0921: "Delivery Notification"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Brooks Hatlen

0921: "Delivery Notification"

Postby Brooks Hatlen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:17 am UTC

Alt. text: "You can arrange a pickup of your sword in Rivendell between the hours of noon and 7:00 PM."

My friends would totally be down to do this. "You have my sword." "And my axe."

Fixblor

Re: 0921: "Delivery Notification"

Postby Fixblor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:38 am UTC

Gollum as Strider.

The laptop is loaded with Google's new Black Speech OS.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

sherlip

Postby sherlip » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 am UTC

I hate when this happens.

Doorbell rings. Five seconds later... "Where the fuck did he go?"

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:02 am UTC

There should be a question mark, not an exclamation mark, after the "WHAT" in the second panel.

Sorry...

Azkyroth

Postby Azkyroth » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:14 am UTC

Oflick wrote:There should be a question mark, not an exclamation mark, after the "WHAT" in the second panel.

Sorry...

I assume it wasn't pronounced like a question.

Also, where the hell does Randall live where they leave notices? The last month or two, they've just dumped the package on my doorstep and not just walked away but turned the corner out of sight in the time it takes to slip into and button a pair of shorts. >.>

kbltd

Postby kbltd » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 am UTC

Oh yeah. Too true to be good...

fernie

Postby fernie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:36 am UTC

I guess I'm spoiled, I know the Fedex guy by name, and he goes out of his way to knock/ring doorbell and wait at most that I remember (when I slept in one day) about 3 minutes while I distinguished the knocking from dreaming and finally made it to the door. He also personally asked what to do if we are not home since once I had to run all over town hunting down my package. Turns our he's willing to gently (done it 3 times, never saw any damage on the box, how exactly, I have no clue) toss the packages (typically weighting from 1-20 lbs) over our side fence (7 foot fence) in a water-tight-sealed bag...

Yeah... I'm spoiled... then again, getting deliveries 3-4 times a week I guess makes you a regular customer, even though I don't directly pay him?

Carl T

Postby Carl T » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:23 am UTC

So UPS are about as reliable as the Royal Fail in the UK, then? In all fairness this only happened a couple of times during our 3 years in the UK, and the service there is generally a lot better and cheaper than what we get in Sweden, but it's still annoying. Apparently what happens there is that some postmen don't want to risk having to carry the parcel to the door and back to the car, so they just assume that you're out if they're there at an hour when you're usually not home. Extra annoying if you've stayed home to receive the bloody parcel...

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:40 am UTC

From where I'm sitting, just typing in xkcd.com returns the previous comic. You have to add /921 to hit this one. Is this a bug or a feature?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:12 am UTC

Let me be the first to ask.... What?

GreatS

Postby GreatS » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:17 am UTC

Still though, if you would go and fetch your delivery from the storehouse you aren't even stealing, just trespassing, interesting thought actually XD. Although, if you're carrying a sword that probably won't really help you :D

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:30 am UTC

LTK wrote:Let me be the first to ask.... What?

Have you never had one of those "we're sorry you were out" cards posted even though you were actually in?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:33 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:

Have you never had one of those "we're sorry you were out" cards posted even though you were actually in?

No. But I get what the upper row of panels is saying, I just lose track of what happens next. The LotR stuff doesn't really help.

dantman

Postby dantman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:48 am UTC

*sigh* I wish Amazon would let me have things send by FedEx. Perhaps not the exact delivery notice while I was actually at home and awake (Although, now that I think about that, I think they might have actually done that to me once) but there's plenty else wrong with UPS. Bad delivery tracking system. I have no clue how the times between order and delivery have been, but FedEx have always been very consistent and very quick to deliver (and I'm talking US->Canada deliveries, not domestic), probably faster than UPS. And UPS seams more keen to just drop a package off without any verification, while FedEx consistently makes sure I'm actually me (I DO live in a building with multiple units and hence multiple people) and gets a signature for delivery, and gives me any information on customs fees. FedEx's customer service was even great the time that I ordered a package without including my buzzer number in the address (buzzer number != unit number here, without it they wouldn't have been able to buzz in for the delivery) and called in to get the address for the package updated.

TL;DR: FedEx > UPS. Same kind of thing probably happened to me, and other annoyances.
Last edited by dantman on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoPianoTuner

Postby ChicagoPianoTuner » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:48 am UTC

Main character doesn't receive laptop delivery despite being home, plans to set out on quest to find package, asks for elves to make sword, sits at home and misses delivery of elven sword despite being home.

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:01 am UTC

Ahh. Got it, thanks.

Kemp

Postby Kemp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 am UTC

It's like Randall is psychic or something, in terms of subject matter if not the details. I've been waiting for a parcel since Monday (estimated date from both the supplier and the delivery company), and each day the tracking shows it getting loaded onto the van and unloaded at the end of the day with no delivery attempt made (not even a failed attempt). It's via HDN though, so we generally expect much worse. If my parcel gets here in one piece it will be miracle for them.

For those playing along at home, the loading and unloading is so that the depot is cleared each day, even if the parcels are still hanging around in their system. It looks better to their managers.

See http://kempj.blogspot.com/2011/07/delivery-scoring-system.html for my new delivery scoring system and http://kempj.blogspot.com/2011/07/delivery-scoring-part-1.html for my current delivery.

flguy1980

Postby flguy1980 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:30 am UTC

When I lived in apartments, UPS and FDX would leave me knockers all the time, and I'd have to play the "go to website, request hold, and wait a few days" game on a regular basis. They were obviously unwilling to leave anything in front of an apartment door for obvious reasons.

I currently live on a one-acre lot on a dead-end street. UPS and FDX leave _everything_ on the front porch, and even ding-dong-ditch packages. They even did this with a laptop, since Newegg doesn't do signature-required.

FDX has the best system for signature-required packages. If I know the tracking number, I can go to FDX's website while it's in transit and ask for it to be redirected straight to a FDX/Kinko's location. Open 24/7. So instead of waiting a few days for the package to make it from a FDX truck to the FDX station, then drive 10+ miles to pick it up, it's at a Kinko's about 2-3 miles from my house. Useful, eh?

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:35 am UTC

Although I am amused by the LOTR tie in, I am currently wearing a UPS shirt because I work there. Hey Randall, how about a comic that shows a cartoonist in a bad light?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

AFW

Postby AFW » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:48 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Although I am amused by the LOTR tie in, I am currently wearing a UPS shirt because I work there. Hey Randall, how about a comic that shows a cartoonist in a bad light?

Yeah Randall. Also, as a man with a slender body type, I find the stick figure drawings offensive.

Kemp

Postby Kemp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:55 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Although I am amused by the LOTR tie in, I am currently wearing a UPS shirt because I work there. Hey Randall, how about a comic that shows a cartoonist in a bad light?

I don't know the situation in the US, but over in the UK I've found UPS to generally be really good. Royal Fail/Parcelfarce are usually the lowest common denominator (you really don't want to be worse than them), HDN has a really bad reputation, and DHL's domestic side was bought out by HDN so (AFAIK) they've adapted to the same level. Citylink seem ok, but I've not had very many parcels at all via them.

cr101

Postby cr101 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:56 am UTC

Is anyone else seriously hoping this is the first comic in a story arc?

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:08 pm UTC

This shows a cartoonist in a bad light - http://xkcd.com/78/
And this is him blatantly making fun of his art - http://xkcd.com/157/

I probably could find more if I could be bothered.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

radtea

Postby radtea » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

And UPS seams more keen to just drop a package off without any verification

UPS in my experience is keen to just drop packages... they're OK with books and whatnot, but anything bigger than a breadbox comes through looking like it's been mauled by a pack of bears. I work for a company that ships heavy instruments (30 kg, box is about 1 m on a side) out to test sites world-wide, and when we used UPS they were routinely returned with the accelerometers triggered, the "DO NOT STACK" triangles on the top crushed flat, and the heavy cardboard boxes ripped, missing corners, and so on.

We switched to FedEx and things got better. Not perfect, but better.

For domestic packages in Canada the best choice is actually Canada Post (when their workers aren't on rotating strikes or locked out completely).
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

I recently had a Phone delivered that exposed a major inconsistency in the UPS delivery process.

It was *supposed* to arrive the 28th and according to the tracking number there was an arrival scan done at 1:05 AM in my local sorting office and by 4:15 it was on a truck and out for delivery.

It didn't show up by 19:30 so I went to inquire since there was no sticky and was told that it had never made it to the regional hub.

Contacted UPS.. they looked into it and my phone had been routed to *Pennsylvania* (I'm in the panhandle of Florida)

Which ok.. I can understand a phone getting misrouted, these things happen.. even tho it sucks that I didn't get it til yesterday due to the holiday.. but seriously WTF does an "Arrival Scan" mean if it *doesn't* mean that the phone Arrived and was scanned?

Apparently all it means is a truck showed up and hell who knows my phone might be there.. not like anyone checked.
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

eleniy86

Postby eleniy86 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

cr101 wrote:Is anyone else seriously hoping this is the first comic in a story arc?

same here. this quest would make a fantastic story!

marsman57

Postby marsman57 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:11 pm UTC

dantman wrote:*sigh* I wish Amazon would let me have things send by FedEx. Perhaps not the exact delivery notice while I was actually at home and awake (Although, now that I think about that, I think they might have actually done that to me once) but there's plenty else wrong with UPS. Bad delivery tracking system. I have no clue how the times between order and delivery have been, but FedEx have always been very consistent and very quick to deliver (and I'm talking US->Canada deliveries, not domestic), probably faster than UPS. And UPS seams more keen to just drop a package off without any verification, while FedEx consistently makes sure I'm actually me (I DO live in a building with multiple units and hence multiple people) and gets a signature for delivery, and gives me any information on customs fees. FedEx's customer service was even great the time that I ordered a package without including my buzzer number in the address (buzzer number != unit number here, without it they wouldn't have been able to buzz in for the delivery) and called in to get the address for the package updated.

TL;DR: FedEx > UPS. Same kind of thing probably happened to me, and other annoyances.

Odd, in my wife's experience (she obsessively checks tracking unlike me), FedEx takes hours to update on the website after events happen whereas UPS was instant. I personally have not had much problem with either. One weird thing about FedEx for us is that I don't know if others have this happen, but it seems they pass off delivery of some of our packages to the USPS? It will have been FedEx shipped, but it arrives with our mail in the mailbox in the end.

When we lived in an apartment building with a lot of access, we would get stickies a lot. One time, we were hooked up with the driver of the truck and met him about 10 blocks from our house to get the package. Another time, we did go down to the sorting facility, which was a bit of a drive, but it could be done the same evening around 7PM, so it was not a big deal.

We moved to another apartment complex, and when we did, all UPS and FedEx packages were dropped to the main office if you were not home. That worked out pretty great. Now that we have a home, they just leave it on the doorstep (or sometimes in the garage if it is open). The funny thing is that you have to usually check outside. They almost never ring the doorbell. They either just tap the door once, drop it, and walk away, or they don't even do that and just drop it.

As for the comic itself, I was worried it was going to be really boring, but I liked the punchline. The alt text suffered as it just explained the joke though. :-/

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

I could go on for hours about the dramaz we've had getting parcels with UPS and DHL. But I'm sure it's all bog-standard stuff. they all suck, for some reason.
the comic was funny!

cphite

Postby cphite » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

You have to consider the fact that while most of his audience can relate to UPS guys doing cruddy things that ruin our days, most of us have never had a cartoonist do so.

For example, why does UPS tend to leave those notes when someone is home, far more often than the other delivery services? I've had it happen to me twice this year. Would it kill them to ring the doorbell?

Or explain to me why, on more than one occasion, the UPS guy has left a package out in the rain in front of my house, when he could have easily placed it on the front porch? Oh, and by the way, this includes packages that were flagged to require a signature; but apparently according to the standards of UPS, leaving them in the yard qualifies as pretty much the same thing as delivery with a signature.

I can't think of a single time that a cartoonist has done anything as annoying.

Almost in register

Postby Almost in register » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

Oflick wrote:There should be a question mark, not an exclamation mark, after the "WHAT" in the second panel.

Sorry...

Not necessarily. Instead of using two marks ("WHAT!?"), you can let the stronger mark override the other.

Seems like the elves' label should have been a little different from the UPS one.

@dmin

Postby @dmin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

I'm just upset that there is way too much detail in that missed delivery slip.

BlueLikeYou

Postby BlueLikeYou » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:34 pm UTC

If this happens (or if you are actually gone), you could try calling UPS and see if you can pick up your package after hours. I do this all the time.

koipen

Postby koipen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Weird. I just got my own laptop from the post this morning. What a coincidence.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

cphite wrote:

You have to consider the fact that while most of his audience can relate to UPS guys doing cruddy things that ruin our days, most of us have never had a cartoonist do so.

For example, why does UPS tend to leave those notes when someone is home, far more often than the other delivery services? I've had it happen to me twice this year. Would it kill them to ring the doorbell?

Or explain to me why, on more than one occasion, the UPS guy has left a package out in the rain in front of my house, when he could have easily placed it on the front porch? Oh, and by the way, this includes packages that were flagged to require a signature; but apparently according to the standards of UPS, leaving them in the yard qualifies as pretty much the same thing as delivery with a signature.

I can't think of a single time that a cartoonist has done anything as annoying.

They do it because they've been given too many packages to deliver, and if they waited for everyone to answer the door, they wouldn't get it done (God forbid they should hire more drivers so as to allow them to actually do their job). Sometimes I'm sure it is just the driver being lazy, but the people who assign their deliveries deserve some of the blame too, as do HR for not hiring more drivers. Also, they tend to prioritise deliveries to commercial addresses because that's where they make the most money. They couldn't give two shits about a private individual because they don't make much money off them, and the chances are good that that individual really is out at work. That means they can afford to piss off the few customers who actually waited in all day.

I used to get my parcels delivered to work because that guaranteed they'd arrive on the promised delivery day, but then an email went out telling everyone to stop doing that.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:12 pm UTC

cphite wrote:For example, why does UPS tend to leave those notes when someone is home, far more often than the other delivery services? I've had it happen to me twice this year. Would it kill them to ring the doorbell?

Or: why leave the package in the rain at the door behind the building, where we did not find it until the next day, and where the rain (from the west) could more easily reach it--even though were were there and the front door open? This one still mystifies (and irritates) me.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

MoistTaint

Postby MoistTaint » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:17 pm UTC

I like the part where the UPS guy is reading comics about their inefficiency while at work and complaining about it's subject matter.

Yes, an assumption. For art!

And Hi.

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

It is a local/regional thing, as to which delivery service does better. I live in an area where UPS happens to be fastest/most reliable.

Our US mail delivery person swears she always rings the doorbell, although we have missed deliveries, despite multiple awake adults at home at the time.

I have never ever gotten an elven delivery on time. Orcs have the worst reputation, and really ugly uniforms, but their management style seems to be quite effective in the package delivery business. YMMV.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

This comic had me totally confused until I realized that the yellow thingies on the door were supposed to be those notifications. And not of delivery, but of failure of delivery. Is that an American thing? Them nailing those to the door? Here in NL we just use the mailbox for that.

But yeah, it is majorly annoying. I've had this is well, home all day, several other roommates who were also home all day, and then a notification that you weren't home. They lie about it too, I once had a company claim they tried to deliver it *before* the package was even sent. And then you can bike for 45 minutes through the rain to come and pick it up. Assholes.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

"I want more personal service!" followed shortly by "What! UPS is so expensive!" You guys crack me up. As a side, if you ever really want to make sure you get a box and you've had issues in the past, have it delivered to your work, or to a UPS Store.

@dmin wrote:I'm just upset that there is way too much detail in that missed delivery slip.

That was my first thought too!

Hale
Location: Las Cruces, NM, USoA; NA, Terra; Sol, Outer edge Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way.

Postby Hale » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

I hope the laptop wasn't from newegg, UPS likes to play football(soccer) with boxes from them.
I make no claims to sanity, spelling, grammar, or really any content worth reading in my post. I also edit them.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”