1125: "Objects In Mirror"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Laverock

1125: "Objects In Mirror"

Postby Laverock » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:19 pm UTC

Title text: Universes in mirror, like those in windshield, are larger than they appear

Hey, what, no thread? Anyway, surely if objects in mirror are overtaking they are BLUESHIFTED and are actually REDDER than they appear?

pifactorial

Re: 1125: "Objects In Mirror"

Postby pifactorial » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:24 pm UTC

What I get is:
"Objects in mirror are bluer than they appear." = "Objects in mirror appear excessively redshifted." = "Objects in mirror appear to be moving away from you faster than they actually are."

Though, with the Hubble reference, it could just be referencing the fact that more distant stellar objects are more redshifted, so bluer = closer, since I doubt a curved mirror would have an influence on redshift one way or another.
Last edited by pifactorial on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:24 pm UTC

Hubble was American, so cars would be overtaking on the other side anyway.

I think there was no thread because the comic was so late going up, people probably started getting bored of checking.

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

Well, I didn't get tired of checking - I was actually this close to writing a script to notify me by email when it's done but I felt bad wasting taxpayer money on doing this at work. If only governments were that conscientious!

So yeah, the delay in the thread was caused by the delay in the comic - which I expected to cause a lot more drama :-)

When the what-if section started I was fascinated and at the same time a bit worried about how Randall is going to cope with the workload - it appeared to be more effort-intesive than putting together a single strip - and it comes on top of the normal workload. Then again, if you have enough talent and ideas - and Randall appears to have both - then drawing stick figure comics shouldn't take a lot of time. For instance, if it were anywhere near a full-time job, then doing the click and drag should have taken amount of time comparable to the age of the universe.

But then the delays came. what-ifs come so late every time it appears to be scheduled that way, but then there were the missing pics a couple of weeks back - clearly the work of a sleep-deprived, overworked genius; and now the comic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ranting about the delays as such - indeed I've been living in Germany for a year but I definitely haven't forsaken my eastern ways and established a cult to schedule instead. Honestly, I don't care about the delays but I'm sincerely interested in what's Randall up to. Has he been burned out by the click and drag experience? Is drawing a webcomic as intense as a normal job, as much as to incur delays just by the nature of the work (combined with a bit of hangover)?

Or maybe, just maybe, he's up to something awesome again?
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

ryzvonusef (1151717)

Postby ryzvonusef (1151717) » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:38 pm UTC

I think his uploader program had an error, remember last time it had a glitch and it uploaded a comic *earlier*?

dangerfan

Postby dangerfan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:43 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:Hubble was American, so cars would be overtaking on the other side anyway.

Not if you live in Massachusetts...

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:51 pm UTC

dangerfan wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:Hubble was American, so cars would be overtaking on the other side anyway.

Not if you live in Massachusetts...

Is that a fact or a joke?

Anyway Hubble was from Missouri, went to the University of Chicago, taught briefly at a high school in Indiana, and spent most of his life in California, so, moot point anyway.
A better point would be that he spent several years in England studying at Oxford. although that was 1910 - 1913 so probably didn't have his own car.

Laverock

Postby Laverock » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

Ah, OK, I now see that the real-world message “Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear.” is only mandated for passenger side mirrors, because driver side mirrors aren't convex. But red- or blue-shifting would surely apply equally on both sides?

FrobozzWizard

Postby FrobozzWizard » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

This version is at least no worse than Meatloaf's "Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are" (which is of course exactly backwards).

Himself

Postby Himself » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

I think people are overthinking this one a bit (then again, this is the XKCD forum), although a car overtaking you would be slightly blueshifted and thus redder than it appears, most objects you see in the mirror will be stationary and thus redshifted as you are moving away from them.
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

pifactorial

Postby pifactorial » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

Himself wrote:most objects you see in the mirror will be stationary and thus redshifted as you are moving away from them.

Oh yeah, that is a much more straightforward explanation. :D

beav

Postby beav » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

dangerfan wrote: Not if you live in Massachusetts...

Ain't THAT that the truth!

I enjoy buzzing down the breakdown lanes during rush hour. Boy. You'd think the slower folk would just move over TO the breakdown lanes and leave the high speed lanes open.

Anyhoo. Another one of those 'take a second to figure it out' comic, simple in the minimalist XKCD style, but amusing...

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Comics on monitor are later than they appear? Nice to see more Hubble love.

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:13 pm UTC

Letters in mirror are too small to read. (Unless you zoom them in.)

What’s up with that? Does Randall still have a super-low-DPI display?

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:Letters in mirror are too small to read. (Unless you zoom them in.)

What’s up with that? Does Randall still have a super-low-DPI display?

I think it's firmly established that he makes the comics on a much larger scale, then shrinks them to a manageable size for the website. (That's how he has high-quality images to make posters, even for the ones that don't expand when you click on them like the money chart or the Star Wars/Jurassic Park/LOTR timeline ones.)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

imagelesskink

Postby imagelesskink » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:41 pm UTC

Objects in mirror are older than they appear.

tuiuiu

Postby tuiuiu » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:55 pm UTC

Homage to Gary Larson: "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

WildBidoof

Postby WildBidoof » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

I would love a stickers for my mirrors of this.

DaveMcW

Postby DaveMcW » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

That warning doesn't really work on a normal convex mirror. It's not the redshifted objects you need to watch out for, it's the blueshifted ones.

But if Mr. Hubble has a custom mirror that corrects for redshift/blueshift, that is pretty awesome. :D

Yoduh

Postby Yoduh » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

you can tell randall meant stationary objects seeing as how the mirror in the comic has a very slightly blue tint to it compared to the rest of the black and white image.

question though: if the stationary objects are moving away from the mirror, why are they blue? the light from receding objects has a longer wavelength and decreased frequency, meaning wouldn't they shift towards the red end of the spectrum and thus appear red?

icebrain

Postby icebrain » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:00 pm UTC

Vroomfundel wrote:Well, I didn't get tired of checking - I was actually this close to writing a script to notify me by email when it's done but I felt bad wasting taxpayer money on doing this at work. If only governments were that conscientious!

You don't need to write a script, just install rss2email in some Linux/Unix box or, in alternative, use one of the many free RSS to Email services out there.

MonkeyBoy

Postby MonkeyBoy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

Yoduh wrote:question though: if the stationary objects are moving away from the mirror, why are they blue? the light from receding objects has a longer wavelength and decreased frequency, meaning wouldn't they shift towards the red end of the spectrum and thus appear red?

They do appear redder. Thus in reality, they are less red than they look in the mirror. Thus they are bluer than they appear.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:04 pm UTC

Laverock wrote:Ah, OK, I now see that the real-world message “Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear.” is only mandated for passenger side mirrors, because driver side mirrors aren't convex. But red- or blue-shifting would surely apply equally on both sides?

Red- or blue-shifting would apply on both sides, but labelling requirements only apply on one side.

Yoduh wrote:question though: if the stationary objects are moving away from the mirror, why are they blue?

They are moving away, so they are actually bluer than they appear in the mirror. You have this backwards. They look more red than they should, so they're bluer than they look.

Except, I'm not sure that's accurate. Given that there is no privileged frame of reference, I think it may be more accurate to say "objects in mirror are exactly as blue as they appear". But that wouldn't be very funny. The closest I can get to preserving accuracy without totally spoiling the joke is "objects in mirror are bluer than they would appear if your velocity matched theirs." Which only mostly spoils the joke, not totally. :)
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:07 pm UTC

Yoduh wrote:you can tell randall meant stationary objects seeing as how the mirror in the comic has a very slightly blue tint to it compared to the rest of the black and white image.

Considering that the image itself is an 8-bit grayscale PNG, I really doubt that this is accurate. True, it's grayer, but that could just as well be due to less-than-perfect reflection, losses in the glass, dust on the surface, etc.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Carcharadon

Postby Carcharadon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

Wouldn't the comic be better written if it said "Objects in mirror appear bluer than they are", since that seeems to be closer to the intent of the gag IE the mirror's tint, and doppler shifting only changes appearance, not reality. My two cents. Oh, and hi everyone, never felt the need to post here before in all my years of reading. :wink:

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:37 pm UTC

Carcharadon wrote:Wouldn't the comic be better written if it said "Objects in mirror appear bluer than they are", since that seeems to be closer to the intent of the gag IE the mirror's tint, and doppler shifting only changes appearance, not reality. My two cents. Oh, and hi everyone, never felt the need to post here before in all my years of reading. :wink:
The objects appear in the mirror more red than they actually are. A white rock looks pinker than it really is. Therefore, the slightly pink rock is actually bluer than it appears.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:47 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:A white rock looks pinker than it really is. Therefore, the slightly pink rock is actually bluer than it appears.

Aah, you crazy kids with your color vision! Us protanopes know that all rocks are gray and this "slightly redder/slightly bluer" business is all down to the power of suggestion.

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

As someone in the arts and humanities, with a severely handicapped knowledge of the sciences, I am proud to say I understood this comic. Do I get a cookie?
Spoiler:

Carcharadon

Postby Carcharadon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:07 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:
Carcharadon wrote:Wouldn't the comic be better written if it said "Objects in mirror appear bluer than they are", since that seeems to be closer to the intent of the gag IE the mirror's tint, and doppler shifting only changes appearance, not reality. My two cents. Oh, and hi everyone, never felt the need to post here before in all my years of reading. :wink:
The objects appear in the mirror more red than they actually are. A white rock looks pinker than it really is. Therefore, the slightly pink rock is actually bluer than it appears.

Considering there's also vector and velocity to account for in both the case of Hubble's car and the object in his mirror... well, depending on the situation either one of us could be correct! Hehe.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 am UTC

Vroomfundel wrote:Well, I didn't get tired of checking - I was actually this close to writing a script to notify me by email when it's done but I felt bad wasting taxpayer money on doing this at work. If only governments were that conscientious!
Oh, they have these. They're called RSS feeds :D

Nugs

Postby Nugs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:08 am UTC

Everything's redder than they appear to me. That's the way I roll.
Last edited by Nugs on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

JustDoug

Postby JustDoug » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:15 am UTC

ryzvonusef (1151717) wrote:I think his uploader program had an error, remember last time it had a glitch and it uploaded a comic *earlier*?

Thas was because Our Erstwhlie Host was travelling cross-country at near luminal speeds relative to the server at the time, and he'd forgotten to account for introduced time dilation. This latest was a miscalcuation that resulted in overcompensation.

OR it could simply be something glitched and it wasn't caught for a while.

In either case, I had to squint to resolve the punchline. It was mostly worth the effort.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:51 am UTC

This comic reminds me of a shot I've always found funny in Jurrasic Park, where the T-rex, whose gaping maw is visible in the passenger-side mirror, is apparently closer than it appears, according to said mirror.

If it were also bluer than it appeared, that would bring all new meaning to Malcolm's urging that they "must go faster. must. go. faster!"
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:29 am UTC

JustDoug wrote:In either case, I had to squint to resolve the punchline. It was mostly worth the effort.

I don't think I've succeeded yet, unless it's a reference to it being closed under gravity and looking like a sub-atomic particle from the outside.

midtskogen

Postby midtskogen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:37 am UTC

As I say when the streetlight ahead switches to red: if I accellerate sufficiently, the red light will appear green.

anubissan

Postby anubissan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:25 am UTC

I'd like to point out that it is more probable that the object will appear more "greener" than it is in reality. A mirror reflect only in theory 100% of the falling light. In reality a small precedent is disperse in to the green range of the light spectrum.

You can see this pretty good if you face two mirrors against each other. When you look closely you can see a fine green aura on the more "further away" re-reflections.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:27 am UTC

There was an incident where a Soyuz capsule collided with the Russian space station at low relative speed while attempting to dock. After that, they posted a notice in the cockpits reminding the pilots that "Objects in Mir are closer than they appear." :D

speising

Postby speising » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:57 am UTC

i have trouble believing that russians would post an english joke in their vehicle.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:09 am UTC

a thought: if the stationary object is violet, surely it would be red-shifted TOWARDS blueness, and would actually appear bluer than it really is.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:31 pm UTC

When the Hubble was launched,the mirrors were misaligned making all images received blurry. That may explain the discrepancy as to the color of the escaping light.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”