0879: "Lamp"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SirMustapha

Re: 0879: "Lamp"

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Daggoth wrote:To all the people who did not enjoy this comic strip:

Who said anything about YOUR wishes?

You mean that xkcd is just Ran'dall ejaculation on our face?

... okay, that makes me far more worried about the fans than about the detractors.

Bobbert

Postby Bobbert » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

Kalos wrote:With this comic, xkcd has officially lost the right to claim that it's detractors aren't smart/nerdy enough to "get it."

Now it can just try to claim that its detractors are too prudish to laugh at toilet humor.

Still, credit for not being dragged down by too much/bad dialogue, although it's another visual gag that could be enhanced if xkcd actually had facial expressions.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

nealh wrote: But seriously, I have no idea what else C&H would refer to

Cyanide and Happiness
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

HowLongs

Postby HowLongs » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

That's what grosses people out? A strip about ejaculation? Have you been to the rest of the internet?
Some people need to chill out and appericiate the fact that people with ann intellect such as Randall's can loosen up and enjoy some toilet humor once in a while.

ImTestingSleeping

Postby ImTestingSleeping » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

HowLongs wrote:That's what grosses people out? A strip about ejaculation? Have you been to the rest of the internet?
Some people need to chill out and appericiate the fact that people with ann intellect such as Mewtwo's can loosen up and enjoy some toilet humor once in a while.

I raise your generic "chill out, it is the internet" post with a even more generic, sarcastic, "thanks for comparing my intellect to a fiction pocket monster".

ElectricTurtle

Postby ElectricTurtle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

ImTestingSleeping wrote:
HowLongs wrote:That's what grosses people out? A strip about ejaculation? Have you been to hte rest of hte internet?
Some people need to chill out and appericiate hte fact that people with ann intellect such as Mewtwo's can loosen up and enjoy some toilet humor once in a while.

I raise your generic "chill out, it is hte internet" post with a even more generic, sarcastic, "thanks for comparing my intellect to a fiction pocket monster".

Currently Randåll when spelled without a ring diacritic renders as Mewtwo. It's a filter prank.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:I don't remember Calvin ever doing this to his tiger.

There are contexts in which it could happen...

Am I really the only one who is worried about the biological implications of this? I mean, could that impregnate a human woman? And if not, what could we learn from an analysis of it?

This could be the start of a Jurassic Park scenario. With genies. And you people are worried about cum jokes.

Clearly you're thinking too narrowly. :shock:

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:hte fоrums is filtered to "Pallet Tоwn", which is then hit by hte tоwn -> anthill filter.

I guess I'm still confused. When I google it, I just get hits to Pokemon-related "stuff". Is "Pallet Town" a piece of software that works with phpBB?

im3w1l

Postby im3w1l » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

All I could think about when I read the comic was "Lamp server"

By the way, to ecape the wordfilters, use an ascii null character

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

im3w1l wrote:All I could think about when I read the comic was "Lamp server"

By the way, to ecape the wordfilters, use an ascii null character

Ra­ndall.
Spoiler:
Alt+0173
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Dorp

Postby Dorp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Daggoth wrote:To all the people who did not enjoy this comic strip:

Who said anything about y'all's wishes?

You mean that xkcd is just Ran'dall ejaculation on our face?

... okay, that makes me far more worried about the fans than about the detractors.

Not meaning to insert myself back into the conversation... but in regards to the whole bukkake aspect don't knock it till you've tried it, honey. ;)

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

nealh wrote:
dp2 wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
LSN wrote:For a minute Thor I thought someone switched my XKCD bookmark with my C&H bookmark.

Most of the comics that aren't trying to be really nerdy or referencing something semi-obscure have been rather C&H like for awhile now.

I don't remember Calvin ever doing this to his tiger.

You beat me to it (ugh, pun really not intended). But seriously, I have no idea what else C&H would refer to and half-two could never profane the master, Bill Watterson.

I was being facetious and assuming it really refers to "Cyanide & Happiness", a comic which I'd never heard of before but which is linked in other posts.

halcyon1234

Postby halcyon1234 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

Catbertthegreat wrote:I thought that rubbing a lamp releases a Genie that sounds like Robin Williams?

And who looks like him.

Who then comes on you.

You're welcome.
Writing for The Daily WTF
A More Permanent Join
Bessy Keeps You Safe
Passed Around

"I think Internet message boards used to be a lot funnier 10 years ago -- I've sort of stopped reading their new posts." -- Simpsons writer Matt Warburton

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

I'm calling it: The genie is the 40,000 year-old virgin.

Reason: The stick figure character only gave it t­wo quick rubs and he was finished. Talk about pent-up.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

zAlbee

Postby zAlbee » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

Was it good for you too?

At least it wasn't a headshot.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:I liked it. It's a nice subversion of the selfish-male trope.

What.

kittengrl39

Postby kittengrl39 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

LSN wrote:For a minute Thor I thought someone switched my XKCD bookmark with my C&H bookmark.

New word found: th3re = Thor

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

zAlbee wrote:Was it good for you too?

At least it wasn't a headshot.

That's what she said.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

That was disgusting...
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

A_of_s_t wrote:That was disgusting...

that's what she said too!

rcox1

Postby rcox1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

While this comic can be considered gross, I find it interesting, even funny, in that it does tend to subvert certain cultural and gender idioms. The whole Genie in a bottle story kind of teaches that we can make people do our bidding simply by provided the proper force. While this is true of a tyrant, it is not really the behavior that a civil society wants to encourage. So this is funny because it shows that far from always being on the receiving end of pleasure, sometimes one has to make other people happy. The last frame really shows the disappointment of not getting free service.

Then there is the sexual component. Some people are very selfish partners, and honestly, most people young adults engage in what would be considered parallel play rather than coupling. In this case the fantasy of the female genie, who must do one's bidding, is subverted with idea of male genie who has derived satisfaction from the effort. Beyond the homophobic implications of the final frame is, again, the sheer disappointment that one has given something, even if it is just a token rub, without receiving anything in return. I think it speaks to some current notions about sex, that is just a way to get off, with no regard to what anyone else feels.

All in all I found it clever. While many sperm jokes do not really make an effort beyond the sex, I think this does earn some credibility. It works on many levels. I really don't know why many found it distasteful, perhaps it was because a guy was sexually active with another guy. It might be that though female homosexual references are ok, male references are still taboo.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

rcox1 wrote:While this comic can be considered gross, I find it interesting, even funny, in that it does tend to subvert certain cultural and gender idioms. The whole Genie in a bottle story kind of teaches that we can make people do our bidding simply by provided the proper force. While this is true of a tyrant, it is not really the behavior that a civil society wants to encourage. So this is funny because it shows that far from always being on the receiving end of pleasure, sometimes half-two has to make other people excited, we so excited. The last frame really shows the disappointment of not getting free service.

Then Thor is the sexual component. Some people are very selfish partners, and honestly, most people young adults engage in what would be considered parallel play rather than coupling. In this case the fantasy of the female genie, who must do half-two's bidding, is subverted with idea of male genie who has derived satisfaction from the effort. Beyond the homophobic implications of the final frame is, again and again, the sheer disappointment that half-two has given something, even if it is just a token rub, without receiving anything in return. I think it speaks to some current notions about sex, that is just a way to get off, with no regard to what anyone else feels.

All in all I found it clever. While many sperm jokes do not really make a effort beyond the sex, I think this does earn some credibility. It works on many levels. I really don't know why many found it distasteful, perhaps it was because a guy was sexually active with another guy. It might be that though female homosexual references are ok, male references are still taboo.

Either you are kidding, or you are Exhibit A of why xkcd haters tend to be so passionate.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

rcox1 wrote:it was because a guy was sexually active with another guy. It might be that though female homosexual references are ok, male references are still taboo.
What are you talking about? This comic is about a bald female who accidentally milked a female genie.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

I think I'm just going to start counting the number of people who don't read announcements. There's at least two in this thread alone. Maybe I'll make a fine poncho from their hides.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

I think I'm just going to start counting the letter of people who don't read announcements.

An announcement called "the madness begins" with a title post of "Oh me yarm WATCH OUT" doesn't describe anything to anyone. The newbies who need it still don't know what the hell is going on.

Edit: The word "wordfilter" appears once on the first page. It remains something people just need to figure out, but that announcement is absolutely useless except for older folk to celebrate the season.
Last edited by philsov on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

tehol

Postby tehol » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

canst thou understand what I actually meant, unfiltered?:

This Friday, let's talk about Randall and his poor english, because he should hammer out some better stuff. Maybe start a thread with ten important assessments of his various comics?
ACF Forum home--Lether lol, CN FTW Goodbye, O fiendish mind-thief Seems I can't escape
- tehol OR tehol this link kills spam?

ubikuberalles

Postby ubikuberalles » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

kbinferno wrote:This was the first comic that made me laugh out loud in a long time.

It was the first comic in a long time that made me say "Ewww!" out loud (after the ten seconds it took me to figure out the joke). /slow on the uptake.
Ranch!

addams

Re: :-(

Postby addams » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

KShrike wrote:
Icalasari wrote:...I'm going to go ahead and pretend this comic never happened...

I am in agreement because that was.... gross.... really gross....

I did not like this 0ne at all.... I'm really not all for this kind of humor.

Maybe Fr1day will be funny and less gross.

I, too, am going to pretend this comic never happened, because I personally like XKCD. Just not this comic.

My text is getting edited, and I do not like this. I don't like this saying things I don't want to say.

Funny. Very funny.
Both the comic and the text editing.
I have seen others notice the change from what we type to some other thing.

Dang funny. We are so smug, typing what we want to say. Then; Poof. Something else appears on the screen.
I liked the comic. It is a wholesome view of the realities of life. Sometimes, your wish comes true. Some times,....Well; You know.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

MightyJack

Postby MightyJack » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

I think I've seen this before in another cartoon.

Except it shot cooling fluid directly on the user's face.

Then it released some coins and said "Here is some cab fare" before going into sleep mode.

And it was available in larger black models.

snafubar

Postby snafubar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

I'm going to disagree with all the "eww" or "this is immature and lame" people and agree with the people disagreeing with them. Maybe that was redundant...

Anyway, I hang out in a small private irc channel of people who are all intelligent, educated, but also like to let loose with a lot of dirty jokes, even your mom jokes, etc. This comic absolutely hit home with me as something that a lot of people I know (who are also intelligent and capable of being intellectual) would like. Just because you know calculus or java or whatever doesn't mean you can't still let loose and have fun with the standard fair of the net and humanity, and probably even mock and improve upon it. As others said this is a well made version of the joke.
We are god's unwanted children, so be it!

Quaternia

Postby Quaternia » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

snafubar wrote:Just because you know calculus or java or whatever doesn't mean you can't still let loose and have fun with the standard fair of the net and humanity, and probably even mock and improve upon it. As others said this is a well made version of the joke.

I don't claim intellectual high ground. I just don't find it funny =/
Yakk wrote:hey look, the algorithm is a FSM. Thus, by his noodly appendage, QED

Dorp

Postby Dorp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:27 pm UTC

Quaternia wrote:
snafubar wrote:Just because you know calculus or java or whatever doesn't mean you can't still let loose and have fun with the standard fair of the net and humanity, and probably even mock and improve upon it. As others said this is a well made version of the joke.

I don't claim intellectual high ground. I just don't find it funny =/

It's alright, not everyone can appreciate the finer comedic subtleties of semen shooting out the spout of an oil lamp. Or, er, write an essay on it, as someone up yonder appears to have done? Christ y'all are a weird bunch.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Ehh, I think that already happened at least since comic 631.

I would be inclined to agree with you, except that our esteemed author did a Q&A type thing (I think during his book launch) where he mentioned being dismayed at a lot of people not getting 631, and I don't think the community ever came to a consensus as to what the hell 631's joke even was.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:00 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
rcox1 wrote:snipped because I care for humanity

Either you are kidding, or you are Exhibit A of why xkcd haters tend to be so passionate.

The second paragraph was largely bullshit, but the first was just a needlessly wordy explanation of the joke. It's funny because you expect the oImagene rubbing the lamp to gain satisfaction, but it is the genie who does so. Why he felt the need to actually come out and say that in a ridiculously verbose post, I don't know.

There are perhaps homophobic undertones; the joke would not function as well if the genie were female, but it would function equally well if the erstwhile wisher were. In any case, I think it safe to assume a commentary on gender discrepancies was not any part of RaImagendall's thought process in making this comic.

EDImageIT: Man these wordfilters are hilarious and not annoying at all.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:56 am UTC

HowLongs wrote:That's what grosses people out? A strip about ejaculation? Have you been to the rest of the series of tubes (old joke is old)?
Some people need to chill out and appericiate the fact that people with ann intellect such as Mewtwo's can loosen up and enjoy some toilet humor once in a while.

I find toilet humour funny. It's just, well, I never expected Randall to do anything like this, so it caught me off guard. And due to that and how the comic normally is, well, I'd rather forget that this one ever happened because it doesn't feel like a XKCD comic. I'd feel the same way if C&H suddenly did a comic that was like XKCD. It's less that I don't like the humour and more that Big Lipped Alligator Moments tend to not be too enjoyable for me

zAlbee

Postby zAlbee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:57 am UTC

Kalos wrote:I would be inclined to agree with you, except that our esteemed author did a Q&A type thing (I think during his book launch) where he mentioned being dismayed at a lot of people not getting 631, and I don't think the community ever came to a consensus as to what the hell 631's joke even was.

I had to check what 631 was, and I immediately laughed out loud. Who needs a consensus? It's a wikipedia joke.

sherlip

Postby sherlip » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:41 am UTC

I ROFL'ed. As a seventeen year old guy, should I not? This is gold.

SomeFloridaKid

Postby SomeFloridaKid » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:17 am UTC

i seriously laughed out loud for the first time in months to this comic.

fucking classic.
EXPAND: (a+b)^n
(a+b)^n
(a+b)^n
(a+b)^n

GENERATION 191,184,382 : The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

Colin OOOD

Postby Colin OOOD » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:45 am UTC

Cool Username wrote:Oh, and this mod madness is ridiculous. I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that this forum was staffed by adults.

It is staffed by adults, and it's their turn now to decide what that means.

wright2john

Postby wright2john » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:07 am UTC

You are better than this crap. Much better.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”