0996: Making Things Difficult

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BunsenH

Re: 0996: Making Things Difficult

Postby BunsenH » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

Add a sound device to the USB port. So the nipple can go 'spung'.

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

I'm not sure which is more bizarre - the Mardi Gras custom (which apparently is quite a recent innovation) or this paper discussing it.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

xmrsmoothx

Postby xmrsmoothx » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

This is my favorite comic in a while. It's so lighthearted.
I LOVE having a signature. It makes my post that much bigger.

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:30 pm UTC

NotAllThere wrote:I'm not sure which is more bizarre - the Mardi Gras custom (which apparently is quite a recent innovation) or this paper discussing it.

LOL - a paper on "how I spent my spring break". I'm sure things have only gotten better since 1991 (the party) and 1996 (the publication).
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Tobu

Postby Tobu » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

NotAllThere wrote:I'm not sure which is more bizarre - the Mardi Gras custom (which apparently is quite a recent innovation) or this paper discussing it.

Here is a scan of this paper, which seems like a good read: Ritual disrobement at Mardi Gras: ceremonial exchange and moral order (pm me if the link dies).

RyanfaeScotland

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:00 pm UTC

RULES FOR POSTING A NEW COMIC'S THREAD

VI.Provide some commentary below. This is a discussion after all... No point in just posting what's on the front page of xkcd.com and providing nothing else of value.

Am I really the only one who gets annoyed by this rule not being followed? The user who posted it hasn't even posted in the topic again let alone adding something to the first post other than which is already on the front page. I'd use the 'report to moderator' button but I don't want to be that guy.

lly

Postby lly » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Thought #1: Great, time to read into the personal, intimate details of the life of someone I don't know. Thanks for the "context", Randall! Does your wife earn a necklace every time you expose her life like that?
Thought #2: What, stick figures wear clothes now? So they were all naked the whole time?
Thought #3, after reading the alt-text: WHAT THE FUCK.

Really, in my mind it wouldn't have been a bad comic if he had just left off the alt-text. I mean, seriously now >_<

Maria_M

Postby Maria_M » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

About 2 and a half-3 years ago I had non-cancer related breast reconstruction. and while I didn't insist that the doctor give me beads, I DID go to New Orleans and flash my new Twins for beads. I've written extensively (and graphically -including photos- so this is NSFW) about what I went through emotionally and physically. If you are interested in finding out all the things that can go wrong with a boob job,please visit http://boobcast.com

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

I'm not a femme-bot! I had cancer!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

Azkyroth wrote:Rectangular nipple? Not sure I approve. O.o

Would a USB B connector be less distressing?

ashley

Postby ashley » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

My 12 month old is constantly putting the end of USB cables in his mouth, so this would be perfect!

MCab

Postby MCab » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:23 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:
tuxedobob wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:
joee wrote:Is that just a plastic bead necklace?

Mardi Gras beads, yes.

So a few minutes after I read this, I decided that the joke is that women get felt up at Mardi Gras? Is that the joke, or am I missing something else?

Girls (and women I suppose) flashing tits to "earn" their beads is a Mardi Gras tradition in America.

As far as I know, only in the New Orleans part of America. Otherwise, I've been missing out on a lot of boob-seeing.

Unless your taste isn't that particular, I assure you that you aren't missing out on much. Picture a graph, X axis labeled "attractiveness" and the Y axis labeled "willingness to show breast" and you'll have a double-black diamond slope.

And the same graph after alcohol intoxication? Mebbe single black diamond, but no less.

Now, if you're willing to put up with that for the occasional outlier, good luck on your safari.

bigjeff5

Postby bigjeff5 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:33 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:
tuxedobob wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

Mardi Gras beads, yes.

So a few minutes after I read this, I decided that the joke is that women get felt up at Mardi Gras? Is that the joke, or am I missing something else?

Girls (and women I suppose) flashing tits to "earn" their beads is a Mardi Gras tradition in America.

As far as I know, only in the New Orleans part of America. Otherwise, I've been missing out on a lot of boob-seeing.

You've been missing out, I'm thinking.

It's certainly not everywhere, but many bars in Alaska like to do mardi-gras parties every year. Basically just the beads and flashing, and the heavy, heavy drinking of course. The rest of the celebration takes way too much effort and tends to require a much more deeply rooted tradition than we have here (i.e. none). Besides, it distracts from the flashing. ;)

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:38 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Thought #1: Great, time to read into the personal, intimate details of the life of someone I don't know. Thanks for the "context", Randall! Does your wife earn a necklace every time you expose her life like that?
Thought #2: What, stick figures wear clothes now? So they were all naked the whole time?
Thought #3, after reading the alt-text: WHAT THE FUCK.
Hey, shut the fuck up.

No, I don't care about the comic. You and your pretentiousness make me sick. Go fuck yourself, please.

EDIT: I apologize. I haven't had the best of days today. I do not like SirMustapha's attitude or posts, but I don't think this warrants an inflammatory, off-topic post like this one.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Browncoat

Postby Browncoat » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:17 am UTC

First I'd like to say that I'm amazed that I got the login name... Sweet!

Now, re: the comic... My mother-in-law is a BC survivor and when she was going thru the post-masectomy chemo/radiation treatment, I tried to talk her into finding a nice tattoo shop and have them draw a Harley-Davidson emblem (or maybe a Van Halen symbol) on the back of her head for church... I told her I'd buy the Sharpies and pay for it but she wouldn't bite. And I still have 933-'Tattoo' on my FB page. That is a wicked one!!!

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:35 am UTC

USB host or USB device? In theory, pictbridge avoids that problem, but almost nothing supports it in an interesting way.

Gigabit ethernet is more symmetric. The interfaces autosense pair polarity, so you don't worry about crossover cables, like with 10Base-T.

If I get a surgically implanted interface, I want to be able to connect up with anyone.

The_Evil_Within

Postby The_Evil_Within » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:35 am UTC

I dunno. I think it'd be cooler and more practical to make the nipple an LED flashlight. Trouble unlocking the front door? Pull down that bra cup!

Hell, if it's the left breast, put a red LED deep inside it and have it pulse in time with your pulse... very cool for sex in the dark.

brimed03

Postby brimed03 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:21 am UTC

Conversely, then: the worst prosthesis idea: areola red ring of death?

From one fighter to another, keep strong Randall's wife.

Brian

babble

Postby babble » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:06 am UTC

Seriously? A comic that both infantilises his wife ('nuh-uh') and sexualises her cancer treatment? That's awful. Some people find it hard to cope with the embarrassment of having to undress for the doctor; the idea of linking medical examination with flashing your tits so a man will give you a present if he likes them enough is kind of grotesque. It doesn't make the tiniest bit of difference that the doctor is drawn as female and exasperated by this. It makes it worse, actually; it presents the patient, even now, as incapable of seeing her own body except in terms of how it appeals sexually. It's pretty insulting.

I'm sure the responses of 'wonderful' and 'brilliant' are based on a perceived lightheartedness and 'isn't it nice that even when you're being treated for cancer you can keep a sense of humour' and I'm sure there's a place for a comic about coping mechanisms; something about how cancer patients can develop very darkly humorous ways of coping with their situation and referring to their own bodies. I mean you see it all the time - jokes about baldness and wigs, for example. BUT the doctor's reluctance to play along completely negates that interpretation. There's no hint here that the patient is doing this, even if that was the idea behind the comic. If it was, it's really poorly executed.

and the alt text is just nasty. again, if there's meant to be an idea about a coping mechanism in jokes about becoming a cyborg in there, the creepiness drowns it. there's about ten thousand ideas that would be 'cooler' than 'it's a battery'. and 'spare' battery? what? spare how?

This comic desperately needs editorial input.

Browncoat

Postby Browncoat » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:33 am UTC

bigjeff5 wrote:
sje46 wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:
tuxedobob wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

Mardi Gras beads, yes.

You've been missing out, I'm thinking.

It's certainly not everywhere, but many bars in Alaska like to do mardi-gras parties every year. Basically just the beads and flashing, and the heavy, heavy drinking of course. The rest of the celebration takes way too much effort and tends to require a much more deeply rooted tradition than we have here (i.e. none). Besides, it distracts from the flashing. ;)

You can also get 'it' at the Peanut Farm when there's an LSU or Saints game on... and they're winning. Fortunately, it's been a good season for both teams.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:46 am UTC

ashley wrote:My 12 month old is constantly putting the end of USB cables in his mouth, so this would be perfect!

at what point does one stop aging a baby by months? could you have not said "my one year old"? is is that not specific enough as that essentially means anything from 12m to 23m? :? :?:

Aiea

Postby Aiea » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:47 pm UTC

ashley wrote:My 12 month old is constantly putting the end of USB cables in his mouth, so this would be perfect!

at what point does one stop aging a baby by months? could you have not said "my one year old"? is is that not specific enough as that essentially means anything from 12m to 23m? :? :?:

I think some people don't stop until 36 months. Personally I just used qualifiers, for example, my just one year old, my almost year and a half old, my almost two year old. Just because there is a very signifigant developmental changes from month to month during the first 3 years of life. Currently I've been saying my two and a half year old for the past month or so even though he isn't two and a half until next month, but it's closer than saying two year old and at the same time a bit more specific since two year old could be 24-35 months, whereas two and a half says somewhere near 30 months.

jgh

Postby jgh » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

I'd expect to have to at least buy somebody dinner before I get to see their boobs ;)

(All the best to Randal's missis)

BunsenH

Postby BunsenH » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

You folks who are doing the "how dare you?!" at Randall... why are you assuming that he hasn't discussed the comics with his fiancée before posting them?

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

babble wrote:it presents the patient, even now, as incapable of seeing her own body except in terms of how it appeals sexually.

Or as having a sense of humor, something you clearly lack. What exactly is your problem with sex, anyway?

I'm sure the responses of 'wonderful' and 'brilliant' are based on a perceived lightheartedness and 'isn't it nice that even when you're being treated for cancer you can keep a sense of humour' and I'm sure there's a place for a comic about coping mechanisms; something about how cancer patients can develop very darkly humorous ways of coping with their situation and referring to their own bodies. I mean you see it all the time - jokes about baldness and wigs, for example. BUT the doctor's reluctance to play along completely negates that interpretation. There's no hint here that the patient is doing this, even if that was the idea behind the comic. If it was, it's really poorly executed.

You are clearly reading WAY too much into this. It's a joke about an absurd behavior before a breast exam, not a thesis on maladaptive coping. Do you also go on tirades about how political jokes trivialize the extreme danger posed by the inadequacy of government, or the hierarchy imposed by the sovereign?

and the alt text is just nasty. again, if there's meant to be an idea about a coping mechanism in jokes about becoming a cyborg in there, the creepiness drowns it. there's about ten thousand ideas that would be 'cooler' than 'it's a battery'. and 'spare' battery? what? spare how?

Are you suggesting it makes more sense to use the prosthesis as a primary battery for something? And just because you found the alt text creepy doesn't mean everybody did.

It certainly doesn't need yours.

cphite

Postby cphite » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

babble wrote:Seriously? A comic that both infantilises his wife ('nuh-uh') and sexualises her cancer treatment? That's awful. Some people find it hard to cope with the embarrassment of having to undress for the doctor; the idea of linking medical examination with flashing your tits so a man will give you a present if he likes them enough is kind of grotesque. It doesn't make the tiniest bit of difference that the doctor is drawn as female and exasperated by this. It makes it worse, actually; it presents the patient, even now, as incapable of seeing her own body except in terms of how it appeals sexually. It's pretty insulting.

To me, it presents the patient as someone with a goofy sense of humor, using it to lighten the mood in a tense situation.

Or perhaps the banter is part of playing along? Haven't you ever done anything for a friend that you find completely ridiculous or silly but you do it anyway? I guess it's all up to interpretation, but that's the nature of art. I found this comic funny because a very close friend of mine is a survivor and I can totally see her having that conversation with her doctor.

I think he means it'd be used to recharge other devices via a USB connection. I didn't find it all that amusing, actually - not because of it being offensive or anything, just not very funny.

This comic is a medium for the artist to express himself. Sometimes you'll like what he has to say; sometimes you won't. The last thing it needs is someone else twerking it to meet some arbitrary standard.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:03 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
tuxedobob wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

Mardi Gras beads, yes.

Men, Too! Men, Too!
A girl only needs so many Mardi Gras beads.
Then, it is time to give back.
Some of the weird bellies that I have seen.

Men will show their bellies, readily.
The men were worse about showing their tits than the woman were.

Or; Men are better negotiators. They wanted beads to show their bellies. They wanted beads for the right tit. They wanted beads for the left tit.

For both tits, the men expected a round of applause AND a string of beads or two.

Mardi Gras! What fun! Who knows? I think that people, just, make up rules; Then, bend them.

I will readily take some pre-existing rules and bend them. Forty days after lent and all on the same day! Whew Hew!

Have you ever seen what the local men wear?

http://www.google.com/search?q=creole+i ... 31&bih=339

Page 14. The guy in yellow. That was an amazing outfit. I saw him move. It was Great!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardi_Gras_Indians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Magnolias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_T ... 28album%29

Humans can be such fun in our exuberance.
It takes careful planing to make a thing like that.

Some of those outfits have teams that wear them.
Some of these outfits have project managers.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

AutoHawk

Postby AutoHawk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Although there is some criticism about the breast cancer patient perceiving herself as a sexual object or adhering to objectifying norms, I imagine that an actual woman (or man) who has undergone enough medical checkups to be familiar with the doctors ("Do we have to do this every time?") would feel somewhat alienated from this body that is betraying her through cancer. She does not meet the cultural standards of beauty any more, being culturally defined as a sick body. Doctors ask to view the cancer patient's body again and again, and we fully expect them to, to fulfil their duties as a good patient, or a sick person trying to get healthy. Although just a humourous thought (or possibly a real in joke between doctor and patient) this joke would at least give the patient some sense of control over when and how others are allowed to view their body, even if they are just kidding.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:

It certainly doesn't need yours.

Indeed! What Randall truly needs is another smug asshole to convince him that even his shit smells like roses.

cphite wrote:This comic is a medium for the artist to express himself. Sometimes you'll like what he has to say; sometimes you won't. The last thing it needs is someone else twerking it to meet some arbitrary standard.

Actually when an artist has such a large fanbase, it's pretty naïve to talk about "arbitrary" standards. Besides, surely xkcd is not merely a channel of "expression" for Randall, otherwise he wouldn't be shouting "PLEASE VISIT MY STORE AND BUY MY CRAP!" on the front page. Finally, nobody said that art suffers when people work together. Two heads often think better than one, and personally, I am one who thinks xkcd would become a lot better if Randall had an editor -- and by "editor" I mean someone who looks at his work without the intention of licking his boots at the first opportunity.

nysalor

Postby nysalor » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

BunsenH wrote:Add a sound device to the USB port. So the nipple can go 'spung'.

Robert Heinlein would approve of this message.

Atsukoarai

Postby Atsukoarai » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this isn't funny, and that cancer of any variety is not something to be made light of, but I'm a little bit alarmed at how many people actually find this funny... especially such a sensitive topic. I half expected this thread to be rife with incensed people who've survived or lost people to cancer. My father nearly died of cancer when I was young, and people in school actually made jokes about the situation. That, also, was not even in the remotest way funny to me.

I've always found most of Randall Munroe's work pretty hilarious, but I have never liked it when he does strips like this. The internet seems to be ushering along the rapid farewell to any sense of propriety or modesty left in the world. Nothing is private, nothing is sacred. No topic is too serious to be held above inane, crude humor. Making jokes about a woman's post-operative exam, about prosthetic breast replacements for survivors, whose lives have probably already been quite nearly devastated...Relating it to women exposing themselves in a drunken throng just for a strand of beads. For shame.

While he's at it, why not come up with some witty, clever holocaust jokes? We Jews are still pretty sensitive about that one; maybe we just need to laugh it up and put a light edge on it. That ought to take that sting right off. I wonder what modern day depravity Munroe would relate that tragedy to.

All I can say is, to each his own, I guess. I hope his wife thinks this is as hilarious as the rest of you do. Bunch of warped people, if you ask me.

Turiya

Postby Turiya » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:16 pm UTC

My brain RickRolled me in the second panel...that is all.
"Beyond the senses, beyond the understanding, beyond all expression, is The Fourth." --Mandukya Upanishad

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote: Two heads often think better than one....

oh SirMustupha, Randall has two heads and whenever he uses both you seem to get upset.

babble wrote:Seriously? A comic that both infantilises his wife ('nuh-uh') and sexualises her cancer treatment? That's awful.

yes, awful. sometimes life is awful, sometimes it is completely awful, so completely awful that we need make light of it just so the dark is not so dark. (and darker still, if it were not for the glowing nipples)

Oh and Babble meet SirMustupha, SirMustupha, this is Babble, you seem to have a lot in common, and with that big chunk of space left vacant where the humour ususally goes, you guys should have plenty of space to develop a friendship.

As far as the comic went, I did not get it, whilst I am aware of the new orleans thing, it is way too far out of the scope of Australian culture, normally we have to use footy players to get the 'ladies'to expose their breasts, (plastic beads seem much more economical, and smarter)

*edit*
Spoiler:
i did reply after the bunnies last rant, but really, i thought better of it, and i feel better about myself now for deleting it.
Last edited by whateveries on Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
it's fine.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:40 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I am one who thinks xkcd would become a lot better if Randall had an editor -- and by "editor" I mean someone who looks at his work without the intention of licking his boots at the first opportunity.

What you want is somebody who agrees with all of your opinions to change xkcd from a comic you don't like into one you do.

I have a better idea: find a different comic. I don't spend all day posting online how shitty Marmaduke is. Lots of people here clearly like the comic and you clearly do not, so just fucking live with it and stop hating on everybody.

E: Also, you are clearly a troll when you go to the official xkcd forum, go into a thread about a specific xkcd comic, and then say "LOOK HOW MANY XKCD FANS THERE ARE HERE."
Last edited by Eebster the Great on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:43 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:40 am UTC

Do I smell butthurt in the above post, is that what I smell? Oh, yes indeed! It's the unmistakable smell of butthurt, peppered with that delightful smell of false humour. Dude, if you get that upset when people voice negative opinions on your personal opinions, just vent it out! Do like Eebster and let your bitterness pour out of your fingertips without fear of being condemned. Remember: as long as you're licking the shit off Randall's boots, your attitude doesn't matter. You can act like a complete jerk towards even the most polite and reasonable critics, and nobody will mind. Except me, of course.

whateveries wrote:Oh and Babble meet SirMustupha, SirMustupha, this is Babble, you seem to have a lot in common, and with that big chunk of space left vacant where the humour ususally goes, you guys should have plenty of space to develop a friendship.

Wait, that is where you keep your sense of humour?... eww, that explains it all!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:49 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:What you want is somebody who agrees with all of your opinions to change xkcd from a comic you don't like into one you do.

Don't project your own flaws on me, man.

Eebster the Great wrote:I have a better idea: find a different comic. I don't spend all day posting online how shitty Marmaduke is.

Why should I care about what you do with your time? That's a bit egotistical of you.

Eebster the Great wrote:Lots of people here clearly like the comic and you clearly do not, so just fucking live with it and stop hating on everybody.

I'm not "hating" on anybody. Gee, calm down, there's no point in going "NERDRAGE!" around here.

HoopyFreud

Postby HoopyFreud » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:40 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:What you want is somebody who agrees with all of your opinions to change xkcd from a comic you don't like into one you do.

Don't project your own flaws on me, man.

I don't even... how does it make sense?

SirMustapha wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:I have a better idea: find a different comic. I don't spend all day posting online how shitty Marmaduke is.

Why should I care about what you do with your time? That's a bit egotistical of you.

He was providing an example of behavior that he exhibits so that you might better understand his suggestion that you not post about how shitty xkcd is, and possibly justifying his suggestion by demonstrating the fact that he follows his own advice.

However, I welcome reasonable discussion about the strip. On that topic, I would also like to ridicule your suggestion that the comic trivializes the struggles that Randall's fiancee is undergoing. Since she is his fiancee, I can't imagine that she does not approve every comic that involves her, either by implication or by name. In addition, Randall's sense of humor appeals to enough people to make it a significant source of income for him. You may not find it amusing, in which case, out of curiosity, I ask "why are you spending your time on here?" It's ok to not like things, but don't be a dick about the things you don't like. Saying that I lick the shit off of Randall's boots seems like a pretty dick thing to say to me.

On the topic of this thread, I found the comic funny once it was explained to me (upstate New York is not big on Mardi Gras), but the alt text fell flat. The logistical problems involved in such a setup would far outweigh any possible advantages that it might provide. It would be a far better joke to make about, say, an artificial leg which is charged by the kinetic energy produced when it hits the ground, as it would be much nore easy to plug things into it, though that would obviously not have fit with the strip.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:57 am UTC

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH FUCKETY FUCK BLAH
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Caffè_Macchiavelli

Postby Caffè_Macchiavelli » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:30 am UTC

Atsukoarai wrote: No topic is too serious to be held above inane, crude humor.

Right, it's not and it shouldn't. Even if you don't happen to share this type of humor, it's one way of dealing with the harshness of life and I'm a bit confused by the abundance of people claiming to know that it's the wrong way, as if the world needed more seriousness.

While he's at it, why not come up with some witty, clever holocaust jokes?

If the holocaust is off limit, how about we stop mentioning it every fucking time some joke or comment seems offensive?

imshadow22

Postby imshadow22 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:42 am UTC

Atsukoarai wrote:I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this isn't funny, and that cancer of any variety is not something to be made light of, but I'm a little bit alarmed at how many people actually find this funny... especially such a sensitive topic. I half expected this thread to be rife with incensed people who've survived or lost people to cancer. My father nearly died of cancer when I was young, and people in school actually made jokes about the situation. That, also, was not even in the remotest way funny to me.

I've always found most of Randall Munroe's work pretty hilarious, but I have never liked it when he does strips like this. The internet seems to be ushering along the rapid farewell to any sense of propriety or modesty left in the world. Nothing is private, nothing is sacred. No topic is too serious to be held above inane, crude humor. Making jokes about a woman's post-operative exam, about prosthetic breast replacements for survivors, whose lives have probably already been quite nearly devastated...Relating it to women exposing themselves in a drunken throng just for a strand of beads. For shame.

While he's at it, why not come up with some witty, clever holocaust jokes? We Jews are still pretty sensitive about that one; maybe we just need to laugh it up and put a light edge on it. That ought to take that sting right off. I wonder what modern day depravity Munroe would relate that tragedy to.

All I can say is, to each his own, I guess. I hope his wife thinks this is as hilarious as the rest of you do. Bunch of warped people, if you ask me.

So, you didn't find it funny. That is fine. However, if you have read this thread, there are many people that posted here that do know first hand about living with someone with breast cancer. And you know what? Some of it saw it for the humor that it is. Sometimes humor helps shine light on things that appear hopeless. Humor helps us all remember, in the end, we all are human. (except for you spambots)

What about death? Should we never find humor in death or about death? I mean if cancer is scary, at least there is a chance for recovery from that. If you get dead, there is no coming back.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”