1113: "Killed In Action"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1113: "Killed In Action"

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 am UTC

Alt text:"We can't let this happen again. We need to build a secure TWO-day-before-retirement safe room."

Not sure I get this one. Witness protection or a madhouse reference, maybe?

ritvax

Re: 1113: "Killed In Action"

Postby ritvax » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:06 am UTC

I'm a little lost here, too. I mean, I think I get the point ("oh man, if only"), and the alt txt presents the absurdity of the situation, but, um, what?

-ritvax
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

Corrusader

Postby Corrusader » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:08 am UTC

Maybe it refers to a trope where cops get killed/gets in hairy situation just before they retire.

Here I looked it up : D
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Retirony

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:13 am UTC

I admit, the Simpsons episode with the guy getting shot was the first thing that came to mind. MENDOZA!

Primis

Postby Primis » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:20 am UTC

Its more then just the trope thing. Its a cliché in a cop films that a police officer will die in the line of duty the day / week / month before they retire (Tough job, someone's gotta do it) so in the comic, they were trying to avoid that by on the last day of the job, they are protected from everything to avoid such an incident.
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

winampman

Postby winampman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:21 am UTC

Corrusader wrote:Maybe it refers to a trope where cops get killed/gets in hairy situation just before they retire.

Here I looked it up : D
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Retirony

Probably this. Also, cops are allowed to retire early, usually around age 50, and they get nice pensions for the rest of their lives. So if you're a cop and you make it to age 50, the rest of your life is set. (compared to everyone else working until 65)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:24 am UTC

Or you could work for 20 years in the military and 20 years as a cop, and get BOTH pensions.

somebody_else

Postby somebody_else » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:32 am UTC

Definitely a reference to the trope. I think there is also a reference to the unexpected hanging paradox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexpected_hanging_paradox. I think the best solution (from a logic perspective) would just be to randomly retire people at the end of each day, so that way no one is killed 'one day away from retirement'. Not sure how well the police force would react knowing that they could lost their job any day though...

WolfieMario

Postby WolfieMario » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:35 am UTC

Primis wrote:Its more then just the trope thing. Its a cliché in a cop films

A trope is a cliché. And this isn't limited to cop films; the article Corrusader linked has a list of retironies throughout all sorts of media.
"Sometimes game development isn't about doing what is nice to everyone all the time." - Jens Bergensten

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:47 am UTC

Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:33 am UTC

Also a comparatively short cop.

Edit: 200 posts. What do I win?
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:03 am UTC

Linux0s wrote:Also a comparatively short cop.

The hearty thanks of a grateful nation.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:07 am UTC

I love strips like this, where it's just one ridiculous premise that serves as its own punchline. Like that one with the guy riding the dinosaur.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:09 am UTC

somebody_else wrote:Not sure how well the police force would react knowing that they could lost their job any day though...

Well, I mean, they seem to operate fine despite the fact that they could lose their life any day.

But in some ways I'm wondering if they'd worry more about the money though (although full pensions should be granted to all).

But yeah. I feel bad even saying it in the context of a comic, but that cop was short.

Personally, I'd just use sick time for my last day.

I had a teacher once who died of an unexpected cerebral aneurysm three days before the end of the school year... and her retirement.

That was sad. Plus it also resulted in her not getting an appropriate school memorial because the year was basically over (only half-days left).

Paulmichael

Postby Paulmichael » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:12 am UTC

I think since the cops are closer to our view point, they only look taller. By a rough estimate, the coffin is around the same height as the middle of the three people to the left. Which does make him kind of short, but not by much. Oh, and you win at least one Internet for 200 posts. I don't know what the exchange rate is today.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:26 am UTC

Agree that it is a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexpected_hanging_paradox.

I wonder what happened to "bad cop".
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

jpk

Postby jpk » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:44 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:
somebody_else wrote:Not sure how well the police force would react knowing that they could lost their job any day though...

I had a teacher once who died of an unexpected cerebral aneurysm three days before the end of the school year... and her retirement.

As opposed to the expected kind?

That was sad. Plus it also resulted in her not getting an appropriate school memorial because the year was basically over (only half-days left).

I bet she was all broken up about that one...

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:51 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:I wonder what happened to "bad cop".

I was wondering that too!

(Actually, it took me a while to realise that wasn't what the comic was about...)

fifiste

Postby fifiste » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:20 am UTC

There was an Amazing Superpowers comic that illustrated how stupid is to try to wring out extra tragedy from the fact that the cop who got shot was close to the retirement. If the cop would be far from retirement it would mean that s/he was much younger. It was like how other cops sighed in relief learning it was the rookie who got shot not the soon to be retiree, he got a tombstone saying that he was spared the injustice of living extra decades of fulfilling life.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:53 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:Agree that it is a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexpected_hanging_paradox.
Not really. The induction falls apart once the retiring cop is to spend more than a day in the safe house. Unless it becomes "poor guy. He had only a day before he left the safe house to enter the safer house."

Also, death isn't unexpected. It's guaranteed if the proximity to retirement is pointed out. Hence Retirony.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:11 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Or you could work for 20 years in the military and 20 years as a cop, and get BOTH pensions.

but then you'd, at best, be able to retire at 58.

nlitchfield

Postby nlitchfield » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:13 am UTC

We should call it Zeno's safe room

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:I wonder what happened to "bad cop".

It's obvious.

He's in charge of security for all of the so-to-be-retiring cops put into the safe room.

*evil grin*

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:47 am UTC

clearly, the creation of such a method to protect people only ensures the fact that they will inevitably die the day before being put into the locked room. it's just like retiring, except it's not called that and you're not sitting on your couch at home.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:36 pm UTC

Does this mean Randall is only 2 days from retirement? #xkcdpocalypse

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:37 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
WolfieMario wrote:

A trope is a cliché.

"Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés."

Said writer would be let down by this crowd, apparently. Which surprises me. People really don't know the "last day before retirement" trope?

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:47 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
WolfieMario wrote:

A trope is a cliché.

"Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés."

Awesome that they're allowed to invent whatever definition they want to justify themselves. Almost as awesome as...

"We are not a stuffy encyclopedic wiki. We're a buttload more informal. We encourage breezy language and original thought. There Is No Such Thing As Notability, and no citations are needed. If your entry cannot gather any evidence by the Wiki Magic, it will just wither and die. Until then, though, it will be available through the Main Tropes Index. "

In other words... "We are stupid and pointless. Come here to quote Dr. Who in a pretense of contributing to the literary world."

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:50 pm UTC

jpk wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:

As opposed to the expected kind?

To be pedantic, once in a while someone gets a head scan for an unrelated reason and a weak/ballooning/defective blood vessel is detected. The actual cause of death, btw, is not the aneurysm but the rupture thereof.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:52 pm UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:"We are stupid and pointless. Come here to quote Dr. Who in a pretense of contributing to the literary world."

You're talking about a minority of users there. Anyone that actually cares about TV Tropes will put more than just a quote in their edit.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:12 pm UTC

San Fran Sam wrote:

The hearty thanks of a grateful nation.

Agreed, but which nation should bestow their thanks? The poster's own? Or one chosen at random with a 192-sided die (e.g. a Goldberg 3,2 polyhedron)?

Edit: Actually strike that, you have to wait until you get to a round number milestone.

I, on the other hand, just qualified for the somewhat muted thanks of a vaguely appreciative medium-sized town.
Last edited by orthogon on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

EpicanicusStrikes

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:15 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
EpicanicusStrikes wrote:"We are stupid and pointless. Come here to quote Dr. Who in a pretense of contributing to the literary world."

You're talking about a minority of users there. Anyone that actually cares about TV Tropes will put more than just a quote in their edit.

Right... random selection:

"Take It To The Bridge"
The Bridge of Eldin. Good for horseback duels and brawling.
Bridges are seen as symbols for the crossroads of life, so therefore, it can also be the setting for an important plot point.

Bridges are often used as meeting places, places for swaps, etc., anything relative to the plot. This is sometimes done when they form the border between two territories. They can also serve as the only connection for the isolated region to the mainland.

It can also be a battlefield for two men in a duel, with the loser falling to their doom. In this scenario, underneath the bridge is a chasm, some rapids, a pit of spikes, or anything deadly.

Unlike the misleading title, this may not always involve James Brown...or Justin Timberlake.

So, in other words, a bridge represents things that bridges can do or things that can be done on bridges. Thanks, TVTropes! I'm more educated!

The unexplained pop references really make it most useful. But I'm not doing this all day. You either see that the 'empire has no clothes line' or not.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

I GET it, but it's a bit of a stretch and a lil weird ta-boot.

First you have to imagine that the way to stop a cop getting killed on the day before they retire is to of course make sure they don't actually see any action the day before they retire, which would essentially be retiring a day before they retire, just locked in a room.

Maybe if Randall had started with this being on a movie or tv screen or something it would have been less of a stretch.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:

[...]

So, in other words, a bridge represents things that bridges can do or things that can be done on bridges. Thanks, TVTropes! I'm more educated!

What I take away from the page is not that a bridge represents a transition, a choke-point, or a high-place off which to fall/jump, but that it is used to represent all those things. The fact a bridge could mean any or all of those things is not information; the fact it is frequently used with that meaning is.

And you skipped the examples section in your quotation, which is often where the meat of a TV Tropes page lies. Robin Hood meeting Friar Tuck, the enchanted bridge of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Magneto's shortcut in XMen 3 - a few examples of bridges being significant

EpicanicusStrikes

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:24 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
EpicanicusStrikes wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:

[...]

What I take away from the page is not that a bridge represents a transition, a choke-point, or a high-place off which to fall/jump, but that it is used to represent all those things. The fact a bridge could mean any or all of those things is not information; the fact it is frequently used with that meaning is.

And you skipped the examples section in your quotation, which is often where the meat of a TV Tropes page lies. Robin Hood meeting Friar Tuck, the enchanted bridge of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Magneto's shortcut in XMen 3 - a few examples of bridges being significant

I said no. I'm not going to argue religion today.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:25 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:I GET it, but it's a bit of a stretch and a lil weird ta-boot.

First you have to imagine that the way to stop a cop getting killed on the day before they retire is to of course make sure they don't actually see any action the day before they retire, which would essentially be retiring a day before they retire, just locked in a room.

Maybe if Randall had started with this being on a movie or tv screen or something it would have been less of a stretch.

the logical solution would be to wean cops of street duty gradually as they get older, and eventually give them safe desk jobs. :roll:

Erzengel

Postby Erzengel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
WolfieMario wrote:

A trope is a cliché.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage"Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés."[Edited to remove URL bbcode since I'm not allowed to use it]

Awesome that they're allowed to invent whatever definition they want to justify themselves. Almost as awesome as...

"We are not a stuffy encyclopedic wiki. We're a buttload more informal. We encourage breezy language and original thought. There Is No Such Thing As Notability, and no citations are needed. If your entry cannot gather any evidence by the Wiki Magic, it will just wither and die. Until then, though, it will be available through the Main Tropes Index. "

In other words... "We are stupid and pointless. Come here to quote Dr. Who in a pretense of contributing to the literary world."

It's supposed to mean "We're here for your entertainment. If you happen to glean some information out of it, hey bonus. But if you want serious education, go to The Other Wiki, aka, Wikipedia."

If you find "entertainment" to be pointless, well, keep the #**$ away from TVTropes, Hollywood, video games, comic books, most of television, most of the modern internet (back to DARPANet for you!), etc.

In fact, TVTropes has gotten more "stuffy" and "encyclopedic" recently, changing a lot of trope names to be more descriptive and less "in-joke" like. Which is unfortunate, because the in-jokes in the names were pretty fun.
Last edited by Erzengel on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
WolfieMario wrote:

A trope is a cliché.

I would say that all (or most) tropes are a type of cliche, but not all cliches are tropes.
-Adam

EpicanicusStrikes

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

Erzengel wrote:
EpicanicusStrikes wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
WolfieMario wrote:

A trope is a cliché.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage"Tropes are devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations. On the whole, tropes are not clichés."[Edited to remove URL bbcode since I'm not allowed to use it]

Actually, it's supposed to mean "We're here for your entertainment. If you happen to glean some information out of it, hey bonus. But if you want serious education, go to The Other Wiki, aka, Wikipedia."

If you find "entertainment" to be pointless, well, keep the #**$ away from TVTropes, Hollywood, video games, comic books, most of television, most of the modern internet (back to DARPANet for you!), etc.

In fact, TVTropes has gotten more "stuffy" and "encyclopedic" recently, changing a lot of trope names to be more descriptive and less "in-joke" like. Which is unfortunate, because the in-jokes in the names were pretty fun.

TVTropes is the internet equivalent of sitting around a dorm room late at night going "Hey, remember when Gandalf said that wicked awesome thing? Yeah. Let's think of other wicked awesome things that unrelated people said in other movies."

So let me get stoned, first, and I'm sure I'll find it entertaining as hell.

pierreb

Postby pierreb » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:27 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:the logical solution would be to wean cops of street duty gradually as they get older, and eventually give them safe desk jobs. :roll:

I looked at some statistics from the US Bureau of Labor, apparently most desk jobs employees require more sick days than construction workers.

So, the logical solution would be to put the retiring cops on a construction site.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:42 pm UTC

pierreb wrote:I looked at some statistics from the US Bureau of Labor, apparently most desk jobs employees require more sick days than construction workers.

So, the logical solution would be to put the retiring cops on a construction site.

But it's not about sick days. A dead cop doesn't require any sick leave.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”