0907: "Ages"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eyal

Army.

Postby Eyal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

Funny.
i live in Israel, which means that the whole college period is actually "army", which means everything is pushed forwards 3 years (4, actually, since it usually takes about a year of travel/work/nothing-at-all to get adjusted to the civil world and actually start university).
wonder how much the fact that the majority of a country enters the following stages at different phases of life changes things...

grayvsgrey

Re: 0907: "Ages"

Postby grayvsgrey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

jfriesne wrote:
Moose Hole wrote:I'm just hoping that with 72 virgins, I can get at least one to put out.

The joke's on the Muslims... it turns out that having sex after you're dead makes just as much sense as eating after you're dead. No body == no need to reproduce == no sexual urges == no wonder there's so many virgins in heaven. :)

Christian perspective: there's no marriage or sex in heaven, but because it's heaven we won't miss it at all.

inquisitorj1

Postby inquisitorj1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

My girlfriend is the manager of a high end adult store and really wants to put this comic up as a big banner on the wall. There is a retirement community a block away that is a major part of their business.

blackhatmatt

Postby blackhatmatt » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

cphite wrote:
joke [johk]
noun, verb, joked, jok·ing.
–noun
1. something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act: He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him.
2. something that is amusing or ridiculous, especially because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce: Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke.
3. a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter: The loss was no joke.

Yes, right, I get that. I've said, I'm pretty sure, that the fact that the joke gets under my skin is my own issue. I also stated that my observation wasn't meant to judgmental, I'm just talking. You don't need to be condescending. I understand that it's a joke, I just don't find it funny.

I could go and quote definitions for "discussion," "opinion," or "friendly conversation," if you'd like.

And for the record, while I generally enjoy xkcd, it's definitely on the list of webcomics that (IMO, once again) should avoid children, babies and the raising thereof as topics. But if anyone has anything useful to say on the subject, I'll cheerfully listen and respond, and not even smarmily quote dictionaries at you. :)

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

blackhatmatt wrote:And for the record, while I generally enjoy xkcd, it's definitely on the list of webcomics that (IMO, once again) should avoid children, babies and the raising thereof as topics.

Also, lactation.

SamSam

Postby SamSam » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

@blackhatmatt: Just stop. You're sounding ridiculous. "Babies are dumb" is a basic stereotype. Jokes and comics deal in stereotypes. In case you hadn't realized, this whole comic was a chain of stereotypes. Why are you so focused on the one and not the others?

"Woooo!! College!! Wooo!! [Vomit]"

Do you think that's an accurate depiction of everyone's college experience? Let me tell you, it isn't. And yet, no one here is writing comments that say (paraphrasing yours): "Yeah, see, people who think this tend not to have spent time with [college students]. I don't say that as judgment, just noting that it's a bit of an oversimplification."

Somehow, I think your alternate infant-caption ("I desperately want to communicate with you, but language is hard and arbitrary and my orofacial muscles, like the rest of them, really, aren't doing what I want yet.") is almost exactly as funny as my alternate college-caption ("Some people drink but the people I hang out with work pretty hard, and even if I might have a beer now and then, I know how much money this is costing my parents so I will try not to waste it").

Wow, the two of us would be writing some really funny comics, huh?

I don't even understand your aim. Are you trying to educate people, and tell them that babies can actually think? Do you think anyone doesn't actually know this? I think you're seeing ignorance everywhere, while really what you should be seeing is your own lack of understanding.

NB: I didn't actually think this was a funny comic anyway. But your pet-peeve is a really, really silly thing to have spent all this time whining about.

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

blackhatmatt wrote:And for the record, while I generally enjoy xkcd, it's definitely on the list of webcomics that (IMO, once again) should avoid children, babies and the raising thereof as topics. But if anyone has anything useful to say on the subject, I'll cheerfully listen and respond, and not even smarmily quote dictionaries at you. :)

You really think these topics should be avoided just because you don't personally care for jokes about them?

The entire comic was a collection of stereotypes about age. And, one pretty common stereotype for babies is that they're basically in their own little world. Hence the "non-sentient" thing. I don't think the author believes that babies are really non-sentient creatures; just as I don't think he believes that college is only about throwing up, or that our 30's are only about realizing our careers are hard. Those are simply stereotypes. Over-generalizations. Jokes.

Certainly you could come up with all sorts of research showing how babies really are sentient, and explain why they spend so much of their time staring at nothing and drolling on themselves. You could also find oodles of research showing that many college students don't actually drink; and that some 30-somethings actually enjoy their jobs. But you'd be missing he point.

thesingingaccountant

Postby thesingingaccountant » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:29 am UTC

It just occurred to me that I am 33, and thus far, this timeline has corresponded very closely to my life (including the alt-text). Retrograde GOOMHR.
Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”