1061: "EST"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fire Brns

Re: 1061: "EST"

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:
cream wobbly wrote:
Mercurywoodrose wrote:funny how we have a 7 day week, in honor of the bible

The 7 day week predates the bible and the material that was cribbed from by quite a chunk.

Incidentally the chinese calender has 7 days, the last of which translates quite literally to Sunday.

It's Interesting that (according to Google Translate) Chinese has "Sun-day" but the other days are just numbered 星期一 ("weekday 1") to 星期六 ("weekday 6").
In Japanese all seven days have names like "sun-weekday": specifically (for Mon-Sun) moon(月) fire(火) water(水) wood/tree(木) metal/gold (金) earth (土) sun(日).
Those characters also correspond to the astronomical objects: Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Sun; this is more or less the same mapping as in the Romance languages (lundi, mardi, mercredi...). Presumably this mapping was adopted from Europe at some time.
Saturday and Sunday presumably changed to "sabbath" and "Lord's day" in Latin round about the time of Emperor Constantine.

Question: did Chinese previously use the Sun+Moon+five "elements" names, but later drop them in favour of numbers except for Sunday? Was this a Communist-era "simplification"?

I've only just realised that in Japanese, 土星, which ought to mean "Planet Earth" actually means "Saturn". I predict that this will cause serious sat-nav screw-ups in the future.

Excelent point on the Chinese, I speak a bit of it so it skips my mind to point out the (self) obvious. 周 is an acceptable alternative to 星期. I'm not sure on your question of the elemental days and I will not rest untill I find an answer. Further anecdote both Chinese and Japanese months are ordered by counting month 1, month 2, month 3, ect...

EDIT: That was quick, this link appears to indicate the japanese week was based off of Chinese planet names and that my previous word suggestion came from Japan: http://www.cjvlang.com/Dow/dowchin.html
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

NotSoHeavyD3

Postby NotSoHeavyD3 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:42 am UTC

Here's a question about this comic. (Sorry if it already got brought up, I'm kind of late in this thread.) How did he get 1444 for minutes in a day? I mean a solar day is 24 hrs(1440 minutes) and a sidereal day is 1436 minutes.(23hrs 56 minutes.)

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:40 pm UTC

billyswong wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:Incidentally the chinese calender has 7 days, the last of which translates quite literally to Sunday.

It's Interesting that (according to Google Translate) Chinese has "Sun-day" but the other days are just numbered 星期一 ("weekday 1") to 星期六 ("weekday 6").
In Japanese all seven days have names like "sun-weekday": specifically (for Mon-Sun) moon(月) fire(火) water(水) wood/tree(木) metal/gold (金) earth (土) sun(日).
Those characters also correspond to the astronomical objects: Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Sun; this is more or less the same mapping as in the Romance languages (lundi, mardi, mercredi...). Presumably this mapping was adopted from Europe at some time.
Saturday and Sunday presumably changed to "sabbath" and "Lord's day" in Latin round about the time of Emperor Constantine.

Question: did Chinese previously use the Sun+Moon+five "elements" names, but later drop them in favour of numbers except for Sunday? Was this a Communist-era "simplification"?

I've only just realised that in Japanese, 土星, which ought to mean "Planet Earth" actually means "Saturn". I predict that this will cause serious sat-nav screw-ups in the future.

"土" is not exactly the same as "earth" in English. In everyday use (in Hong Kong), 土 means soil and does not represent the ground so much. The planet Earth is called 地球, the "ball of ground", or Geo-Globe.

I don't know anything about that, but it would be neat if the phrase could translate colloquially as "big ball of mud".
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

tWoolie

Postby tWoolie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:14 am UTC

Has anyone made a python library for this yet?

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:09 pm UTC

tWoolie wrote:Has anyone made a python library for this yet?

Not sure. But, by Rule 34, we can be certain that someone has done something else already.

N031

Postby N031 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:47 pm UTC

Ok people this was going to happen eventually

Here is the web implementation of the Earth Standard Time, Im still working on the python library, I don't promise any date soon, enjoy

http://n031.site90.net/xkcdclock.php

lujlp

Postby lujlp » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

I cant believe everyone missed the obvious. Narnia time does not need to be synced at Aslan destroyed sometime durring the early fifties

N031

Postby N031 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 am UTC

I think I might be the only one still interested on this, but anyway I find it worthy.

I made a converter tool from GMT to EST, please take a look at

http://n031.site90.net/converter.php

And leave a comment of you wish, thanks

pernishus

Postby pernishus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:51 pm UTC

N031 - I salute your programming efforts. I just don't understand why you initialized when you did - it seems like your starting EST value is 307 hours behind what the time would be using Jan 1st 1970 0:00 as time 0. Also, your converter tool seems to give the same EST value for the normal times 1970 March 8th 2:28AM and 1970 March 8th 3:28AM, which puts you 308 hours behind Randall's proposal.

On a side note, it appears possible that if you use Jan 1st 1970 as time 0, then Jan 1st 2015 0:00 is the same in both systems.

EDIT: Now I see that you are using Jan 1 1970 of the Julian calendar. I still don't get why the normal times 1970 March 8th 2:28AM and 1970 March 8th 3:28AM have the same EST converted value.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”