1093: "Forget"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

johnmarkos

Re: 1093: "Forget"

Postby johnmarkos » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:03 am UTC

I remember Nixon's resignation, and I was born in November, 1970. Why? Because my parents moved the TV into the dining room for the occasion.

Note to parents: if you want your young kids to remember a cultural event, do something weird with the TV.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:36 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
J Thomas wrote:
ekolis wrote:Hitler is not on the list?

OH GOD... We're doomed! :shock:

We'll probably forget Moses before we forget Hitler.

I think six million Jews is likely more than there were in the whole world at the time* of Moses, ....

*(Presuming such a person of Moses actually existed at any time and did the things attributed to him, which is a questionable presumption).

If you believe the story, Moses took a census and found 600,000 MAMs. That's the sort of thing he could probably get mostly right, and it's the sort of number that could probably be remembered accurately to one digit for a long time. It was surely more than 10% of the population, so I think you are right.

There's room for some quibbling about the death camp numbers. It could have been as low as 3 million Jews, or even 2 million, or even less. I think this is because there was a whole lot of immediate execution going on, and a great many people didn't survive to reach the death camps. Attempts to be precise with the numbers don't at all justify antisemitic attempts to minimize the tragedy.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:44 am UTC

mixh wrote:Nobody alive remembers the existence of the Soviet Union as (a) in the west we were all stoned out of our brains (b) in the East they were all drunk on fermented bootpolish (overfulfilled production n-years stupid) and (c) they didn't have televisions in the 3rd world. But by the study of military expenditure we can still deduce its existence.

Are you saying that the existence of the USSR is the only possible explanation for the current US military budget?

You have a point.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

koreiryuu

Postby koreiryuu » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:29 pm UTC

I gotta say, realizing people were going to one day forget Pluto was a planet made me sad inside.
Wilson: "How'd you get here?"
House: "Osmosis."

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:45 am UTC

koreiryuu wrote:I gotta say, realizing people were going to one day forget Pluto was a planet made me sad inside.

No but you see, the IAU declaration wasn't "Pluto isn't a planet anymore", it was "Pluto doesn't meet the criteria for planethood". Unless something about Pluto changed in the meantime, which I don't think anybody's positing, the IAU's declaration amounts to "There has never been a planet Pluto". Our children will merely be spared the old ungoodthink about the existence of a supposed planet Pluto.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

TrueNarnian

Postby TrueNarnian » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:22 pm UTC

By 2041, we'll have discovered so many new exoplanets that even the Americans who are old enough to remember Pluto won't care about that tiny dwarf planet people used to think was a big deal.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”