0901: "Temperature"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Andrusi
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:43 pm UTC
Location: YES TOWN
Contact:

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby Andrusi » Fri May 20, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

VonDoom wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:I guess you're supposed to make up the funny part, as in "here are some panels, come up with a funny joke yourself and there you have it".


Seems a pretty lazy way of doing it. Surely I could achieve the same effect by browsing Google images after inputing a random word into the search.

Then why aren't you? Hop to it!
Not named Dennis Miller.

User avatar
Balesk Baj, Timeburner
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:07 am UTC
Location: Wherever parallel dimension I'm currently living in...

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby Balesk Baj, Timeburner » Fri May 20, 2011 1:08 pm UTC

Whoa, I did not see that, um... coming.
Magnanimous wrote:I'd have a giant I Tetris piece shoved down my throat, after which my neck will flash and disappear.

User avatar
BrianB
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby BrianB » Fri May 20, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Faranya wrote:In all honesty, wouldn't an effective oral pregnancy test be tremendously popular? Particularly if it were reusable?


Think of how many pregnancies could be *avoided* if there were more oral.....

VonDoom
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 8:39 am UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby VonDoom » Fri May 20, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

Andrusi wrote:
VonDoom wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:I guess you're supposed to make up the funny part, as in "here are some panels, come up with a funny joke yourself and there you have it".


Seems a pretty lazy way of doing it. Surely I could achieve the same effect by browsing Google images after inputing a random word into the search.

Then why aren't you? Hop to it!


Beyond the point that I already mentioned that it wouldn't be fun?

User avatar
ViKing
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby ViKing » Fri May 20, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:sounds like a pretty pointless exercise :D it would probably be a pretty small number, most of the time making one of the figures a girl is probably just for visual diversity, in the same way giving some figures hats is, except in the cases of romantic strips i guess, (although i suspect some of the sexual role reversals would actually add to the comic :D)

Yeah it's not an actual serious suggestion, I was taking Eebster's point further.

It's just something to make you* think about your view of gender stereotypes in regards to an internet-stick figure comic. There isn't anything in the comic to suggest the character is male, except when you consider the "blank" stick figure, without anything added to give the impression of one gender over another, is male by default.

* you in the general sense, not specifically you AvatarIII
Three slips and a gully.

User avatar
jqavins
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:50 pm UTC
Location: Eastern panhandle, WV

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby jqavins » Fri May 20, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

At first I chuckled. A cute, funnyish comic. But I laughed out loud at the alt-text. Not because it's terribly witty or "intrinsically" funny, but it completely blind-sided me. Maybe it shouldn't have, but it did. And that made it hilarious.
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

User avatar
MikeStern
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:37 am UTC
Location: Sioux City

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby MikeStern » Fri May 20, 2011 1:38 pm UTC

That's funny, I didn't know Randall was into Urolagnia.

...That's how I interpreted it, at least

User avatar
ArbreEpineux
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:37 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby ArbreEpineux » Fri May 20, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

I think it was more of a "woah that's unexpected" kind of funny rather than a specific joke funny. :P

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby AvatarIII » Fri May 20, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

ViKing wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:sounds like a pretty pointless exercise :D it would probably be a pretty small number, most of the time making one of the figures a girl is probably just for visual diversity, in the same way giving some figures hats is, except in the cases of romantic strips i guess, (although i suspect some of the sexual role reversals would actually add to the comic :D)

Yeah it's not an actual serious suggestion, I was taking Eebster's point further.

It's just something to make you* think about your view of gender stereotypes in regards to an internet-stick figure comic. There isn't anything in the comic to suggest the character is male, except when you consider the "blank" stick figure, without anything added to give the impression of one gender over another, is male by default.

* you in the general sense, not specifically you AvatarIII


well blank stick figure is clearly male from early strips, continuing the assumption is just easy, also xkcd has a kind of fictional/autobiographical thing going on so assuming "blank guy" is male makes sense as the main character of a male written comic.
but i totally see your point

User avatar
jqavins
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:50 pm UTC
Location: Eastern panhandle, WV

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby jqavins » Fri May 20, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

ViKing wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:sounds like a pretty pointless exercise :D it would probably be a pretty small number, most of the time making one of the figures a girl is probably just for visual diversity, in the same way giving some figures hats is, except in the cases of romantic strips i guess, (although i suspect some of the sexual role reversals would actually add to the comic :D)

Yeah it's not an actual serious suggestion, I was taking Eebster's point further.

It's just something to make [one] think about [one's] view of gender stereotypes in regards to an internet-stick figure comic. There isn't anything in the comic to suggest the character is male, except when you consider the "blank" stick figure, without anything added to give the impression of one gender over another, is male by default.

But there is a reason. Perhaps it's a weak one, but it's real. It's known that Randall uses the hair to identify females. And that's not outrageous, because more women have noticable length hair in our society than men. In reality it's a usable, if poor indicator, which is reason enough for Randall in incorporate it and adopt it as an XKCD convention. And since it is the convention in XKCD, one is justified in assuming that a character without visible hair is probably a male.

One person's hot button is my pet peeve. Not every sex-based* assumption is based solely on a sexist stereotype.

Also, sometimes the sex stereotypes, that are based on things that are (or recently were) more true than not, add to the humor. Consider http://xkcd.com/841/. It wouldn't be as funny if the sexes were reversed, because they already are reversed from "normal;" guys are generally somewhat more likely to be audiophiles and women likewise more likely not to be. Geeky girls are the exceptions, even if more and more common as time goes by. That's why geeky girls are hot. Admit it: how many (straight) guys reading this don't want to get next to that girl from the e-Surance web department when she's arguing with The Saver? Or Abby on NCIS? (Yummy!)

* Words have genders. People have sexes. "Euphemisms are for the differently brained" - Spider Robinson
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby SirMustapha » Fri May 20, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

ArbreEpineux wrote:I think it was more of a "woah that's unexpected" kind of funny rather than a specific joke funny. :P


And "unexpected" is always funny by default?

VonDoom
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 8:39 am UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby VonDoom » Fri May 20, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
ArbreEpineux wrote:I think it was more of a "woah that's unexpected" kind of funny rather than a specific joke funny. :P


And "unexpected" is always funny by default?


That's not what they said, their comment suggests that, atleast in this case, they found it to be funny because they didn't expect it. Not that everything that they don't expect is funny.

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby SirMustapha » Fri May 20, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

VonDoom wrote:That's not what they said, their comment suggests that, atleast in this case, they found it to be funny because they didn't expect it. Not that everything that they don't expect is funny.


And what is the humour in "thermometer acts like pregnancy test for no reason"?

VonDoom
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 8:39 am UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby VonDoom » Fri May 20, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
VonDoom wrote:That's not what they said, their comment suggests that, atleast in this case, they found it to be funny because they didn't expect it. Not that everything that they don't expect is funny.


And what is the humour in "thermometer acts like pregnancy test for no reason"?


I have no idea, I was just clarifying what they were saying. I think it's a terrible comic.

User avatar
ViKing
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby ViKing » Fri May 20, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

jqavins wrote:But there is a reason. Perhaps it's a weak one, but it's real. It's known that Randall uses the hair to identify females. And that's not outrageous, because more women have noticable length hair in our society than men. In reality it's a usable, if poor indicator, which is reason enough for Randall in incorporate it and adopt it as an XKCD convention. And since it is the convention in XKCD, one is justified in assuming that a character without visible hair is probably a male.

One person's hot button is my pet peeve. Not every sex-based* assumption is based solely on a sexist stereotype.

Also, sometimes the sex stereotypes, that are based on things that are (or recently were) more true than not, add to the humor. Consider http://xkcd.com/841/. It wouldn't be as funny if the sexes were reversed, because they already are reversed from "normal;" guys are generally somewhat more likely to be audiophiles and women likewise more likely not to be. Geeky girls are the exceptions, even if more and more common as time goes by. That's why geeky girls are hot. Admit it: how many (straight) guys reading this don't want to get next to that girl from the e-Surance web department when she's arguing with The Saver? Or Abby on NCIS? (Yummy!)

* Words have genders. People have sexes. "Euphemisms are for the differently brained" - Spider Robinson

I know, it is a reasonable assumption, but is still an assumption. I'm also certain that it is exactly how Randall intends it to be interpreted. :)
And I am most definitely not free of the assumption myself, but I like to stay aware of when I'm doing it.

I'm going to get down from my horse now, before I hurt myself.
Three slips and a gully.

User avatar
SpringLoaded12
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 am UTC
Location: Guarding the Super Missile
Contact:

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

It got a chuckle out of me. I like seeing xkcd strips without dialogue, though there's nothing wrong with the ones that do have it.
error_frey wrote:conceivement

conception.
Sorry :oops:

SirMustapha wrote:
ArbreEpineux wrote:I think it was more of a "woah that's unexpected" kind of funny rather than a specific joke funny. :P


And "unexpected" is always funny by default?

No, he didn't say that. It's usually not funny, in fact. And while criticism is fine, you don't need to alienate new forum members.
Welcome to the fora, ArbreEpineux.

jqavins wrote:Geeky girls are the exceptions, even if more and more common as time goes by. That's why geeky girls are hot. Admit it: how many (straight) guys reading this don't want to get next to that girl from the e-Surance web department when she's arguing with The Saver? Or Abby on NCIS? (Yummy!)

Geeky girls aren't attractive (I believe "hot" refers only to physical attributes) because they are rare, they are attractive because of the shared interests. Many guys want girls with whom they share interests, so a girl who plays Dungeons & Dragons and owns a SNES will pretty much be worshipped in the geek community. Or fought over, or objectified. Or maybe even treated like a human being. Bonus points to all of the above if she is good-looking of course, but what constitutes that is a matter of opinion.

Wait... "that girl from the e-Surance web department"? Do you mean the cartoon one with the pink hair?
As for Abby, agreed, she's awesome.


EDIT: Woops, double-post, sorry about that. I deleted the second one.
Last edited by SpringLoaded12 on Fri May 20, 2011 3:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

PicNick
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby PicNick » Fri May 20, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

Randall, are you sick? ME TOO.

just thought I'd mention that I revel in our shared pain. (hope you feel better.)

User avatar
jqavins
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:50 pm UTC
Location: Eastern panhandle, WV

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby jqavins » Fri May 20, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:
jqavins wrote:Geeky girls are the exceptions, even if more and more common as time goes by. That's why geeky girls are hot. Admit it: how many (straight) guys reading this don't want to get next to that girl from the e-Surance web department when she's arguing with The Saver? Or Abby on NCIS? (Yummy!)

Geeky girls aren't attractive (I believe "hot" refers only to physical attributes) because they are rare, they are attractive because of the shared interests.

(I believe "hot" refers to anyone who gets one turned on. Too many people don't notice, or won't admit, that that isn't always someone with great looks. [Not that looks don't help.] Anyway...)

Anthropologically, I read once that there is a natural attraction to outsiders (which wars internally with the natural distrust of outsiders.) It's supposed to helps to widen the gene pool of one group by bringing in "fresh blood." This partially explains why so many white guys are attracted to oriental women, and more general inter-racial kinks as well. (No flames, please. Not all inter-racial relationships are manifestations of this, but it's a factor when, for example, Jagger is singing "Brown Sugar"; it ain't just the dancing.) Certainly, common interests have whole a lot to do with it, but I think that the rarity of geeky girls makes them "outsidres" in the world of geeky guys and taps into this deep human nature stuff.
SpringLoaded12 wrote:Wait... "that girl from the e-Surance web department"? Do you mean the cartoon one with the pink hair? As for Abby, agreed, she's awesome.

Oh, no, no, no, no. I'm talking about those live action commercials set in a fake office where the web developers have this rivalry with the phone sales department and the one smarmy guy talks to the woman in the web department about all the money he saves people and how he's called "The Saver" and it gets her steamed and they argue. Like this one: http://www.esurance.com/media-center?ts ... =GGLBR0004. In a still, she looks OK but nothing very special. But in context, ya just want to giver a big hug, tell her that The Saver is just a jerk, then take her home and-- Well, maybe it's just me.
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

error_frey
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:11 am UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby error_frey » Fri May 20, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:It got a chuckle out of me. I like seeing xkcd strips without dialogue, though there's nothing wrong with the ones that do have it.
error_frey wrote:conceivement

conception.
Sorry :oops:


Being a non-english speaker (mostly reader) I welcome every correction to my mistakes! :)

thanks

User avatar
Monika
Welcoming Aarvark
Posts: 3673
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am UTC
Location: Germany, near Heidelberg
Contact:

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby Monika » Fri May 20, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

ViKing wrote:I think everyone who hasn't already should reread the entire comic archive with the following presupposition:

Every stick figure with short/no hair is female
Every stick figure with long hair is male

Count how many times the comic doesn't make sense because of it.

ViKing wrote:Yeah it's not an actual serious suggestion ...

It's just something to make you think about your view of gender stereotypes in regards to an internet-stick figure comic. There isn't anything in the comic to suggest the character is male, except when you consider the "blank" stick figure, without anything added to give the impression of one gender over another, is male by default.

Watch this commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ut1Ak7zOeE

Now watch it again assuming that's a little girl :D .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

jqavins wrote:Words have genders. People have sexes.

Ähem. People have a sex and a gender. These are not aligned for all people. Start e.g. here http://ftmichael.transboys.info/trans101.html . Or google a different Trans 101. (Other Trans 101s may use slightly different wordings or definitions for a few terms, but the overall idea is the same.)
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

RogueCynic
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby RogueCynic » Fri May 20, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

Simple, to the point and funny. The title text merely an afterthought.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

User avatar
jqavins
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:50 pm UTC
Location: Eastern panhandle, WV

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby jqavins » Fri May 20, 2011 6:01 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
jqavins wrote:Words have genders. People have sexes.

Ähem. People have a sex and a gender. These are not aligned for all people. Start e.g. here http://ftmichael.transboys.info/trans101.html . Or google a different Trans 101. (Other Trans 101s may use slightly different wordings or definitions for a few terms, but the overall idea is the same.)

I'll look at t when I get home; I'm at work now and it's probably not a good idea. Still, people have both physical sexes and sexual identities, but "gender" is about linguistics. ("He," "him," "his," vs. "she," "her," "hers"; "el cuchillo plateado" vs. "la lingua plateada," etc.) Using "gender" for psychology is just as euphemistic and using it for biology. Even though words do change naturally over time, I catagorically reject all arbitrary, artificial, and political redefinitions.
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

Andrusi
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:43 pm UTC
Location: YES TOWN
Contact:

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby Andrusi » Fri May 20, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

VonDoom wrote:
Andrusi wrote:
VonDoom wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:I guess you're supposed to make up the funny part, as in "here are some panels, come up with a funny joke yourself and there you have it".


Seems a pretty lazy way of doing it. Surely I could achieve the same effect by browsing Google images after inputing a random word into the search.

Then why aren't you? Hop to it!


Beyond the point that I already mentioned that it wouldn't be fun?

Where did you mention that? :?
Not named Dennis Miller.

User avatar
Monika
Welcoming Aarvark
Posts: 3673
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am UTC
Location: Germany, near Heidelberg
Contact:

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby Monika » Fri May 20, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

jqavins wrote:people have both physical sexes and sexual identities

The usual wording is physical sexes and gender identities.
(Well, many say biological sex, but that's problematic as the gender identity is - most likely - biologically determined, too, before birth.)

but "gender" is about linguistics

That's what you claim. You are wrong. It is not only about linguistics.

Using "gender" for psychology is ... euphemistic ... Even though words do change naturally over time, I catagorically reject all arbitrary, artificial, and political redefinitions

Woohoo, languages change over time, big surprise! Next you tell us black people must stop being offended when you call them colored or negroes.
I suggest you run right up to the medical association that makes the ICD and tell them they are wrong calling it Gender Identity Disorder
(Actually, they are wrong, but because it's not a disorder [in the same way as being gay or bi is not a disorder, even though they once claimed this decades ago], it is just an incongruence between the sex and the gender.)

Long story short, you and a few other people may still think "gender" only refers to grammar, but you have long been outnumbered. So give up now.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

MockFerret
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby MockFerret » Fri May 20, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Good one. Made me laugh.

jqavins wrote:Using "gender" for psychology is just as euphemistic and using it for biology. Even though words do change naturally over time, I catagorically reject all arbitrary, artificial, and political redefinitions.
Earliest use I can find in English of "gender" being used for the male/female type thing comes from Thomas Usk's The Testament of Love, probably written around 1380. Personally, I think when a word has a definition with a history traceable back over 600 years, then it has "made it", so to speak, regardless of whatever political or other intentions there may or may not have been when it was first used that way.

User avatar
jqavins
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:50 pm UTC
Location: Eastern panhandle, WV

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby jqavins » Fri May 20, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
jqavins wrote:people have both physical sexes and sexual identities

The usual wording is physical sexes and gender identities.
(Well, many say biological sex, but that's problematic as the gender identity is - most likely - biologically determined, too, before birth.)

I'm not concerned with the "usual" wording. My whole point is to reject the usual wording.
Monika wrote:
but "gender" is about linguistics

That's what you claim. You are wrong. It is not only about linguistics.

Clearly, we are at an impasse.
Monika wrote:
Using "gender" for psychology is ... euphemistic ... Even though words do change naturally over time, I catagorically reject all arbitrary, artificial, and political redefinitions

Woohoo, languages change over time, big surprise!

No it's not a surprise; it's half of distinction between two types of change.
Monika wrote:Next you tell us black people must stop being offended when you call them colored or negroes.
I suggest you run right up to the medical association that makes the ICD and tell them they are wrong calling it Gender Identity Disorder
(Actually, they are wrong, but because it's not a disorder [in the same way as being gay or bi is not a disorder, even though they once claimed this decades ago], it is just an incongruence between the sex and the gender.)

Y'know, I really wanted to let this go, but then came a couple of things I just have to respond to. First, GID's name is wrong because those who named it bowed to Basic Human Decency and used a euphemism instead of naming it honestly. But I won't bother to tell them so (Are any of you reading?) because it would be quite pointless. (And a huge number of GID diagnoses are incorrect because there is no disorder, but for those few people who are seriously troubled their incongruous physical and mental sexes there is a disorder requireing counselling, where the outcome may be to eliminate the incongruity but is more often to help the person come to terms with it.)

Second, no, I won't tell people with heavy skin pigmentation to stop being offended (though I do think the periodic changes are rather silly; we're probably due for another new word any year now.) But this is a differnt thing; noone is trying to redefine "negro" to be something else (like, say, white europeans who are really black folks trapped in the wrong body.)
Monika wrote:Long story short, you and a few other people may still think "gender" only refers to grammar, but you have long been outnumbered. So give up now.

I was outnumbered when I insisted the 2000 was not the first year of the 21st century, but all those other people were still wrong. Majority opinions are still opinions, and they don't make facts.

Long story short, I'm a curmudgeon, and you appear from where I sit to be heavily invested in the politically motivated meaning of this word. I've stated my position and I understand yours. I trust the reverse is true. I see no reason to discuss it further. You may have the last word if you like; I promise to make no more responses on the matter.
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

User avatar
jqavins
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:50 pm UTC
Location: Eastern panhandle, WV

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby jqavins » Fri May 20, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Well, OK, no more responses to Monica
MockFerret wrote:Earliest use I can find in English of "gender" being used for the male/female type thing comes from Thomas Usk's The Testament of Love, probably written around 1380. Personally, I think when a word has a definition with a history traceable back over 600 years, then it has "made it", so to speak, regardless of whatever political or other intentions there may or may not have been when it was first used that way.

OK, that's a point. I admit I was unaware of any such use before the late 20th century. One counterpoint, though; if it's from 1380 then it is not in Modern English, but rather in Middle English. Are there more than trivial examples from the period of the late 17th to late 20th centuries?
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

Logifal
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby Logifal » Fri May 20, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

madock345 wrote:Funny Comic. I cant decide if it is suposed to be a joke about how similar they look, or how pregnant women have a higher body temperature. Probably both, come to think of it.

I'd rather go for the first one - they look very similar and maybe one day we'll get those together :) You can't actually deduce that it's about pregnant women having a higher body temperature.

busyba
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 4:31 am UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby busyba » Fri May 20, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

VonDoom wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:I guess you're supposed to make up the funny part, as in "here are some panels, come up with a funny joke yourself and there you have it".


Seems a pretty lazy way of doing it. Surely I could achieve the same effect by browsing Google images after inputing a random word into the search.


Well, here you go. knock yourself out.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=random%20words&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1256&bih=900

User avatar
Richard.
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:29 am UTC
Location: On the internets
Contact:

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby Richard. » Fri May 20, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

I lol'd right when I saw this. Elegantly hilarious.
we live in a beautiful world.

Spoiler:
Image

Hacura
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:51 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby Hacura » Fri May 20, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

Personally, I would like to make one that does exactly this as a prank device.

That may have been the point of the comic really.

Black Daemon
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 9:30 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby Black Daemon » Fri May 20, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:well blank stick figure is clearly male from early strips, continuing the assumption is just easy, also xkcd has a kind of fictional/autobiographical thing going on so assuming "blank guy" is male makes sense as the main character of a male written comic.
but i totally see your point


I find it interesting that "blank person" seems to indicate that the person is a guy, not a girl. Honestly, I think it's most accurate to assume that blank indicates an one without a gender and perhaps sexual organs from both sexes. Or from neither sex, although that would pretty much mean that said person will have some other serious issues.

Anyway, on the gender issue, it is naive to claim that gender is only an issue of langue. As I do not suffer from being having a different gender as my sex, I cannot really explain the feelings one would have. All I can really say is look stuff up on the internet or ask people you know to be transgendered or transsexual what feelings and issues they have and have to face. I do not recommend "Ticked Off Trannies With Knives."

Here are some interesting documents that may help enlighten you.

A blog that follows trans issues: http://transblog.grieve-smith.com/
gpac (Gender Public Advocacy Coalition): http://gpac.org/
An LGBTQ document from UC Riverside: http://out.ucr.edu/pdf/Trans101.pdf

xtifr
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby xtifr » Fri May 20, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

Black Daemon wrote:Anyway, on the gender issue, it is naive to claim that gender is only an issue of langue.

No more naive than to claim that "decimate" can only refer to killing one in ten. It may not be true, but at least there's some historical basis to the claim. Note that the Collin's online dictionary lists the non-linguistic meaning of gender as informal, though Websters does not.

Anyway, jqavins muffed the punchline. You're supposed to say, "words have gender, people have sex." It's no more accurate that way, but at least the double entendre offers a chance for a chuckle.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Black Daemon
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 9:30 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby Black Daemon » Sat May 21, 2011 12:34 am UTC

xtifr wrote:
Black Daemon wrote:Anyway, on the gender issue, it is naive to claim that gender is only an issue of langue.

No more naive than to claim that "decimate" can only refer to killing one in ten. It may not be true, but at least there's some historical basis to the claim. Note that the Collin's online dictionary lists the non-linguistic meaning of gender as informal, though Websters does not.


I'm not so sure about that. I find it's much more accurate to say gender is a cultural issue. That's a large part of why language and gender are as intertwined as they are--not because gender comes from language, but because language has been used to describe culture's gender constructions and views. Of course, this begs the questions concerning whether culture comes from language, vice versa, or do they help construct each other to some degree. Frankly, as I do not know much about this topic, I probably shouldn't speak very heavily on this, so let me end by saying here's an interesting article that seems goes against my claims (I only really read the abstract): http://lcnl.wisc.edu/publications/archive/6.pdf

yay Serbia!

xtifr wrote:Anyway, jqavins muffed the punchline. You're supposed to say, "words have gender, people have sex." It's no more accurate that way, but at least the double entendre offers a chance for a chuckle.


hahaha, that's pretty silly. Where'd that come from?

User avatar
BytEfLUSh
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:15 am UTC
Location: Sombor, Serbia, Pizza
Contact:

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby BytEfLUSh » Sat May 21, 2011 1:00 am UTC

xtifr wrote:You're supposed to say, "words have gender, people have sex." It's no more accurate that way, but at least the double entendre offers a chance for a chuckle.

I chuckled at this more than I did reading the comic. :)

Black Daemon wrote:yay Serbia!

Yay indeed! :D
Image

Image

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

clanders
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:07 am UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby clanders » Sat May 21, 2011 1:49 am UTC

"Shit," Randall thought, looking at the comic he had just created for his thrice-weekly online comic. It was actually funny. Like, in a subtle, show-don't-tell way. Totally uncharacteristic. All the cuddlefish were going to be so disappointed. Who could have a get-out-of-my-head moment with a comic like this?!

"Wait, couldn't I...?" Randall's always-on mind raced, finally settled on a tried-and-true method for making sure his comics were never too funny, and if they were, they were eventually ruined. It was called 'after the punchline dialogue,' but at this point Randall just considered it an old friend. "I know just how to fix this..." he said out loud to his blowup doll (Megan, though she rarely responded), scribbling furiously.

User avatar
A_of_s_t
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:10 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby A_of_s_t » Sat May 21, 2011 3:30 am UTC

VonDoom wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:
VonDoom wrote:That's not what they said, their comment suggests that, atleast in this case, they found it to be funny because they didn't expect it. Not that everything that they don't expect is funny.


And what is the humour in "thermometer acts like pregnancy test for no reason"?


I have no idea, I was just clarifying what they were saying. I think it's a terrible comic.

Ah, I didn't realize that XKCD was catered to your sense of humor. Make sure to email Randall -- he must have misinterpreted his audience.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Fixblor
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:20 am UTC
Location: Pencilvania

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby Fixblor » Sat May 21, 2011 4:57 am UTC

Did you know there's a voltmeter that measures pH?
It reads battery acid or alkaline.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9119
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 21, 2011 7:52 am UTC

Black Daemon wrote:I find it's much more accurate to say gender is a cultural issue.


That's how I understand it. For a very simple example, take toy commercials: boys play with monster trucks and girls play with makeup sets. Or baby blanket colors, blue and pink. These are gendered constructions that have absolutely nothing to do with the sexual organs a child has, but rather cultural and societal norms. Thus, it may be possible for a person to have a certain physical sex (eg. male) but feel like they identify with a different gender (eg. likes fashion accessories instead of Nerf guns). And it is society-dependent in many cases - little boys don't automatically desire powder-blue nursery sets when they're born. In fact, less than a century ago pink was considered the more masculine color in Western culture.

Sex is what you're born with; gender's what you learn.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
dr pepper
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

Re: 0901: "Temperature"

Postby dr pepper » Sat May 21, 2011 9:39 am UTC

joee wrote:I wonder if you could hack a normal thermometer (with the LCD displays) to do that, and then give it to a male, and watch his reaction.

Wait, do thermometers with LCD displays exist? Or did I just make that up?


I have one. They've been around for a long time. But i'm pretty sure they hhave a very simple hardwired mapping and so wouldn't be hackable. Otoh, you could probably swap out the inner works for a custom one. Heck, i have a $70 picture frame that runs Linux, such pranks will probably be a lot easier just a few years down the line.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 96 guests