0879: "Lamp"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Brian-M

Re: 0879: "Lamp"

Postby Brian-M » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:06 am UTC

iChef wrote:You have to be more careful with oil lamps. Usually I keep a stopper in the end so the oil doesn't spill out like that. That could be dangerous and start a fire.

Not to mention expensive. Sperm oil is hard to come by these days. :wink:

(Google "sperm oil". Comes from sperm whales. Good for lamps and lubrication. Really.)

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:07 am UTC

eew.

just.....

eew.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

floreal

Postby floreal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:17 am UTC

Oh me yarm Randall made mod madness now? :D
ima finally get to lol abit about it then^^

its the 1st time ive noticed it before it was too late ^^

Grishnakh

Postby Grishnakh » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:20 am UTC

I love lamp!

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:45 am UTC

Clearly this comic was done all in the best possible taste!
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:22 am UTC

I liked it. It's a nice subversion of the selfish-male trope.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

dragonridingsorceress

Postby dragonridingsorceress » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:08 am UTC

Classy.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:21 am UTC

Woah, I never saw it cumming...
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:38 am UTC

I eeew'd out loud to this.

Took me a couple of seconds to get though. At first I innocently thought it was the slime mold from last week...

But yeah. Eeeew. :?
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

hugendubel

Postby hugendubel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:46 am UTC

Cmon people.
That's neither "eww" nor "gross". Get over your acquired prim pretentions and just have a hearty laugh...

Anyway: What are you guys talking about this "word and answer"? 1=bazillion, etc.

riddler

Postby riddler » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:49 am UTC

This is the first XKCD I've seen with a happy ending.

jonas

Postby jonas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 am UTC

bundat wrote:
Spoiler:
0=eighty bajillion 1=half-two 2=three 3=four 4=five 5=six 6=seven 7=eight 8=nine 9=two 10=double-five
Fr1day=the day on which you gotta get down
br3ak=POWERSLIDE
w0w=EQ2
Randa11=Mewtwo
L0L = ¡This cheese is burning me! (yeah, old school)
sh0uld=could
engl1sh=Galactic Basic
thr3ad = powwow
the f0rum=Pallet Town
hamm3r=Blastoise
imp0rtant = FUCKING VITAL

^ Can anyone find more?

Spoiler:
scienc3 => science

Inglonias

Postby Inglonias » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:08 am UTC

...Yeah. Didn't like this comic. Don't like the word filters either.

Dauthi

Postby Dauthi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:41 am UTC

Well. People will complain about everything.
    Too heavy-handed? Scathing condemnation.
    Too light-hearted? Arrogant dismissal.
    Too juvenile? Prudish disapproval.
    Too serious/humorless? Self-righteous rejection or contempt.
    Too m@th-/science-focused? Disdainful "I would have"s and/or hypercritical nitpicking.
    Too liberal artsy? Nostalgic asshattery pertaining to "the good old days" when Randall was ONE (1) OF US.
    Has a typo/grammatical/art issue? Patronizing derision and disappointment.
    Etc. etc.

Sheesh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt9jAkWie4

Spoiler:
M@th = spelling btw

Bo Lindbergh

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 am UTC

Vittorio Giardino did this gag already.

Dorp

Postby Dorp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:52 am UTC

Just coming out of lurking for the moment to say I lol'd hard, this was excellent, funny, and for once didn't rely on intellectual highbrowism to sell a joke. Don't get me wrong I like the smart jokes as much as anyone else, but at a certain point it's nice to get a break from having to wikipedia every fifth word of a given strip.

I also wanted to say, since I do in fact lurk here and thus will have no negative karmic backlash, that fully half of you are incredibly tight-assed pseudointellectuals that really need to knock back a fifth and stop being such huge gaping whiny pussies. Seriously, it was A SINGLE GODDAMN DICK JOKE and all you start sobbing like the implication of a genie getting a little action has scarred your virgin retinas. Are you honestly that immature? Is this really something you have to do, post all these high and mighty comments about how this joke is so below you and crass? Because I shit you not, kids, nobody gives a flying fuck how delicate your sissy little sensibilities are. Being a prudish asswad doesn't equal intelligence, it equals being a prudish asswad. So stop trying to make yourselves sound better than everyone else by being negative all the time, it's not working and honestly it makes you look more like an insecure idiot than anything else. If you legitimately don't like a comic, provide more constructive criticism than "it made me think of dirty things and I'm too emotionally scarred to deal with that." It's a funny comic, made funnier by the fact that it isn't what you would normally expect from the artist. Comedy = the unexpected, so just deal with it.

Ahhhhhh feels good to get that off my chest. Feel free to ban, I'll just anony-lurk. I really only read these forums to figure out what the math jokes mean anyway.

marsman57

Postby marsman57 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

Dorp, prude or not, that doesn't stop this joke from being unfunny and a bit gross.

As for constructive criticism, the only mildly amusing thing was the people in this topic who keyed in on the wordplay "rub to 'release' genie". If he had incorporated that into the first panel, I might have had a chuckle.

As for Mod Madness, I was IP banned for a short time last year (or maybe it was two years ago now) after expressing my opinion on such things. They seemed kind of 'sensitive' about it. That said, I checked this year's topic and didn't see any stern warnings from H.ammer about it.

Aic

Postby Aic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

What exactly makes the joke that gross? Please explain, anyone. It seems like sperm or sexual arousal equals "gross/immature" in general.
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

Superisis

Postby Superisis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

Genocito

Postby Genocito » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 pm UTC

Can I add one more "eeeeww"??

I still lol'ed though. If it was me, I wouldn't even be holding that thing in the last panel. XD

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 pm UTC

Bobbert wrote:
LSN wrote:For a minute there I thought someone switched my XKCD bookmark with my C&H bookmark.

Most of the comics that aren't trying to be really nerdy or referencing something semi-obscure have been rather C&H like for awhile now.

I don't remember Calvin ever doing this to his tiger.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

A page and a half and we have nothing from SirMustapha? I'm almost disappointed...

I lol'd at this and at the word filters. Mod Madness always gives me a giggle and I'm not overly fussed by how "gross" this comic is. Diff'rent strokes, I suppose.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

marcgaston

Postby marcgaston » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

jonas wrote:
bundat wrote:
Spoiler:
0=eighty bajillion 1=half-two 2=four 3=five 4=six 5=seven 6=eight 7=nine 8=two 9=three 10=double-five
Fr1day=the day on which you gotta get down
br3ak=POWERSLIDE
w0w=EQ2
Randa11=Mewtwo
L0L = ¡This cheese is burning me! (yeah, old school)
sh0uld=could
engl1sh=Galactic Basic
thr3ad = powwow
the f0rum=Pallet anthill
hamm3r=Blastoise
imp0rtant = FUCKING VITAL

^ Can anyone find more?

Spoiler:
scienc3 => séance

What is all the above about?

I am absolutely clueless...

Cheers

Marc

Dauthi

Postby Dauthi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:29 pm UTC

marsman57 wrote:Dorp, prude or not, that doesn't stop this joke from being unfunny and a bit gross.

Unfunny is obviously a matter of opinion, so whatever. As for gross, I'm sorry, but have you people been on the internet long? This is pretty inoffensive considering the other crap encountered in everyday browsing.

marsman57 wrote:As for constructive criticism, the only mildly amusing thing was the people in this topic who keyed in on the wordplay "rub to 'release' genie". If he had incorporated that into the first panel, I might have had a chuckle.

As for the comic, that particular pun is pretty much inherent in the joke. You really need it to be spelled out?

In any case, I've taken the initiative to sanitize the comic for all of you who find it distressingly uncomfortable so you can get on with your days and hopefully repress whatever feelings of violation were experienced due to this unfortunate event.

(Death jokes are surely more acceptable than semen-related puns... Surely.)
* Date was randomly picked and has no significance.

marcgaston wrote:What is all the above about? I am absolutely clueless...

Cheers
Marc

"Mod Madness" apparently. A script has been applied to the forum that change certain words into other words---usually this is seen as profanity filters. Right now though, it's being used more broadly. The lists are the original and "translated" words/phrases.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:48 pm UTC

This is why I always put the ends of lamps in my mouth before rubbing.

Batfish

Postby Batfish » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

I'm sorry, 'Splort'. Gross or not, it's worth it for that alone - it's like channeling Don Martin. Epic...

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

Random_Walker wrote:Am I the only o.ne who feels this is sort of an inverted "My penis grants wishes"?

Mine is a hamm3r so I don't see why others can't grant wishes.

Cool Username

Postby Cool Username » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

The punchline is somewhat crass, but credit where credit is due. RanBLOWMEFILTERdall did an excellent job in presenting the joke: he's showing and not telling (no pointless and extraneous second character saying "hey, a genie lamp"), there's no post-punchline dialogue, the alt-text isn't simply a rehashing of the same joke, and the comic isn't any longer than it needs to be. While it's not terribly difficult or impressive to make a funny dick joke, he definitely gets full marks for presentation.

Oh, and this mod madness is ridiculous. I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that this forum was staffed by adults.

Why, that's a very useful feature that I never noticed before (informing you of other posts made while you were composing yours). Nifty!
Last edited by Cool Username on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

With this comic, xkcd has officially lost the right to claim that its detractors aren't smart/nerdy enough to "get it."

ElectricTurtle

Postby ElectricTurtle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

Dorp wrote:[...] fully half of you are incredibly tight-assed pseudointellectuals that really need to knock back a fifth and stop being such huge gaping whiny pussies. Seriously, it was A SINGLE GODDAMN DICK JOKE and all you start sobbing like the implication of a genie getting a little action has scarred your virgin retinas. Are you honestly that immature? Is this really something you have to do, post all these high and mighty comments about how this joke is so below you and crass? Because I shit you not, kids, nobody gives a flying fuck how delicate your sissy little sensibilities are. Being a prudish asswad doesn't equal intelligence, it equals being a prudish asswad. So stop trying to make yourselves sound better than everyone else by being negative all the time, it's not working and honestly it makes you look more like an insecure idiot than anything else. If you legitimately don't like a comic, provide more constructive criticism than "it made me think of dirty things and I'm too emotionally scarred to deal with that." It's a funny comic, made funnier by the fact that it isn't what you would normally expect from the artist. Comedy = the unexpected, so just deal with it.

/Signed

~Another lurker

(Further, I haven't seen semen as gross since I threw away the bullshit social construction that sexual activity is in any way shameful (try it, it really improves your life). A lot of xkcd people seem to want to identify with a scientific perspective, but there is no room in scìence for that kind reflexive baseless fear and distaste. Instead of mentally running away, you should examine the subject and see if it's really as bad as everybody has told you it is. That is the scientific perspective, motherfuckers. And let me tell you, semen is fascinating. If you can look at all of its components objectively and still find anything short of awesome, I can't help you.)
Last edited by ElectricTurtle on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Karilyn

Postby Karilyn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

Horrible. Tasteless. Immature. I love it.

I feel like I should be ashamed of myself.
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:A page and a half and we have nothing from SirMustapha? I'm almost disappointed...

I was busy, a'right?

The bottom line to this comic is basically this: it's a shame that, in the first time in months that Ran'dall decided to do a well executed comic, the comic was that. The execution is flawless, but... um, what's that talk about xkcd being the most intelligent, the most intellectual, the most oh-my-god-I-am-so-awesome-because-I-am-geeky and the most genius comic ever? Maybe it's time for the sycophantic fans to realise that Ran'dall is not Jesus Christ?

Kalos wrote:With this comic, xkcd has officially lost the right to claim that its detractors aren't smart/nerdy enough to "get it."

Ehh, I think that already happened at least since comic 631.

Cool Username wrote:Oh, and this mod madness is ridiculous. I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that this forum was staffed by adults.

What?? You DARE have an opinion on the decision by the moderators to wreak havoc and cause "hilarious" incomprehension in what's been called the most intelligent and most awesome and most everyone-else-is-a-stupid-simpleton-and-I'm-awesome forum in all Internets? Whoa, YOU are obviously a sad, pitiful, disgraceful excuse for a humourless, boring and -- look, here comes the ultimate insult -- NON NERDY person ever! You clearly have no sense of humour and you don't talk to other people and you don't care about the Collatz conjecture and you're sad. You obviously never had any fun in your life and you never had sex with women.

Maybe now the people here will love me? :)

mmerc

Postby mmerc » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

Seriously, am I the only _one here who thinks this comic is a pun on the FOSS community?

ImTestingSleeping

Postby ImTestingSleeping » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

This is how I would feel if I saw the Wall Street Journal put out an article about Lindsay Lohan's latest antics.

Daggoth

Postby Daggoth » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

To all the people who did not enjoy this comic strip:

Who said anything about YOUR wishes?

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

Dauthi wrote:"Mod Madness" apparently. A script has been applied to Pallet Town that change certain words into other words---usually this is seen as profanity filters. Right now though, it's being used more broadly. The lists are the original and "translated" words/phrases.

Ok, what is Pallet Town?

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

Daggoth wrote:To all the people who did not enjoy this comic strip:

+1
Cool Username wrote:Oh, and this mod madness is ridiculous. I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that this forum was staffed by adults.
Its an xkcd fora tradition. Loosen up, traditions are meant to be upheld with light hearted feelings. If not, just leave the fora for a week, around feb or march every year
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

BrianB wrote:
Dauthi wrote:"Mod Madness" apparently. A script has been applied to Pallet anthill that change certain words into other words---usually this is seen as profanity filters. Right now though, it's being used more broadly. The lists are the original and "translated" words/phrases.

Ok, what is Pallet anthill?

The fоrums is filtered to "Pallet Tоwn", which is then hit by the tоwn -> anthill filter.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

nealh

Postby nealh » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
LSN wrote:For a minute there I thought someone switched my XKCD bookmark with my C&H bookmark.

Most of the comics that aren't trying to be really nerdy or referencing something semi-obscure have been rather C&H like for awhile now.

I don't remember Calvin ever doing this to his tiger.

You beat me to it (ugh, pun really not intended). But seriously, I have no idea what else C&H would refer to and one should never profane the master, Bill Watterson.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Daggoth wrote:To all the people who did not enjoy this comic strip:

You mean that xkcd is just Ran'dall ejaculation on our face?

... okay, that makes me far more worried about the fans than about the detractors.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”