0931: "Lanes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10338
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby addams » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:44 am UTC

altoids_man wrote:Featuring Breast Cancer in your Cancer Awareness post is fine.

Just realize that Prostate Cancer incidence and death rates are higher than that for breast cancer. http://nooilforpacifists.blogspot.com/2 ... nding.html

Even so, breast cancer funding is twice that of prostate cancer.

P.S. What is prostate cancer awareness month? Hint: coming soon.


Oh. I am sorry. But; The prostate is tucked away out of site out of mind. Boobs are right out there in the open. We all know we like tits. The prostate has a location problem.

Of course, we care. It is important. The suffering of a man with prostate problems is important. But, Prostates are not cute and the location thing, agan.

Hey! I discovered the cute little symbols. What fun. :oops:
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

rabidhornfan
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:33 pm UTC

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby rabidhornfan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:41 pm UTC

I know EXACTLY what this cartoon means. I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Ovarian Cancer in September 2008, then found out in April 2009 I had Follicular Lymphoma. No matter what kind of surgery you have you still run the risk of finding "suspicious cells" somewhere else. I went through a total hysterectomy, pieces of tissue removed from my liver, kidney, lungs, etc., then had immunotherapy and a stem cell transplant all at the age of 20. I've been relatively healthy since- only having "milder" procedures, but I have to be constantly checked every three months for active cancer cells and it's going to be that way the rest of my life.

User avatar
Steve the Pocket
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC
Location: Going downtuuu in a Luleelurah!

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:43 am UTC

I am totally in favor of using "Fuck cancer" as the slogan for some cancer awareness and/or research funding thing. I was thinking about it tonight, and I was reminded of a choice quote from Reverend Tony Campolo. To paraphrase, if people are more bothered by the fact that some people are saying "fuck" in public than about the fact that other people are dying, well, fuck them too.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

nasher
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:11 am UTC

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby nasher » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:16 am UTC

thank you for making this comic...

I am a thyroid cancer survivor. and no cancer is a good cancer and no cancer is just over.

I have survived 1 year and i know thyroid cancer people who have been 15 years before a re-occurrence

this really touched me and my family.

thank you

mpj918
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby mpj918 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:54 pm UTC

I'm a 22 year old biology major and for the past 9 months, a cancer survivor. Randall, thank you for expressing what I could not. You helped my friends, family, and loved ones understand the fear I live with every day of my life. Also, I have used the line from "tattoo" #933 several times around campus. I always get laughs from my friends who are in on the situation. Helps lighten the subject, which is what we need to do. Cancer needs to become less of a stigma, and then we can have people helping people instead of people being afraid of people. Keep strong, and keep fighting.

jpk
Posts: 607
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:33 am UTC

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby jpk » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:32 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:I am totally in favor of using "Fuck cancer" as the slogan for some cancer awareness and/or research funding thing. I was thinking about it tonight, and I was reminded of a choice quote from Reverend Tony Campolo. To paraphrase, if people are more bothered by the fact that some people are saying "fuck" in public than about the fact that other people are dying, well, fuck them too.



Where does the comparison come in? If I'm the sort of person who respects a certain sort of decorum, you're not going to set me in motion by saying "fuck" a lot. That doesn't mean I like cancer, it just means you're not going to convince me to take any particular action that way.
It's not like saying "fuck cancer" offend the cancer and make it go away - it's just a branding exercise, and that's all it is. If it doesn't work on some people that just means you (as a marketer) have done your job badly. It doesn't mean that your target market is wrong to not be moved by your appeal.

squonk
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby squonk » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

Of course, there are also roads where the patient dies by something that is completely unrelated to the cancer.

Really, it's not just cancer patients, but everyone, who should be paralyzed with fear by thinking of all the possible things that could happen to them in the course of a year, or even a day.

VeeTee
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby VeeTee » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

I somehow couldn't help it .. because it looked a bit too negative.. and especially for cancer it's important to stay positive and see things in life from the brighter side.. no matter what the prognosis is..

http://serial-experiments.eu/hideout/2011-10-22%20(1)%20Path%20integrals%20[he].JPG

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10338
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby addams » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:39 am UTC

squonk wrote:Of course, there are also roads where the patient dies by something that is completely unrelated to the cancer.

Really, it's not just cancer patients, but everyone, who should be paralyzed with fear by thinking of all the possible things that could happen to them in the course of a year, or even a day.


Yeah. That is true.
Active people have shit happen to them.
Cancer. Bicycle accidents. Boating accidents. Auto accidents. Space debris. Heart Attack. Stroke. Good God!!

Yeah. And; Even worse than that, is, having nothing at all happen.

Nothing. One gray day blending seamlessly into another. Nothing.

Oh me yarm. Or; This.
Turn the sound off. The visuals stand alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z8nD025BFE

O.K. Nothing is looking better and better.

What 'ya doing? Nothing. You?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L03k0dmJ ... re=related
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:43 am UTC

Welp, looks like I stumbled onto the on ramp :(
CT scan and blood test in 6 days time, to see (as well as can be determined) if the surgery 2 days ago was enough,

Also, ouch.
Also, good thing that was redundant.
jpk wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:I am totally in favor of using "Fuck cancer" as the slogan for some cancer awareness and/or research funding thing. I was thinking about it tonight, and I was reminded of a choice quote from Reverend Tony Campolo. To paraphrase, if people are more bothered by the fact that some people are saying "fuck" in public than about the fact that other people are dying, well, fuck them too.



Where does the comparison come in? If I'm the sort of person who respects a certain sort of decorum, you're not going to set me in motion by saying "fuck" a lot. That doesn't mean I like cancer, it just means you're not going to convince me to take any particular action that way.
It's not like saying "fuck cancer" offend the cancer and make it go away - it's just a branding exercise, and that's all it is. If it doesn't work on some people that just means you (as a marketer) have done your job badly. It doesn't mean that your target market is wrong to not be moved by your appeal.
Agreed.
I never say that, not even to cancer. Though there's a certain irony now.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Welp, looks like I stumbled onto the on ramp :(
CT scan and blood test in 6 days time, to see (as well as can be determined) if the surgery 2 days ago was enough,


Good luck.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:48 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Good luck.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3104
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby orthogon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:30 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Welp, looks like I stumbled onto the on ramp :(
CT scan and blood test in 6 days time, to see (as well as can be determined) if the surgery 2 days ago was enough,

I guess that's today; fingers crossed and best wishes. I can't be the only regular who wanted to respond but didn't quite know how (I'm afraid my first response was "fuck", but given the rest of your post that wouldn't have helped). But if you feel like letting us know how it went, your friends on the forum would like to hear. If you don't, that's cool too.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:36 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Welp, looks like I stumbled onto the on ramp :(
CT scan and blood test in 6 days time, to see (as well as can be determined) if the surgery 2 days ago was enough,

I guess that's today; fingers crossed and best wishes. I can't be the only regular who wanted to respond but didn't quite know how (I'm afraid my first response was "fuck", but given the rest of your post that wouldn't have helped). But if you feel like letting us know how it went, your friends on the forum would like to hear. If you don't, that's cool too.
So far, so good. CT scan after chemo showed everything had completely resolved, and last week's blood test (4 months(!) after chemo) showed everything to be as it ought to be.
And my hair's grown back. And I'm back to full time programming.
:D

Thanks all for the best wishes and such.

(The orchidectomy scar is still a nuisance though, and sometimes I get a bit of numbness in my toes, but it's all quite bearable.)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 109 guests