1079: "United Shapes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SerMufasa

Re: 1079: "United Shapes"

Postby SerMufasa » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:08 pm UTC

Here's how to look at it:
Some are in-jokes, some are not. If you don't get it without an explanation, it probably doesn't matter. And if you're curious about an explanation, just hang out here and eventually all will get posted.

Although I am a little embarassed I didn't recognize the flowers in NC as Dogwood. :oops:
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

eyelidlessness

Postby eyelidlessness » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:The recall was in Wisconsin, not Minnesota, unless you're referencing one I'm not familiar with.

This is what I get for posting while tired on a new board! Thanks for the correction.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:21 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
J Thomas wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
J Thomas wrote:it irks me because I can't tell how many of the jokes I'm missing. The eureka vacuum cleaner for CA, sure. The elephant tea party for MA, I guess, it kind of fits backward. I see a few that look obviously clever.

I don't want to spend too much time looking for stuff, and I don't know how many great jokes I missed. Maybe they aren't there. Frustrating.

You are looking for meaning that is not there. Most of the images have no noteworthy connection to the states they are aligned with. The comic doesn't say "visual symbols representative of some aspect of the culture of the 50 states." It simply says these are things Monroe thinks the different states are shaped like.

I get a few jokes. How do I know there aren't others I don't get? I envy you your certainty that there is no meaning intended there, when you don't see meanings.

I don't know what to tell you. You are the one who said you were frustrated by your inability to figure out what some of them mean. I tried to help you by saying there was no meaning. If you think there is some link* between the Moai statues and the states of Mississippi and Alabama, or some specific link between clouds and Kentucky that isn't true of any other state, or gnomes and Idaho, I encourage you to keep driving yourself crazy looking for it. I'm pretty confident in my assessment though.

The statues kind of look like great big solemn black people, too. The Gnome mine used to be pretty important in Idaho.

But I'm starting to think you're right. If I don't get the jokes, at least we don't have a lot of people posting explanations of them. So I'm not missing them more than most people. I don't feel so bad missing out on 46 inside jokes between Randall and himself, as I would missing out on inside jokes that 80% of XKCD readers got.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:
Mikeski wrote:Well, my walls are rectangular. If his walls are cubical, he's apparently living in four-dimensional space.

Unless you're living in a college dorm or Japan, walls do have thickness. Conceivably a wall could be built as a cubical, however, that seems like a waste of space.

In the case of hanging something on a wall, it's the surface that matters. This comment reminds me of a college professor who would tell us, before every test, that we were allowed to bring one page of notes, and we could write on all six sides of the paper.

Only on XKCD can someone use a gramatically ambigious statement about the walls of his work cubicle and get people to discuss physics.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:42 am UTC

Twin Easter Island heads FTW
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:08 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:
Mikeski wrote:Well, my walls are rectangular. If his walls are cubical, he's apparently living in four-dimensional space.

Unless you're living in a college dorm or Japan, walls do have thickness. Conceivably a wall could be built as a cubical, however, that seems like a waste of space.

In the case of hanging something on a wall, it's the surface that matters. This comment reminds me of a college professor who would tell us, before every test, that we were allowed to bring one page of notes, and we could write on all six sides of the paper.

Only on XKCD can someone use a gramatically ambigious statement about the walls of his work cubicle and get people to discuss physics.

Could be worse, I've seen discussions on Spacebattles that involved calculating how much energy hitting something with Scrooge McDuck's vault at .9 c would involve which then got sidetracked into a discussion about how to best estimate the mass of the vault since it was stated to hold "3 cubic acres", which implies that it is 6 dimensional, we couldn't find a satisfactory answer about whether or not gravity bleeds through the higher dimensions and what effect that would have on the relativistic mass in regular ole' 3+1 spacetime.
mu

Samuron

Postby Samuron » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:21 pm UTC

I'm guessing that the Alaska bear is probably a reference to "HAARP shooting at UFO" conspiracy theories.

The Texas one is a reminded me of this:
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/puppies-theyre-pretty-much-retarded.jpg

hifi

Postby hifi » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:49 pm UTC

I think it's sad that I first thought the Easter Island heads were from The Division Bell cover.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:05 am UTC

hifi wrote:I think it's sad that I first thought the Easter Island heads were from The Division Bell cover.

I think it makes you awesome.
mu

WhiteDragon

Postby WhiteDragon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

relyk wrote:New York - Sectional view of a mechanical contraption I cannot identify (engine, pump?)

it's a transmission

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”