0992: "Mnemonics"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

0992: "Mnemonics"

Postby Red Hal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:19 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/992/

Title Text: "'Sailor Moon's head exploded once' and 'Some men have explosive orgasms' both work for the Great Lakes from west to east (Paddle-to-the-Sea order)"

The Mnemonic we used for Geologic Periods (excluding Pre-cambrian) was "Camels Often Sit Down Carefully, Perhaps Their Joints Creak? Probably Not!" And I totally agree about unsavoury mnemonics for colour codes.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

rhomboidal

Re: 0992: "Mnemonics"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:21 am UTC

The minus SI prefixes always sound like lost Marx Brothers to me: Femto, Atto, Zepto, Yocto... They all became mathematicians instead of comedians. (Or political philosophers.)

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:24 am UTC

Randall doesn't know a mnemonic for resistor colour codes? I know it doesn't cover the whole of it, but "Richard of York gave battle in vain" kind-of works for middle.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

charlieseelig

Postby charlieseelig » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:24 am UTC

My traditional one for the planets was "Mother Very Thoughtfully Made a Jelly Sandwich Under No Protest" from Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" and back in the day when Pluto was a planet (and the "a" is for asteroids and "T" for "Terra"/Earth).

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:29 am UTC

Not "Doesn't know", just "Doesn't know any he cares for."
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:35 am UTC

the only mnemonic i know for planets was always Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto,

Having mentioned that it made me remember seeing a comedy or something once where someone was taught a mnemonic and when asked to recite the mnemonic, he had to recite the actual list of what the mnemonic was supposed to help with first as a way to remember the actual mnemonic, I can't remember what it was though. :?
Last edited by AvatarIII on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sherlip

Postby sherlip » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:37 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:The minus SI prefixes always sound like lost Marx Brothers to me: Femto, Atto, Zepto, Yocto... They all became mathematicians instead of comedians. (Or political philosophers.)

No clue how any of those sound remotely like "Karl"

Zomba

Postby Zomba » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:41 am UTC

I am a horrible person for remembering this but:

**triggery misogyny not found**
:twisted:
(Black Brown Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Grey White)

I blame my public school education for that mnemonic.

dyanhogue

Postby dyanhogue » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:41 am UTC

My dad taught me one for resistors when I was a kid: **triggery misogyny not found**. Very un-PC these days but I still remember it 40 years later.

aldonius

Postby aldonius » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:55 am UTC

bassjohn

Postby bassjohn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:00 am UTC

I hate to be a pedant (but then this IS XKCD), but none of the mnemonics for oreders of operations actually work.

The order is PEDMAS (or BODMAS for British readers {brackets, orders, divide, multipy, add, subtract}).

All of the mnemonics in the strip read as PEMDAS - multiply and divide have been switched.

MBL

Postby MBL » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:02 am UTC

I started using "Please eat my dad and sister" with my sixth graders this year, at a student's suggestion. They've never learned order of operations this quickly before.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:04 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:Not "Doesn't know", just "Doesn't know any he cares for."

I didn't know it until I had the misfortune of going through the approvals for this thread. At least he had the courtesy not to include it in the comic.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:04 am UTC

bassjohn wrote:I hate to be a pedant (but then this IS XKCD), but none of the mnemonics for oreders of operations actually work.

The order is PEDMAS (or BODMAS for British readers {brackets, orders, divide, multipy, add, subtract}).

All of the mnemonics in the strip read as PEMDAS - multiply and divide have been switched.

M and D are interchangeable because division is the same function as multiplication, division by 2 is exactly the same function as multiplication by 0.5 for example.

Tualha

Postby Tualha » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:05 am UTC

He forgot the classic stellar classification mnemonic. O, B, A, F, G, K, M, and later R, N, S were added.

Traditional: Oh, be a fine girl/guy, kiss me right now honey.

Hubble version: Obviously brilliant astronomer finds galaxies keep moving, revealing new science.

cmadler

Postby cmadler » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:08 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:the only mnemonic i know for planets was always Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto,

I recall seeing (maybe in a Heinlein novel, maybe "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel"?) "Mother Very Earnestly Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No Protest", where A=asteroid belt and of course P=Pluto since it was then considered a major planet. Pluto's demotion is so recent that I don't think there can be said to be a "traditional" mnemonic that excludes it, unless you have one that was in use from 1846-1930 -- in which case it wouldn't reference nachos, which were first created circa 1943.

bassjohn

Postby bassjohn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:08 am UTC

bassjohn wrote:I hate to be a pedant (but then this IS XKCD), but none of the mnemonics for oreders of operations actually work.

M and D are interchangeable because division is the same function as multiplication, division by 2 is exactly the same function as multiplication by 0.5 for example.

Yeah ... but ... OK I'm a fool :oops:

dado

Postby dado » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:16 am UTC

There are also mnemonics for pi. I'm French, so I know this one:
"Que j'aime à faire connaitre ce nombre utile au sage.", you count the number of letters, and it gives you the number: 3,1415926524 (which gives me one figure more than usual calculators, I like that idea I'm more precise than basic computers ;) )

This poem goes on and on (10 letters word=0), for a whole page, but I only learnt this first sentence (for the complete one, you can check here on the french wikipedia for pi: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi#M.C3.A9morisation_de_.CF.80 )
What mnemonics do you have in English for pi?

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:18 am UTC

Tualha wrote:He forgot the classic stellar classification mnemonic. O, B, A, F, G, K, M, and later R, N, S were added.

Traditional: Oh, be a fine girl/guy, kiss me right now honey.

Hubble version: Obviously brilliant astronomer finds galaxies keep moving, revealing new science.

which is correct? H or S? i assume S by the other mnemonic, so shouldn't it be sweetie rather than honey?
Last edited by AvatarIII on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xorsyst

Postby xorsyst » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:20 am UTC

bassjohn wrote:

No, you're not:

10 ÷ 5 * 2 is 4, not 1, because D happens before M.
Last edited by xorsyst on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:21 am UTC

About Taxonomy, Wasn't KPCOFGS very obsolete? Or is it because there's not even a standard in taxonomy that they teach KPCOFGS to the schools?

edit: 13/7(11).

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:28 am UTC

When I was your age, the planetary mnemonic went "Many violinists eat mars (bars). Judges sisters usually nibble peanuts" which has the advantage of including where the asteroid belt lies.

Some anatomical mnemonics:
Carpal bones - Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle
Branches of the facial nerve - Twin Zebras Buggered my friend Catherine
Cranial nerves - Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Virginal Girls' Vaginas and Hymens
And cranial nerve function - Some Say Money Matters But My Brother Says Big Breasts Matter More
Lumbar plexus - Interested In Getting Laid On Friday?

Hmmm... I'm noticing a theme emerging.

@xorsyst: your example is poorly formatted. Use parentheses to avoid ambiguity. Division and multiplication are equal in the hierarchy.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

ronald

Postby ronald » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:35 am UTC

10 / 5 * 2 is 4, not 1, because D happens before M.

If there isn't a maths forum cliche thread about this, there should be. Generally 10 / 5 * 2 should be avoided because it's ambiguous and there is no consistent application (it varies between calculators, even between calculators of the same brand, and programming languages).

We were taught BODMAS but (if absolutely necessary then) Division and Multiplication happen left to right.

adhair

Postby adhair » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:35 am UTC

dado wrote:There are also mnemonics for pi. I'm French, so I know this one:
"Que j'aime à faire connaitre ce nombre utile au sage.", you count the number of letters, and it gives you the number: 3,1415926524

Maybe I'm being trolled, but does Pi have a different value in France?

I independently came up with "nachos" when Pluto was reclassified and hadn't heard anyone else use it until now, but googling it I find that apparently the IAU owes me royalties.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:36 am UTC

xorsyst wrote:
bassjohn wrote:

No, you're not:

that sum only equals 4 because when one MUST take precedence, you give operations precedence by order left to right. what you have there is just a badly written sum, you'd be better of writing 2(10/5).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_o ... #Mnemonics
and since multiplication and division are of equal precedence, M and D are often interchanged,

xorsyst

Postby xorsyst » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:40 am UTC

ronald wrote:

If there isn't a maths forum cliche thread about this, there should be. Generally 10 / 5 * 2 should be avoided because it's ambiguous and there is no consistent application (it varies between calculators, even between calculators of the same brand, and programming languages).

We were taught BODMAS but (if absolutely necessary then) Division and Multiplication happen left to right.

I agree it should be avoided, but BODMAS gives us a definite order or precendence for it. (As does BO(DM)(AS), which is what you're familiar with). The same goes for 10 - 5 + 2.

javahead

Postby javahead » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:45 am UTC

I LOL'd heartily at the Planets mnenomic.

Yeah, fuck hell. Here I come!

selgart

Postby selgart » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:46 am UTC

Wow, that resistor color code one is horrible, but it must be a regional thing because the one I learned high school in New York City in the '70s used "ruin" for the R. That's a very different vibe because ruin always had an eyebrow wiggle associated with it because of course the girls weren't ruined at all. There's sort of a naughty complicitness implied in using "ruin," which is why both boys and girls who learned the mnemonic said it with a little bit of a smile. And that's totally different than the one others have recited. Wow.

Also, when I learned it there were an additional three letters for the tolerance band. The colors are gold, silver, and none, for 5%, 10%, and greater than 10% possible variance from the stated resistor value. So the whole mnemonic as I learned it was

Bad Boys Ruin Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly, Get Some Now

Also, a friend of mine who's maybe five years older and went to a different New York City high school in a different borough learned it the same way I did, so I don't think it was just one electronics teacher who changed the wording. So we have a least two New York City boys who learned it independently the far less harmful way.

It would be interesting to have a map of the mnemonic based on location and decade to see if the variation is regional, time-based, or if there's maybe some other factor involved.

legobenj

Postby legobenj » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:55 am UTC

Does anybody else here use the Major Mnemonic System to remember numbers?

shinybeard

Postby shinybeard » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:56 am UTC

I fondly remember one of my math teachers giving us a mnemonic for sine cosine and tangent as "Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Tripping On Acid."

Not something you necessarily need a mnemonic for, but it is certainly memorable.

mervaka

Postby mervaka » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

Zomba wrote:I am a horrible person for remembering this but:

**triggery misogyny not found**
:twisted:
(Black Brown Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Grey White)

I blame my public school education for that mnemonic.

Same, except "Black, Brown" as I learned it were "Black Bastards" :s

ktrexler

Postby ktrexler » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:07 pm UTC

Should have checked with an EE major, we've had Resister code Mnemonics since at least the 1960's. The one I learned was not Basically Decent, though: **triggery misogyny not found**. In the late 70's, some of us changed it to: Big Boss Rapped Our Young Gonads, But Vinny Got Whacked - or - Big Bang Rang Our Yule Gong, But Violence Goes Wrong

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:07 pm UTC

I noticed they weren't in order, too, and although they are interchangeable, it still bugged me a little that the mnemonics didn't match the strip >.<

I think I'm over it now, though. Just about.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:09 pm UTC

xorsyst wrote:I agree it should be avoided, but BODMAS gives us a definite order or precendence for it. (As does BO(DM)(AS), which is what you're familiar with). The same goes for 10 - 5 + 2.
To say division comes before multiplication because the mnemonic has D before M is an absurd argument. If you rely upon this whilst using a calculator or software, you will - as others have said - run into problems. Use parentheses.

On a related note, how do you parse 10 - 5 - 2? You seem to disregard left-to-right, and you've got no order of precedence for two subtraction operations.
Last edited by VectorZero on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:46 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

ichthy

Postby ichthy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:11 pm UTC

From when I was at school.

My vibrating electric masterbatory aid (asteroid belt) just started undulating naughty parts.

I was very proud.

ladygem

Postby ladygem » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:13 pm UTC

The one I learned for Taxonomy was "Kings Play Cards On Fat Green Stools"
I went to Catholic school, which is probably why I didn't learn the King Philip one.

javahead

Postby javahead » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Oh, yes, The OSI Layers

Spoiler:
All pussy seems to need deep penetration.

Application
Presentation
Session
Transport
Network
Data
Physical

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model# ... OSI_layers
Last edited by apricity on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spoilered blatant misogyny

xorsyst

Postby xorsyst » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:
xorsyst wrote:I agree it should be avoided, but BODMAS gives us a definite order or precedence for it. (As does BO(DM)(AS), which is what you're familiar with). The same goes for 10 - 5 + 2.
To say division comes before multiplication because the mnemonic has D before M is an absurd argument. If you rely upon this whilst using a calculator or software, you will - as others have said - run into problems. Use parentheses.

That's the system I was taught, that division does strictly come before multiplication (and addition before subtraction), and then left-to-right within each operator. I'm well aware that standard precedence rules in computer languages don't agree with that, but I hadn't realised that we now taught it differently to match up.

I don't dispute you should use brackets to make things clearer and less ambiguous, obviously.
Last edited by xorsyst on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:56 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Terp01

Postby Terp01 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

My West Michigan public school in the 70's used:

"Mary's violet eyes make John stay up nights, period"

for planetary order which is easily adjusted to allow for Pluto's new status by dropping the "period" but misses the asteroid belt.

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:29 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:the only mnemonic i know for planets was always Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto,

Having mentioned that it made me remember seeing a comedy or something once where someone was taught a mnemonic and when asked to recite the mnemonic, he had to recite the actual list of what the mnemonic was supposed to help with first as a way to remember the actual mnemonic, I can't remember what it was though. :?

That's the only one I used.

I've never used mnemonics and can't really understand how they could possible help. Firstly, I'd never remember the mnemonic, and even if I did would forget what it's being used for.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”