0889: "Turtles"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

A_of_s_t

Re: 0889: Turtles

Postby A_of_s_t » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:44 am UTC

Not one of the better comics...
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

PCChris

Postby PCChris » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:02 am UTC

I feel trolled.

Guinness

Postby Guinness » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:08 am UTC

I'm not a turtle.

I'm a dolphin.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:52 am UTC

Wow. Wiki never lies.
Turtle = tortoise.
Mind Blown. You learn something new every day. I did not know a "sea turtle" is such because of the "sea" tag. I thought turtle only applied to them, and not to tortoises. Oops.

[edit]
Eternal Density wrote:So, how are you holding up? Because, I'm a potato.

Oh my. That is great. Gonna have to play that part again! (That and... "SpaaaaaaaaaaceeeeeeeeeE")
Last edited by Technical Ben on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

dtech

Postby dtech » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:53 am UTC

TortoiseSVN never makes me regret deleting a file...

crummett

Postby crummett » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:00 am UTC

>> You bet your sweet ass I am.

Oh, snap! I was gonna say that!

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:05 am UTC

I think the caption would have been better as the alt-text. Having it right there kind of reads as explaining the joke, and the alt-text is almost gratingly self-referential.

I'm not entirely sure the last panel really adds anything, either.

Still, was a nice comic, and has a cute reference to Discworld without spelling it out.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

obarey

Postby obarey » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:29 am UTC

Was I the only one expecting a TMNT reference somewhere?

squig

Postby squig » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:56 am UTC

obarey wrote:Was I the only one expecting a TMNT reference somewhere?

Read the previous posts and find out.

UrielZyx

Postby UrielZyx » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:58 am UTC

WizenedEE wrote:He hasn't figured out that he's a tortoise. Turtles don't live to be 50 years old.

sea turtles live to 80+-

duckshirt wrote:Reminds me of a great quote I read on amirite.net...
I like turtles because they're so chill. They don't hurt anyone. They're just like, "Hey man, I just want to swim, and maybe eat some lettuce. But I'm gonna take my time getting there; I'm not in a rush. Because I'm a turtle." amirite?

sea turtles are actually pretty fast, and omnivorous...

kobayashimaru3

Postby kobayashimaru3 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:38 am UTC

I was hoping for a Grapes of Wrath reference.

JamesP

Postby JamesP » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:12 am UTC

Obviously the creature is being sarcastic in its statement of being a turtle. It is in fact a tortoise therefore the comic falls within the scope of XKCD. :)

illiterati

Postby illiterati » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:22 am UTC

Turtle zen. ^_^

Considering how much stress + worry life has sometimes, I somewhat envy the turtle.
"Baby seals are jerks. They deserve to be eaten. They're all horribly racist! They think Hitler was a pretty okay dude! And if there's one thing killer whales hate, it's Nazis." ~ Questionable Content

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:27 am UTC

No matter what Randall has done before, I think this counts as the most fucking stupid xkcd comic yet. I hope that's what he was going for.

This is the kind of joke I would expect from my brother's moron friends back in high school. Especially the "Turles have it figured out, man."

What figured out? And why are you talking like a crusty old drum circle hippy?
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:32 am UTC

kbinferno wrote:in before this doesn't fit into romance sarcasm math or language

it's sarcasm and language

a) it's a tortoise sarcastically calling itself a turtle, because of the mass of people who think there is no difference.
and
b) it's a tortoise that can subvocalise in English, therefore language

lly

Postby lly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:34 am UTC

Boring comic, not much else to say there.

UrielZyx wrote:
duckshirt wrote:Reminds me of a great quote I read on amirite.net...
I like turtles because they're so chill. They don't hurt anyone. They're just like, "Hey man, I just want to swim, and maybe eat some lettuce. But I'm gonna take my time getting there; I'm not in a rush. Because I'm a turtle." amirite?

sea turtles are actually pretty fast, and omnivorous...

There are also Alligator Snapping Turtles and Common Snapping Turtles...

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:46 am UTC

this thread is lacking Terrapins!

ModestMouse

Postby ModestMouse » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:47 am UTC

Slow and steady, man.

ModestMouse

Postby ModestMouse » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:13 pm UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:No matter what Randall has done before, I think this counts as the most fucking stupid xkcd comic yet. I hope that's what he was going for.

This is the kind of joke I would expect from my brother's moron friends back in high school. Especially the "Turles have it figured out, man."

I like this comic. Most often slow and methodical wins over fast and chaotic.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

ModestMouse wrote:
vodka.cobra wrote:No matter what Randall has done before, I think this counts as the most fucking stupid xkcd comic yet. I hope that's what he was going for.

I like this comic. Most often slow and methodical wins over fast and chaotic.

There is no methodology here. It's the kind of joke you hear when an autistic kid smokes pot. And then this entire thread is filled with people with a similar stoned mindset.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Fionacat

Postby Fionacat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:48 pm UTC

You look down and see a tortoise, Leon. It's crawling toward you...
Leon: Tortoise? What's that?
Holden: You know what a turtle is?
Leon: Of course!
Holden: Same thing.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

I am a tortoise.

Andrusi

Postby Andrusi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:No matter what Randall has done before, I think this counts as the most fucking stupid xkcd comic yet.
vodka.cobra wrote:And then this entire thread is filled with people with a similar stoned mindset.

Well, the important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to both.
Not named Dennis Miller.

Lunar Savage

Postby Lunar Savage » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

Pretty sure he was high when he wrote this. Either way, I like it.

*reads through thread* Some of you are rather snobbish, uptight, prudish, and seem to think that anything other than an obscure reference with an intelligent spin is beneath you when it comes to these comics. Lighten the Hell up. xD
*Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb.

TA67

Postby TA67 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

anyone who doesn't laugh at turtle jokes think too highly of themselves.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

TA67 wrote:

anyone who doesn't laugh at turtle jokes think too highly of themselves.

There is no joke here. Attempting to squeeze humor out of a vacuum is dumb, and it makes everyone who does it dumb.

DuckReconMajor

Postby DuckReconMajor » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

AvianMinded wrote:I'm probably reading too much into this one, but it makes me a little sad. I could easily see this comic as something that was inspired by those recent family events that Randall went through. A loved one and I had a similar discussion about dogs and how awesome it might be to not be self-aware (especially when you have an 'expiration date' looming over your head.) Ultimately we came to the conclusion that the ability to enjoy sex more than makes up for it.

But yeah the conversation kinda started the same way... "Dogs are lucky. They don't give a shit about cancer. They're just like 'Hey! What's this lumpy thing on me?' and then someone usually puts them down before they experience too much pain. All they know is that they're a dog and that's alright."

This post was a bit depressing... You should probably do an image search on pandas or something... Just in case.

This is what I figure it to be about at first, which I'd find disappointing. I mean, I think everyone's had that thought, and I wouldn't consider that knowing your audience any more than "hey guys I breathe air." I mean, maybe make a joke about problems you'd face if you did get to be a turtle, I dunno.

My guess is Randall's probably stressed and is daydreaming about being turtle. That or stoned out of his mind. But since the comics don't have dates on them if that's the joke no one will get it past today.

mdistancerunner

Postby mdistancerunner » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

kbinferno wrote:in before this doesn't fit into romance sarcasm math or language

it's sarcasm and language

a) it's a tortoise sarcastically calling itself a turtle, because of the mass of people who think there is no difference.
and
b) it's a tortoise that can subvocalise in English, therefore language

WizenedEE wrote:He hasn't figured out that he's a tortoise. Turtles don't live to be 50 years old.

JamesP wrote:Obviously the creature is being sarcastic in its statement of being a turtle. It is in fact a tortoise therefore the comic falls within the scope of XKCD. :)

As you all apparently failed in your wikipedia look-ups, TURTLE is a catch-all word for all members of the order Testudines, which, incidentally enough, includes TORTOISES.

Him saying he's a turtle is equivalent to you saying you're a primate. Works just as well.

reegee

Postby reegee » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:58 pm UTC

loves that all these people can tell it is a tortoise not a turtle from a dodgy (sorry randal) sketch and an age ref. neither of which would have much use when identifying a tortoise from a turtle..
not that it matters anyway.. cause it's turtles all the way down.
"Well the product works first time 60% of the time"

verbingthenoun

Postby verbingthenoun » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

Oh man, just the other day, I was a turtle! Get out of my head Randall!

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

I like turtles.

jgh

Postby jgh » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

mdistancerunner wrote:As you all apparently failed in your wikipedia look-ups, TURTLE is a catch-all word for all members of the order Testudines, which, incidentally enough, includes TORTOISES.

You fail research forever. Try looking in a book.
mdistancerunner wrote:Him saying he's a turtle is equivalent to you saying you're a primate. Works just as well.

No, it's like saying you're a monkey. Primate => testudines, tortoise => human, turtle => monkey.

Turtles are marine reptiles, tortoises are land reptiles. If you put a tortoise in water it'd drown.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

jgh wrote:
mdistancerunner wrote:As you all apparently failed in your wikipedia look-ups, TURTLE is a catch-all word for all members of the order Testudines, which, incidentally enough, includes TORTOISES.

mdistancerunner wrote:Him saying he's a turtle is equivalent to you saying you're a primate. Works just as well.

No, it's like saying you're a monkey. Primate => testudines, tortoise => human, turtle => monkey.

Turtles are marine reptiles, tortoises are land reptiles. If you put a tortoise in water it'd drown.

Jgh speaks from experience, for s/he is clearly a zoosadist.

daliboz

Postby daliboz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

Bobulesca

Postby Bobulesca » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

I read it's theoretically possible for Testudines to live forever if you keep them in a sterile environment. Apparently they don't die of old age.

rabidmuskrat

Postby rabidmuskrat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

jgh wrote:

You're both right and wrong simultaneously.

wikipedia wrote:Turtles are reptiles of the order Testudines (the crown group of the superorder Chelonia), characterised by a special bony or cartilaginous shell developed from their ribs that acts as a shield. "Turtle" may either refer to the Testudines as a whole, or to particular Testudines which make up a form taxon that is not monophyletic—see also sea turtle, terrapin, tortoise, and the discussion below.

nicepants42

Postby nicepants42 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_N_rjkdcKU

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

TA67 wrote:anyone who doesn't laugh at turtle jokes think too highly of themselves.

You gotta be kidding me. Is that how you deal with contrary opinions? "You have a perfectly valid personal opinion, and that makes you an arrogant snob". And then people get annoyed with the "trolls".

And don't make me repost the "Excessive Quotation" strip.

Lunar Savage wrote:Pretty sure he was high when he wrote this.

Nah, hardly. It's the kind of comic that pretents to be "stoned". I shudder just wondering what kind of humour Randall made if he actually did drugs.

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

Some of you are rather snobbish, uptight, prudish, and seem to think that anything other than an obscure reference with an intelligent spin is beneath you when it comes to these comics. Lighten the Hell up. xD

No kidding!

Personally, I think it's a great comic. Maybe if some of these people tried a little less hard to analyze it, they'd see the (rather obvious) point he's trying to make with it.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

cphite wrote:
Some of you are rather snobbish, uptight, prudish, and seem to think that anything other than an obscure reference with an intelligent spin is beneath you when it comes to these comics. Lighten the Hell up. xD

No kidding!

Personally, I think it's a great comic. Maybe if some of these people tried a little less hard to analyze it, they'd see the (rather obvious) point he's trying to make with it.

That it's a turtle?
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

aegiswings

Postby aegiswings » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

cphite wrote:

No kidding!

And what point is that?

I agree that this is the worst xkcd comic yet. I almost feel... cheated and I'm considering canceling my subscription.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”