1093: "Forget"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ekolis

Re: 1093: "Forget"

Postby ekolis » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

Hitler is not on the list?

OH GOD... We're doomed! :shock:
Reading posts on the xkcd forum makes me feel stupid.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:23 am UTC

ekolis wrote:Hitler is not on the list?

We'll probably forget Moses before we forget Hitler.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:34 am UTC

J Thomas wrote:
ekolis wrote:Hitler is not on the list?

We'll probably forget Moses before we forget Hitler.

I think six million Jews is likely more than there were in the whole world at the time* of Moses, and being burned alive in an oven full of your screaming friends and family is probably a worse harm than the slavery Moses freed* his people from, so yeah, that would probably make sense. Moses freed a few orders of magnitude fewer Jews than Hitler burned alive, so Hitler really made the bigger immediate impact just on the Jewish population alone, never mind the world as a whole.

*(Presuming such a person of Moses actually existed at any time and did the things attributed to him, which is a questionable presumption).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

J L

Postby J L » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:58 am UTC

With all due consideration to this sensitive subject, I think the (very powerful) picture you're evoking is not quite correct (strictly historically speaking, but we're in a thread about forgetting and remembering "how it was"). The industrialized mass murder in the concentration camps was carried out mostly by means of the gas chambers. The crematories were mostly used for burning the bodies. It makes no difference to your argument though. And if you (or anyone) has any sources indicating the contrary, please correct me.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:23 am UTC

Saw someone make a comment about future historians to the effect of "6000 years ago is when George Washington and Napoleon fought Hitler because he was throwing Italians into gas chambers", more or less.
mu

ekolis

Postby ekolis » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:16 am UTC

Max™ wrote:Saw someone make a comment about future historians to the effect of "6000 years ago is when George Washington and Napoleon fought Hitler because he was throwing Italians into gas chambers", more or less.

Forsooth, dost thou grok mine jive?
Reading posts on the xkcd forum makes me feel stupid.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:32 am UTC

ekolis wrote:
Max™ wrote:Saw someone make a comment about future historians to the effect of "6000 years ago is when George Washington and Napoleon fought Hitler because he was throwing Italians into gas chambers", more or less.

Forsooth, dost thou grok mine jive?

Found the quote: http://forums.spacebattles.com/members/ixjac.426/

"Six thousand years ago is like. . . when Hitler was throwing Italians into the gas chambers while he fought Napoleon and George Washington."
-Shrike, on future historians

Was on spacebattles, rofl.
mu

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:54 pm UTC

DanD wrote:The Challenger Disaster is the earliest clearly datable memory I have.

We watched this live in first grade (because Christa MacAuliffe was on-board, and she was from NH). When it exploded, some of the kids cheered (like it was fireworks) while the teachers cried.

I cried, too.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

charlesshields

Postby charlesshields » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:43 pm UTC

ive already forgotten most of these

Max™

Postby Max™ » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:39 pm UTC

Wasn't the first shuttle launch I had watched, but yeah, my mom said my eyes just filled up with tears and I went to grab my encyclopedias to try and figure out what happened.
mu

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Max™ wrote:Wasn't the first shuttle launch I had watched, but yeah, my mom said my eyes just filled up with tears and I went to grab my encyclopedias to try and figure out what happened.

Encyclo-what?

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:44 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:
Max™ wrote:Wasn't the first shuttle launch I had watched, but yeah, my mom said my eyes just filled up with tears and I went to grab my encyclopedias to try and figure out what happened.

Encyclo-what?

It's like a wiki made out of wood.
mu

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:01 am UTC

Man, grandpa, was everything made outta wood in you day? I betcha even you spaceships was made outta wood. That's prolly why they asploded, neh?

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:43 am UTC

You laugh, but the wood was a significant upgrade from the stone versions!
mu

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:25 pm UTC

Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:49 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Man, grandpa, was everything made outta wood in you day? I betcha even you spaceships was made outta wood. That's prolly why they asploded, neh?

Hey! Don't knock wooden spaceships. James Blish used them in "Surface Tension" (1952)
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:37 pm UTC

mu

peteispo

Postby peteispo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:13 am UTC

Look, I don't really want to appear picky, but "Princess Diana" is incorrect - she was never correctly titled thus. She was "Diana, Princess of Wales", or "The Princess of Wales". Only those born as princesses get to use the form "Princess X" - that is daughters of kings/queens and daughters of princes.
There are a few "Princess X" in Britain: Alexandra; Anne; Beatrice and Eugenie. Lady Louise Windsor uses the style of an Earl's daughter (which she is, after all), and Zara Phillips is not a male-line granddaughter of the Queen, so probably wouldn't be Princess Zara even if she wanted.
The British Royal Family were pretty fed up with the "Princess Diana" thing, which is why they tend to give their princes a new title at their wedding - thus avoiding the horrors of "Princess Fergie" (Duchess of York), "Princess Sophie" (Countess Wessex) and "Princess Kate" (Duchess of Cambridge.)
Lord knows what Harry would bring to the mix: "Princess Chelsea"?

jpers36

Postby jpers36 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm UTC

peteispo wrote:Look, I don't really want to appear picky, but "Princess Diana" is incorrect - she was never correctly titled thus. She was "Diana, Princess of Wales", or "The Princess of Wales". Only those born as princesses get to use the form "Princess X" - that is daughters of kings/queens and daughters of princes.
There are a few "Princess X" in Britain: Alexandra; Anne; Beatrice and Eugenie. Lady Louise Windsor uses the style of an Earl's daughter (which she is, after all), and Zara Phillips is not a male-line granddaughter of the Queen, so probably wouldn't be Princess Zara even if she wanted.
The British Royal Family were pretty fed up with the "Princess Diana" thing, which is why they tend to give their princes a new title at their wedding - thus avoiding the horrors of "Princess Fergie" (Duchess of York), "Princess Sophie" (Countess Wessex) and "Princess Kate" (Duchess of Cambridge.)

I thank God that my country fought a war of independence to free us from this nonsense.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

jpers36 wrote:
peteispo wrote:Look, I don't really want to appear picky, but "Princess Diana" is incorrect - she was never correctly titled thus. She was "Diana, Princess of Wales", or "The Princess of Wales". Only those born as princesses get to use the form "Princess X" - that is daughters of kings/queens and daughters of princes.

I thank God that my country fought a war of independence to free us from this nonsense.

That's the difference between Americans and Brits
You fought a war to free yourselves from it, we we just given the freedom to ignore it.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

I thought the war was ostensibly* to be freed from the rule of the monarchy, not the silly titles, we've still got silly titles and retarded pomp and circumstance.

*It was mostly so rich white dudes could get richer on their own terms without dealing with bullshit from across the ocean; America was founded on two things: lies, and dead brown people.
mu

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:I thought the war was ostensibly* to be freed from the rule of the monarchy, not the silly titles, we've still got silly titles and retarded pomp and circumstance.

Technically titles of nobility have always been illegal in the United States.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:53 am UTC

Meh, derail is derail.

Yeah, nobility is verboten, but that doesn't change that we have always had our own wealth based version of royalty who long ago bought the country, and that the puppets those people play with carry meaningless titles like "president" and "speaker of the house" and so forth.
mu

AdmiralGreene

Postby AdmiralGreene » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:59 am UTC

Max™ wrote:Yeah, nobility is verboten, but that doesn't change that we have always had our own wealth based version of royalty who long ago bought the country, and that the puppets those people play with carry meaningless titles like "president" and "speaker of the house" and so forth.

Not sure if troll or conspiracy theorist.
I suppose I should state something clever, no?

Dragons!

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 am UTC

AdmiralGreene wrote:
Max™ wrote:Yeah, nobility is verboten, but that doesn't change that we have always had our own wealth based version of royalty who long ago bought the country, and that the puppets those people play with carry meaningless titles like "president" and "speaker of the house" and so forth.

Not sure if troll or conspiracy theorist.

I belong to the George Carlin school of thought with regards to the government: "there's a big fucking club, and you and I aren't in it", I see no reason to think he is wrong.
mu

AdmiralGreene

Postby AdmiralGreene » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:32 am UTC

Well excuse me but I am in that club.

Dragons!

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:53 am UTC

What are you doing posting here then? :P
mu

AdmiralGreene

Postby AdmiralGreene » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:54 am UTC

I find it amusing to interact with the commoners every once in a while.

Dragons!

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:08 am UTC

AdmiralGreene wrote:I find it amusing to interact with the commoners every once in a while.

How gracious, thank you sir.
mu

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:26 am UTC

When I was young, I had to walk across the entire floor to change the TV channel.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:43 am UTC

mikrit wrote:When I was young, I had to walk across the entire floor to change the TV channel.

That's what younger siblings were for...

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:57 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:When I was young, I had to walk across the entire floor to change the TV channel.

Was it uphill both ways? Through snow drifts??
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:

When I was little the universe hadn't yet unfurled enough for the 3 spatial dimensions as we know them to exist so we had to walk n-hill n-ways through singularity drifts!
mu

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:47 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
The floor was lava, obviously.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:07 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:The floor was lava, obviously.

Ohhhh, we used to dream of havin' a floor of lava. Woulda' been a palace to us.

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/monty-python-four-yorkshiremen.html
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

mixh

Postby mixh » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:07 am UTC

madchild wrote:Wow, this is a completely crazy perspective to me. The are still people alive that remember the existence of the Soviet Union? I think of this stuff as ancient history, not something that happened to real people. I guess I can look forward to seeing this kind of stuff happen in my lifetime. Or maybe it already has and I haven't even noticed. (Also: How soon do you think people will forget about Justin Bieber?)

Nobody alive remembers the existence of the Soviet Union as (a) in the west we were all stoned out of our brains (b) in the East they were all drunk on fermented bootpolish (overfulfilled production n-years stupid) and (c) they didn't have televisions in the 3rd world. But by the study of military expenditure we can still deduce its existence.

Who the fuck is Justin Bieber?

mixh

Postby mixh » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:29 am UTC

jpers36 wrote:

So why is it that even Americans stand up for the Halleluyah Chorus because the grandaddy of George III did? (GII was gd to GIII, prince Fred having predeceased).

mixh

Postby mixh » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:38 am UTC

Max™ wrote:Meh, derail is derail.

Yeah, nobility is verboten, but that doesn't change that we have always had our own wealth based version of royalty who long ago bought the country, and that the puppets those people play with carry meaningless titles like "president" and "speaker of the house" and so forth.

And that should be added to any advert about democracy.

mixh

Postby mixh » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:42 am UTC

And there was only one TV channel.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:46 am UTC

mixh wrote:

And there was only one TV channel.

TV you say? Is that the fancy new radio with pictures?

I hear that Marconi lad is using several of Tesla's patents, but he's a good kid nonetheless.
mu

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”