1048: "Emotion"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby The Great Hippo » Wed May 02, 2012 8:18 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Look Hippo, I don't pass judgment on your sex life and I'll thank you not to do the same.
"If furiously masturbating while watching a man shitting on another man while he's bound and gagged is wrong, then I don't want to be right!"

User avatar
Karilyn
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby Karilyn » Wed May 02, 2012 8:50 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Look Hippo, I don't pass judgment on your sex life and I'll thank you not to do the same.
"If furiously masturbating while watching a man shitting on another man while he's bound and gagged is wrong, then I don't want to be right!"

Amen!
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby addams » Thu May 03, 2012 8:50 am UTC

Did the tsunami of yellow, turn to piss?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^
Posts: 1190
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby J Thomas » Thu May 03, 2012 12:31 pm UTC

addams wrote:Did the tsunami of yellow, turn to piss?


Was there a time it wasn't?
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

Nergye
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:27 am UTC

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby Nergye » Thu May 03, 2012 12:42 pm UTC

See? Who says we can't have an intelligent conversation without SirMustapha?

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby Роберт » Thu May 03, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Nergye wrote:See? Who says we can't have an intelligent conversation without SirMustapha?

Win!
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
The Moomin
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:59 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby The Moomin » Thu May 03, 2012 4:46 pm UTC

So all that setting someone as "foe" does is block their posts from your view?

I'm kind of disappointed by this.

I'm not entirely sure what, but I expected a whole host of shenanigans to ensue from declaring a foe.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby bmonk » Thu May 03, 2012 8:18 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:So all that setting someone as "foe" does is block their posts from your view?

I'm kind of disappointed by this.

I'm not entirely sure what, but I expected a whole host of shenanigans to ensue from declaring a foe.

Maybe after someone is a foe for a set period of time, the management arrange for a duel at dawn?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby Роберт » Thu May 03, 2012 9:53 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
The Moomin wrote:So all that setting someone as "foe" does is block their posts from your view?

I'm kind of disappointed by this.

I'm not entirely sure what, but I expected a whole host of shenanigans to ensue from declaring a foe.

Maybe after someone is a foe for a set period of time, the management arrange for a duel at dawn?

For that to happen, you have to convince them to foe you back.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
The Moomin
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:59 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby The Moomin » Fri May 04, 2012 8:18 am UTC

Роберт wrote:
bmonk wrote:
The Moomin wrote:So all that setting someone as "foe" does is block their posts from your view?

I'm kind of disappointed by this.

I'm not entirely sure what, but I expected a whole host of shenanigans to ensue from declaring a foe.

Maybe after someone is a foe for a set period of time, the management arrange for a duel at dawn?

For that to happen, you have to convince them to foe you back.


Maybe if there was an automatic mail to the preson declared foe stating the enmity that now exists between the two of you and that there text is such a blight on humanity considerable effort has gone to shield your eyes from such poppycock.

Then their computer should give them an electric shock in lieu of slapping them round the face with a glove.

If they don't declare foe back then, nothing can entice them.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby Роберт » Fri May 04, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:
Роберт wrote:
bmonk wrote:
The Moomin wrote:So all that setting someone as "foe" does is block their posts from your view?

I'm kind of disappointed by this.

I'm not entirely sure what, but I expected a whole host of shenanigans to ensue from declaring a foe.

Maybe after someone is a foe for a set period of time, the management arrange for a duel at dawn?

For that to happen, you have to convince them to foe you back.


Maybe if there was an automatic mail to the preson declared foe stating the enmity that now exists between the two of you and that there text is such a blight on humanity considerable effort has gone to shield your eyes from such poppycock.

Then their computer should give them an electric shock in lieu of slapping them round the face with a glove.

If they don't declare foe back then, nothing can entice them.

Except for the electric shock bit, you could always manually send a PM.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Adavistic Puma
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:47 am UTC

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby Adavistic Puma » Fri May 04, 2012 10:36 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:
Belial wrote:Let's take a moment to discuss how drastically mis-calibrated your sense of what's "serious" is.


No, let's not. You carry on using your god powers to deliver poetic justice to the people you don't like


As you wish.



Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

scarletmanuka
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:29 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: 1048: "Emotion"

Postby scarletmanuka » Tue May 08, 2012 3:53 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
I'm pretty sure that "YMMV" is a TV Tropes invention.
[citation needed]
Yeah, it comes from the EPA estimated mileage for vehicles (and subsequent reporting requirements for manufacturers) - which, if I recall correctly, began in the late 70s or early 80s.
That's definitely where the phrase came from, but I think Mustapha is only contending that its use as an initialism was coined by tvtropes.

Not only as an initialism, but as an unnecessary, dumb replacement for something as simple and obvious as "that's subjective"; which is basically Rule Nº 1 of TV Tropes: NEVER use simple terms for simple concepts. And I definitely never saw that term being used before TV Tropes became this big phenomenon, not even in places such as Godawful Fanfiction, where that kind of terminology tends to catch like chewed bubblegum.

Not that it matters now... but "YMMV" was definitely current on Usenet in the '90s.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acunning40 and 102 guests