1095: "Crazy Straws"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

chemicalfan

Re: 1095: "Crazy Straws"

Postby chemicalfan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:44 pm UTC

Here's a thought - if you drill down far enough, do you think there are subcultures within atoms? O_o

Vayne

Postby Vayne » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:54 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:You forgot the part where most of the drama starts being people complaining about people acknowledging their hobby in real life or caring too much about it.
Dammit, why does this keep coming back to things that are so EASILY applied to the MLP fandom?
Because we're one of the fastest growing, sensitive and volatile groups in the world?
I wouldn't call bronies volatile. They are usually amicable toward one another. However, when they do fight, things can get real bad.
The majority of them can't take a joke. I can't believe people would actually get offended by THIS.
Spoiler:
mike nelson bronies.png

You can't believe people got offended by being called chubby little pervs, or having their subculture generalised as being made up only of chubby little pervs?

Aside from the fact that that is pretty offensive, there's always going to be a backlash whenever someone you look up to suddenly comes out and puts you/your subculture down. As one of the tweets said a lot of bronies are (or at least were) fans of Mike Nelson/MST3K/Rifftrax, so him coming out and insulting them is going to cut closer to home than it would otherwise.

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:27 pm UTC

chemicalfan wrote:Here's a thought - if you drill down far enough, do you think there are subcultures within atoms? O_o

F***ing Higgs and Boson shippers. (And I refuse to call them Hison!)

kelvinc

Postby kelvinc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

But do they ever merge back?

If regular hobbyist crazy straws split into fractal crazy straws and non-fractal, and then fractal crazy straws split into loop fractals and non-loop fractals, do loop fractal regular crazy straws merge back with the inevitable fractal loop crazy straws?

(I honestly just wanted to say "fractal crazy straws")

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:[The majority of them can't take a joke. I can't believe people would actually get offended by THIS.
Spoiler:
mike nelson bronies.png

Is there supposed to be something interesting here, you chubby little perv?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Shadowman615

Postby Shadowman615 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
full of drama, with friction between the regulars and a splinter group

Welp, time to go take this to Ponychan.
Seriously, it's a mess over there. Of all the websites to have politics and drama... a My Little Pony website. Yup.

Sort of reminds me. About 8 years ago I was living in a garden apartment (as opposed to highrises) where we had Comcast cable TV & Internet. Having newly moved in to the place and the region that year, we noticed that summer that whenever it rained the cable seemed to go out for a short period. I can't remember now but there may have been some other problem as well. So anyway, while everything was working I searched around on the web to find some info and I wandered onto the Comcast newsgroup (alt.cable-services.comcast or something like that).

And this newsgroup turned out to be motherlode of drama and unstable people. I think I asked my question and got an answer, but it looked like nearly every thread on the newsgroup got hijacked by the same people giving the same complaints about comcast, and their followers, followed by the retorts of their enemies/followers. This always evolved (sometimes right away) into the most perverse and dreadful of all-out ad hominem wars. One person was always accused of being some kind of child molester/sexual predator and from what I recall there may even have been some kind of truth to it. Of all groups to find crazies, you'd think a comcast group would be the most benign.

Naturally I spent a lot of time reading that group for about a week or two before it got extremely old. I had to admit it was kind of funny to see someone post something about how they're only getting 2MBPS with a splitter and have someone respond with "WHY DON'T YOU TELL THIS GUY ABOUT HOW YOU SHOWER WITH 8-YEAR-OLD BOYS, DR.F921?!?"

Spoe

Postby Spoe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

Himself wrote:Wouldn't the bottom be the individual, or is there some smaller unit of subculture? Does that mean I'm my own subculture?

Depends. Do you have dissociative identity disorder (aka multiple personalities)?

communisteggplant

Postby communisteggplant » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

I liked the earlier crazy straw designs better, before they got all commercialized and standardized.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:11 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:You forgot the part where most of the drama starts being people complaining about people acknowledging their hobby in real life or caring too much about it.

You want to see drama and people caring too much? There's a subreddit (Reddit, obviously) called How To Not Give A Fuck. And if there's one place you should go to see people giving too much of a fuck, and at extreme length, it's this place.

It would be like writing a 100 volume essay in living a Taoist life.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 pm UTC

communisteggplant wrote:I liked the earlier crazy straw designs better, before they got all commercialized and standardized.
No, commercialization is what brought crazy straws to the masses and cemented their place in history. Without commercialization, the world would still be drinking form bendy straws. Commercial designs are based on the earlier designs anyway.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:
communisteggplant wrote:I liked the earlier crazy straw designs better, before they got all commercialized and standardized.
No, commercialization is what brought crazy straws to the masses and cemented their place in history. Without commercialization, the world would still be drinking form bendy straws. Commercial designs are based on the earlier designs anyway.

But it ripped the crazy straws away from their artistic roots and sanitized them. Since commercialization, they've lost so much of themselves with an adherence to a safe and sterile uniformity with a rigidly defined notion of what 'crazy' is. Go back and see the crazy straws when they were created free of commercial pressures and influences to see some truly Crazy straws. When spirit and passion went into creating them and imbuing them with wild screaming insanity.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:

But it ripped the crazy straws away from their artistic roots and sanitized them. Since commercialization, they've lost so much of themselves with an adherence to a safe and sterile uniformity with a rigidly defined notion of what 'crazy' is. Go back and see the crazy straws when they were created free of commercial pressures and influences to see some truly Crazy straws. When spirit and passion went into creating them and imbuing them with wild screaming insanity.
Do you know who else liked wild screaming insanity? Hitler. Go back to touching little boys and let the pros get the job done the way it's supposed to be.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

AdmiralGreene

Postby AdmiralGreene » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:
pkcommando wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:

Do you know who else liked wild screaming insanity? Hitler. Go back to touching little boys and let the pros get the job done the way it's supposed to be.

Godwin's law much?
I suppose I should state something clever, no?

Dragons!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:13 pm UTC

Speaking of crazy straws, does anyone know of a good way to clean them out? My son likes them, but it seems that the crazier they are, the more likely they are to just turn into bacteria factories. I runn hot water through them, and try pipe cleaners, but sometimes it is just too difficult to get a pipe cleaner all the way through a truly crazy straw. I've boiled them a few times, but even then sometimes debris remains caught in the middle.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

Shadowman615 wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:
full of drama, with friction between the regulars and a splinter group

Welp, time to go take this to Ponychan.
Seriously, it's a mess over there. Of all the websites to have politics and drama... a My Little Pony website. Yup.

Sort of reminds me. About 8 years ago I was living in a garden apartment (as opposed to highrises) where we had Comcast cable TV & Internet. Having newly moved in to the place and the region that year, we noticed that summer that whenever it rained the cable seemed to go out for a short period. I can't remember now but there may have been some other problem as well. So anyway, while everything was working I searched around on the web to find some info and I wandered onto the Comcast newsgroup (alt.cable-services.comcast or something like that).
[snip]

Interesting. Well, did your Comcast group have strife between users and moderators? Did it have love triangles within the moderator team? Was there a so-called "alt.cable-services.comcast Illuminati"? Was there ever rampant sockpuppetting on the part of one of the admin's alleged friends, and/or multiple people using that friend's name? Did any of these people eventually commit suicide due to a combination of the site drama and the fact he was about to be deployed? And also that person was in a relationship with one of the mods?

And most importantly: Did anyone ever write fanfiction about it?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:36 pm UTC

AdmiralGreene wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:
pkcommando wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:

Godwin's law much?

I love this. XD
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

sam_i_am

Postby sam_i_am » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:05 pm UTC

Quicksilver wrote:You're wrong Randall. There's always a bottom of subcultures. It's called "4Chan"

Damn you got majorly ninja'd there; making that comment IMMEDIATELY below a comment referencing drama within specific *chans

Glitchy

Postby Glitchy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:01 pm UTC

surrealize wrote:
Human subcultures are nested fractally

I first noticed this when I started learning about the doctrinal disagreements between all the different Protestant churches.

Well, at least Protestants have an excuse, what with there being no central governing body for them. Catholics, on the other hand...

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:

You want to see drama and people caring too much? There's a subreddit (Reddit, obviously) called How To Not Give A Fuck. And if there's one place you should go to see people giving too much of a fuck, and at extreme length, it's this place.

It would be like writing a 100 volume essay in living a Taoist life.

I'm not going to any place with a split infinitive in the title.

Also, Mahler fans are bronies of the musical world
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

WarKirby

Postby WarKirby » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

wow yes, this rings so true.
in any remotely popular topic, such as a popular game, there tends to be a huge community built up around it, dividing themselves variously, an often not even talking about the game at all. modmod teams in civilisation IV come to mind. literally modifiers of mods. and there were quite a few modmodmods too.

i wouldn't say that subcultures are entirely fractal though, it's more like cells. Whenever they reach a critical size, they split and the new parts keep growing, creating more and more generations of children.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:48 am UTC

What if you're part of rivalling subcultures?

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:07 am UTC

In the loop sub-culture of crazy straw hobbyists, some people prefer individual, separated loops (fig. A), while others prefer their loops to be organised more like coils (fig. b).

Out of the coil proponents, there's a distinct separation between those who prefer their coils to be spring-shaped, like a slinky (fig. C), and those who like their crazy straw coils to be spirals (fig. d).
crazy_straw.jpg

I don't want to start a flame war in here, but I will say that I'm of the belief that springs provide the optimal amount of fun, both visually and in terms of interaction with the glass and its holder.

Quicksilver wrote:You're wrong Randall. There's always a bottom of subcultures. It's called "4Chan"

But this is objectively wrong. 4chan is intrinsically a collection of sub-cultures, and it seems most users of the site only visit a few of the boards while never looking at the rest.

Even within the boards there are so many and large sub-sub-cultures that they regularly need to be split into their own sub-cultures. Examples being /mlp/ which was created to accommodate the large number of people from /b/ who were overwhelming the place with their My Little Pony-related material, and /vp/ which in the same vein was created when the Pokémon sub-culture of /v/ outgrew their corner of the larger video gaming community.

Finally, some more crazy straws, loops again, but this time separated, not springs or spirals.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:53 am UTC

Ugh, the woman just told me she prefers chaotic straw designs... I don't think the relationship can survive this.
mu

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:19 am UTC

You're better off without her.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:02 pm UTC

What about fractal-crazy-straws?

Lynx Cat

Postby Lynx Cat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:05 pm UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:
crazy_straw.jpg

I don't want to start a flame war in here, but I will say that I'm of the belief that springs provide the optimal amount of fun, both visually and in terms of interaction with the glass and its holder.

Sorry to destroy your little fantasy world, but there's a glaring flaw with your oh so praised straw design in figure C above: the direction of rotation changes all of a sudden at the top of the straw. That goes way beyond "crazy" and into sheer madness.

...anyway, this (but mostly the allusion to xkcd 915) reminds me of the time when my university went on strike and I spent several months just putzing around at home. I spent much of that time watching Cartoon Network, and especially liked the "classic" Warner Brothers hour. After a while, it got to the point where I was able to tell, after just a couple seconds, when any given cartoon was made (within 5 years or so), based just on the animation. I literally became a vintage-Warner-Brothers-cartoon conoisseur. So I imagine that, if there were several people in that same condition (who am I kidding, I'm sure there are), they'd probably form bitter and embattled subcultures with lots of flame wars going around. Something like this:

"Man, you gotta admit, the joke about 'hare tonic - stops falling hare' was pure GENIUS. That's what defines art."

"Yeah, that's just like you. Why don't you drop the pretenses and go suck Bugs Bunny off right away? You'd think he's the only WB character ever created, from your stupid posts."

"That just proves to everyone that you are clearly incapable of understanding basic English. I've said time and again that 'Snowbody Loves Me' is easily in my top three."

"Oh, there you go again. Takes a retard like you to keep trying to bring fucking Tom & Jerry into what everybody with an IQ with more than a single digit knows is a WB forum."

"*sigh* Well, you've just shown that you are the one who's clearly mentally ill. First, the name of the forum is Classic Cartoon Central, not Little Chuck Jones Wankfest; second, T&J runs back-to-back with WB on Cartoon Network, which is understood by all sentient beings as the baseline of our discussion; and third, it's a work of art more than worthy of inclusion in the hall of animated luminaries, for its early 30's work alone."

"Are you seriously bringing that stupid year shit here again? Some people. You'll praise any festering pile of crap to high hell as long as it's got a date earlier than 1935 stamped on it. Why do you make such a huge effort to ignore the sheer brilliance of Chuck Jones's wartime work?"

"Yeah, yeah, we all know you've got a big throbbing hardon for anything in uniform. 'Me love you long time, soldier'. Besides, Chuck Jones could never in a million years hold a candle to the artistic genius of Friz Freleng."

"Oh come on, that talentless hack? Double-F (named after his grades in art school) couldn't draw his way into his mother's fridge!"

"You know who else hated Jews such as Freleng? HITLER."
LIVE FOREVER OR DIE TRYING

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:38 pm UTC

Glitchy wrote:Well, at least Protestants have an excuse, what with there being no central governing body for them. Catholics, on the other hand...

In the analogy, the Catholics are the professionals, with their own industry-standards, etc., while the Protestants are the hobbyists disagreeing with each other constantly and forming new subgroups as a result.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:38 pm UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:F***ing Higgs and Boson shippers. (And I refuse to call them Hison!)

Biggs!
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Freleng is great.
mu

ekolis

Postby ekolis » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:23 pm UTC

surrealize wrote:
Human subcultures are nested fractally

I first noticed this when I started learning about the doctrinal disagreements between all the different Protestant churches.

Ah yes, the classic joke about the guy about to jump off a bridge who was comforted by a fellow believer, only to be pushed off by said fellow believer after the discovery of the suicidal man's minute heresy! :P
Reading posts on the xkcd forum makes me feel stupid.

ekolis

Postby ekolis » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

By the way, this comic should have been saved for #1156, since that is 34 squared...

edit: oops, meant 1156, not 1136!

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:
Glitchy wrote:Well, at least Protestants have an excuse, what with there being no central governing body for them. Catholics, on the other hand...

In the analogy, the Catholics are the professionals, with their own industry-standards, etc., while the Protestants are the hobbyists disagreeing with each other constantly and forming new subgroups as a result.
Watch out for the Orthodox!
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

ekolis

Postby ekolis » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:26 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:In the analogy, the Catholics are the professionals, with their own industry-standards, etc., while the Protestants are the hobbyists disagreeing with each other constantly and forming new subgroups as a result.

So Catholics are Windows, Protestants are Linux, and Orthodox are Mac?

Rotherian

Postby Rotherian » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:
Carteeg_Struve wrote:F***ing Higgs and Boson shippers. (And I refuse to call them Hison!)

Biggs!

Image ?
There are two general categories of opinion: regular opinions and informed opinions.
Please do not argue with me unless your opinion falls into the latter category.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:54 pm UTC

Rotherian wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:

Biggs!

Image ?

any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Rotherian

Postby Rotherian » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:22 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
Rotherian wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:

Biggs!

Image ?

There are two general categories of opinion: regular opinions and informed opinions.
Please do not argue with me unless your opinion falls into the latter category.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:28 pm UTC

Hosons?

Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

dzamie

Postby dzamie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 am UTC

Vayne wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:
Dammit, why does this keep coming back to things that are so EASILY applied to the MLP fandom?
Because we're one of the fastest growing, sensitive and volatile groups in the world?
I wouldn't call bronies volatile. They are usually amicable toward one another. However, when they do fight, things can get real bad.
The majority of them can't take a joke. I can't believe people would actually get offended by THIS.
Spoiler:
mike nelson bronies.png

You can't believe people got offended by being called chubby little pervs, or having their subculture generalised as being made up only of chubby little pervs?

Aside from the fact that that is pretty offensive, there's always going to be a backlash whenever someone you look up to suddenly comes out and puts you/your subculture down. As one of the tweets said a lot of bronies are (or at least were) fans of Mike Nelson/MST3K/Rifftrax, so him coming out and insulting them is going to cut closer to home than it would otherwise.

I don't actually have much to say on the subject past that some bronies are more sensitive to insults than others, and the main reason I did this was because the quotes are looking a bit like a pyramid now. :D

Code: Select all

:Clrhome
:while 1
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16),randInt(0,9))
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16)," ")
:Output(randInt(1,8),randInt(1,16)," ")
:End

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:22 am UTC

ekolis wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:In the analogy, the Catholics are the professionals, with their own industry-standards, etc., while the Protestants are the hobbyists disagreeing with each other constantly and forming new subgroups as a result.

So Catholics are Windows, Protestants are Linux, and Orthodox are Mac?

I'd say Judaism is Windows, stodgy, good for business.
While Christianity is Apple, Judaism repackaged in a shiny and hip new wrapper, lots of choices that amount to the same exact thing.
Linux is all about making your own way, so I guess that's New Age bullshit?
mu

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:55 am UTC

Max™ wrote:I'd say Judaism is Windows, stodgy, good for business.
While Christianity is Apple, Judaism repackaged in a shiny and hip new wrapper, lots of choices that amount to the same exact thing.

Er, except that Apple (and even the Mac, which is probably what you mean) predates Windows, Windows took a bunch of Mac concepts and spread them out across the masses while Mac stayed relatively small and isolated and was universally shat upon and degraded by the rest of the world, and now Windows has a brazillion different editions to choose from while for most intents and purposes Mac is Mac and nobody cares to hear about the exceptions to that (Darwin, OSX Server, various hackintoshes).

So if anything, your analogy should be the other way around: the Mac is Judaism, Windows is Christianity.

And the Xerox Alto was the Akenhaten's cult of Aten.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”