1110:"Click and Drag"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Re: A tribute to XKCD: Playable comic 1110 (Click and Drag)

Postby Monika » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:04 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
joon wrote:Some friends of mine from Copenhagen made this:
A fully playable version of the Click and Drag comic...
It's a much more interesting way (at least I think so) to explore the vast comic.
Arrow keys to move, space to fly.

http://xkcd.kajakklubben.org/

It's unable to control the baloonman until he lands for the first time.
I like how this isn't a simple "white=air, black=wall".

Yeah that must have been a lot of effort.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Re: A tribute to XKCD: Playable comic 1110 (Click and Drag)

Postby Dthen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:16 am UTC

joon wrote:Some friends of mine from Copenhagen made this:
A fully playable version of the Click and Drag comic...
It's a much more interesting way (at least I think so) to explore the vast comic.
Arrow keys to move, space to fly.

http://xkcd.kajakklubben.org/

Wow.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Hiro Protagonist

Can we have this as an app? please?

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:13 pm UTC

I have not read all15 pages of comments, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I think "Click Drag" could be an awesome iOS app!

Kaden

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby Kaden » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:44 pm UTC

Huh... Looking at this comic again makes me think of the tunnels and caves in "Click & Drag"... I wonder if that was intentional.

:lol: Oh, who am I kidding- I'm sure it was. It seems like everything in "Click & Drag" is a reference to something.

EDIT: Of course, that's a big part of what I love about it. :wink: Even if I don't get a lot of the references.

ethnicolor

Postby ethnicolor » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 pm UTC

The creator is an artist (which is something coming from an agnostic with one wing on atheism and another on pantheism) - I have nothing left but my admiration and RSI.

:)

Basic

Postby Basic » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:15 am UTC

I take it you've all seen the Google Maps-ified version? http://83.166.72.64/xkcd/

(Sorry for double post but the first one is being moderated and I can't edit it! I'll delete ASAP)

AquaGeek

Re: Can we have this as an app? please?

Postby AquaGeek » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

Hiro Protagonist wrote:I think "Click Drag" could be an awesome iOS app!

Done: https://github.com/AquaGeek/xkcd_1110

Maybe I should check with Randall to see if he'd let me submit it to the store (though I'm not sure it'd get approved).

Johnniewifi

Postby Johnniewifi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

I hope this puts an end to RM's "Oh, I can't draw," nonsense.

BigChris

Postby BigChris » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:08 am UTC

This was epic- enough to make me register for the forums just so I could comment on how awesome it is.

Thank you.

sidena

Postby sidena » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:28 pm UTC

Its modern day "The garden of earthly delights".

jpers36

Postby jpers36 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

Since when can new posters post links? I'm not complaining, just surprised.

JediMaster012

Postby JediMaster012 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:21 pm UTC

So I meant to post this closer to the day the comic came out, but I never had a chance, but here goes anyway.

A couple of my friends and I are huge xkcd fans and read it pretty much every day it comes out, and all of us just didn't understand this comic. We originally just didn't care for it, but after reading the responses here, I am beginning to think we just missed a reference.

With most of his previous "big" comics, especially the ones that I thought worked well, like "Online Communities Map", "Lakes and Oceans", and "Gravity Wells" there is an overall encompassing theme. With this one, it seemed to the three of us like it was just a bunch of small, unrelated comics smashed together. Did we all miss something? What is the theme here?

I guess, the root question boils down to this: What is the draw/appeal of this comic?

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:53 am UTC

JediMaster012 wrote:So I meant to post this closer to the day the comic came out, but I never had a chance, but here goes anyway.

A couple of my friends and I are huge xkcd fans and read it pretty much every day it comes out, and all of us just didn't understand this comic. We originally just didn't care for it, but after reading the responses here, I am beginning to think we just missed a reference.

With most of his previous "big" comics, especially the ones that I thought worked well, like "Online Communities Map", "Lakes and Oceans", and "Gravity Wells" there is an overall encompassing theme. With this one, it seemed to the three of us like it was just a bunch of small, unrelated comics smashed together. Did we all miss something? What is the theme here?

I guess, the root question boils down to this: What is the draw/appeal of this comic?

The world is bigger than you think it is, and if you spend enough time you can find some interesting things in it.

Much like the comic.
mu

JediMaster012

Postby JediMaster012 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:25 am UTC

Max™ wrote:The world is bigger than you think it is, and if you spend enough time you can find some interesting things in it.

Much like the comic.

So it was just that it was big? I feel like spending a lot of time on something and making it big doesn't inherently make it good, comic or otherwise. (I hope you never have to read any report I wrote for school!) If that was all, then I guess my friends and I understood it, but just didn't like it.

Don't get me wrong, there are a definitely some funny jokes in there, but I feel that most of them would have worked much better as part of their own comic.

As a separate, related point, I don't know about other people, but I definitely enjoy coming back and re-reading xkcd, and having the presentation as such makes that much harder to do for this comic.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:35 am UTC

It's hard to see everything in the real world too.
mu

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 pm UTC

JediMaster012 wrote:
Max™ wrote:The world is bigger than you think it is, and if you spend enough time you can find some interesting things in it.

Much like the comic.

So it was just that it was big? I feel like spending a lot of time on something and making it big doesn't inherently make it good, comic or otherwise. (I hope you never have to read any report I wrote for school!) If that was all, then I guess my friends and I understood it, but just didn't like it.

Don't get me wrong, there are a definitely some funny jokes in there, but I feel that most of them would have worked much better as part of their own comic.

As a separate, related point, I don't know about other people, but I definitely enjoy coming back and re-reading xkcd, and having the presentation as such makes that much harder to do for this comic.

Yeah, the point of the comic is that it's huge, vast, colossal, enormous... All that space to explore to find everything, or you can just explore some and still find something to enjoy. There isn't one singular punchline - though the extreme left and right each work as an "end".

It's okay to not "get" the comic - the point that the world is a large place full of strange and interesting things is a fairly serious one even if it's being made in a light-hearted way. The entire comic is only about 5 miles across - if it were dry land the whole way instead of including the stretches of water, someone in reasonable shape could walk it in a couple of hours (maybe more, depending on the terrain). You could drop a "life-size" model of the comic in most countries on Earth and have trouble finding it again (at least until the tourist industry starts exploiting it...). The huge comic offers a way to get a sense of perspective and/or scale - it's one thing to hear that the Burj Kalifa is the tallest man-made structure in the world; it's another entirely to click-drag your way up it.

JediMaster012

Postby JediMaster012 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Yeah, the point of the comic is that it's huge, vast, colossal, enormous... All that space to explore to find everything, or you can just explore some and still find something to enjoy. There isn't one singular punchline - though the extreme left and right each work as an "end".

It's okay to not "get" the comic - the point that the world is a large place full of strange and interesting things is a fairly serious one even if it's being made in a light-hearted way. The entire comic is only about 5 miles across - if it were dry land the whole way instead of including the stretches of water, someone in reasonable shape could walk it in a couple of hours (maybe more, depending on the terrain). You could drop a "life-size" model of the comic in most countries on Earth and have trouble finding it again (at least until the tourist industry starts exploiting it...). The huge comic offers a way to get a sense of perspective and/or scale - it's one thing to hear that the Burj Kalifa is the tallest man-made structure in the world; it's another entirely to click-drag your way up it.

So I guess I "got" the comic but just didn't care for it. Thanks for actually taking the time to respond. With all the positive responses, I was afraid people were going to assume trolling! :D

guitar24x7

Postby guitar24x7 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:05 am UTC

Anyone got a link to the full Image yet? (I've been scrolling since it came out. No food, shower, or change of clothes. My manatee died, girlfriend became a lesbian, power and water supply got cut off, and there's something weird going on with my left toe. Still scrolling...)

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:07 am UTC

guitar24x7 wrote:Anyone got a link to the full Image yet? (I've been scrolling since it came out. No food, shower, or change of clothes. My manatee died, girlfriend became a lesbian, power and water supply got cut off, and there's something weird going on with my left toe. Still scrolling...)

I felt rather like that too. The zoomable map one helps, but it still doesn't zoom out far enough to show the whole image.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:
guitar24x7 wrote:Anyone got a link to the full Image yet? (I've been scrolling since it came out. No food, shower, or change of clothes. My manatee died, girlfriend became a lesbian, power and water supply got cut off, and there's something weird going on with my left toe. Still scrolling...)

I felt rather like that too. The zoomable map one helps, but it still doesn't zoom out far enough to show the whole image.

Top of Page 6 of the comments has a map of what is there.
http://sumamimasen.com/xkcd/1110/ Is a version that enables the arrow keys.
Probably some other versions sprinkled throughout the 15 pages of comments.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

I just noticed this Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-style game that's described as a fanfic for xkcd 1110: link.

Tazin

Postby Tazin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

Yeah, i can't join the forums and NOT post on this one particular comic . . . it's great, man, pushing the boundaries of what a webcomic can do. I read through all 15 pages of comments and checked out all the cool stuff people did with this one webcomic. It's amazing how good things inspire more good things. I think i'm going to like it in here.

Tazin

P.S.: i noticed Randall didn't post anything on this thread, not a single "you're welcome" to all the thank you's. Does he ever post in the forums?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:43 am UTC

Tazin wrote:P.S.: i noticed Randall didn't post anything on this thread, not a single "you're welcome" to all the thank you's. Does he ever post in the forums?

No, he hasn't posted anything here for a good 3-4 years...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Jofur

Postby Jofur » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Tazin wrote:P.S.: i noticed Randall didn't post anything on this thread, not a single "you're welcome" to all the thank you's. Does he ever post in the forums?

I don't know... If I were him and I wanted to be humble, I wouldn't look at these forums.
Everybody is doing it and nobody knows why.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

You might be interested to know that back in February Randall said this comic was the best thing he'd ever made. Of course, that was in the land (well, actually, the sea) before Time.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

andrewxc

Postby andrewxc » Thu May 30, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

phlip wrote:No, he hasn't posted anything here for a good 3-4 years...

I read, "No, he hasn't posted anything good here for 3-4 years..."
I thought you wouldn't be that harsh...
"We never do anything well unless we love doing it for its own sake."
Avatar: I made a "plastic carrier" for Towel Day à la So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

Keybounce

Postby Keybounce » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:02 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:i feel kind of sorry for the X-Wing pilot flying up a narrowing shaft, with a closed hatch on the top.

Hey, at least it's out of range of cannons or canons :-)

EDIT: Is there a wiki site for posting the locations of interesting things found?
<this space on hold>

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

There's a list on the explainxkcd.com entry. Or did you mean interesting things found in general? (I'd visit that wiki!)
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

lgw

Postby lgw » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

phlip wrote:

"There are those who believe" that he posted a couple times on the Time thread, pseudonymously, to call our attention to something important we had all missed.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

Rvanbergen

Postby Rvanbergen » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

Has anyone gone to check on this lately? Because I just looked and I got this:

It goes on like that in every direction...

Is that just me, or did something happen?

Also...

adenthedragon

Postby adenthedragon » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:23 am UTC

"If I don't find an end to this comic soon, I'm going to end up in tears."

"Wow. I didn't realize you were so emotional."

"What? No, my hand just hurts."

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:26 am UTC

Rvanbergen wrote:Has anyone gone to check on this lately? Because I just looked and I got this:
<snip>

At this time it seems to work properly here. I didn't check the whole thing though.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Rhombic

Postby Rhombic » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

I finished it at last! Great job!

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:21 am UTC

Rumor has it that it changes slightly after you've viewed it. Are you sure you finished it? Can you ever finish it?

Jose
Spoiler:
Ok, it's a rumor I just might have started myself. Right here, in this post. So sue me!
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:51 am UTC

This comic would have been better if you had to traverse space AND time. Like, you drag, and if you aren't fast enough...you don't get to see the chew beesnakes joke. Uh, I mean, chew bees joke. And then you go the other direction after that...and it's all blank; everyone's gone.

Then the only way to see it all would be to cheat. 8-)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

geekahedron

Postby geekahedron » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:46 pm UTC

I didn't see that it had already been done in this thread, but someone posted (in the IRC chat) with a finished scrollable version of the entire map at full size. Pretty neat.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”