dare attack the Devil Goat.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 am UTC

J Thomas wrote:If the ninja can't row the boat without moving then the dinosaur eats him.

Move the boat using the force, he must.
Oh, hang on, I'm thinking of a Jedi.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 am UTC

J Thomas wrote:If the ninja can't row the boat without moving then the dinosaur eats him.

Supposing Ninja can row without moving (he's a ninja, of course he can!), then the dinosaur cannot learn to row from watching him.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:14 pm UTC

Klear wrote:

Supposing Ninja can row without moving (he's a ninja, of course he can!), then the dinosaur cannot learn to row from watching him.

Come to think of it, who said anything about rowing? In the cartoon the boat appears to propel itself by some mysterious means.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:20 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Klear wrote:

Come to think of it, who said anything about rowing? In the cartoon the boat appears to propel itself by some mysterious means.

Uh, which cartoon? Maybe I missed something.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Uh, which cartoon? Maybe I missed something.

This one, I think. It's kinda obscure, I understand how you might not have come across it before.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:39 pm UTC

It seems as if the solution to all of these problems is one from cinema:

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:44 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Klear wrote:Uh, which cartoon? Maybe I missed something.

This one, I think. It's kinda obscure, I understand how you might not have come across it before.

Oh, right. I only refer to animation as cartoons, that's what threw me off.

On the other hand, we are discussing a different problem than the one in the comic, with wildly different rules.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:33 pm UTC

Klear wrote:On the other hand, we are discussing a different problem than the one in the comic, with wildly different rules.

Sorry for the confusion - "comic" would have been clearer.

Velexia didn't mention rowing either, so it hinges on whether his/her logic boat should inherit any unspecified features from Randall's boat, or from the canonical logic boat, if there is such a thing.

Or it might mean a Logic boat, in which case it probably has a Yamaha outboard motor, by the look of it.

tiorbinist

Postby tiorbinist » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:42 pm UTC

There is no good solution to this but to point out to the Ninja that there's a Pirate here. While the Dinosaur is busy watching/eating them, do the boat thing and run as far, as quietly and with as little noise as possible to where the dinosaur cannot see you. Then pray that the Ninja doesn't survive and remember that it is you who set him up to decoy the dinosaur (and mop up the pirate). Oh... and hope you didn't sign for any of them.

Like really, what's a person going to do with a dinosaur, Ninja and Pirate?

Velexia wrote:lol... I love the look the wolf is giving to the cabbage.

How about this logic boat:

You have a Ninja, a Pirate, and a Dinosaur.

The Dinosaur can't see the Ninja, because it has some frog DNA and can't see things that don't move. The Ninja is good at not moving.

The Dinosaur however, will eat the Pirate.

The Ninja and the Pirate will kill each other.

The Ninja will kill anyone it is alone with, except the Dinosaur.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

Guys, this Ninja-Pirate-Dinassaur Problem debate is epic :D 5 Internets for everyone!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:In the cartoon the boat appears to propel itself by some mysterious means.

Furthermore, it can't be a rowing boat because the human is facing in the direction of travel, to the extent that somebody can be said to be "facing" in any direction when they don't have a face.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:16 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:You have rock, paper and scissors and you can only bring one over at a time.

You have a Level 13 Charmander (a Fire-type Pokémon), a Level 13 Bulbasaur (a Grass-type Pokémon), and a Level 13 Squirtle (a Water-type Pokémon), on one side of the river. If you leave the Charmander alone with the Bulbasaur, he will kill himwith his Ember move. If you leave the Bulbasaur alone with the Squirtle, he will kill him with his Vine Whip move. If you leave the Squirtle alone with the Charmander, he will kill it with his Water Gun move. You can only carry one Poké Ball aboard the boat. What do you do?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:45 pm UTC

Simpsons did it; dog > baby > poison candy. Dog swam after it's master.

I'm pretty sure both goats and wolves can swim. Which makes the solution: Bring the cabbage in the boat and have the wolf and goat swim after you.

Now suppose you have a wolf, a goat, a cabbage boat, a ninja, a pirate, an animal right protestor, and a dinosaur; with a crocodile in the river.

The ninja can't be left alone with the pirate, animal rights protestor, or you, or his stealth kill reflexes will take over. If someone drops a spoon, he'll flip out and kill everyone.
The wolf will try to eat the goat without a human supervisor.
The goat will eat the boat if you try to take it across in it, even with supervision. The goat will wonder off if unsupervised (human) and will eat any restraints.
The wolf and goat can swim, but the crocodile will eat them unless the dinosaur or ninja are traveling along with them.
The dinosaur can't be left alone with you, the pirate, or the goat.
The cabbage can hold two people and doesn't count as "someone" for preventing everyone from killing/eating each other.
The pirate can operate the boat. He will mug you or the animal rights protestor you unless the wolf, ninja, or dinosaur are nearby.
Without the presence of another human, the animal rights protestor will make the wolf and/or dinosaur eat the cabbage. If left alone with you, they'll guilt trip you into letting the animals go.
Bonus: Leave the wolf and ninja alone (without the cabbage) to unlock the ninja's shamanistic wolf jitsu.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

J Thomas

Postby J Thomas » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:

You have a Level 13 Charmander (a Fire-type Pokémon), a Level 13 Bulbasaur (a Grass-type Pokémon), and a Level 13 Squirtle (a Water-type Pokémon), on one side of the river. If you leave the Charmander alone with the Bulbasaur, he will kill himwith his Ember move. If you leave the Bulbasaur alone with the Squirtle, he will kill him with his Vine Whip move. If you leave the Squirtle alone with the Charmander, he will kill it with his Water Gun move. You can only carry one Poké Ball aboard the boat. What do you do?

If you have three pokeballs, confine each of them. Then carry one pokeball across the river at a time.

If you have two pokeballs, confine two of them. Then carry one pokeball across the river at a time.

If you have one pokeball, put the charmander in the pokeball and carry him across the river. Invite the squirtle to swim across with you. If he stays behind the bulbasaur kills him. Stupid squirtle. On the other side, release the charmander and put the squirtle in the pokeball. Carry the pokeball back. Put the bulbasaur in the pokeball and invite the squirtle to swim across yet again. Hope the squirtle doesn't swim ahead and kill the charmander before you get there to stop him.

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

Are you telling me, the boat can’t hold an additional cabbage??

Also, I have a wolf, to eat people who think a boat can’t hold an additional cabbage!

neremanth

Postby neremanth » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:22 pm UTC

So, we've agreed that the set-up in the comic is illogical (why would anyone have a wolf? how come the cabbage weighs as much as the goat? etc).

A thought just occurred to me: is there any reason why it couldn't be a dog and two sacks of dog food, each weighing as much as the dog? (Or, if you really want the goat, a goat and two goat-weight sacks of goat food).

... Though obviously this combination cannot compete with the ninja, the pirate and the dinosaur in the awesomeness dimension.

If you do go with the original wolf - goat - cabbage set up, the economist's solution for sufficiently wide rivers would surely be

1 Sell goat and cabbage (the wolf probably has no market value..)
2 Cross with wolf
3 Buy new goat and cabbage on the other side.

Hey, if goats and cabbages are more plentiful on the other side of the river (which they surely must be after all those people solving the problem) you might even make a profit!

Edit: the wolf might help with making a profit too. I can imagine a buyer accompanied by a snarling wolf can get offered quite a low price. Hey, I might have just discovered the reason for having it!

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:43 pm UTC

neremanth wrote:If you do go with the original wolf - goat - cabbage set up, the economist's solution for sufficiently wide rivers would surely be

1 Sell goat and cabbage (the wolf probably has no market value..)
2 Cross with wolf
3 Buy new goat and cabbage on the other side.

Hey, if goats and cabbages are more plentiful on the other side of the river (which they surely must be after all those people solving the problem) you might even make a profit!

Edit: the wolf might help with making a profit too. I can imagine a buyer accompanied by a snarling wolf can get offered quite a low price. Hey, I might have just discovered the reason for having it!

Brilliant
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:46 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:I started to read it, and before I continued I reminded myself of the solution, and had the thought "why do you have a wolf? Wouldn't it just run away anyway? Are wolves really useful to farmers?" Not sure why I decided you are a farmer in this puzzle, maybe the first time it was told to me it was "a farmer has..."
Then I continued reading the comic.

I'd always thought of the wolf as a "dog in training", like the logic problem dated back to after agricultural grain production (12,000 years ago) but before agricultural "meat animal" production (9,000 years ago). Thus the animal has not been completely trained to guide, not eat, the goat.

Of course, the fact that it's a goat makes even less sense that the farmer has a dog in training. Sheep need a dog to push them out of harms way. Goats are intelligent and will come home when it's dark.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

Woah, we totally forgot about this one!

And in case anyone was wondering there is a "goatkcd.com"... don't go there. You've been warned. :shock:

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

J Thomas wrote:I have to assume the dinosaur won't eat people unless he's alone with them, or nothing works.

Come on! On this site? I think you have to assume "raptor"!

So the raptor eats you, and the pirate, and the ninja, And then crosses alone, if he feels like it, after his nap.
In all fairness...

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:15 pm UTC

gd1 wrote:Assumption: The stick is sturdy (not unreasonable as it's securing a boat)

Tie the goat to the stick in the ground.

Take the wolf across
Take the cabbage across
Untie the goat and take the goat across

Or these:

The "animals can swim" approach:
Step 1: tie animals to stern of boat
Step 2: cross river

The "guys! planning!" approach:
Step -1: order or build a bigger boat
Step 0: wait
Step 1: cross river

The "socialist infrastructure" approach:
Step 1: cross by a bridge instead

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:And in case anyone was wondering there is ... don't go there. You've been warned. :shock:

MY EYES! THE LASERS DO NOTHING!
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:11 pm UTC

Why would anybody go to a website that has the word goat in it? I'm never making that mistake again.

Edit:

- Goatse? What's that?
- Oh man! Come on, we're going to the internet coffee. You're one of today's unlucky 10,000.

ike

Postby ike » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:43 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Why would anybody go to a website that has the word goat in it? I'm never making that mistake again.

Edit:

- Goatse? What's that?
- Oh man! Come on, we're going to the internet coffee. You're one of today's unlucky 10,000.

goats.com was a really cool comic before the guy stopped updating :-(

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:27 am UTC

1134: "Logic Boat" wrote:4. Leave the Wolf. Why did you need a wolf?

You need the wolf because only he guide you. But you need fire.

http://xkcd.com/461/

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:46 am UTC

Turn the goat into cereal form. Then you don't need to worry about tying it up.

Not related:
Spoiler:
588s rant.gif
588s rant.gif (9.68 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
587s reaper.gif
587s reaper.gif (4.8 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
586s bag snack.gif
586s bag snack.gif (8.74 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
585s heh.gif
585s heh.gif (1.05 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
584s spectral wolpy.gif
584s spectral wolpy.gif (1.82 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
583s dino chase 2.gif
583s dino chase 2.gif (5.17 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
582s seaish ninja.gif
582s seaish ninja.gif (1.63 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
580s blaagh.gif
580s blaagh.gif (2.36 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
579s facepalm.gif
579s facepalm.gif (1.43 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
578s link.gif
578s link.gif (6 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
577s pour out.gif
577s pour out.gif (1.35 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
576s chew cookie.gif
576s chew cookie.gif (655 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
574s hypnotized.gif
574s hypnotized.gif (698 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
573s prickly.gif
573s prickly.gif (1.6 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
572s squirpy.gif
572s squirpy.gif (4.58 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
571s green alert.gif
571s green alert.gif (868 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
570s eat pizza.gif
570s eat pizza.gif (13.02 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
569s penguin slide.gif
569s penguin slide.gif (9.8 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
568s eyebrows.gif
568s eyebrows.gif (832 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
567s zombie love.gif
567s zombie love.gif (20.01 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
566s equimolpy.gif
566s equimolpy.gif (2.22 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
565s flower.gif
565s flower.gif (2.13 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
564s black heart.gif
564s black heart.gif (337 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
563s green blech.gif
563s green blech.gif (174 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
562s pope pat.gif
562s pope pat.gif (1.17 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
561s static party.gif
561s static party.gif (295 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
560s beagle wolpy.gif
560s beagle wolpy.gif (2.68 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
558s happy hop.gif
558s happy hop.gif (2.44 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
555s UFO.gif
555s UFO.gif (2.04 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
554s welcome spin.gif
554s welcome spin.gif (3.92 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
553s chickenraptor dance.gif
553s chickenraptor dance.gif (2.12 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
552s cowboy cool.gif
552s cowboy cool.gif (530 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
551s soldier.gif
551s soldier.gif (1.15 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
550s big teeth.gif
550s big teeth.gif (1.36 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
549s literal rofl.gif
549s literal rofl.gif (11.09 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
548s msn squint.gif
548s msn squint.gif (2.85 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
547s ferret.gif
547s ferret.gif (357 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
546s pricklymolp up.gif
546s pricklymolp up.gif (798 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
544s tree hearts.gif
544s tree hearts.gif (14.38 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
543s happy tree.gif
543s happy tree.gif (1.9 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
542s penguin.gif
542s penguin.gif (4.23 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
541s blue giggle.gif
541s blue giggle.gif (1.02 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
540s yellow dance.gif
540s yellow dance.gif (2.32 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
539s pirate laugh.gif
539s pirate laugh.gif (1.59 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
538s time to eat.gif
538s time to eat.gif (2.57 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
537s hair laugh.gif
537s hair laugh.gif (9.09 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
536s police hat.gif
536s police hat.gif (491 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
535s flag.gif
535s flag.gif (1.27 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
534s pirate ship.gif
534s pirate ship.gif (47.23 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
533s hatted zombie.gif
533s hatted zombie.gif (4.14 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
532s randall raptor.gif
532s randall raptor.gif (878 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
531s penguin jumprope.gif
531s penguin jumprope.gif (877 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
530s happy pat.gif
530s happy pat.gif (810 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
528s heels.gif
528s heels.gif (170 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
527s flashlight.gif
527s flashlight.gif (347 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
526s dino comics.gif
526s dino comics.gif (166 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
525s snuggle.gif
525s snuggle.gif (571 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
524s stick shrug.gif
524s stick shrug.gif (402 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
522s ribbit fat.gif
522s ribbit fat.gif (146 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
521s zodiac.gif
521s zodiac.gif (29.98 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
520s rev chainsaw.gif
520s rev chainsaw.gif (579 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
519s candle.gif
519s candle.gif (299 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
518s axe murderer.gif
518s axe murderer.gif (16.75 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
517s pricklymolp.gif
517s pricklymolp.gif (638 Bytes) Viewed 3523 times
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ysth

Postby ysth » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:53 am UTC

Delicious and trivial to make appetizer: cut cabbage (red, 'cause green is just silly) into 2x5cm strips, fold each strip around a square centimeter of feta, pierce through with a toothpick.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:36 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:You have a Level 13 Charmander (a Fire-type Pokémon), a Level 13 Bulbasaur (a Grass-type Pokémon), and a Level 13 Squirtle (a Water-type Pokémon), on one side of the river. If you leave the Charmander alone with the Bulbasaur, he will kill himwith his Ember move. If you leave the Bulbasaur alone with the Squirtle, he will kill him with his Vine Whip move. If you leave the Squirtle alone with the Charmander, he will kill it with his Water Gun move. You can only carry one Poké Ball aboard the boat. What do you do?

1.Win multiple trainer battles
2.Heal Pokemon at PokeCenter
3.Buy HM03 at PokeMart
4.Teach surf to Squirtle(Only if you have the Soul Badge)
5.Put charmander in boat (we can't be having him getting wet)
6.Have Squirtle use surf to carry Bulbasaur across alongside you

Or alternatively:
1.Win multiple trainer battles
2.Heal Pokemon at PokeCenter
3.Buy HM02 at PokeMart
4.lvl Charmander into a Charizard then teach him Fly
5.Carry either Squirtle or Bulbasaur across river then return for the other
(but only if you have both the Thunder Badge and Rainbow Badge)

Or alternatively:
1.Store Charmander and Squirtle in a PC bringing the Bulbasaur to battle all the Magikarp you will encounter while crossing
2.Retrieve Charmander and Squirtle at the next town

Or alternatively:
1.Use Squirtle with Surf instead of the boat and make two trips

Or alternatively:
1.Rescue Mr Fugi from Team Rocket and use the PokeFlute he gives you to wake the Snorlax blocking the bridge
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

JetstreamGW

Postby JetstreamGW » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:42 am UTC

Tormuse wrote:
Velexia wrote:You have a Ninja, a Pirate, and a Dinosaur...
Spoiler:
The Dinosaur can't see the Ninja, because it has some frog DNA and can't see things that don't move. The Ninja is good at not moving.

The Dinosaur however, will eat the Pirate.

The Ninja and the Pirate will kill each other.

The Ninja will kill anyone it is alone with, except the Dinosaur.

Some people say it's unsolvable because the ninja will kill you when the two of you are alone in the boat, but I have an alternative solution:

You cross with the pirate first, then return alone.

The ninja and the dinosaur cross together and then the three of them continue their journey without you, leaving you stranded forever. (Hey, the puzzle was just about how to get those three across, right?)

...or I suppose the pirate could come back for you, but you would have to depend on them coming to the correct decision without you; if they do it wrong and the ninja comes back for you, both you and the pirate are doomed! ...And then the ninja and dinosaur would continue their journey together.

Everyone hops on the Dinosaur's back and rides it across.

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:48 am UTC

Shoot the hostage.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”