1089:"Internal Monologue"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1089:"Internal Monologue"

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:03 am UTC

Alt text:"Oh right, eye contact. Ok, good, holding the eye contact ... holding ... still holding ... ok, too long! Getting weird! Quick, look thoughtfully into space and nod. Oh, dammit, said 'yeah' again!"
Jesus, did I just say that? Or just think it?
Last edited by Quicksilver on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

asdfzxc

Re: 1089:"Internal Monologue"

Postby asdfzxc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:04 am UTC

I'm glad I'm not the only one

also I will always be 5 seconds too late with the thread

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:06 am UTC

At least internal monologue is still less disturbing than internal dialogue. Or internal forum war.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:13 am UTC

This must be what my subconscious is doing all the time.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

creaothceann

Postby creaothceann » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:26 am UTC

There are people with internal dialogues? Weird... :|

Hypoon

Postby Hypoon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:35 am UTC

As an alternative to being so self-conscious, one could simply listen to what the person was saying...! Engaging in the conversation works surprisingly well when trying to leave them with a good impression. That's not to say that being so self-conscious will leave them with a BAD impression (that's not likely at all), you just have to be careful about not leaving any impression at all.

Then again, this is coming from a person who talks too much (this post started off at least three times as long as it is now).

Schmorgluck

Postby Schmorgluck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:38 am UTC

Next time you look at someone in the eyes, ask yourself where exactly your eyes are actually focused.

Yeah, I know. You're welcome. :twisted:

gormster

Postby gormster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:47 am UTC

So, I guess Randall has Asperger's?
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

Istaro

Postby Istaro » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:23 am UTC

It's a continuum, and we're all somewhere on it.

idisjunction

Postby idisjunction » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:40 am UTC

Just drink another cocktail. You'll feel better soon.

m1el

Postby m1el » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:43 am UTC

Every time this happens to me, in the end I ask myself: if one is trying to use logic for social interactions such as eye contact, gestures and mimics, is it a definite sign of Aspenger's?

Schmorgluck

Postby Schmorgluck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:46 am UTC

gormster wrote:So, I guess Randall has Asperger's?

Looks more like social anxiety disorder to me.

Gye

Postby Gye » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:30 am UTC

I, too, am always wondering if I am smung enough.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:32 am UTC

IGNORE THIS POST
Last edited by flicky1991 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:04 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Xavios

Postby Xavios » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:33 am UTC

If it were my internal monologue, it would be mainly wondering why I wasn't holding a drink, and who this smug sonbitch who WAS holding a drink thinks he is.

Look, buddy.

meTaAU

Postby meTaAU » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:39 am UTC

Used to have this problem. Replaced it with "Isn't this person lucky to be talking to me", followed by my internal monologue turning off and me being able to converse.

Exkakx

Postby Exkakx » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:05 am UTC

hah, this is totally me. Every single conversation. :(
I'm too awesome for a signature...

xmillion

Postby xmillion » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:06 am UTC

I do this. I also listen to what they are saying, but I listen so intently that I forget to respond when it's time to do so :(

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:20 am UTC

I used to do this, and then I realized that carrying on a conversation is a lot like learning from a lecture, or having sex, or for that matter just about anything: if you stop focusing all your energy on trying to do it well and simply engage with the subject and do it, you'll do great.

Don't focus on your note-taking techniques, selecting the most relevant pieces of information as the professor spits them out and writing them down in your optimized shorthand. Just listen to the lecture, think about what he's saying, ask questions as they come to you, engage with him.

Don't focus on how well you're performing or how long you'll last, or about sports or math or whatever you try to think of to not think about those things. Just enjoy yourself, enjoy your partner, try things as they occur to you, and engage with them.

Don't do what this guy does in this comic. Just listen to the person you're talking to, think about what they're saying, ask questions as they come to you, engage with them.

I know it's all easier said than done, but that's because it's not about doing anything. It's about non-doing things.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Quartic

Postby Quartic » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:24 am UTC

I find this comic even funnier in a Wheatley voice - particularly the alt text.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:29 am UTC

As others mentioned, that sounds more like social anxiety.

I can't speak for all aspies, but it's a little more like Jane Goodall for me.

I know enough that I can identify certain behaviors, and often interpret motivations accurately... but there is an entire level of interaction I am not privy to.

Still fun at times, though I reserve the right to randomly leave and go climb a tree at any time if I need to calm down.
mu

prismatist

Postby prismatist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:55 am UTC

Totally reminds me of at least half the content of this comic:

If you are interested, www.uncomfortablefish.com or uncomfortablefish.tumblr.com
Last edited by prismatist on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Maybe Not

Postby Maybe Not » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:19 am UTC

I think this could have been titled "Full Spectrum Turing Test"

JeromeWest

Postby JeromeWest » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:43 am UTC

Gye wrote:I, too, am always wondering if I am smung enough.

Heh. I never have that problem.

samglover25

Postby samglover25 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 am UTC

Anyone want a social situations tip? If somebody asks you what you thought of a movie/play/whatever, if you answer, "it was good", people will look at you as if you're a moron. However, if you answer "I really enjoyed it", people will look at you as if you're rather intelligent. I've never known why this works, but apparently there is a significant difference in those two expressions.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:21 am UTC

Inner monologue while viewing this comic:

"Is there just one person talking? Oh it's a thought bubble. I wonder if there is a reference to an older comic. I know that there is a few about parties. Oh wait I'm drifting. O.k. so this one seems to be about a party. Are there any physics references? I'm sure I'm going to have to google this one. That's ok, I can ask people on the forums. Oh, I'm drifting again. I hope they don't use names in this thing. Am I reading this out loud? No, I'm definitely reading this in my head. O.k.. Good, I've gotten through the first sentence."
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:50 pm UTC

samglover25 wrote:Anyone want a social situations tip? If somebody asks you what you thought of a movie/play/whatever, if you answer, "it was good", people will look at you as if you're a moron. However, if you answer "I really enjoyed it", people will look at you as if you're rather intelligent. I've never known why this works, but apparently there is a significant difference in those two expressions.

"I really enjoyed it" is an objective statement about your subjective experience of it. It puts you on safe ground - about the only way someone could successfully challenge you on it is if you've previously said that you didn't enjoy it.

"it was good" is a statement about its objective quality, so is open to challenge and disproof. It represents you setting yourself up as an arbiter of taste.

Of course, if you want to be subversive about it, you could say "It was good, but I didn't enjoy it" - suggesting both that you are an impartial arbiter of quality and that you have personal tastes that don't align with quality.

Anyway, if you're going to say "X was good", you'd better have the reputation, the qualifications, or the knowledge to back it up, or you'll find yourself being dismissed as a poser...

maxQ

Postby maxQ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:"I really enjoyed it" is an objective statement about your subjective experience of it. It puts you on safe ground - about the only way someone could successfully challenge you on it is if you've previously said that you didn't enjoy it.

"it was good" is a statement about its objective quality, so is open to challenge and disproof. It represents you setting yourself up as an arbiter of taste.

Of course, if you want to be subversive about it, you could say "It was good, but I didn't enjoy it" - suggesting both that you are an impartial arbiter of quality and that you have personal tastes that don't align with quality.

Anyway, if you're going to say "X was good", you'd better have the reputation, the qualifications, or the knowledge to back it up, or you'll find yourself being dismissed as a poser...

This is a good post.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

maxQ wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:"I really enjoyed it" is an objective statement about your subjective experience of it. It puts you on safe ground - about the only way someone could successfully challenge you on it is if you've previously said that you didn't enjoy it.

This is a good post.

I really enjoyed it.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:31 pm UTC

This is just trolling for "GOOMHR" posts.

Noah1989

Postby Noah1989 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:34 pm UTC

To solve this problem, I developed HuSIBL, the Human Social Interaction Behavior Layer model. It is designed to determine appropriate behavior for any given social context and provide ways of establishing higher social contexts such as friendships and relationships from existing ones. It just works fine :)

Schema

Postby Schema » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

Noah1989 wrote:To solve this problem, I developed HuSIBL, the Human Social Interaction Behavior Layer model. It is designed to determine appropriate behavior for any given social context and provide ways of establishing higher social contexts such as friendships and relationships from existing ones. It just works fine :)

Download link??

gormster

Postby gormster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:

As others mentioned, that sounds more like social anxiety.

I can't speak for all aspies, but it's a little more like Jane Goodall for me.

I know enough that I can identify certain behaviors, and often interpret motivations accurately... but there is an entire level of interaction I am not privy to.

Still fun at times, though I reserve the right to randomly leave and go climb a tree at any time if I need to calm down.

I'm not sure this is social anxiety. At least, from what I've heard, people suffering from Aspergers feel like they have to do this in order to appear "normal", because they can't read the social cues everyone else sees. I'm pretty sure social anxiety is the feeling that everyone secretly hates you and is only hanging out with you out of some kind of obligation.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

This is Jack's deep resounding doubt that Randall Munroe is more self conscious and awkward than I am.

But then again I suppose he seems cool cuz he's surrounded by his posse, and usually a bunch of other people I'm self-conscious around, and I feel even more awkward because he's fucking Randall Munroe! (no this even happens when I'm with the people who make me most comfortable, possibly in the whole world, (the camberville XKCD contingent) and he's around.)

I think he's the type of person who mostly talks about actual things and occasionally makes clever jokes about them, and I'm the kind of person who mostly likes making jokes and likes them even better when they're about actual things. I want to learn math and comp sci, so I can make (and get) clever jokes about them.

Maybe I just need to realize there's nothing to be worried about, he's more afraid than I am. ;-) Which actually is something I already worry about..."eep celebrity! Don't scare it away! Leave it alone, let it do it's thing! Don't approach it or it'll get scared away!"

gormster wrote:I'm pretty sure social anxiety is the feeling that everyone secretly hates you and is only hanging out with you out of some kind of obligation.
Oh so I DO have social anxiety...been wondering all this time...

But in all seriousness, the people I know who have like REAL social anxiety, don't want to hang out with their friends and people they trust when they're feeling that way. They don't think you hate them or anything, they just can't deal with being social right then.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:I feel even more awkward because [Randall Munroe is] fucking Randall Munroe!
That's called masturbation and I would feel awkward too.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

AdmiralGreene

Postby AdmiralGreene » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

Schema wrote:
Noah1989 wrote:To solve this problem, I developed HuSIBL, the Human Social Interaction Behavior Layer model. It is designed to determine appropriate behavior for any given social context and provide ways of establishing higher social contexts such as friendships and relationships from existing ones. It just works fine :)

Download link??

I'd like one as well, please.
I suppose I should state something clever, no?

Dragons!

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

Hypoon wrote:As an alternative to being so self-conscious, one could simply listen to what the person was saying...!

Sometimes I actually forget to do that. Then I quickly try to get back on track in case the other person expects me to have listened and expects a response or something. And most of this strip applies to me anyway. It's a pain in the butt.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:52 pm UTC

Actually, mine is more like an internal panel discussion.

ThirstyMonkey

Postby ThirstyMonkey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:20 pm UTC

Right around when he's thinking "Stop smiling stop smiling" is when I start to think my internal monologue is hilarious and struggle to refrain from bursting out laughing. I rarely have internal monologues when conversing one on one, but occasionally in a group if I don't talk as much in my silence slowly but surely the urge to laugh increases to an eventual breaking point.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:34 pm UTC

He must be an introvert--an extrovert would be talking, or at the very least listening. Only an introvert would be able to carry on an internal monologue with himself while paying just enough attention to the other person to note how they should be responding...
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”