0993: "Brand Awareness"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DaveInsurgent

Re: 0993: "Brand Awareness"

Postby DaveInsurgent » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

Dorp wrote:All this arguing about daily meal prices got me trying to figure out my monthly food expenses... and then I remembered I spend half of each month living at a mining camp, where I not only get free meals, but I get paid to eat two of them (breakfast and lunch I always eat on-site or on the mine shuttle). Therefore, assuming it takes me about an hour to eat each 'paid' meal, and I work a regular 14 day rotation whereupon I go home and spend about $80 on food outside of work, my total monthly food cost is... around -$750. Ha! Beat that, foodie.

Ha! So if I am salaried, does that mean I can infer payment for anything I do? I think I like this. Dude, I got paid $9 yesterday for watching TV. Took a dump: pocketed $1.25.

Edit:

This is a fantastic and optimistic way of thinking about everything I do. Sleeping = $72!
Last edited by DaveInsurgent on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

webgrunt

Postby webgrunt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

DaveInsurgent wrote:
webgrunt wrote:
Now, it must be seasoned properly. Bulk purchases of fragrant oils such as cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil and toasted sesame oil are crucial, as are bulk purchases of decent-quality spices and sauces. Bottom line to what I'm saying is that sub-$1.33 meals that are both nutritious and delicious are absolutely possible.

Sure... I don't think I said that sub-$1.33 meals couldn't be either of those things.

Oops, my bad. I am attempting to multitask at the moment and apparently failing. :-)

ysth

Postby ysth » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

I note that the very few posts describing previous actually occurrences of this are lost in a sea of posts about products that do have a logo or a brand name on the packaging.

In the realm of resealable baggies, the private label ones are much superior, at least here in Seattle.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

CarlosT

Postby CarlosT » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

I remember this exact thing in the 80s, with no brand markings at all. I also remember it dropping out of sight after about a year or so, never to be heard from again.

Brutz

Postby Brutz » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

The Croatian super market chain Konzum uses these plain names except the packaging isn't always white and it has a "K+" symb... Wait a minute. Why is this of all topics drawing so many first time posters?
Anyway, the K+ stuff is cheap while sugar and dangerous chemicals are suspiciously never on the labels so I'm convinced most of it was recalled in China and repackaged here.

webgrunt

Postby webgrunt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

DaveInsurgent wrote:
webgrunt wrote:
I can see it. Now, the kids might complain, but hey, what are you going to do? You can't be spending a ridiculous two bucks or more on a meal, can you? :lol:

Not when you're a foodie, right? You love food, but there's nothing in the world delicious or nutritious above $1.33.

Ok, after re-reading this, I realize I have no idea what you're talking about.

bjn

Postby bjn » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

I lived through aisles of black and white generics. No logos, just the mandated info. And of course since it was the '70s, there wasn't a URL to be seen.

My family was poor, but we were scared to buy this shit. And that was before Chinese melamine. Generic packaging was a notch below MRE packaging for gustatory appeal. The military, at least, has some stock in keeping its soldiers alive. And olive drab is at least a color.

Absotively

Postby Absotively » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

Jopster wrote:Bytheway, I don't know if printing a picture of pasta is that much work, I rather think they bothered to make it transparent in that clever shape ;)

As people have said, package design doesn't add much to the per-item cost, and neither does amount of ink used. But the number of colors of ink needed does have an effect on the cost of printing something. The bag with the clear window only needs three colors: white, black, and red. If it had a full-color picture, it would need white, black, magenta, cyan, yellow, and probably red (to get the brand color exactly right).

Mind you, the savings from this are probably still fairly small.
Last edited by Absotively on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

markop2003

Postby markop2003 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

I think every major supermarket over here in the UK already does this.

DaveInsurgent

Postby DaveInsurgent » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

webgrunt wrote:
DaveInsurgent wrote:
webgrunt wrote:
I can see it. Now, the kids might complain, but hey, what are you going to do? You can't be spending a ridiculous two bucks or more on a meal, can you? :lol:

Not when you're a foodie, right? You love food, but there's nothing in the world delicious or nutritious above $1.33.

Ok, after re-reading this, I realize I have no idea what you're talking about

I was being sarcastic, because someone (not you: I thought we were making similar points) claiming to be a foodie was baffled at how someone could spend more than 1.33 per meal. My point was there are plenty of delicious meals that are also expensive: price isn't a means of exclusion in either way.

pbjones

Postby pbjones » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

Already been said, Australian supermarkets have been doing this for soooo long, they are slipping back into fancy labels to attract customers, now there is 'plain' brand or 'select' branded goods. Nice panel, illustrated the point well.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:31 pm UTC

I also am of an age to remember the generic products of the '70s-'80s: Black type on white with a black bar below the product name.

Some day, if I ever get a cap in a t-shirt store, it will be white with a black line, above which is simply printed,
CAP
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

russkinz

Postby russkinz » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

Bringer wrote:I didn't get the joke at first, then realised that Randall probably hasn't heard of Home Brand here in Australia.

IMHO they sold out when they started putting pictures of their products on their products, also adding 'windows' to packets of lollies? NOT COOL GUYS.

smokeybehr

Postby smokeybehr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

ysth wrote:Not no url, there should be QR codes like this:

http://goo.gl/Gt1hB

Well played, sir. Well played.

tonykilt

Postby tonykilt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
MathUhhhSaurus wrote:but Walmart pretty much already does this with their "Great Value" products:

Great Value's products -- and most other store brands, for that matter -- tend to be *much* more decorated than this, though. Not just black lettering on plain white backgrounds. They typically feature a store logo, a photo or depiction of the product, maybe some color. Heck, even the "No Frills" brand I posted had that pinstripe. A few of the images people have been posting look like this gag, but most are just *simpler* packaging. Not completely plain. There's a difference between "our marketing people are cheap, so turned in a plain design" and "our packages are as plain as humanly possible".

Muffinman42 wrote:I think what most people are missing is that the products which stand out the most and as such have the most brand awareness is the bland white ones. The irony being that for all the pictures and cleaver names, nothing beats black on white contrast and state-the-obvious naming. It would stick in peoples mind and would link all your products in peoples heads, so once they try one out they feel confident trying other products.

Look at the shelf and try to identify what some of the products are. I couldn't get any other than the white ones with names.

I am definitely thinking that only a few of the brands and images listed are plain enough to really look like this comic. Anything with a logo or pinstripe other decorations is starting to diverge into a more standard brand, even if a very plain or simple one. I think this is the key point, and part of why the comic title changed from "Brand Awareness" when it was originally posted to "Brand Identity" now. The way that this maximally plain design links the products together in a more effective way than any other images or colour schemes do without a lot of effort required (beyond carefully kerning your Helvetica for each product name) and has people buying one of your products immediately able to recognize your other products on the shelves, probably from 20 or 30 feet or more away.

Michael.K wrote:
tonykilt wrote:
iwdw wrote:Is this not precisely what No Name is (for the Canadians here)?

jhbadger wrote:... Although it sounds like the Canadian No-Name is pretty close to this today.

The brilliant thing is that Loblaw[s] created two house brands: "No Name" yellow label generic, and premium house-brand "President's Choice" (or "PC"). No Name says, "I'm cheap", and PC says, "Yeah, but not that damn cheap".

Sort of like WalMart and Target.

Indeed that is an important marketing move, just like the debate here about how often there is actually repackaging of the exact same product from the same factory into a higher end and lower end brand box for purely marketing reasons to appeal to different sets of customers and different prices. The history of the brand on Wikipedia described how surprisingly well it did "overnight" and how it evolved over time from actually having no name on the package to having a small "No Name" registered trademark text on it and was eventually neglected when they started focusing on their better selling "President's Choice" more premium store brand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Name_(brand)

puppybeard wrote:There's a "folk theory" if that's a real phrase, about these brands here in Ireland. The "Yellow Pack" brand was huge here, copied from the Canadian model. The branding can stigmatise the buyer, and compel them to spend more rather than shop for bargains.

There is of course a psychological reason for no-frills branding, it makes us believe that every possible saving has been made in the production of a product, to give us the best possible bang for our buck. In practice, a branding agency would have charged their usual fee, and if every single label and package still has to have it's design laid-out and type-set for print. So while there are frequently savings made in such products by making a more basic product, the packaging differs for reasons of marketing, not cost.

A lot of shoppers would happily fill their trolleys with nothing but yellow pack stuff, because the savings were clear and the quality was comparable to the alternative. However, a lot of people, especially mothers, would be mortified if they were seen pushing such a trolley. So there was a sort of balance between saving money and saving face. It's irrational, of course, but that's how it was. It meant supermarkets could appear to be doing people a favour, but really they would manipulate customers into spending as much money as they could to avoid any sense of shame.

I've heard this discussed a lot by my mother and her family, and I've no real evidence to show you. But Ireland was an economically depressed country when this stuff was big, and people had the usual dose of catholic guilt and shame.

I do find that angle interesting, how the iconic and recognizable yellow package branding of cheaper products that is so easy to see from far away could make it hard for someone to disguise their intentions to buy the cheapest thing available and be stigmatized as cheap or poor. I can understand this behaviour and have seen the "bargain product shame" depicted in movies and TV many times over, but I recall my family in Ontario never being ashamed about our cart looking too frugal. Maybe I was too young to notice my parent's subtle reactions but I think in our home practicality won out without much guilt.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

NDS wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:Is the humour in the fact that the comic seems to come from someone who never stepped on a supermarket before?

Holy fudge! I've never stepped on a supermarket before. What does that feel like? The power must be quite a rush.

Didn't they step on a supermarket in Clerks?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

prssn

Postby prssn » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:55 pm UTC

RatTub wrote:Also these :

+1

Netzach

Postby Netzach » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

tenkai wrote:A store in Sweden used to have packaging on their own brand very much like this. Comletely white packaging with a blue square and white text on it. Like this

Think they still have it on a few products.

Yup, they started it 1979 I think and was way successful as well. (Printed your image as well.)

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:48 am UTC

Ah, beer brand beer.
Image Image
It's even worse than beer:30
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

gormster

Postby gormster » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:02 am UTC

userxp wrote:I always thought that if I had to do a TV advertisement, I'd make it completely silent. The sudden change of volume would probably attract lots of attention. I'm surprised I've never seen one like this. Of course as soon as other people started doing it it'd stop being original.

People have done this. I've seen it done for various charity and political action groups. It's not very effective - people often consume TV advertising through sound only. And if people do remember it, they tend to remember the ad and not the product.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

gormster

Postby gormster » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:05 am UTC

DaveInsurgent wrote:
Dorp wrote:All this arguing about daily meal prices got me trying to figure out my monthly food expenses... and then I remembered I spend half of each month living at a mining camp, where I not only get free meals, but I get paid to eat two of them (breakfast and lunch I always eat on-site or on the mine shuttle). Therefore, assuming it takes me about an hour to eat each 'paid' meal, and I work a regular 14 day rotation whereupon I go home and spend about $80 on food outside of work, my total monthly food cost is... around -$750. Ha! Beat that, foodie.

Ha! So if I am salaried, does that mean I can infer payment for anything I do? I think I like this. Dude, I got paid $9 yesterday for watching TV. Took a dump: pocketed $1.25.

Edit:

This is a fantastic and optimistic way of thinking about everything I do. Sleeping = $72!

Either you are paid an awful lot or that was a very long dump you took.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

DavidRoss

Postby DavidRoss » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:42 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:Heh. In many cases, the products actually do come from the same factory, but that doesn't mean they're identical.

Even if they are supposed to be identical, there is still something to be said about buying the more expensive brand. Chemists/drug stores do this a lot with generic versions of pain relievers. Chemically, the drugs might be identical, but the branded company has excess profits over the retailer-producer, which means they have more of a need to protect their cash cow and their reputation (and they happen to have a little extra cash to do that). Even if they start out in the same factory, there is the supply chain, distribution, A/C in the warehouse, etc., etc. that can make a difference. I don't want my drug-makers to be lean and mean.

dave_the_numpty

Postby dave_the_numpty » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 am UTC

Hello peoples. Don’t have time to read through many pages right now, so sorry if someone already mentioned it, but saw something the other day that says that they deliberately design the packaging of the cheapo products to be unappealing. The idea is that the people who care about buying cheap stuff know what is inside is ok, and people who usually buy expensive stuff will be put off buy the packaging.

In our local supermarket a particular example that stands out is the own brand mozzarella cheese. Two packets, on the shelf next to each other, the same cheese, that same bag, just different printing on the bag. One costs twice as much. I can only assume some people buy the more expensive printing, or they wouldn't sell it.

Worrying...

W3ird_N3rd

Postby W3ird_N3rd » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:50 am UTC

marketdoctor wrote:
Early in the morning (when you're probably still half-asleep), accidentally making a bowl of corn flakes and orange juice is distinctly undelicious.

If it's early enough, this can happen even if the products are very clearly labeled. :-S. I'd say "don't knock it until you try it", but you're probably capable of seeing consequences without direct experience, so sure, go ahead and knock it.

I've once confused such a product. I wanted to buy Euroshopper paprika crisps, but only when I opened the bag I noticed I had actually bought natural.

But I've heard worse stories. The home-brand sometimes tries to look like the A-brand, using similar colors and shapes. In some cases, this seems to go a little too far and the A-brand sues the home-brand because they are misleading the consumer. I've heard several stories of people who came home with the home-brand when they actually wanted to buy the A-brand.

SilasX

Postby SilasX » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:18 am UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:(Also, their website is pretty hilarious. It includes options such as "Help, I need to learn another language" and "Help, I'm illiterate."
http://www.helpineedhelp.com/#)

Registered just to say that I'm laughing non-stop at that site! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:20 am UTC

So, since I'm left to guess, is that "whitebrand.com", "blankbrand.com", "nobrand.com", or something else?
In all fairness...

Ronsonic

Postby Ronsonic » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:33 am UTC

v8media wrote:This was also done in the movie Repo Man. I thought it was a brilliant part of the movie. It really made the movie seem a bit strange, and that definitely went along with the rest of the film. I had seen Repo Man before hearing about that No Frills brand, but it seems like that might have been where the idea came from. The stuff in Repo Man looked almost the same as the yellow stripe cola can, but with blue stripes.

Some of that gag in Repo Man allegedly came from a feeling of rejection when almost every attempt at getting a little product placement support or funding was turned down. As a result, there are two brand names in the whole movie:
Spoiler:
7-Up they even sing the jingle.

And, of course the little tree air fresheners. The company that makes them just shipped a crate of the things.

Oldfurr

Postby Oldfurr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:47 am UTC

I remember this clearly around San Jose Ca. in the '70s and '80's when there was a big upsurge in generic foods, the labels tended to be white or a sickly yellow with nothing but the item name on the front and the appearance really did stand out from the crowd, the gross taste of the products in the packaging also stood out from the crowd all too often.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:06 am UTC

So the beer cans come closest, but everyone else screaming "GAWD my country already does this" doesn't make any sense to me. Most of the stuff that's been posted is nowhere close to the concept presented in the comic.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

orangustang

Postby orangustang » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:41 am UTC

solobutterfly wrote:Yeah, Wal-mart's Great Value stuff was my first thought.

And those products are cheaper because they save a ton on ink and save some from having to buy dedicated product packaging designers and the photographers and logo creators etc.

This. Most of their stuff has the extremely simple label with blue text on a white background, but I love when they try to fancy it up and add a graphic to the label, as with their syrup.

vector010

Postby vector010 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:42 am UTC

I can verify that some generic brands are just name brands in different packages. I used to work for Frito Lay (Makers of Lays potato chips, Doritos, Cheetos, and other snack foods) packaging the bags of product into boxes for shipping. We had something we called "Institutionalized" product. Basically we just swapped out the rolls of plastic that make the bags for the normal product and put in a roll that either has the logo of the store brand, or is just plain white with the name of the product on the front and extra info on the back (the later was for restaurants and such). The entire production process was visible to me, and whenever a production line changed over for one of these runs they normally just paused the current product being made from coming down the line long enough for the plastic to be changed in the packaging machine.

Frito Lay is a subsidiary of Pepsico (Pepsi, Quaker Oats, Gatorade, SoBe, Amp, Lipton, and more). I wouldn't doubt they do the same thing with their other product lines.

On the "cost" of time it takes to cook...

I remember reading an article a long time ago that talked about budgeting time like you budget money. The idea is that your time is worth what you get paid hourly, as that is how long you have to work for that money. Anything you that takes your time is balanced based on that cost. If it costs you significantly more to do something (based on (time*wage)+materials+tools) than it would cost you to pay someone else to do it then you pay someone else to do it. That was the stance the article took at any rate. In my case that means that if hiring someone to make my meal costs less than $5 above the cost of the food I purchased for a meal that would take a half hour to prepare I would hire someone to make my meal. Hiring could include buying something pre-made.

Personally I like the premise behind it, but I look at it as though my time is worth what I make per week averaged hourly across the week for that amount of time. In that case hiring someone to make my meal would need to cost less than ~$1 above the cost of the food I purchase.

One of the things I like about it is that you can make comparisons on the "profitability" of projects. Watching TV produces nothing so it is figured as a cost. Building a bookshelf yourself could be considered a profit if your time cost plus materials is less than what you would spend at the store for one already made.

goibee

Postby goibee » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:35 am UTC

I thought this idea was quite cool, it achieves the "uniqueness" purpose of branding. However, it wouldn't achieve the "distinguishing" purpose of marketing. Other products could imitate this without much legal ramification and then the products would be indistinguishable

otis1812

They actually did it in Israel.

Postby otis1812 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:44 am UTC

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4117702,00.html

A big supermarket chain ("Shufersal") came out recently with a 'white brand line'' featuring discount items with clean lables and packages.

Uzh

Postby Uzh » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:59 am UTC

I have a few things to say about this:

First: Most of the non-brands shown here are brands as well, only with a minimalistic design. And by the way, it's not the cost of the inking or the designing this special label, but the cost of "building the brand", that takes the money.

One thing might be bad with the non-brand brands: For the illiterates or the foreigners it might be more difficult to get teir products right. Like the one told, who put orange juice over his corn flakes. When you have a pack with cows on it and another one with oranges, that might be more clear.

Back over here our home brands use to come from big brands. You can buy whole books in Germany only on the subject "What brands are behind this non-brand?" I think it might be more expensive for the manufacturers to change their production lines (eg. add water or change the spices for the ketchup) for the cheap products than just carry on and put another packaging around. It's simply a kind of plant utilization, I guess. With a guaranteed sale. On the other hand you can (as a non-brand owner) change the producer quite simply without changing the whole branding. Not too safe for the customers, who use to trust a brand to be always the same...

Georg
"The problem is that humans have these darn biological limitations and if it gets too far from 293 K they'll start complaining, or die." http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=106000#p3483385

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:20 am UTC

I was planning to mention something about the value brands in Australia, but was beaten to it by a swarm of other people (though nobody seems to have mentioned the Coles Smart Buy and You'll Love Coles brands); though as pbjones said, they've actually fancied up their packaging in recent years.

Karilyn wrote:I'm not going to lie, I'm baffled at how you spend $200 a month on groceries per person. I'm guessing nobody in your family cooks? The suggestion of Eggos as being something you'd buy would seem to indicate that. Home-made whole-wheat waffles with fruit inside and real maple syrup, or go home. I couldn't imagine spending more than $100 a month, and I cook big meals for every meal of the day. Actually, it probably has to do with being a vegetarian. I forget how expensive meat is ($1 for a quarter pound of minced beef? That's highway robbery @_@).

That, and having kids. I have three kids, and we go through a two-litre bottle of milk every two or three days. Faster if I do much cooking with it. Some of them are also fussy eaters*, so it's not unusual for me to cook something for them, then have to make something else for one or two (though that's usually something pretty simple). Obviously that leads to increased waste and cost. But yes, things like meat and cheese ramp it up pretty quickly. Also, with kids around you tend to have a lot less time for cooking (and everything else) and use more pre-made or partially pre-made stuff. (I get home from work about an hour before the kids are supposed to go to bed. I can't spend two hours cooking a meal.) Add in takeway once or twice a week, maybe some frozen meals from time to time, and it does get expensive.

It also depends on how you define "groceries". We probably spend about $200/person/month as well, but that includes things like toiletries, laundry, and cleaning supplies, not just food.

[*] The eldest is usually pretty good at eating what we put in front of her. The middle one doesn't like rice, or any pasta except spaghetti, or potatoes. Or any meat except mince (sometimes and in some meals) and sausages. The youngest is not quite so bad but still rejects a lot of meals. The older two each will only eat one type of pizza (and no, not the same type). Even though I try to make meals they will eat, most of the time at least one won't. The only thing I've found that they'll all eat all the time is tacos (or McDonalds). But you can't have tacos every night.

linforcer

Postby linforcer » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:30 am UTC

I was just here to post about Euroshopper as well. It stands out very much like it does in the comic and I usually buy it. Or I did, before I moved to Finland which doesn't have it.

I guess the main issue with an "empty" brand is that it's too easy to copy if somehow you build a really successful brand and you don't have a leg to stand on legally to try to defend against this copying. (which is probably why most of these white label style brands have something, such as Euroshopper's font and red color)

nicievans

Postby nicievans » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

Now I'm all nostalgic for the old "Black label" generics. When wal-mart first started carrying groceries, they also carried the black label generics - white packaging, black print. As they added to their own line of generics - "Sam's Choice" "Equate" "great value" - they stopped carrying the black label items.

The AWG generics - Always save & Best Choice - have moved away from the old, plainer labelling to full color picture labels. I wish Always Save would keep the Yellow & Black plain packaging, makes it soo much easier to pick out on the shelf.

Fabio Krull

Postby Fabio Krull » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Every country had something like this, I believe.

http://static.twoday.net/post/images/ja_regal.jpg

I remember entering a huge supermarket as a kid in the eighties. The entire shop was just packet with this stuff. It was kind of scary.

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

And now for something completely different.

On the other end of the spectrum you have all this packaging with the brand name prominent, the "33% more" even larger, and then a bunch of buzzwords also quite large, then there's the "Free CD inside!" and other non-information... and the actual word which would say what's inside is in the second smallest font, just a pixel larger than nutritional information or safety precautions.

I was looking for socks in K-mart once, and I wasn't sure whether I found them. The word "socks" was completely absent on the bag, and the bit showing through the transparent part was insufficient to see whether it contains socks or some mysterious piece of underwear. The only text that described the content was "crew cuts" - which looked like a type of haircut to me. I actually had to look over the neighboring items, and only the third type of item, "knee highs", was something I could recognize and use as context. How hard can it be to print "SOCKS"?

The next offender are the pickles. The label says "dills" - well, I was trying to find dills anywhere, and after some years I found fresh ones in an Asian shop. The jar with "dills" invariably contained pickled cucumbers. The label did say "cucumbers"... in 5px font, among the ingredients.

The worst offender is the shampoo. Regardless of the brand, it is always printed in that 2nd smallest font, hidden somewhere between large buzzwords like "voluminizing". Anyone who has trouble reading small print without glasses has to go through six bottles of various conditioners to finally find a shampoo, by sheer trial and error.

So... apart from five pages of discussion over "this idea is so good it was invented dozens of times", I think any brand which prints the name of the product large enough is my preference when shopping.
United we stand politically corrected, divided we fall in love

Yoduh

Postby Yoduh » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

anyone remember when Randall's comics use to be funny?

http://xkcd.com/25/

no thread without a "how is this funny?" comment isn't a true xkcd thread.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”