0995: "Coin Star"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sardia

0995: "Coin Star"

Postby sardia » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:08 am UTC

Alt Text: Plus they take like 9%.

I never liked coinstar, I mean they charge you for stuff a bank does for free. Abusing inner city/urban poor people if you ask me.

rhomboidal

Re: 0995: "Coin Star"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:34 am UTC

Coinstar exchanges chocolate coins for Fruit Roll-Ups.

orangustang

Postby orangustang » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:46 am UTC

I've always (well, as long as I can remember) had a sort of zen view of coin rolling. Sure, it takes time, which equals money, which may come out to more than 9% if you really value your time in that way, but it's nice to just be able to focus on a simple task occasionally and give the ol' encephalon a break once in a while. Thus, Coinstar is unnecessary and evil, and I support the act of dumping chocolate in it.
Last edited by orangustang on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:02 am UTC

That pop makes me question.... what if I put popcorn seeds in it?

bhoot

Postby bhoot » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:11 am UTC

Are these the same chocolate coins that we got from the advent calendar?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:14 am UTC

Wait...so there are machines that, for a certain amount of money put in, give you less money back with no product or service provided other than a different denomination of said money?

And people do this willingly?

astrosteve

Postby astrosteve » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:25 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Wait...so there are machines that, for a certain amount of money put in, give you less money back with no product or service provided other than a different denomination of said money?

Yes. My theory is it's a psychological thing. $40 in bills feels useful. A lot of people wouldn't consider hauling $40 in change to the local store to pay for their groceries, but they'd grab two $20 bills. However, why they'd take it to a Coinstar instead of their bank (where it could be changed for free) is beyond me.

Though, to be fair, the local CoinStar machine in my area has a big "NO FEES" sign on it. I bet there has to be a catch of some kind, though. I should examine the machine more closely the next time I'm there, just for curiosity's sake.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:17 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Wait...so there are machines that, for a certain amount of money put in, give you less money back with no product or service provided other than a different denomination of said money?

It's a machine that counts your change for you and charges a portion of it as a fee (often with exceptions, such as if you donate the money to charity or use it for in-store credit). It's only worth using if you have a large number of mixed dimes, nickels, and pennies that you can't be fucked to count yourself. Not great for quarters.

mric

Postby mric » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:40 am UTC

sardia wrote:I never liked coinstar, I mean they charge you for stuff a bank does for free. Abusing inner city/urban poor people if you ask me.

It's compulsory to use Coinstar, is it?

barasawa

Postby barasawa » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:47 am UTC

I just go to may credit union and use their coin counter for free. It doesn't like chocolate coins either, but at least it doesn't take a percentage.

pbnjstowell

Postby pbnjstowell » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:50 am UTC

If they're those really cheap, waxy chocolate coins, I'll gladly donate them to charity.

Or use them to ruin Coinstar machines.
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:01 am UTC

So it's a lottery with a guaranteed payoff?
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:34 am UTC

In my mind, pennies are literally trash* and nickels are half cash/half garbage and dimes are almost real money, so a device that turns those into something of value is actually pretty useful. The 9% (closer to 10%) is bad, but you can get your money in the form of Amazon credit -which is almost as good as money except that hookers and blackjack dealers don't take little receipt looking thing that says Amazon owes you stuff- and they take no percentage. It's actually a good way for someone without a credit or debit card to get the exact amount of Amazon credit they want instead of having to buy a gift card for some even denomination.

* Just try paying a government fine or ticket using pennies
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:25 am UTC

there are these in supermarkets in the UK, you can either only get ~90% back as cash or get 100% back as supermarket vouchers.

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:42 am UTC

We have these machines here as well, and at one point they were (conditionally) free. However, they are no longer, and instead the cash fee is higher than it was and the alternatives are just less painful options. Also, it's presense at my bank (a bs credit union admittedly) has basically led them to adopt a change policy that basically is that if it doesn't fit in the dish (quite small) we don't deal with it policy.

I'm saving pennies to fill the machine with enough to be a hassle to them afterwards. Anyone know the capacity of these machines?

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:02 am UTC

Eshru wrote:We have these machines here as well, and at one point they were (conditionally) free. However, they are no longer, and instead the cash fee is higher than it was and the alternatives are just less painful options. Also, it's presense at my bank (a bs credit union admittedly) has basically led them to adopt a change policy that basically is that if it doesn't fit in the dish (quite small) we don't deal with it policy.

I'm saving pennies to fill the machine with enough to be a hassle to them afterwards. Anyone know the capacity of these machines?

I've put over £10 worth of 1 and 2ps in before, so probably in the region of 800-1000 coins, I expect they can take a lot more, or else it would tell you.

mric

Postby mric » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:11 am UTC

Eshru wrote:I'm saving pennies to fill the machine with enough to be a hassle to them afterwards. Anyone know the capacity of these machines?

From detailed research (3 minutes on the internet), the holding bin is roughly a 60x60x60cm3 box. a penny is roughly 0.4cm3, but let's call it 0.6cm3 to allow for the fit in the box.

You need around 360,000 pennies. Given that the machines are connected to a central management hub, and will notify when they are full, I think that the Coinstar company would be thrilled to take your $350 and send someone out to empty the machine.

(You can probably assume that the machine is 1/4 full when you start, and that my estimates are out by a factor of two, so it may be as few as 135,000 pennies)

The only 'them' you would be hassling would be other customers.

mric

How do people get all these coins?

Postby mric » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:21 am UTC

The thing that puzzles me is how individuals end up with vast piles of coins. Businesses I understand - but they have cash management services from their banks.

I can imagine an eight-year-old saving pennies, but an adult?

Re: How do people get all these coins?

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:30 am UTC

mric wrote:The thing that puzzles me is how individuals end up with vast piles of coins. Businesses I understand - but they have cash management services from their banks.

all those times you buy things that are x.99, or if you ever really get change, and it's not all "silvers", it really adds up. if i ever go to my wallet, it's feeling a bit heavy, I'll clear out the coppers and other small change into pots, keep the 50ps and £1 coins.
I would put it in the bank, but i never really go to the bank, I'm working nearly all the time it's open, and all the important stuff I need to do with the bank I do online or over the phone.

asmodai

Postby asmodai » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

Of the last six comics, three appear to have been written on a trip to Shaws.

All of the most depressed times in my life are full of Shaws memories. Probably because lack of basic food is the only thing that got me out of the house (even then only late at night {so nothing else was open}), and because the supermarket is a bit depressing anyway-- so it fits the general mood of those times.

.....I hope our author is alright.
Last edited by asmodai on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mric

Postby mric » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:09 pm UTC

mric wrote:The thing that puzzles me is how individuals end up with vast piles of coins. Businesses I understand - but they have cash management services from their banks.

all those times you buy things that are x.99, or if you ever really get change, and it's not all "silvers", it really adds up. if i ever go to my wallet, it's feeling a bit heavy, I'll clear out the coppers and other small change into pots, keep the 50ps and £1 coins.
I would put it in the bank, but i never really go to the bank, I'm working nearly all the time it's open, and all the important stuff I need to do with the bank I do online or over the phone.

I guess I have the same cash spending and the same pockets as many other people. Right now I have 13 coins adding up to £3.17 in my pocket. That seems fairly typical, and indeed it has been researched ("How many coins are you carrying in your pocket?", J.C. Nuño, 2005), which shows a mean number of 14 and a most likely number of 10 coins.

So typical behaviour leads people to have a relatively stable number of coins in their pocket. Provided you can tolerate an average of 10 coins and a maximum of 20, you can probably operate without building up a backlog. Personally, I have never needed to take change to the bank in 35 years of money use. If I get an irritating amount of change in a day, I will put it to one side and use it up over the next few days.

Of course, if you do clear out the small change from your pocket, you have a self-perpetuating system, because you will rarely have the correct change in your pocket, and so you will always be given more small coins in your transactions.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:59 pm UTC

mric wrote:

I guess I have the same cash spending and the same pockets as many other people. Right now I have 13 coins adding up to £3.17 in my pocket. That seems fairly typical, and indeed it has been researched ("How many coins are you carrying in your pocket?", J.C. Nuño, 2005), which shows a mean number of 14 and a most likely number of 10 coins.

So typical behaviour leads people to have a relatively stable number of coins in their pocket. Provided you can tolerate an average of 10 coins and a maximum of 20, you can probably operate without building up a backlog. Personally, I have never needed to take change to the bank in 35 years of money use. If I get an irritating amount of change in a day, I will put it to one side and use it up over the next few days.

Of course, if you do clear out the small change from your pocket, you have a self-perpetuating system, because you will rarely have the correct change in your pocket, and so you will always be given more small coins in your transactions.

honestly, I'm just too lazy to ever give correct change, except when I am forced to (such as vending machines or parking meters), I pay by card whenever possible, and paper, or large coinage when it's not, so the self perpetuating system is laziness, I don't want to stand around in line counting (and knowing me, dropping,) pennies, nor do I want to force a cashier to have to do the same, it's much easier for both of us for me to give £1 and them give me a penny back than it is for me to give them a 50p, 2x 20ps a 10p, a 5p, 2x 2ps and a penny, (which is the least amount of coins of exact change for 99p, god forbid if I had a surplus of any of the smaller coins)

mric

Postby mric » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:honestly, I'm just too lazy to ever give correct change, except when I am forced to (such as vending machines or parking meters), I pay by card whenever possible, and paper, or large coinage when it's not, so the self perpetuating system is laziness, I don't want to stand around in line counting (and knowing me, dropping,) pennies, nor do I want to force a cashier to have to do the same, it's much easier for both of us for me to give £1 and them give me a penny back than it is for me to give them a 50p, 2x 20ps a 10p, a 5p, 2x 2ps and a penny, (which is the least amount of coins of exact change for 99p, god forbid if I had a surplus of any of the smaller coins)

Though the 99p transaction isn't a coin-generating problem - you swap one large £1 coin for a small 1p coin, ending up with less change in your pocket. The coin problem comes from the £3.27 transaction - where you get at least five coins back from a £5 note. In that instance, it is actually much easier for the cashier if you give them, say, £5.27 and get just one coin back, and you get the additional benefit of fewer coins in your pocket.

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:29 pm UTC

I prefer using vending machines rather than Coin Star. They accept small change as well and don't take a fee, besides their profit. I get something of delicious value in return. Of course, if you don't like what vending machines typically have to offer, then this isn't much of an option.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

Mirkwood wrote:I prefer using vending machines rather than Coin Star. They accept small change as well and don't take a fee, besides their profit. I get something of delicious value in return. Of course, if you don't like what vending machines typically have to offer, then this isn't much of an option.

also the fact that stuff in vending machines is normally more than 10% more expensive than from a normal shop
mric wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:honestly, I'm just too lazy to ever give correct change, except when I am forced to (such as vending machines or parking meters), I pay by card whenever possible, and paper, or large coinage when it's not, so the self perpetuating system is laziness, I don't want to stand around in line counting (and knowing me, dropping,) pennies, nor do I want to force a cashier to have to do the same, it's much easier for both of us for me to give £1 and them give me a penny back than it is for me to give them a 50p, 2x 20ps a 10p, a 5p, 2x 2ps and a penny, (which is the least amount of coins of exact change for 99p, god forbid if I had a surplus of any of the smaller coins)

Though the 99p transaction isn't a coin-generating problem - you swap one large £1 coin for a small 1p coin, ending up with less change in your pocket. The coin problem comes from the £3.27 transaction - where you get at least five coins back from a £5 note. In that instance, it is actually much easier for the cashier if you give them, say, £5.27 and get just one coin back, and you get the additional benefit of fewer coins in your pocket.

yeah I see what you are saying. doubt I'll change my coin hoarding ways though.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

Bills get wrinkled up and are physically worthless. I like carrying coins -granted they are almost pure zinc which is still worthless-, I have a drawstring pouch filled with quarters, half dollars, and dollar coins + other accumulated change. The weight is noticable but that isn't an issue. All I have to do is watch out for trained pickpocket monkeys.

Also If you don't like change do this: if so something is $3.21 with tax, pay with 4.01 instead of 4 and you will get a nickel instead of 4 pennies on top of the quarters. I hate that no one knows how to do this.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

vcbnxn

Postby vcbnxn » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

Heh, I went to the States when I was a kid. Thought those machines were fantastic. In fact, wal-mart was just as awesome as Disneyworld.

The machines are pretty scarce in the UK. But I have discovered that the automated checkouts will keep taking money if you keep feeding it to them, then give you back separate change. So buy a 30p pack of gum, put in >£20 in change and you'll get a nice note, plus big coins without the % taken out. People behind you get annoyed though since these mahcines like to take their time to count.

Ctorpy

Postby Ctorpy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

Though, to be fair, the local CoinStar machine in my area has a big "NO FEES" sign on it. I bet there has to be a catch of some kind, though. I should examine the machine more closely the next time I'm there, just for curiosity's sake.

It's probably like the one near my home. The grocery store has one that gives 100% return as long as you put that money on a gift card to that store.

Ronsonic

Postby Ronsonic » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

I am mostly cashless, these days. But in years past I would just take the odd coinage in my pocket at the end of a day and drop it in a jug, can, thingie. It adds up - can easily go $100-300 a year.

As for giving exact or easy change, that's become more difficult these days. Clerks all have these automated registers and they enter the bills as soon as they see them so with a purchase of $5.20, you pull out a ten, then pull a quarter and you get to watch her brain smolder as she tries to figure this out. Hell, pull two dimes and the poor girl's lost.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

bhoot wrote:Are these the same chocolate coins that we got from the advent calendar?

Sure! Because, unless we ate a lot of them--we've got infinite chocolate coins left.
Fire Brns wrote:Also If you don't like change do this: if so something is $3.21 with tax, pay with 4.01 instead of 4 and you will get a nickel instead of 4 pennies on top of the quarters. I hate that no one knows how to do this.

I do, but the problem is often the cashiers, who often don't seem to know how to give change for 4.01, or even (apparently) enter 4.01 into the register so it can give the change.
Last edited by bmonk on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

not the XKCD Rob

Postby not the XKCD Rob » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

0.5 + (2*0.2) + 0.1 + 0.05 + (2*0.02) + 0.01 = 1.1

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Ronsonic wrote:As for giving exact or easy change, that's become more difficult these days. Clerks all have these automated registers and they enter the bills as soon as they see them so with a purchase of $5.20, you pull out a ten, then pull a quarter and you get to watch her brain smolder as she tries to figure this out. Hell, pull two dimes and the poor girl's lost.

Wow, that's so not my experience. I can't even imagine cashiers naive enough to key in money that hasn't been handed to them yet, and the usual routine is verbally validating the amount with something like "Out of twenty?" before going to the register.

I would propose the following global experiment for anyone who is interested. Start off the day with a dozen pennies in your pockets and make every cash transaction with the proper amount of pennies. For instance, if something costs $3.74, give them five dollars and four pennies. In my experience, cashiers manage that just fine, and you can drain your coin jar holistically and without expense.

BillCheatham

Postby BillCheatham » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

A couple of things worth noting about this comic for UK readers:

- Many banks in the UK now offer this service for free. My local Natwest and HSBC have coin counting machines that pay 100% directly into your bank account.

- There are limits to the allowed use of small demonination coins in paying for things. From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender#United_Kingdom):

. Twenty pence pieces and fifty pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 10 pounds; five pence pieces and ten pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 5 pounds; and pennies and two pence coins are legal tender in amounts up to 20 pence.

The surprising one for me is the 20 pence in 2p pieces; this amounts to just 10 coins!

- In spite of this, many places (e.g. pubs) like having change given to them so long as they aren't isn't busy (and the change isn't too small), as it saves them trips to the bank.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

not the XKCD Rob wrote:

0.5 + (2*0.2) + 0.1 + 0.05 + (2*0.02) + 0.01 = 1.1

:oops: I think what happened was I kept changing which coins I was going to say, I guess you don't need the 10p at all.

Randomposter

Postby Randomposter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

I figured out a better way to convert change than Coinstar.

Coinstall charges 7-9%, for a payback of 91-93%.

Casino slot machines advertise payback rates of 97-99%.

So, I propose taking the big jar of change to a casino, dropping it all in the slots, and see if you can't beat Coinstar's rate of return. There's also the added bonus you may come back with more money than you left with. When you're done, take everything to the money cage and get crisp bills in exchange. It's a lot more entertaining than hanging out at the supermarket, and the booze is cheaper.

furyguitar

Postby furyguitar » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

Looks like someone was a high roller at the Dreidel Table. That's a lot of gelt on Gimmel...

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

bhoot wrote:Are these the same chocolate coins that we got from the advent calendar?

That was my first thought.

And don't forget to take the genuine copper pennies out of your change before taking it to a Coinstar. A copper penny would be 1982 and earlier.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

feldgendler

Postby feldgendler » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

In Norway, we don't have the problem that Coinstar is supposed to solve. In a grocery store, you can pour unsorted coins into a special device at the counter while the cashier is busy checking out your purchase. After that, you pay the rest normally, with your card or cash. If you pay cash, the change comes out of the same device, so it doesn't need to be very big to store a lot of coins.

There is no processing fee for using the machine, and it takes no extra time because you're waiting anyway.

Speaking about chocolate coins… I suspect they'd simply fall through the device unharmed, just like foreign coins do, but I'm not going to go check that.

popman

Re: 0995: "Coinstar"

Postby popman » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

could you not just get a 2 litre bottle cut some of the top off and all of the bottom to make a funnel.
then tip the change, through it, into one of those self-checkout machines. it wouldn't take that long, and you don't need to pay commission.
www.crashie8.com

mokin

Postby mokin » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

Now, usually at coinstar you can have the fee waved in exchange for getting your money in the form of gift cards to services they made deals with (for example, iTunes or Amazon) so wouldn't you be able to exchange your chocolate coins for, say, a hershey's gift card?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”